is it any good?

erincecily
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

is it any good?

[Post New]by erincecily on Aug 24, 09 6:21 PM
a question for all you safecracker owners. is this game any good?

Edited on 08/25/2009 at 2:24:12 PM PST

1_of_5
Marlin
Marlin
8,238 Posts

Re:is it any good?

[Post New]by 1_of_5 on Aug 24, 09 6:29 PM
While I don't know if the PC version is any good I do know that it is coming out for the Nintendo DS.

erincecily
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by erincecily on Aug 24, 09 6:43 PM
i'll wait for just a couple more people to give it a good review before i think even of buying it!

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Aug 24, 09 6:45 PM
I hated it. I had to buy the strategy guide, and I was following it step by step because I couldn't figure out any of the puzzles on my own. I gave up after a while because what's the use of playing if you're just following the guide step by step?

erincecily
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by erincecily on Aug 24, 09 6:55 PM
hhmm....i'll have to put BinLA's review into cosideration too

FishFriend
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by FishFriend on Aug 24, 09 7:06 PM
I bought it but it's never held my interest I've never gotten very far.

I've started it several times but quickly get bored and go on to a different game. I usually love puzzle games but this one just doesn't "grab" me.

I haven't been able to to figure out the reason. Some of the puzzles are hard but not impossible. Maybe I haven't been in the right mood when I've been playing it.

It's been a while since I've looked at it... maybe I'll give it another go one of these days.

WinonaCook
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,870 Posts

[Post New]by WinonaCook on Aug 24, 09 7:14 PM
I tried it and didn't care for it. I am not good at the kind of puzzles it has in it and it made me dizzy with the almost 360 viewing. I was often at a loss as to where to go and felt I missed some important clue that would have made "cracking" a code easier. I never looked at a walkthrough. It seemed I would need one through the whole thing.

leacraw
Shark
Shark
14,048 Posts

[Post New]by leacraw on Aug 24, 09 7:38 PM
BinLA wrote:I hated it. I had to buy the strategy guide, and I was following it step by step because I couldn't figure out any of the puzzles on my own. I gave up after a while because what's the use of playing if you're just following the guide step by step?

I wasn't quite at the hate it stage but did find it really boring after a while to always need the guide.

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Aug 24, 09 8:05 PM
I loved this game! Although it did test my patience and I had to stop playing for a while until I finally figured out how to navigate the fountain so I could finish the game. The walkthrough really didn't help very much and I found it confusing. I did better on my own by simply navigating thru the game by trial and error. For me this is surprising because I rarely play a large file game, but this one was really worth the effort!

Jewels69988
Herring
Herring
364 Posts

[Post New]by Jewels69988 on Aug 24, 09 8:57 PM
If you like logic puzzles and any type of puzzle, this game is it. I loved it. Only had to use a walkthrough on one puzzle. I have also replayed the game several times. Takes a good long while to finish.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Aug 24, 09 10:11 PM
I LOVED it!! This is my kind of game! The puzzles are quite challenging, and I really like the 360 look-around. I hate walkthroughs, because they tell you too much. I like the Universal Hint System much better. The people who write the hints are very good at it, and it prods your brain without giving anything away.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Aug 24, 09 10:45 PM
I think this is one of those games that you really have to try out to see if it's suited to the way your own mind works, I would need not only a walkthrough but somebody standing over my shoulder helping But if it does suit you you'll probably love it.

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Aug 25, 09 3:41 AM
Erincecily; Did you do free trial? I did Safecracker and found it a challenge. Had to use Guide a couple of times. Everyone has their own opinion.

erincecily
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by erincecily on Aug 25, 09 9:38 AM
CYNTHIA wrote:Erincecily; Did you do free trial? I did Safecracker and found it a challenge. Had to use Guide a couple of times. Everyone has their own opinion.
well, actually, there is no free trial for large file games, so the fishies around here kinda have to buy it and hope for the best that it's good.

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Aug 25, 09 9:40 AM
I disliked it intensely. Just not the way my mind works, though I love logic games.

Many fish list it as a favorite, though, so who knows?
Good luck!

erincecily
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by erincecily on Aug 25, 09 9:43 AM
one last question. is it really long? long enough so that by the i finish it, i would of forgotten how to do the first safe codes? and that by the i get to the ones closer to the end, i would of forgotten those ones too so that it will be a mind puzzling experiance every time i start over, or is it where once you beat it, it's game over and there's no use of playing since i would already know how to win?

Edited on 08/25/2009 at 9:47:48 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Aug 25, 09 9:43 AM
It's the only puzzle game I've ever played (and I've played lots and lots) that I found too difficult to be fun. Though it has the structure of a Large File Adventure the story is minimal and it really is all just about the puzzles. I think I cleared a whoppin' 2 with the help of a walk-thru before deleting. Since there is no demo I'd say be sure you want to take on a HUGE challenge before buying.

For me it's a definite no.

paradoxno1
Flounder
Flounder
2,497 Posts

[Post New]by paradoxno1 on Aug 25, 09 9:46 AM
Hi erincecily just sent you a pm with a link where you can download with an hour demo , if you like it buy it from BF

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Aug 25, 09 9:46 AM
Erin, check on Gamezebo and Gameboomers for reviews and opinions.
This is a love it or hate it game...you will want to be sure to have lots of input before buying.

These are neutral gaming sites with honest reviews and opinions.
Good luck!

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Aug 25, 09 9:47 AM
I'm a walkthrough addict. I used the walkthrough through most of Safecracker and it was still fun. I love the story with it and I love the scenery. I don't think it's a game you can complete quickly even with a walkthrough. It's been a long time since I've last played it, so, I can't give you a definate time frame.
But, I still thought it was enjoyable.

Go to: