ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

I Wonder..

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Sep 23, 15 9:25 PM
Did you know that as part of the final January update, BZ implemented a change to how the quests were done? Once done, they automatically completed and check mark was given.

In the past, we the players had to claim our own reward, or the quest would stay on our quest bar

Their claim:

some players we're having difficulties in finding what to do next after completing a quest (and thought their game had a bug) since they missed the quest box and didn't claim the rewards.

My take was always that this was done specifically for the events..to stop the gold grab from events like V-Day/Spring.

But, we had the next button, so we could work around it.

Now think about this..

--Since the automatic complete has been implemented, people have been having issues with quests like Margret..

--And did you notice the "next" button doesn't work on the P-Day quests.

My theory...

When they programmed for our new events, P-Day & Halloween they programmed it so that the next button was disabled (so we couldn't have multiple quests opened, to reduce the gold grab) AND the automatic check would make it so the number of collectibles you could get were reduced.

BUT....

This new approach impacted all the previous quests negatively, the lost gloves and other items..

SO

It's not that couldn't replicate the bug.. it's that everything that was newly built was built around the new programming system.

Which is why most of the advice is to either not do the quest and/or open Margret's early.

That's my theory..

(And the next button still being operable in V-Day & Spring).. since they knew way before January that there would be no more updates, and these events were already built for the most part.. they just left them in)

OddlyEnuh
Stingray
Stingray
4,982 Posts

Re: I Wonder..

[Post New]by OddlyEnuh on Sep 24, 15 2:03 AM
Huh. Now that is interesting. Missing quests my foot. Trying to stop the work arounds more like it. Does fit in to the way the missing items would come up completed.

Had all the Special quests worked like Christmas and now this one I would have not bothered with any of them. Why on Earth do they want to limit gold when food, stars and coin are over flowing is beyond me. Everything in this game can be done without real money if one is happy with limping along and that was even in the beginning before slot machines and 5000 coin rewards and country mini-games,

They hobbled the game. We still figured out ways around it.

mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

[Post New]by mpendo on Sep 24, 15 3:45 AM
Basically, I think they grossly underestimated our intelligence and our ability to get what we needed in game without going to the BANK. Game players have created an underground economy in game.

Did we cut our own throats so to speak? Probably.

On a different note - I need an Officer for my DAQ (laughing at myself). Any price, short time frame.

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

[Post New]by Bluex on Sep 24, 15 6:06 AM
Pendo, I had one I put up for an hour let me know if you need more time. I put it up at a high price for sharks..Afterwards put something up and I'll return the dough. them are as rare as hens teeth nowadays..

Anyway Chestnut that is a good observation.. As why else mess with the whole thing?

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Sep 24, 15 6:15 AM
I'm not sure what's trying to be said. We could never have multiple special event quests open at the same time.

We've always had to complete the first special event quest, and if there was another one schedule for the same day, it wouldn't arrive until we accepted the reward for the first one.

The only (but it's a big only) thing different with the quests this year is that we've received 7-8-9 of them on each of the first 4 days, and if you hadn't completed the customizations before hand, you couldn't even complete the first quest without using gold.

Worse, if you started the customization, the quest sits there until the customization is complete and you don't receive the next day's quest.

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Sep 24, 15 5:25 PM
In past events, when we controlled the complete button on the quests, we could gather as much gold as we wanted.

I have played 2 each of V-Day and Spring. The first go around, we could collect and collect each of the collectibles (the rare ones) before closing out the quest.

This year, they reprogrammed so the quests would automatically close. My contention is that they did this so that you would be limited on completing collections.

By doing so, they messed up the programming for the main story line.. thus the problem with gloves for Margret etc..

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Sep 24, 15 5:37 PM
ChestnutHeights wrote:In past events, when we controlled the complete button on the quests, we could gather as much gold as we wanted.

I have played 2 each of V-Day and Spring. The first go around, we could collect and collect each of the collectibles (the rare ones) before closing out the quest.

This year, they reprogrammed so the quests would automatically close. My contention is that they did this so that you would be limited on completing collections.

By doing so, they messed up the programming for the main story line.. thus the problem with gloves for Margret etc..

There have been no quests to search for collectibles that disappear after the quest is completed. so I haven't needed to use the next button. I can test it when the next quest arrives.

I found a post in the BZ forum regarding Margaret's gloves going missing and it predated this update. So that was already messed up.

The quests to find Margaret's gloves was introduced in the update that included Valentine Day 2013. None of us had any problems with the quest because we already had Atlanta open.

Anybody starting the game after that update could run into a potential problem depending on how they played the game, which quest lines they followed, whether they spent a lot of time leveling up by playing mini games, etc.

Totally unrated to this latest update and its problems.

I don't know when the developers tried to fix the ghost items problem. I'm guessing it was attempting to get rid of the ghost items that resulted in the items we wanted to keep (rather than be compelled to keep the game open until we could use them) doing a disappearing act.

Go to: