Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Whispering Marsh Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 3, 15 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 09/03/2015 at 6:33:05 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Whispering Marsh Collector's Edi

[Post New]by 9otters on Sep 3, 15 1:42 AM
Myths of the World games can be a bit "hit or miss" for me. I DO like some elements of this game. Some others, not so much.

We have a story about the lights that can sometimes be seen at night in swamps and marshes. I've always known them as will-o-the-wisps. In this game, they are "evil".

The game gimmick is a lamp that dispels them. We put it together and use it twice in the demo. Of course, we have to fuel it, and every time we use it we have to replace the oil. We find oil. We make oil. We play 3 repetitive, progressively harder mini-games each time we use it. Sigh.

I'm getting pretty bored with this same routine in games. It MIGHT not be so bad, but it will depend on how many times we have to do it. And then there is the oil replacement part...

Collectibles are called "signs", but they are really elaborate acorns. I saw nothing to say how many have to be found. Of course, it is Eipix, so there is a game in the extras that can be played to collect any we miss. If I'm really absorbed in the game, I often prefer to save them for later.

There is also something called a "Lorebook", unlocked after main and bonus games have been played.

13 achievements, 5 with stars to earn. 18 puzzles/mini-games with a reset feature, and 16 HOPs with morphs, can be replayed in the extras. Mah-jongg is the alternate game. It can also be played in the extras. Standard Eipix Souvenir Room.

I found the jump map to be a bit confusing, but it might be because I'm a little tired. I forgot to look at the Strategy Guide...again. Graphics very good. Cut scenes a bit blurry. Voice-overs could be better, but they're generally ok.

I really enjoyed the HOPs and mini-games. I found the story to be slightly confusing but, again...tired. Lol. I don't sleep very well, which is why I'm up, and thankful, to have a demo to play. Also...thanks to all who give wonderful positive reinforcement for these reviews.

Because the excellent sale for Game Club members is probably still working, I will add this game to my collection. I'm guessing it will be one of those that is lovely to look at and pretty easy to play. Happy gaming, everyone!

edit: Ooops. Another thing I forgot. It probably goes without saying, because it's standard for Eipix, but I'll say it anyway. There are four levels of difficulty and a locking inventory.

Edited on 09/03/2015 at 5:16:00 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Whispering Marsh Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Sep 3, 15 6:33 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Myths of the World: The Whispering Marsh Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Myths of the World: The Whispering Marsh Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Whispering Marsh Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by belamba on Sep 3, 15 3:28 PM
I'm getting tired of Eipix games. They are too samey and seem to be rushing game after game out, instead of being more original. Mainly good HOPs, puzzles getting a bit bland, gameplay too linear and the repetition of joining things or drawing shapes is really boring.
Graphics are always excellent, and the music is bearable.
Just same old games with different storylines.
Like the custom mode, and unlike Elephant games these are sparkle free when they are turned off.
Not a buy for me...buy one you've bought them all of late.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Whispering Marsh Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 4, 15 1:44 AM
What a surprise; the CE today is an Eipix game Yet another episode in their vast catalogue of game series that pretty much plays just like all the others. I agree with Belamba; buy one and you've bought them all of late.

Having said that, I did buy it as I was desperate for something new to play and the member's sale was a good deal. And it's nice enough in it's way; graphics are always good, HOS are the usual but varied and have a morphing object to find. Some of the puzzles take a fair bit of thought (or looking at the SG!) but as ever the developer has to ruin the game by having a 'gadget' that you have to use over and over again This time it's a lantern, which you have to find oil for but don't have to light. Must be self-igniting oil. Then you aim it at the dancing lights and are forced to play a 'connect the shapes' game every time. This gets progressively harder as you go through the game and really boring the more times you have to do it Thank goodness for the skip button.

There are collectibles in the form of acorns but as ever, if you miss them you can find them all in the extras section. To be honest I didn't take much notice of how many chapters there are but quite a few I think. The play can be customised to suit and the map transports. You can also earn achievements and play Mah-jong instead of the HOS.

As I said, it's nice enough in it's way but Eipix really need to come up with something fresh and original, instead of relying on past series that have become stale.

ETA: No technical issues with the demo or full game but had to d/l full game twice as had install error 766. Desktop running Win7 Pro 64-bit.

Edited on 09/04/2015 at 1:50:28 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 4, 15 2:23 PM
Hello friends! Well, we have #7 in this series. Naturally I have them all, but not all CE versions. This one has excellent graphics and animation. Colors are very bright and clear, but not over powering. Game play was very good, no problems or lag during the demo. Very smooth movements. I really liked the music, which is quite unusual for me. It played right into what was happening at the time and didn't constantly repeat only a few notes. Voice overs are excellent and in sync with mouth movements, and had emotion, fear, urgency, etc. There is not a lot going on all at the same time, so the game is a bit quiet. The sound FX you do hear are well done.

HOPs are a combination of IHOP, lists and silhouettes, so you don't get bored with the same thing all the time. I actually didn't run across that many HOPs during the demo. I accidentally found a morphing object in a HOP, so be on the lookout for them. HOPs are fairly clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. Puzzles are very simple and take no brain power, but one did take me a little time to complete. Hint system is very helpful and it does transport you to longer locations. I like this feature, as you do back track frequently. Yes, there is a jump map, but I didn't care for the need to click on the location and then go up and click on a picture of the location. Much prefer one click and you are there. It's the small things. This game is easy to follow, so I didn't find the need to use the SG. I only use it to make sure I have all the collectibles anyway, but this didn't list them in the demo.

The only collectibles I found are the "signs" that actually look sort of like ornate acorns. They blend well with other scenery and are not as easy to spot as you may think. They can be found, but you do have to look for them. They are varying sizes as well.

I really like how this game is set up. It flows extremely well and every move makes sense. I beta tested this one a few months ago and really liked it. I gave it a 4.25 at that time and I think I'll stick with that. It isn't all that exciting or challenging, and the demo was pretty short, but there is something about it that makes me want to play it out. The narrative at the end of the demo was exceptional. That alone might make you want it. I think all levels of players will find this addition to the series enjoyable. Yes, I am going to add this to my ever growing collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Sep 7, 15 8:22 AM
This game with its multiplicity of costumes ranging over as much as 50 to 100 years, its similarity to so many other Eipix games (note the magic lantern), just didn't hold me. Plus, did anyone involved in the game's creation even try to look up the meaning of "bounder?" While it's not a U.S. term, is old-fashioned and historically British, bounder generally means a man of really dubious moral character. Every time someone calls the character "Bounder," I just shake my head. It's almost laughable. The game begins with a carriage crash as opposed to a car crash, but it's the same formulaic thing -- missing people, but set back in some never-never land. There are a lot of nice touches as people have mentioned, including the collectible acorns (pretty easy to spot) and morphing objects in the mini-games, but the story didn't excite me and the constant shifting from one era to another in costume drove me crazy. However, the "Bounder" thing really decided me. I can't play a game which is tone-deaf. Sorry.

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Sep 9, 15 6:06 PM
Eipix Games always have beautiful art work. That being said, the "Aleida" character is absolutely stunning! Lots of care and details are in the game, but this "lady" is truly beautifully done. Bravo!

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Sep 15, 15 1:08 PM
Based on completed game and bonus

The game description has already been beautifully covered by other reviewers and so I shall limit myself to game strangeness on this one.

This is standard Eipix. It looks beautiful and is well constructed. It doesn't really stand out to me, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just a thing. This was a very well made casual game and was enjoyable.

The only thing I would like to toss out there about this one is the level of challenge here. There are 6 chapters in the main game. I played along through the first 5 chapters thinking to myself "Typical Myths of the World - stupendously easy." Then all of a sudden I hit the last chapter and Eipix woke up or something. The lantern circle/triangle puzzles got difficult and took some strategy. There were a couple of other puzzles in there that got jacked up. I was surprised and elated, but asked, "Did it have to take that long?"

Here's my opinion on the above. For people that love more challenging games, they had to play an awful long time to get there. And for people that put the emphasis on casual in their casual games, they may well be a little irritated that their stroll in the park took a steep incline in order for them to finish. I don't know if this bizarre placement of challenge is going to make anyone happy.

(And again, Eipix, you are seriously making me weep at the prospect of your name on MCF - I don't see you doing this right from what you are putting out in your other series )

madstitcher54
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by madstitcher54 on Sep 18, 15 4:56 PM
I agree that this game is beautiful to look at. Boring to play. And what's with the end? Looks like they needed to end it.

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: The Whispering Marsh Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by julesmarie on Oct 15, 15 3:29 PM
Didn't mind the main game, at first, started to get a little same old same old, bits got me entertained, by the time I reached bonus part, couldn't even be bothered to look for extras, and I've just quit playing the bonus part, so much animation in games at the moment, I feel I should be about 8/9 years old, watching a fairy tale again !!

Some nice pictures, some nice hidden object games and puzzles. Monotonous game again, waste of my money personally.

Edited on 10/15/2015 at 3:35:23 PM PST

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Oct 28, 15 12:54 PM
I consider this game a big for me! No tech problems makes this a (Windows XP). The background artwork is gorgeous! I didn't find all of the morphing objects and really wish their location was included in the SG. Please reconsider EIPIX. I also wish the collectible items could be gathered during the game rather than after the game is completed. What is the purpose of that? All in all, a very positive, high quality experience I have come to expect from the developers and no tech problems for me!

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Jan 31, 16 6:44 PM
I agree with dollyflower and the rest of the well written positive Reviews that my fellow Fishies have given

I really enjoyed this "Myths" as well as all the previous ones
Gameplay was smooth and the artwork breathtaking so if the game was not sophisticated in difficulty the art was relaxing

I have recently started to 'Control-Escape' and 'Google Image' Items (ie: halcyon and tinder lighter) in the hidden object scenes that were called by somewhat unfamiliar names and really appreciate how the Developers research many of their objects.

& 1/2 out of 5

Played on new PC desktop running factory installed Win.10 with no problems

Edited on 01/31/2016 at 6:46:13 PM PST

Go to: