tramserran
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

QotW 9/21 - Careers

[Post New]by tramserran on Sep 21, 15 3:17 PM
Question of the Week - 9/21/15:
What Careers and/or Jobs have you had?

Experts say that we reinvent ourselves every 5 years and expect the new generation (referred to as the Millenia's) to have an average of 5 careers (not jobs but careers!) by the time they retire.

If you would like to submit a question to be posted on a future week, please PM me with your discussion topic.

tramserran
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

Re:QotW 9/21 - Careers

[Post New]by tramserran on Sep 21, 15 3:34 PM
I have had many jobs (most fell in my lap through volunteer work) but have only had 2 careers.

My first career was in Engineering and I worked in the Aerospace industry. My second career was in Higher Education - teaching mathematics and science courses in high schools and the state college.

Other jobs I have had include:
1) working in the engine room of ships transporting goods between North America and the Far East.
2) working in the mental health field helping families who have a member with alcohol/addiction issues.
3) Manager for a large electronic distributor
4) Housemother - I raised 4 beautiful children!
5) Caregiver for people with dementia

Currently, I am at home taking care of my 95 year old father-in-law. I am not sure if I will go back to my second career (teaching) when he passes away or if I will start a 3rd career as a business owner.

fushiaquilt
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by fushiaquilt on Sep 21, 15 3:36 PM
I currently teach art in my home to children 6-11. I have a college degree in Elementary Education and substituted then taught art, science and Colorado history for a home school enrichment program via the public school system.
I stayed home with my children for 15 years before going back to work.
Before receiving my degree I was a ward clerk in a hospital and worked in the snack bar at Albertsons grocery store.

mommerj
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by mommerj on Sep 21, 15 5:36 PM
As a high school and college student I worked at many factory jobs (Green Giant; a potato processing plant making french fires; a hearing aid company; and a factory that made paint pads) to earn money to pay for college!

I have a degree in Biology and my first career was prepping for all the Biology labs and teaching Biology labs at a Community college (17 years).

I got my Master's degree in Education: Instructional Systems and Technology. My second and current career is as an instructional designer (designing and developing training) for a Software company.

I have also been a mom for 30 years, and a grandma for 5 years.

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Sep 21, 15 5:50 PM
I went to college and got degrees in biology and psychology. I was on my way to med school, and planned to be a psychiatrist, but finances didn't allow...I volunteered two years for AmeriCorps, and at least knocked a dent out of my student loans....

Due to George Bush, political issues kept knocking me out of my jobs.....

Soooooo, I became an electrician! My education and aptitude with dealing with people enabled me to become a foreman almost immediately after I topped out of my apprenticeship (I am a union electrician, went thru a 5 year apprenticeship program). What I lack in brawn I made up for in brains.....I was on top of the world....

Until, that is, my recent accident...My current full time job is physical therapy. I have therapy and "homework" therapy, which takes up 4-6 hrs of my day, six days a week. I jump in and out of RoM during my breaks Once I am strong enough to get back in the work force, my ambition is to teach...I will not be strong enough to get back in the field. I already have an offer waiting to teach electrical code, theory and safety to our next generation of journeyman wiremen!

(I am female and women comprise 1% of the electrical workforce)

lanimur
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by lanimur on Sep 22, 15 12:06 AM
These make my working life look pretty ordinary! Started out teaching High School Home Economics but this was short-lived as I married quite young. 3 children saw me being a stay-at-home mum for a number of years followed by some retail work during school hours. Didn't want to return to teaching so after my 3rd child started school I returned to university studying for a Business Degree majoring in Accounting but wasn't able to finish this due to a failing marriage which ended in divorce. I joined the Australian Public Service where I worked for over 20 years doing all sorts of things. Initially I worked with young people encouraging them to return to (or stay in) education & referring homeless youth to various services. I've also administered labour market programmes for the unemployed. For about 10 years I assisted families through the maze of government services & payments before spending my last few working years processing claims for family-related payments. Most families in Australia receive allowances to assist with the costs of raising children. I retired from Public Service about 2 years ago intending to take 6 months off then look for something less stressful to work at. I decided I liked being retired, haven't missed working at all so haven't gone looking for any!!!

tdskm
Clownfish
Clownfish
517 Posts

[Post New]by tdskm on Sep 22, 15 3:41 AM
My life has been pretty dull compared to some of you. Graduated with a BS in Social Work and 2 minors in Psychology and Sociology. worked for awhile for the state and then got married and had 3 beautiful children who are my pride and joy. I worked part time for one of the major grocery stores when they were little and subbed at their school when teachers were out. my career was being there for my family for many years. As they got older I worked full time and am still at the same company 40 years later. It worked for me and am now a manager. and no one can take away my education. In fact just started back to school is semester taking a couple of classes in history and english.

gardenrmes
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by gardenrmes on Sep 24, 15 7:39 PM
My life is even duller than the rest of you all! I didn't even get a degree. The school that recruited me promised me an associates in Accounting, but all I got was a certificate. I worked as a Bookkeeper, in an Accounting firm, and at a bank. Most of my career has been spent in Customer Service, varying companies and positions.

[Post New]by JuneFlowers on Sep 25, 15 9:12 AM
I'm just as dull gardenrmes. I have no degrees but a few certificates from trade schools. My only two careers have been -- a Legal Secretary and Paralegal. I am back to working as a Legal Secretary and am happy with that.

Rumbitothecore
Shark
Shark
13,560 Posts

[Post New]by Rumbitothecore on Sep 25, 15 12:04 PM
No degree for me either. I've done factory work... making vacuum-formed plastic garden ponds; electronic parts to go in mixing desks; repackaging Kelloggs cereals - the worst job I've ever had
I trained as a registered nurse and worked mainly in a medium secure forensic psychiatry hospital. My last job was teaching computer skills to the older generation until the funding ran out.

I've had 2 periods of not working (by choice), 1st time I sold up to live in a 12 foot caravan in the middle of nowhere in France, reading & having Champagne Tuesdays - best thing I ever did ... the UK government decided to raise the retirement age, so I decided to take off what they had taken from me And this time, I'm a carer for my parents & a housewife for my husband

[Post New]by fairhavenfish01 on Sep 25, 15 12:55 PM
We've all certainly had a wide variety of experience! My father was in the US Air Force, and we literally lived in countries around the world while I was growing up. I earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from a college in upstate New York, and then worked for a large insurance company in New York City. I actually worked all over the US, because I was part of team that went to various auto manufacturing plants and set up short-term disability insurance offices in them. Later, for the same company (and then a merger offshoot), I worked in their group administration office, where I serviced the health policies of many large customers. I was officially a project manager, changing some of the company's policies, and wrote up those policies. Later I worked as an office manager for 2 different places, a property manager for 2 different apartment complexes, and finished up as a customer service rep answering phones for an alarm company. I am now retired, but would like to work more, just not for others. I am currently also caring long-distance for my parents, and trying to take care of my husband (just normal stuff). Really rather boring - I wish I had been drinking champagne with Rumbi!

gamegirl8
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by gamegirl8 on Sep 25, 15 5:10 PM
I guess I've had 2-5 careers so far, depending on how you count.
First, I worked my way up from Concessions to Management in a Movie Theatre while in High School & University.
Second, just after University I worked in Quality Assurance for a pharma company.
Third, I transitioned into Training for the same company.
Fourth, I transitioned to IT & supported SOX and other compliance initiatives, but with the same company.
Fifth, I just more recently transitioned to leading IT Policy Governance for the same company. I plan to become a manager-level in this position & then move on to something else, maybe in our R&D area which really interests me.

So, depending on if you consider all of my different jobs at my current company as one career or many, you can count 2-5. (Fourth & Fifth are probably within the same-ish career path, but the others were considerably different positions / areas of responsibility.)

rheashard2
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by rheashard2 on Sep 25, 15 6:42 PM
I wanted to become a veterinarian. Finances and RL interfered with that choice. I have had a variety of jobs. I boned the chicken (yes the canned stuff you buy), made and inspected eye glasses, assistant trainer for race horses, telephone sales, incoming calls for those as seen on TV infomercials, sold cosmetics, manager for restaurant and fast food companies, life guard, school bus driver to name a few, Somehow I got under the influence of a nursing instructor. I was a unit secretary at the hospital she had a group of students. She thought I would be a good RN. Well she showed up a month before classes with a scholarship that paid for everything. I didn't really want to be a RN. I decided to give the it a try because of the scholarship. I graduated. My siblings who got degrees had similar varied job trails in route to their degrees.

thurber
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
482 Posts

[Post New]by thurber on Sep 27, 15 9:55 AM
What interesting stories! Rumbi, I love the idea of champagne Tuesdays! Fairhaven, I'm an Air Force brat too and lived all over - I loved the experience of meeting new people and learning about different cultures. Rheashard, training race horses? Neato! Faery, I started out pre-med too, but at that time, women were discouraged from pursuing an MD since we were eventually going to just stay home and have babies and be Betty Crocker and all that education would go to waste. Lots of discrimination.

It's also fascinating that for many of us, the path to a career had many twists and turns and stops. I think of our parent's generation as one where mostly men worked for one company for years while most women stayed at home. Things have changed!

My own career path had twists and turns too. From high school summers teaching swimming, synchronzed swimming, and lifeguarding to working in a carpet store (ugh). My college days were interrupted by RL and I spent 10 years working for cardiovascular and thoracic surgeons. Loved it! Then after relocating to Oregon I sold real estate (meh) and also bred Yellow Labrador Retrievers. Best job ever!

Then back to school which resulted in being totally broke but with a doctorate in clinical psychology. The remainder of my jobs have been in the mental health field and I'm currently an independent contractor working for a Native American agency. For me, a nice ending to working life, being able to serve people of my culture. I think about retiring every day, but it's difficult to walk away from doing something you love even when you're an old crone!

msmithnc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
439 Posts

[Post New]by msmithnc on Sep 27, 15 12:10 PM
Oh, my, what interesting stories! And, yes, thurber, as you said, my dad worked for the same company his whole life and my mother stayed at home. However, my husband claims that a resume should read more like a novel than a short story.......
1) In college I worked as a research assistant for a psychology professor (my first job!)
2) Not a job exactly; after college I joined my husband-to-be who was serving in the Peace Corps in Nepal. We were married there and spent two more years there.
3)Social worker. First in adoptions, which was very satisfying, but when I was transferred to "crisis intervention" (investigating child abuse complaints), I didn't last much longer.
4)Took up ballet at age 28 and worked in a dancewear shop before being asked to teach ballet and tap at the studio where I was studying. I did that for about 10 years. Loved it!
5)My longest-lasting job (17 years) was at a craft supply store which sells everything from looms and spinning wheels to pottery and woodworking tools to dyes and fibers and yarns. I got to teach knitting, weaving, and basketmaking among other things and was incredibly inspired by the talented craftspeople (customers and students) I came in contact with.
6)In recent years I have been happily working at the bicycle shop where my husband has worked for many years. We don't know how we spent so many years NOT working together!

I MAY retire someday...

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Sep 27, 15 3:05 PM
Food for thought: What's the correlation with so many having backgrounds in psychology and/or human relations and all ending up in the same pond?.....

meriff
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by meriff on Sep 28, 15 6:24 AM
So many of you have so great specialty´s.but i have only one in my whole life.And it´s simply a baker.So no career at all.But i love my job and i´m happy with it.,

thurber
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
482 Posts

[Post New]by thurber on Sep 28, 15 10:13 AM
But see, Meriff, you have a talent I'd love to have! I'm was good cook but most of my baking efforts went to feed the chickens rather than the people.

I agree with your husband, msmith. I'd bet resumes from older folks especially, would be much more fun and interesting as a novel! Lots of plot twists, turns, and surprises.

If I had to give advice to younger people, I'd echo Joseph Campbell: "Follow your bliss." Be creative, be adventurous, and enjoy the ride!

[Post New]by fairhavenfish01 on Sep 28, 15 10:28 AM
I agree with Thurber. I did not follow bliss, too many financial restrictions, and really wish I had. I would have been a librarian and in a community singing group.

@ Meriff, think of all of the people you've made happy! I'll bet you are quite creative in your baking, too. Last year I saw a PBS show about a British Baking Contest and just marveled at the talent!

@Star, I think we are all outgoing people, if a little shy, and know how to enjoy other people's differences in a very positive way. Great observation!

Fairhavenfish01

myfreckles
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by myfreckles on Sep 28, 15 8:37 PM
I didn't go to college, scared myself right out of it. I've been in the retail business in some form or fashion most of my life. I tried factory work, putting prints into frames but that didn't work. I was to slow because it never suited me to send something that wasn't right ---right? Anyway, I also found out I wasn't Management material.... I'd rather be a worker bee than a queen. I like the idea that I can help people with whatever they're buying and not have to worry what else I should be doing. I also like to help new people that are just starting out where I am working. That came easy and I really enjoyed when they succeeded. And now I guess I've taken that to a new level, I work at my school as a para-professional. Right now I spend my day with a young man that is disabled. We walk around campus and go to classes. I've been working on his sense of humor (he has none unless he's the one being funny) for two years now. I've made some progress I like my job and for the time being I'll stay put and see what happens. He graduates in 4 years (3 if you don't count this one. At that time I'll have to see what I'll be doing and then decide.

Go to: