bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Welcome to Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger forum

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 27, 09 12:02 AM
Welcome to Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger forum! This is your place to ask questions, share tips, and connect with other Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger players.

If you have questions about how to use the forums, please click the FAQ link on the right.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

Re:Welcome to Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger forum

[Post New]by vicalana on Aug 27, 09 12:39 AM
You have to download direct x or something. At least I have to. Is that safe? (Still using my son's computer - mine still can't be fixed and the guys at the shop have no idea why not!)

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 27, 09 1:10 AM
vicalana wrote:You have to download direct x or something. At least I have to. Is that safe? (Still using my son's computer - mine still can't be fixed and the guys at the shop have no idea why not!)

Yes quite safe- used in many games and you may already have it but it wont hurt to reinstall it if you are not sure.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Aug 27, 09 3:37 AM
Thank you!

katierc
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by katierc on Aug 27, 09 12:10 PM
Downloading Directx9 if you don't already have it is quite fine, be sure to download from Microsoft though - I did a google search for Directx9 and took the Microsoft link. Windows Vista (and Windows 7 Release Candidate which I'm using) come with Directx10 but still some of the Directx9 bits are needed for Resorting To Danger. I tested this last weekend with the demo download from Her Interactive and played just fine on Windows 7 so should be no issue at all with Vista or XP. Installing Directx9 does not uninstall Directx10.

I'm absolutely thrilled though - I love Nancy Drew but find the later adventure games too tough, but the first Dossier game I played twice as I enjoyed it so much. But I'm even more thrilled now that BFG are offering this second game - in fact just bought it and am currently downloading the full version - for only $6.99 instead of the $19.99 to buy direct as a download from Her Interactive. Yet another reason - not that I need one - to stick with Big Fish. In fact my hubby is convinced - righty - that I'm a BFG addict. And proud of it. Can't wait for the weekend to play the game now, and it's a long weekend here in the UK due to a public holiday on Monday.

[Post New]by Tulipgirl77 on Aug 29, 09 1:36 AM
When I try to run the game I get an error - Cannot find import; DLL might be...

Do I need the Directx 9 also? I'm using Vista Home Premium with SP2.

Thanks!

bfglgp
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by bfglgp on Aug 29, 09 4:07 PM
I tried several times today to install this game and have not yet been able to get past the first few screens.

Symptom is a completely black screen with a brief (less than a second) flash of what should be displaying every couple of seconds, like a strobe. Sound works fine. Game is obviously running because I can click around and sometimes accidentally hit an OK or Continue button, and the game does that. But I can't actually see what's going on except for a brief flash every few seconds.

Setup: Windows XP Pro on a 6-mo old 17.4" laptop, with current Windows updates. Screen resolution 1400x900, 32 bit color, 60Hz. Mobile Intel 965 Express chip set display adapter, driver version 6.14.10.4864 which is 2 years old, but Windows can't find a more recent driver, so I'm assuming it should work.

After the first try at playing, I uninstalled it, updated ActiveX, DirectX, and Shockwave, and restarted Windows, then reinstalled & tried again. Same problem.

I uninstalled it again, checked for non-critical Windows updates (including Internet Explorer 8, which I had originally declined to install, since I don't use IE), installed a half-dozen crappy little things (altho the IE install took a good half-hour), restarted (of course -- it's Windows), then reinstalled the game and tried again. Same problem.

OK, then I managed to find the Options screen in the brief glimpses I got of the game and turned off the Voice part. There are 3 options on screen size for the game, Stretch, Widescreen, and Windowed. I tried all 3. There was one brief moment when I thought maybe running in Windowed mode might be the trick, but I think IE was still open and just froze the display for 10 seconds -- which made me think the game might actually be working correctly. However not the case. Still the flicker.

I've now spent all afternoon running Windows/utility updates, restarting. I've got another 45 minutes of trial time. Any suggestions on how to fix this, or even a suspicion of the actual issue?

[Post New]by lhbasden on Aug 30, 09 3:54 AM
I have played just past the large maze puzzle (the second maze puzzle in the game), and now I can't play. It throws me out each time I try to start where I left off. I have uninstalled and then redownloaded the game, but the problem persists. I did download and install the DirectX program, so that's not the problem.

[Post New]by carders2005 on Aug 31, 09 5:47 PM
vicalana wrote:You have to download direct x or something. At least I have to. Is that safe? (Still using my son's computer - mine still can't be fixed and the guys at the shop have no idea why not!)

I'm wondering why I had to take over two hours to download the demo (I have the most recent of everything--IE, DirectX, Java, Flash, etc) and am now going to try for a 2nd time to get this demo downloaded!!! Anyone else have problems on BigFish downloading this most recent ND game demo?

pisces8
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by pisces8 on Sep 1, 09 5:00 AM
Loved this game!! Highly recommend it!! Definitely on the top of my favorite list
Keep 'em coming Big Fish!! Love Nancy Drew games especially. They really are addicting!! Thank you again!!!

DKGuild
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by DKGuild on Sep 2, 09 9:27 AM
carders2005 wrote:

I'm wondering why I had to take over two hours to download the demo (I have the most recent of everything--IE, DirectX, Java, Flash, etc) and am now going to try for a 2nd time to get this demo downloaded!!! Anyone else have problems on BigFish downloading this most recent ND game demo?

Was wondering if you were able to find a solution? I seem to be having the same problem as you do. Have the direct x (from previous game) can't get the game to run.

hezekia
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by hezekia on Sep 2, 09 3:25 PM
I've never played a Nancy Drew game before. Should I play one of the earlier ones before I try Resorting to Danger?

[Post New]by damicoc on Sep 6, 09 8:53 AM
I downloaded my new game Nancy Drew Dossier ; Resorting to Danger right from the backup CD and this game will not open to play.I don't get any error messages either, when I hit on the icon PLAY NOW it just doesn't anything you just wait and wait till you get tired and change your mind and play another game. Please help me.

I also bought the Nancy Drew Dossier ; Resorting to Danger Strategy Guide and that does not help either.

PLEASE HELP ME

Edited on 09/06/2009 at 8:55:32 AM PST

Welcome to Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger forum

[Post New]by Nancywiemer on Sep 6, 09 11:37 AM
bfgFlounder wrote:Welcome to Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger forum! This is your place to ask questions, share tips, and connect with other Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger players.
i am in the game and im at the were i need the pass ward for the laptop and also in the pillar is a agme were you have to place the pieces on the numbers in the corect order they say the star gose on number 5 where do the rest go theres know way to find outplease help

MzShel
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by MzShel on Sep 6, 09 11:42 AM
I'm also having problems with this game. Not as bad as some listed here, but frustrating nonetheless.
I get into the game and suddenly the screen freezes. It's frozen in two different areas now, forcing me to shut down my computer completely just to get out of the game. When I reboot and restart the game, it takes me back to the area I was working on, but now the clues are all missing. Example, the most recent freeze was in the lab when you have to mix the chemicals. You have to get the knob in order to collect the one chemical. Before the freeze I had the knob in place. After the freeze the knob was missing and was not where it should be. None of the clue bubbles would allow me to click on them.
The only way to get out of the messed up scene was to completely start the game over under a new profile. I've deleted the game, reinstalled it, reinstalled DirectX, anything and everything I can think of and it still froze the second time. I now have two messed up profiles that are totally unplayable. Not looking forward to starting over just to have this happen again at some point.
Suggestions?

sithy53
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by sithy53 on Sep 12, 09 9:55 PM
Well I am having the same problems but I have not seen a solution to anyone's problem yet. What is the solution to this problem. It played fine when I was in the trial mode but as soon as I purchased it I have not been able to get it to load yet. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sithy53
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by sithy53 on Sep 12, 09 10:59 PM
sithy53 wrote:Well I am having the same problems but I have not seen a solution to anyone's problem yet. What is the solution to this problem. It played fine when I was in the trial mode but as soon as I purchased it I have not been able to get it to load yet. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sithy53
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by sithy53 on Sep 12, 09 11:00 PM
carders2005 wrote:

I cannot get it to work either. As soon as I hit play it takes me back to the desktop. IS ANYONE EVER GOING TO HELP US WITH THIS PROBLEM????? This is the third time I have posted and cannot get anyone to tell us anything.

Problems with Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger forum

[Post New]by alihan6232 on Sep 17, 09 3:02 AM
Hi all,

I, too had problems with NDD esorting to Danger flickering when I first downloaded it but I found a setting to change that stopped it. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium so I don't know if the following will help with XP (sorry!). The fix was disabling Windows Vista Aero. The link for directions is below:

http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/262/c/2805/page/2/r_id/109674

I hope this helps a few of you out there.

[Post New]by genycraze on Oct 4, 09 8:51 PM
hi
can somebody help me with that riddle :

why don 't you sit down and contemplate this one ...
and the letters are : demtaite

Go to: