teow7
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker and Windows 10 Tech Issue

[Post New]by teow7 on Sep 20, 15 6:54 PM
Actually, neither of my Shiver games (the other is Shiver: Poltergeist) work any longer since I've gone to Windows 10.

A black screen comes up, and a couple of sounds, and then nothing.

I've followed the instructions on the "Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen" page and now the game doesn't even attempt to start. All of my updates are up-to-date.

There is one instruction on the tech support page that states I should opt to "disable visual themes," and "disable desktop composition." Neither of these options are available in my settings. The only options I have available are:
-Reduced color mode
-Run in 640x480 screen resolution
-Disable scaling on high DPI settings
And run this program as administrator, which I did check.

Has anyone with more computer savvy managed to fix this?

Re:Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker and Windows 10 Tech Issue

[Post New]by Enigmyst on Oct 20, 15 12:35 PM
I have the same issues but I don't see any answers. Have uninstalled and re-installed 3 times and also tried opening the game in different ways. Nothing happens. just a cursor, a blank screen and some initial music. Is there anyone who can help?

bfgOkeechobee
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,211 Posts

[Post New]by bfgOkeechobee on Oct 21, 15 9:19 AM
Hi there, teow7 and welcome to the pond, Enigmyst!

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with games in the Shiver series after upgrading to Windows 10. I've included a link below to our help article for troubleshooting issues with Windows 10.

Windows 10

In particular, I'd suggest trying the steps for adjusting your dots per inch (DPI) setting under 'What if my games crash, freeze, or won't play?'.

If you still have trouble after that, please submit a ticket with our Customer Support Team.

-bfgOkeechobee

Edited on 10/21/2015 at 9:20:20 AM PST

BadWhippet
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by BadWhippet on Nov 12, 15 6:43 PM
I've tried the troubleshooting problems as recommended (my DPI was already set at 100% anyway) but this game simply won't work in Windows 10 - even with various compatibility settings. As the original poster said, there is a black screen, a bit of sound effect and music with a custom white pointer, but absolutely nothing else.

It's a shame - this series looks great. I'll try a couple of other things like screen refresh rate, but it looks like this might be an uninstall title.

[Post New]by BadPookie on Nov 12, 15 9:50 PM
I had the same issue with Windows 10, however, the November 12th Windows 10 update has resolved the issue for both Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker and Shiver: Poltergeist.
The original version of Windows 10 was build 10240. The version released on 11/12 is build 10586.
To find out which version of windows you are running, click on the search box and type winver.
If you see Version 1511 (Build 10586.3) that is the latest version.

Go to: