bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Time Machine: Evolution comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 24, 09 1:07 AM
Our game editors didn't get a chance to complete their review of Time Machine: Evolution before the game launched today. But please post your comments in this thread so others can hear what you thought of this game!

cheffie45
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

Re:Time Machine: Evolution comments and reviews

[Post New]by cheffie45 on Aug 24, 09 1:19 AM
wow my demo went to fast, its a keeper for me! unique match 3, i dont mind the timer too much cause i liked to be challenged, although i cuss a lot more having to replay a level lol, i like the mood thingie

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Aug 24, 09 5:56 AM
It's a match three that is different. You fire in from a cannon type thing to change the colour of one tile to make a 3, . the idea being to collect the crystals that are in some of the tiles - you have to collect the number required to finish the round. Loads of upgrades you can buy, lightning, bombs, time freeze, time extend. I have got past the first era and my heroine now looks like a greek goddess rather than a cave girl in a dodgy B movie, but - I can't seem to finish in time. Usually on match 3 games I get to the end of the trial, or even buy it before I start to run out of time, but I've failed several levels. Not the end of the world because you can go back to the shop and try a different array of upgrades, but worrying for me - I'm not usually this bad this early!

There is a mood-ometer that shows what mood the heroine is in, but she seems to get angry with me even when I am matching like crazy - probably my fault for being too impatient to read the instructions.

Haven't made my mind up yet - just because of my high failure rate

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Aug 24, 09 6:14 AM
NO RELAXED - NO SALE

Which is a shame because with that option, or even a more forgiving Timer, or one that just counts against points, this would have been a for sure buy for me. I've been hunting for a new Match 3. I like to listen to audio books and play these to zone out as a pain management thing when I have migraines. Clearly adrenalin and migraines don't mix! So while I like the mechanic of sort of Marble Popper meets Match 3, the music is great, and I was interested in what I was building and where the story might go, I failed very early on and found that heart speeding up rush thing which many find pleasurable and I reeeeeeally do not.

Additionally, a negative only because of the timed aspect was the fact that once a tile was locked into a power up it could not be over written, so you could in fact trap yourself by making 4+ tile matches, which is normally a good thing. This would have been an interesting thing to explore from a strategy standpoint but IMO strategy while under the gun is almost impossible, at least for me.

So, good game, but no sale.

boptab
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by boptab on Aug 24, 09 6:39 AM
I agree poodlebear. 2 fast for me.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Aug 24, 09 6:41 AM
Just in case the developer of this game actually visits the forums here, I'll second Poodlebear's review.
NO RELAXED MODE = NO SALE

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by susielee on Aug 24, 09 7:19 AM
I agree with eveyone. I'm ususally a good player, but the time kept running out and I had to replay the levels several times. I don't like the pressure of the timer. I try too hard because I'm a good player, but, timers always raise my blood pressure which is bad for me, so, I don't buy them.

giggyann
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by giggyann on Aug 24, 09 7:33 AM
I won't even try a game without a relaxed timer. This sounded like a good game too, oh well.

No relaxed mode = No sale

giggyann

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 24, 09 8:00 AM
This is an interesting game that I like a lot more than I thought I would. However, I am already running out of time on the second set of levels, and I agree with everyone else that there should be a relaxed mode with a no-timer option. Personally I would prefer to try to slog it through with the timer, but with both choices available it ensures that all would be able to complete the game.

[Post New]by gameprofile on Aug 24, 09 9:05 AM
When I played, the cannon would not shoot legitimate matches. The computer would circle (highlight) a move to make that would work and the one I tried might work 2 or3 moves later. I want to have a more responsive cannon that I control not the game. Lost interest quickly and did not even complete the trial. A definite no sale from this gamer.

juliebr
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by juliebr on Aug 24, 09 10:19 AM
I have never posted before because I am just a casual gamer. However, I thought it was just me who was unable to finish more than a few levels. Keeping a timer would be fine, but only if the time was increased. I really liked the game but I threw it out since I was unable to succeed even through the trial.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 24, 09 10:39 AM
I can't move the mouse that fast, and it takes me a while to learn the game rules (like not being able to zap tokens with bonuses attached), so I timed out for the first time at level 2. And I'm not that bad at marble poppers like Zuma --almost made it to the end of that one.

If there were no timer, I would really like this game. It's different, imaginative, and has the kinds of power-ups I like (ones you can just collect without having to select the "right" one).

So, please -- tell those game developers: Not having an untimed version will seriously reduce your sales. Why can't you get that????

Meanwhile, because the game may well be very nice for young, mobile adrenaline junkies, I'll give it .

dexter3657
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by dexter3657 on Aug 24, 09 10:58 AM
I am agreeing with the sentiments of the pond. I actually LIKE timers (gives you a goal to achieve) but the one in this game is way too short. When playing the demo and you feel that you will only be able to succeed at the next few levels, you are unlikely to buy. I have several games that I enjoyed playing but felt that they got too hard to fast and this is just one more of those. Adding an untimed mode would help the fishies that don't like timers at all. I would prefer to see some sort of "untimed - easy - medium - hard" options modes. I think this would allow everyone to play at their comfort levels. That is just my humble opinion.

I also felt that this games does not give you full instructions during the tutorial. It did not tell me that I could change the colour of the charge by left clicking. I had to read the "help" files to find that out. The last page on the help files - the words on the bottom of the screen were cut off. Not sure if it is like that for everyone but was for me. I don't think it's a screen size issue - there were pictures - borders etc that were below the cut off words that I could see.

There was also a mini game "find the matched type" that came with NO instructions. I was just looking a several tiles with no idea what I was suppose to be doing. Being a gamer you figure it out, but instructions would be good.

All in all I really liked this game and I would buy it if the timer was less aggressive. It's really too bad, this is a unique take on match 3 - I wish the developers would let us enjoy it.

Edited on 08/24/2009 at 10:59:49 AM PST

[Post New]by LadyJo007a on Aug 24, 09 11:20 AM
[b][i]I have come here to decide if I wanted to check out a game many times and it has helped me to decide. I love the reviews and usually agree with what most of you say. I have to agree with you this time also. I like the game, but the timer is too short and it would be so much better if there was an option of not having a timer. Thank you for your information and thoughts. They have been helpful and insightful. Have brightened my days and made me smile at times.

I have been a BF fan for over 2 years and love them. Have been buying their games and have more than I can count. Thank you BF and thank you everyone for your reviews and comments.

ZEUSYLOO
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by ZEUSYLOO on Aug 24, 09 12:04 PM
I really enjoyed the game but timer was way too fast to even come close to finishing a level. 25 gems to get and the clock is way to fast...............too bad

anki6969
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by anki6969 on Aug 24, 09 12:30 PM
I want a relaxed mode too!!!
I liked the game very much. It was a different approach, but as others have mentioned it was nearly a penalty to make too much 4+ matches
I ran out of time several times during the trial so it ´s a no buy for me too

[Post New]by Sedona2002 on Aug 24, 09 12:35 PM
I agree, no relaxed mode - no sale. Plus I have a problem with my cursor being unresponsive. It seems to "float". This really slows things down and is frustrating. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Aug 24, 09 1:41 PM
No relaxed mode = No sale

I deleted it as soon as I ran out of time. What a shame. Very different game mechanism - I would have bought it.

machamc
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by machamc on Aug 24, 09 5:16 PM
This is my first time writing to a forum. I usually read the reviews and comments even before starting a game and was very discouraged by everything written about TIme Machine but decided to give it a try anyway.

I had no problem completing every level I played before the demo time ran out when I was near the end of the 3rd stage. I enjoyed the game and felt no pressure trying to complete the levels. I think the difference was because I bought all the time bonuses and made sure I used them.

My only problem with buying the game is that is seems really short as it only shows 5 stages and I had nearly finished the 3rd stage when the demo time ended. Unless there are further levels after the 5 stages, the game is much too short for the cost.

I would encourage anyone who decides to play the demo to be sure you buy the time freeze and time addition bonuses.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 24, 09 5:28 PM
Thank you for your input, machamc. I do believe that you are right in saying that time bonuses are a key ingredient in completing the levels in time, as after I used those appropriately, I did manage to pass some levels where previously I had failed.

I really like this game and would still consider purchasing it if there are more levels than there would appear to be. I hope that someone will come along and tell us just exactly how many levels there are in this game.

Go to: