bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Hide & Secret 3: Pharaoh's Quest comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 31, 09 1:05 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

Re:Hide & Secret 3: Pharaoh's Quest comments and reviews

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 31, 09 1:31 AM
No timer and you can build up hints- which seem plentiful by finding a special object.

I do like the "quest adventure" part of this game. Running into people that wont let you go further or will give you something if you help them out. There is a lot of running back and forward between screens to accomplish tasks.
The puzzles so far have been simple jigsaw type.

Now, the hidden object part of this game is just awful. A mish mash of totally unrelated items to the theme, such as disco balls and firetrucks just shoved anywhere in mid air on the screen. Totally pathetic when you think what they could have done with a bit more effort. The voice acting is **** hum.

However, the rest of the game is great fun having to comple the quests, and looks like you get to travel to quite a few parts of the worls. Checking the walkthrough seems to be a good length. The graphics are good and I did buy it.

and a half

[Post New]by chinsegt on Aug 31, 09 4:14 AM
govegril - Where is the walkthrough?

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 31, 09 4:17 AM
chinsegt

The walkthroughs are in the BF blog and a link provided on the download page.

Here is the link for this game for you
http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/hide-secret-3-pharaohs-quest-walkthrough/

[Post New]by crazycatjag on Aug 31, 09 4:19 AM
Can anyone find the scroll?? Tried the walkthrough but still I cannot find it. Help.

irishlou
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by irishlou on Aug 31, 09 4:36 AM
Have just downloaded the trial version and played for 30 minutes, this game gets a definite thumbs up from me. Will buy this one.
As to the hidden objects having no relation to the game, I find this to be true of most HOG, but it's still quite fun to try and find them all. The only thing I don't really like is all the going backwards and forwards to different scenes to use the various objects, half the time I get totally lost and forget how to get from one place to another.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 31, 09 4:44 AM
irishlou wrote:
As to the hidden objects having no relation to the game, I find this to be true of most HOG, but it's still quite fun to try and find them all. .

Whilst that is true, the really good ones do try to stay logical to the theme. Even those junkyard ones where they have totally unrelated objects at least try to cleverly hide them. This game just has them slapped hapharzardly anywhere on the screen which leaves me amazed how little effort was put in there

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Aug 31, 09 5:14 AM
Where are the passports? In the blog it says there are only 2 to start with? Have done the jigsaw puzzle and the sliding squares puzzle, put the propellor on the plane, but can`t find any passports anywhere. Have clicked the arrows in the inventory and all I have is the Rosetta Stone. Have tried to put this on the Egyptian statue(no luck).......................stuck and this is only the demo lol.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Aug 31, 09 5:22 AM
Won't be buying. Love the premise of the game, but agree with Govegril that the graphics are very sloppy. If I bought it I think I'd make a map!! I too got lost and forgot where things were (satnav has changed my life).

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Aug 31, 09 5:30 AM
OK, found the passports.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 31, 09 5:36 AM
bootsie21 wrote:Where are the passports? In the blog it says there are only 2 to start with? Have done the jigsaw puzzle and the sliding squares puzzle, put the propellor on the plane, but can`t find any passports anywhere. Have clicked the arrows in the inventory and all I have is the Rosetta Stone. Have tried to put this on the Egyptian statue(no luck).......................stuck and this is only the demo lol.

bootise- go to every screen and try all directions for an arrow- the passports from memory (so much running around cannot exactly recall) were in some hidden object screens. I have not looked at the walkthrough thouroughly but if that is not helping I can only suggest trying every direction at every screen and searching everything. When I got stuck always found somewhere I had not been yet by going back and forth- this games takes a bit of patience with all the back and froing.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Aug 31, 09 6:01 AM
Yes I have bought it, but not sure what I am doping it is a change from the straight games for a change I have managed to find two passports so far, have plenty in the inventory but no enough to finish most areas in Egypt so this will Ibe a long game it looks like a game that I will in and out of with frustration, it is even hard looking at the walkthrough as it goes all over the place. Sorry not the best reciew but yes a bit differant, Not an adventure but similar and plento of Hidden Objects and few jigsaw puzzles so far but they are too easy, but I am sure more puzzles will come my way in the days ahead.

Cheers

lineck

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Aug 31, 09 6:22 AM
First time I've played a game in this series, it has its pros and cons.

I like the 'find items in one scene and try to remember where you can use them' premise - a bit like adventure games which I also enjoy but have given up buying because they are too hard! The items you have to use are reasonably sensible as well (like the tool to remove the camel's thorn).

I really don't like his voice, whilst I can just about live with hers, and like many others, I find the hidden objects stages untidy, illogical and very badly drawn - I'm having to use a hint on most scenes.

I am also hoping there are puzzles other than jigsaw and 'move the columns/rows'

Anyway, I am buying because I don't have another hidden object on the go at the moment, woe betide BFG if they bring out a goody tomorrow!

(I'm editing this because it sounds really moany! Of course i wouldn't buy it if I wasn't enjoying it (but I do think it could be a bit better!)

Edited on 08/31/2009 at 8:22:16 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 31, 09 7:02 AM
Well apart from the "toing and froing" I am really enjoying this game as I jigsaws too. (I am glad to see that they are not running onto the screen to collect each object like they did in the first game of the series.)

I suggest that you make a map and add what you need to find for each location on it so that when you do find something you know immediately where to go back to to use it.

I have found all the passports now and still have not come across all of the scrolls (think there are 5 to be found looking at the area where they are supposed to be put.) As you solve each puzzle it gives you another item that is needed to solve a puzzle somewhere so you do not need to carry a lot of items in your inventory at one time (cuts down on the of "now what what I supposed to do with that" ).

All in all I think this game is well worth a credit.

C

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Aug 31, 09 7:28 AM
I am undecided about this game. I think I am jittery this morning and was not ready for a game that will take 'patience'. I was wondering about the hint system. Yes, I get the pyramids but I believe the hints are only used in the hidden object scenes.
Note to developers: Randomly clicking everywhere on everything without getting a penalty defeats the challenge of finding objects.
Will have to check the walkthrough to see if there are different puzzles other than the jigsaw. Most likely will buy. Need a HOG to play. It's not a bad game. It sure is different. I mean, we don't want simple HOGS so hey this will certainly provide a challenge.
Yep. I will most likely buy.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Aug 31, 09 8:07 AM
I played the hour demo. Was intrigued and glad it was not like 1 & 2. Some games are beginning to incorporate navigation, which is good. But yeah, sloppy objects. I find it more fun to find pieces of objects and then use the objects.
The timing of the demo couldn't have been better because I was at a dead end. Gave old man 2 (of what must total 5) scrolls, put 2 (of what must total 7) Rosetta stone pieces into gold box, fixed camels' hoof, fixed very top of pyramid, went to first 2 passport locations, I've used everything in my inventory except for one unlit torch. I re-tried all locations and I couldn't access any knew screens. And then the demo ended.

I'd like to buy it but I'm wary. 70MB isn't all that big these days.

cepe
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by cepe on Aug 31, 09 9:13 AM
cherbtoo wrote:Well apart from the "toing and froing" I am really enjoying this game as I jigsaws too. (I am glad to see that they are not running onto the screen to collect each object like they did in the first game of the series.)

I suggest that you make a map and add what you need to find for each location on it so that when you do find something you know immediately where to go back to to use it.

I have found all the passports now and still have not come across all of the scrolls (think there are 5 to be found looking at the area where they are supposed to be put.) As you solve each puzzle it gives you another item that is needed to solve a puzzle somewhere so you do not need to carry a lot of items in your inventory at one time (cuts down on the of "now what what I supposed to do with that" ).

All in all I think this game is well worth a credit.

C

wish I'd read this before I started the demo! Paper and pencil is a MUST! otherwise it is sooo confusing.

Like the art work and the start reminds me of old 1930's movies. The randomness of the "hidden objects" (which mostly aren't) doesn't worry me and those in the pond who have difficulty with dark corners and itsy-bitsy objects won't have a problem.

I also like jigsaw puzzles - the shapes remind me of the wooden puzzles I had a a child - actually this is turning into a trip down memory lane instead of a review - sorry!

It's different and the too'ing and fro'ing are different and enjoyable - but make notes/map.

Worth it but probably not if you're hanging on for something special (ie Drawn, which is expected early September according to the pond)

3.5 out of 5

Cepe

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Aug 31, 09 10:17 AM
I have had a problem with all three of these games. If you go in one direction too soon you can never get where you need to be. This time I earned the propeller and put it on the airplane. But I was supposed to carry it around awhile first so now I cannot get back to "pre-propeller" screens.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 31, 09 10:34 AM
lentenrose wrote:I have had a problem with all three of these games. If you go in one direction too soon you can never get where you need to be. This time I earned the propeller and put it on the airplane. But I was supposed to carry it around awhile first so now I cannot get back to "pre-propeller" screens.

Are you at the Passport screen? - you can click on the down arrow at the bottom of the screen to get back to the game part.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 31, 09 10:45 AM
Is it just me, or are those columns/rows puzzles difficult? I guess I need more practice!

As for the game itself, I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would--which is not good for my wallet, but good in all other ways.

Go to: