Eden comments and reviews

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 22, 09 1:17 AM
Our game editors didn’t get a chance to complete their review of Eden before the game launched today. But please post your comments in this thread so other can hear what you thought of the game!

peachycat
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

Re:Eden comments and reviews

[Post New]by peachycat on Aug 22, 09 2:30 AM
This game is about as much fun as watching paint dry. I stopped playing before the full hour was up because if I didn't I would probably have slipped into an irreversible coma

Edited on 08/22/2009 at 5:39:37 AM PST

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Aug 22, 09 4:20 AM
I wonder if the developers were finished creating this game when they put it up for sale. Nothing seems quite finished, I played only about half the demo but ... difficult to express what I didn't like because I found it all rather confusing. First game I remember playing where the music and sounds are set at off on default and that started it off oddly then the written bits made little sense, they threw in some nice info on flowers but then announced what the next flowers would be in the Match 3 grid and they didn't seem to be the same as they had announced. Not even sure how the game play was supposed to go although I managed to pass each level okay.

All in all I give it a thumbs down although I suppose I shouldn't whine since there have been a couple of great Match 3s lately. Maybe someone else will be able to review it more clearly.

Edited to add that when I clicked quit I got a Windows message saying the game had stopped working, now that hasn't happened to me on any game for a long time.

Edited on 08/22/2009 at 4:24:41 AM PST

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Aug 22, 09 4:40 AM
I played the demo and also was confused during gameplay. At first, when I saw the graphics, I thought it would be a beautiful game to play and have some good gamplay. Then I couldn't figure out what to do for a while. Then the scripts didn't seem to match the flowers you were supposed to find.

I couldn't figure out if the squares were supposed to turn to water or why the bottom glasses were there, since you just had to match up squares to reach the goal on the right.

Pretty boring gameplay, but the graphics were pleasing. I don't think I will purchase it. Sorry.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Aug 22, 09 5:15 AM
I played for 20 minutes and deleted it.

The best things I can say for it was the loading progress screen (where the rose bloomed and the photos got color) was really very pretty & it appeared to be untimed.

Things I did not like included:
Not knowing what flowers to collect - told to get pointsettas but they were not on the playing field
Power-ups popped onto the field in random places and then you had to match them to use them.
Every screen looked the same - of course that might have changed had I played longer.
Uninteresting music that you had to turn on

There were more reasons but why belabor the point.

Jess

labrat33
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by labrat33 on Aug 22, 09 8:06 AM
Agree with all the above. The graphics are pretty, I love Match 3 games, but this one has no point, apparently, and the designer must have some mental processing problem. Definitely NOT a winner!!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Aug 22, 09 8:15 AM
The music is relaxing, yes. The match-3 boards are square tiles on a square layout, which I find extremely boring. Yes, when you get a full column matched over the water empties below, but I couldn't figure out what the end level condition was. I just kept making matches until it told me I had won. Not a keeper, IMO.

[Post New]by claudius41ad on Aug 22, 09 8:16 AM
bfgFlounder wrote:Our game editors didn’t get a chance to complete their review of Eden before the game launched today. But please post your comments in this thread so other can hear what you thought of the game!

I don't post very often. I gave it a try and I think that the "game editors." should complete reviews before launching the game.
After fifteen minutes of assessment...........I deletied it.

I notice that a lost of posters are from the USA. Therefore greetings from England. (I think that BF have slipped up this time.)

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 22, 09 8:39 AM
I've played the game for 40 minutes, and find that in spite of the boring screen format, it does get more interesting as you gain powerups. Although I agree the game has a very unfinished feel, I think I'll have to buy it just to see where it goes. Maybe my purchase will spur on the developers to make a more "finished" version 2.

I think the text, where it names flowers to concentrate on, is talking about the graphics that are behind the text, not the flowers that are game pieces (those always stay the same). The flowers that grow in the pots seem to be the ones named.

I'll reluctantly give it out of four.

jampony
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by jampony on Aug 22, 09 10:05 AM
I didn't play more than five minutes before exiting uninstalling it.

I think the game and my computer are not compatible because every time the game refreshed (which happened every few seconds after each instruction or when it was switching to a new screen) everything sort of flashed like a strobe light. It was as if there were no transitions between screens. It was incredibly annoying.

Also, I have no patience for any game that contains spelling errors. Those get uninstalled immediately.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 22, 09 10:11 AM
jampony wrote:Also, I have no patience for any game that contains spelling errors. Those get uninstalled immediately.

Spelling errors bother me, too. However, if I uninstalled every casual game that contained a spelling error, I would pretty much have to give up playing them altogether. In fact, I will go further and say that offhand I can't think of a single one that I have played that didn't have at least one.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 22, 09 10:43 AM
I wanted to do a follow-up to my earlier post, now that I've gotten quite a ways into the game. The background screens (the ones on which your flowers grow) continue to be gorgeous and the depictions of the flowers (I am a flower nut) are amazingly accurate. I especially give points to the Chinese/Japanese water garden.

There is a mini-game that comes up in that part of the game that is a "group-clear" match game with somewhat inscrutable rules.

The "bubbles" powerup does not seem to work for me. Even though the bubbles fill, nothing happens, and the scoreboard tells me I did not earn the bonus. Everything else seems to work fine. I especially like the "jade" powerup, which is both a wild card (it will match any token) and a freely movable piece (you can move it without a match). If you match it as a wild card, you will get a much better bonus than if you just move it, but in some positions, just moving it can be very helpful. The "fairy" bonus, which you get by making a match-5 (not easy on this small board) is fun also.

So, having played this game for a while, I would report this to those who have not bought it yet: It doesn't get a lot more interesting, although some. The graphics are very nice. The dialog is somewhat silly, but tolerable. The music is pleasant. If you like to play slowly and think through how to get match-4s and match-5s, it is a nice game to play. The powerups are easy to understand (I hate powerups I have to memorize all kinds of information about). Not a superstar, but a pleasant also-ran.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 22, 09 11:12 AM
Thank you, ecblisa; your comments are always helpful to me when deciding as to whether or not to buy a game.

BellaGirl27
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by BellaGirl27 on Aug 22, 09 11:24 AM
Well I just downloaded the demo and then read the comments, now i'm thinking this one wont be so great now???
We shall see and return with our findings!
And yes, thankfully there have been other new match 3 games lately, which makes me happy

Sure enough I can always count on the pond!! I agree with my other fishes on this one, and deleted it after 27 minutes!
It doesn't seem like it was completed prior to release. Also, it would be nice if they told you the object of a board to pass, it's kind of bizarre!
The goal of the game is ....is very unclear!
Sorry its a from me!

Edited on 08/22/2009 at 1:33:16 PM PST

[Post New]by Schltchr on Aug 22, 09 11:35 AM
The game loads up VERY slowly and I can't even get past the main screen! The cursor moves jerkily and will not activate what I finally get it on to click. I have tried rebooting my system and have gone into the game 5 or 6 times now...wasted 15 minutes of the trial time and I think although I love Match 3 games, this one will get trashed. Sorry BF!

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Aug 22, 09 2:03 PM
Thought I would add that I think the object to 'Pass' a board is to fill up the water progress bar at the bottom. The more water you let down the faster it fills, so clearing a column to make a water fall is better than little drips.

Because the bar it is clear it is easy to overlook.

Jess

[Post New]by Thermodynamics on Aug 22, 09 2:08 PM
I am using Win 7 RC 64 bit and this game was completely unplayable. The game lagged so much that it was a challenge just to shut the game off. My computer was no where near being fully taxed but the game just would not keep up. I have played less that 2 minutes of the demo and will now delete it.

Nanner7506
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Nanner7506 on Aug 22, 09 4:12 PM
worst game ever. what goals? didn't know the flowers and when i did recognize a name, it wasn't there! hated it!

Toffifee
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,383 Posts

[Post New]by Toffifee on Aug 24, 09 1:04 PM
The graphic card of my Vista PC seemed to hate this game; had to wait for any reaction longer than I played. Even uninstalling the game after 15 minutes was not easy - the game manager told me the game was still running and I had to shut down the PC completely.
Didn't quite get the rules of the game, info is not sufficient for me.
No but

[Post New]by Alice187 on Aug 24, 09 2:15 PM
Cheers to Ecblisa, your posts are always objective. I just wanted to follow up with some comments. The game seems unfinished after I found the buble power-up or that "fungus" mini-game work by obscure rules. Each minigame is won by filling the bottom progress bar (right under the board) and not by unlocking the power-ups (the progress bar from the right). The power-ups only help you later in the game.
I personally enjoyed the water minigame (the other two minigames are still a guess for me). It has a new mechanics, you need to fill an entire column with water (just do matches and fill the tiles behind the pieces) to collect it and you will see the way the water falls into the glasses from the bottom.
I am a big fan of graphics and I spent some time to admire all details of animations. If you watch closely the backgrounds with locations have different detail animations and they get better and better during the game in this regard. The game is more fun if you just want to spend time in a match-3, watching nice graphics and it isn't timed. Even if the game its not polished and feels incomplete, I like the feeling of match 3 and maybe the next version will use the good things from this one we will have a better second version. I think making the backgrounds interactive (maybe customization?) will be a nice start.
Buttom line, again Ecblisa is right, "not a superstar, but a pleasant also-ran".

Go to: