bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Fill Up! comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 26, 09 1:05 AM
Our game editors didn’t get a chance to complete their review of Fill Up! before the game launched today. But please post your comments in this thread so other can hear what you thought of the game!

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

Re:Fill Up! comments and reviews

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Aug 26, 09 1:16 AM
This is basically Build a Lot but with a petrol station empire instead of a town. I don't know whether it's my laptop or the game but it seems a bit flaky - the screen flashes off and on and I turned the music/effects down a tad and they've gone totally - but like I said it could be me.

You have been left a legacy, but you only get it if you follow the instructions, you start with petrol station and a diesel station - vehicles come in (with little logos showing what they want) and you allocate them to the correct fuel. When you are running short a waning comes up you need to restock - which of course costs money. To build a new facility you have to clear a site, and build (say) a workshop. Now vehicles come in with either a petrol, diesel or mechanic logo above them. You are only allowed to build if you have a) enough money and b) enough bonus points which you gain during play. I got to the stage where I had petrol, diesel, LP, workshop and a diner. The game is timed.

Basically, it all seems very familiar to anyone who has played Build a lot - but, I ran out of time on about the third task, when you had to build an LP pump and a diner, got it right second time but worrying the time constraints are that stringent. Maybe (once again ) I was too busy playing to fully read the instructions on bonuses - I am not too sure if you get extra for chaining tasks.

I wont be buying, but that is because I know how ratty I get in Build a Lot when I can't get expert on every round!

dagai
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by dagai on Aug 26, 09 1:30 AM
sounds like fun...waiting now for d/l to finish. Thank you for the info

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 26, 09 1:30 AM
You did better than me nelliegemini

I did not even understand the bonuses- all I seemed to be doing was dragging vehicle after vehicle to a pump until my hand was sore. I built the diesel, gas and workshop, did not make it to the restaurant. It was trial and error trying to build and being told not enough bonuses- until I apparantly had enough to construct.

The game had easy, mendium and expert modes, you could also play timed or untimed. I chose easy timed.

The instructions for this game seem a bit vague or maybe it is just me.

Either way this game does not suit me- I do not like having to drag the vehicles over and gave up after 20 minutes.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Aug 26, 09 3:09 AM
Not at all interested. Have fun TM fishies!

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Aug 26, 09 3:22 AM
I too found the game too hard as I never figured out how to do anything other than fill up vehicles.

No idea of how to get bonuses and needed a Super Bonus to build the Service Station.

Not wasting my money and would advise others not to waste theirs.

[Post New]by BecJ22 on Aug 26, 09 5:39 AM
nelliegemini wrote:

Basically, it all seems very familiar to anyone who has played Build a lot - but, I ran out of time on about the third task, when you had to build an LP pump and a diner, got it right second time but worrying the time constraints are that stringent. Maybe (once again ) I was too busy playing to fully read the instructions on bonuses - I am not too sure if you get extra for chaining tasks.

How did you get through that round?? I'm still struggling and I only have 5 minutes left. I just can't seem to get enough money to build the diner. I kinda like the game, but don't want to buy it if it's too difficult!

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Aug 26, 09 6:31 AM
I don't know Bec!! I just tried again and made it. One thing I did do was really run down the supplies before topping up, before I had been keeping them topped up on a regular basis but I just left it until they went red and then got in more supplies. I didn't think I had done enough because I slipped into a negative cash amount but just got enough cash in time.

[Post New]by triemen on Aug 26, 09 6:35 AM
Anyone having trouble with no sound on this game?

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Aug 26, 09 7:09 AM
I had no sound, and here's a whole new thread on the soundlessness. Anyhoo, I just deleted. I got to a new level where I had to build a new diesel pump and a parking lot, but all the cars turning up were asking for a paint shop and a car wash - this didn't seem to be an option on the construction tab - so I've thrown my dummy out the pram and deleted.

[Post New]by KitchenTable on Aug 26, 09 8:05 AM
I couldn't agree more with the above reviews. Though the idea is interesting and the tasks seem very varied, I am having serious problems. The sound problem on my computer seems to be that I get the environmental sounds but not the music. The problem of one's hand getting tired hits me spot-on. My wrist was aching after only Level Two. Lastly, the bonuses are hardly explained at all, and the "super bonus" required to build the restaurant in Level Two or Three is never commented on. Frustrating! This could be a good game if it were better explained - and not such a pain in the wrist!

michelle_hdpc
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by michelle_hdpc on Aug 26, 09 9:22 AM
Probaly wont try not a big fan of time management.

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Aug 26, 09 11:08 AM
This is a hard game, but I think I'm going to buy it. I know my son will enjoy it. I was already downloading when I read the comments here...you have to have fun and laugh with a game like this. Like whenever I had someone in the parking lot wanting a paint job and there was no room for anything I actually had. I had no car wash or place to paint cars. I'd just put them in the parking lot or give em a new set of tires. If I was low on resources and needed money more, I'd just ignore the customers wanting that resource or give them some new tires....

I got up to the Arab that wanted some wild tasks fulfilled and quit. Only 1 minute remaining. I had fun with it, tried all kinds of things and got 4 medals/ribbons somehow. I don't have any idea how I did it. I went in thinking I'd hate the game, decided to just have some fun and laughed my rear off at the silly things I was trying to get through the levels. I have no idea what the tutorial is for, the game doesn't teach anything other than you need more resources. I think this game might be better played in untimed mode till you get the hang of it, or you can do like me and just be silly with it and have some fun. (Although I also agree with the earlier comment of how boring it gets dragging those cars. Just give them some new tires.)

Edit: Apparently the filter didn't like a word I typed so I changed it.

Edited on 08/26/2009 at 11:11:52 AM PST

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Aug 26, 09 11:17 AM
No sound for me either. Played for 31 minutes and nothing but clicking tankers and cars back and forth. Most BORING management game ever! And I LOVE bulda lot games. Have them all. WILL NOT be buying this game however.

[Post New]by carwesley on Aug 26, 09 11:42 AM
I love the game, but NO SOUND . Moderator, if you read these can you please fix the problem. I would actually buy it if it weren't for that. Its kind of distracting
Carrie

[Post New]by Tmash333 on Aug 26, 09 12:07 PM
Wow! I've never had a game make me want to rip my hair out so quickly! This game was molasses slow! Didn't have any other app going, either. After 15 min, I quit and deleted this game. My machine isn't 'tops', but I don't usually have any problems playing games. ?? I thought the tutorial was vague and insufficient, as well. I never got through the first level, so I don't know if I actually saw all the tutorial boxes.

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Aug 26, 09 12:10 PM
As a TM-lover l did not like this game for a start.
At the first level l did not even manage to get a superbonus, so did not finish the level.

[Post New]by wild_trose on Aug 26, 09 12:18 PM
I love time management games but this one is a HUGE let down!!! Very boring, not much instructions, Super bonuses which are needed are rather hard to achieve, Im usually rather good at these games but I only got thru one level of this one...I quit the demo after 30 minutes!! not even worth trying for a full 60!!

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Aug 26, 09 12:31 PM
OK. I played this for 45 minutes and I figured it all out, BUT and this is a big but. Just in level 1, you start getting request for paint jobs, car cleaning and even gas for the green station. HOWEVER and this is big however, you don't have any of these until you purchase them. You can't purchase them until you earn money and a certain number of bonus. You can't earn the bonuses if you can't completed the task.

As a TM game, this one has a lot of potential, but it missed the mark greatly. Was this game tested before it was released to address some of the obvious flaws. For those of us who are BAL fans and other TM games, this one will make you think that you're missing some brain cells, when in fact, the game is missing two key things: 1) good instructions, 2) reasonable and obtainable goals. I give it down out of 5. It would get five, but the attempt gets one

[Post New]by rhondacat2002 on Aug 26, 09 1:21 PM
another huge waste of time. Couldn't even get past level 2 after 40 mins and gave up. Just constantly dragging vehicles and couldn't even get them all to where they wanted to go! UGH! I'm a huge TM fan, but this one was awful.

Go to: