Magda640
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

Myths of the World: The Whispering Marsh

[Post New]by Magda640 on Sep 4, 15 8:47 AM
Okay, my big question is: what is a "County Bounder"? I know it's the usual detective (who always works alone), but what is that exactly? I already own six of the Myths of the World games (yes, I'm a compulsive collector), but I couldn't get into this one.

ganonsbane
Catfish
Catfish
1,595 Posts

Re:Myths of the World: The Whispering Marsh

[Post New]by ganonsbane on Sep 4, 15 9:23 AM
I tried a search & found Bounder: 1560s, "one who sets bounds," agent noun from bound.

I guess it's an Agent that deals with County Boundaries but that's just a guess.

Magda640
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Magda640 on Sep 9, 15 9:55 AM
Thanks for the reply, ganonsbane. That really clears it up...sorta!

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Sep 10, 15 7:33 PM
I think that bad guys back then were called Rounders (Once a dissolute person known to skirt round the edges of the law), so the Bounders were the ones who rounded them up and bound them?

Now, then....If Reivers (who were Scottish Boundary raiders in the 13th cent) were the same as Rounders, would the sheriff's have been called Beavers?

However....I have seen Bounders used the same as Rounders (especially in G.B where it is not something nice to call another person)......
but, I have also seen Bounder as used as "one who patrols the Boundaries) (especially in Middle Earth as employed in the Shire)

It seems that so much depends upon what century or country where one is.

Most of the Rounders I have met in the USA were in singing groups that did old timey stringband music.....that sang about Rounders and Reivers and good time Janes.

now, if only the internet could be direct wired to my brain, so I would not have had to search so many pages to get away from Rounders as a form of Baseball practiced in G.B. or as a Movie about card sharks, that is either very much loved or very, very boring and poorly done....depending as well, on what one likes or not.

Vive le information age.....and games that make us ask Questions.

TeachumWell
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by TeachumWell on Sep 12, 15 11:10 AM
Just a side note: In some versions of the song "Casey Jones" the term "rounder" is used for a railroad engineer. I've asked trainfan friends and they say that the term was used because of the huge round wheels on steam engines in the 1800's. But I tend to go with the "boundary" idea as being a border watched by a "bounder". Keeps one guessing doesn't it?

Go to: