9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

What is the use of the coins?

[Post New]by 9otters on Sep 2, 15 4:53 AM
That is the question. Where ARE the coins supposed to be used? I never saw anything about them.

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

Re:What is the use of the coins?

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Sep 2, 15 4:55 AM
You can buy more hints with them - good job too! I sort of like this game, but some bits are so odd - I'm getting through hints like no-ones business.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Sep 2, 15 5:03 AM
Was there something I missed that said that? Do you just drag them to the hint button?

That is so strange because I never had a problem with having hints available. Every time the hint charged up, it showed that ONE was available. I just never GOT any except for the one time.

I actually tried bribing the policeman to get some other response besides "I'm too busy to help", when he was just standing there, doing nothing. Lol!

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Sep 2, 15 6:15 AM
He perks up a bit later. By accident I found out that you can drag the town square - to reveal something on the far left.

I ran out of hints and was offered the opportunity to buy more with the coins - I think it always lets you have one, but reloads slowly - if you went through a phase like I did, scattering hints like confetti, then you have to pay!

tictacsix
Herring
Herring
304 Posts

[Post New]by tictacsix on Sep 2, 15 7:16 AM
You can revisit HOGS many times. For two reasons.
One is to buy extra hints (I collected over 200 coins.)
The second is, further into the game you have to buy objects from the merchant to use in some scenes.
It does not mention that the screen can in some cases scroll to the left or right. Some areas it will show arrows to where you may travel.
When your in front of the fountain it will later show an arrow to go to the castle but you MUST also manually hold down your mouse key and move the picture screen far left to where the merchant will be sitting waiting to sell his wares.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Sep 2, 15 12:41 PM
tictacsix said,

It does not mention that the screen can in some cases scroll to the left or right. Some areas it will show arrows to where you may travel.

Call me crazy, but that possibility should have been mentioned in the Help pages, OR the tutorial.

Too many important things left unsaid...

Edited on 09/02/2015 at 12:42:32 PM PST

Rob_Blake
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Rob_Blake on Sep 2, 15 2:23 PM
Thank you tictacsix for telling us about scrolling to the left in the town square to find the merchant. I agree that there should be an arrow indicating such, or that they should have said something about it in the instructions. I liked parts of the game, but I do find the HO puzzles monotonous, looking for the same objects over and over again. I have a few unused credits, so I did go ahead and get the game for free. It's not a very good game, but I have played plenty of demos over the years that were a lot worse or more boring than this one.

Edited on 09/02/2015 at 2:25:38 PM PST

kiddopal
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by kiddopal on Sep 16, 15 4:43 AM
I am not sure if the coins can be used to buy a hint. I only needed one hint early on. But I do know that you need the coins to purchase items from the merchant. (To get to the merchant you have to drag the scene left of the museum) The items which have price tags are items you will need eventually. But until you need them in the game you can click on the item but it will not react. The first item I purchased was the oiler. Before it was needed and I clicked on it, the message would just say it needed cleaning. Later on when I returned, because I knew a door needed oiling, then I was able to purchase it as well as other items. Then I ran out of money and needed another item from the merchant. So I had to find another HOS that offered the coins.

I really like this game and hope we get more like this one.

Go to: