Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Redemption Cemetery: Clock of Fate Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 24, 15 12:34 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 09/24/2015 at 5:36:27 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Redemption Cemetery: Clock of Fate Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Sep 24, 15 5:36 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Redemption Cemetery: Clock of Fate Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Redemption Cemetery: Clock of Fate Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Redemption Cemetery: Clock of Fate Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 24, 15 12:14 PM
Hello friends! Well, here we have #7 in this series...yes, I have the other six. If you have played any of the others, you will see that this newest game is no different in any way. Graphics aren't bad, but the eyes are a bit creepy, animation is good. Color is mostly very bland with a few bright colors thrown in, e.g. clothing. Maybe it's because you are traveling back in time, so things might be a little different than in the "real" world. Just seemed a bit tiring on the eyes. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo and the game fit my large screen quite well. You can customize your game play, but the scale for the hint and skip was odd. Lower the time on ones and the time on the other automatically increases. Voice overs were nice, but very few. Sound FX were well done, but again, very few. Music was okay and did change tempo depending on what was happening at the time. Because you travel in time, you do see very bright flashing lights, in case you have a problem with bright lights.

HOPs are straight forward and simple and fairly clean. Items are not difficult to find at all. Again, the color was a little too muted. Puzzles are extremely simple and take no brain power or time at all to complete. Hint system works well, but does not transport. Fortunately you don't back track that much. You do have a jump map that does save running time. The map is also very plain and generic. I did note that there are multiple objectives open on the map at the same time, so you aren't quite sure where you need to go next first.

Collectibles...all I found are skulls so you can build your own cemetery. Why? The skulls are very easy to spot and there seem to be 3 in each scene. This was somewhat boring for me. No challenge and not really fun either. Definitely could have used something extra.

We haven't seen an game in an asylum for quite some time, and I think it might be time to retire this one. I was disappointed in this game. Much too simple, nothing exciting or challenging and boring for me. I did like the others in this series, but this one is badly in need of an upgrade and most definitely is not CE worthy. Okay, who wouldn't want to travel back in time to re-write a horrific event in their life? This could have been a very nice game without much extra. It needs color, it needs collectibles, it needs a little challenge. I will recommend this game to beginners, but not for seasoned gamers. I beta tested this one a while back and wasn't kicked out about it then, but I often like simple, no brainer games for a change of pace. However, this one just didn't make me want to keep playing past the demo. No buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

caliehs
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by caliehs on Sep 24, 15 2:31 PM

Edited on 02/11/2016 at 3:14:51 PM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 24, 15 3:23 PM
I am a huge fan of this Series. From my experience with games...it's very rare that sequels...are as good as the original. But, I find this Series to hold up pretty well. Is it as good as the first...of course not. When we first see a game we love...we are so thrilled. And then we're much more judgmental after that.

But, the quality of this Series has held up IMO. Yes...we've seen the story lines so many times and the play of this series is the same...but it's a good game. IMO

I highly recommend trying it for sure. It's a buy for me...on sale or with a game coupon. But, I'm still a fan of this series and I think this is a good addition to add to my library of games.

With the quality of games we have been getting of late...not being so great...I would rather get sequels to great series...than buy some of the lesser quality games.

Be sure to try it...we all have different taste...but I really like this game and give it my second best rating. My review is only based on the demo and not the complete game play. Maybe I'll change my mind after finishing it. But the graphics and animations are great. Enjoy!

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"

“These are my acronyms & rating system…for Hogs, I Hogs, frogs & Adventure games:

“DIVINE FINE SWINE”
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game.
It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot.

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 24, 15 3:42 PM
I wouldn't know if there's a 'fatal glitch' in the bonus chapter as I've only played the demo but I rarely have any technical issues with games. Of course now I've said that, it will be the kiss of death for this game But I fully intend to find out if the glitch happens to me, as for the first time in ages I will be buying an ERS game!

I really enjoyed this demo. The whole premise of being able to change the past is fascinating but many writers insist that to do so would, in some way, alter the present. Here we get the chance to find out, to 'bargain with Death'. I chose to do so and of course the demo ended there. Most annoying!!

Nice graphics as always from this developer. The HOS were varied but not difficult and the puzzles didn't seem overly challenging but most were quite fun to complete. I had no issues with the hint/skip times in the custom mode; I set both to 30 seconds, which is what I usually do in most games anyway. The voices were nicely done. If there was a map I didn't notice it and I didn't look in the SG, as it's not really needed for the demo. There are collectibles in the form of crystal skulls; they are used to purchase items to create your own cemetery. How charming

But it's a definite buy for me. I must find out how my 'bargain with Death' ends. And hopefully it's not with me ending up in my own cemetery

No technical issues with the demo or the d/load and the game filled my w/screen monitor. Desktop running Win7 Pro 64-bit.

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by RasmusB on Sep 25, 15 2:49 AM
Update: I did buy it anyway, and have NOT regretted it. The short demo didn't do this game justice. Really nice game up to the usual high ERS standard. Just edited this review to reflect that, since the old review was wrongly bad.

Edited on 09/30/2015 at 7:28:53 AM PST

sarah451
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by sarah451 on Sep 25, 15 9:49 AM
I'm a fan of the series. Based on the demo, I'm not likely to buy this one, even on sale.

First off, I like fast hints and skips. My game play; my choices. In Custom setup I have to divide 60 second between the hint recharge and skip wait period. Can't set them both low. I very much dislike that. Probably the biggest reason that I'm unlikely to buy the game.

Second, I don't like having to play sections over again -- even with changes -- because of the clock. I get it. That's the theme of the game. Don't care, I still don't like it. Not my idea of fun.

Third, there's a lot of "cinematics" witch I also don't like. They develop the story, but take away from game play.

Last, I really, really, really hate the achievements that pop out and take up the whole screen. What a waste of my time, and how boring. I'm not a 5-year-old who needs clapping and shouting every time I manage to tie my own shoes. I never even look at the "achievements" in any game unless they are tied to more game play.

Normally, I would buy an ERS game with very little demo play. Not this one. This doesn't even feel like an ERS to me. Did they buy something from another outfit? A startup place that doesn't know what they are doing yet? Perhaps they got in a new head of production? Get the old head back.

[Post New]by mizbeeky on Sep 25, 15 10:28 AM
I have downloaded the game two times and cannot get it to open. Do not know if others had this problem. Extremely disappointed - I almost purchased it without even checking but very glad I tried it first.

1357wc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
453 Posts

[Post New]by 1357wc on Sep 25, 15 9:02 PM
mizbeeky wrote:I have downloaded the game two times and cannot get it to open. Do not know if others had this problem. Extremely disappointed - I almost purchased it without even checking but very glad I tried it first.

Please post in technical issue section and remember to post your operating system.

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Sep 26, 15 9:08 AM
I always buy EARS games usually second to none IMO, have all in this series, but was disappointed with this one.
Very easy
I had no problems with this game.

Edited on 09/26/2015 at 9:08:57 AM PST

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Sep 26, 15 11:20 AM
Oh dear!!!
Redemption Cemetery was one of my first games I downloaded 4 years ago when I first started playing BF games,and I always found them fun and challenging, but this one is really poor IMHO
The gameplay feels very slow, and drags along, the plot didn't capture my imagination, and as for Amy (was she called Amy? Whatever!!) I didn't really care what happened to her....sorry!!!
Skulls to create your very own cemetery WOO HOO (not)

A no buy for me, sorry devs,must try harder!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 26, 15 7:08 PM
sarah451 wrote:First off, I like fast hints and skips. My game play; my choices. In Custom setup I have to divide 60 second between the hint recharge and skip wait period. Can't set them both low. I very much dislike that. Probably the biggest reason that I'm unlikely to buy the game.

I too hate the fact that ERS uses only one slider for both the Hint and Skip in their "Redemption Cemetery" games. WHY ?? Their other games have separate sliders, so who at ERS had the bright idea to economise and use only one slider in this series?

--- --- ---

ETA: I found out that if there is only the one slider in Custom mode, it's best to use Casual mode, which gives you a quick refill for both the Hint and Skip.

Edited on 09/27/2015 at 6:20:23 PM PST

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Oct 1, 15 4:12 PM
Based on completed game and bonus chapter

Ohhh baby, I love the guys at ERS! I absolutely loved this game. I had so much fun with it and saw a lot of new things in here that we don't usually see in these games, Let's break it down.

Tech Issues: I had none either in main game or bonus. Ran clean & smooth for me.

Content Clarification: Possible spoilers

1. Bargain with Death: Yes, Death. Not Satan. Just making sure that's clear.
2. Crazed Asylum Inmates: NO. There is an asylum next door. One soul was in there out of grief and guilt. No axe wielding, violent mentally ill people to be found. This was a sorrowful aspect only.
3. Replay Mode: Only in the first soul story and is not really a replay as the situation changes and there are new things to do in the replay. It is not the same puzzles, HOPs, etc. Actually got my adrenaline up a little even though I knew it wasn't timed, I was still letting myself go with the illusion that you are working against the clock.

Challenge Level: In my opinion - fantastic!!!!!

Easy/Hard modes are back in a couple puzzles and you'll see ERS does what it usually does if you have played their full games in the last year or so. They start easy and then ramp it up for gamers who buy and play past the demo. There were some real great ones and you can see the T&H threads just for an example that was a difficult one for many.

Some of the HOPs were incredibly creative! A literary reference pairs HOP? Instead of wrenches and combs, some of them had you looking for abstract terms. Some HOPs were easy and some were quite clever.

Collectibles were also challenging and had a nice finishing aspect on them as you get a little story on each of the characters you finish the tombs for. I liked it.

I can't recommend this one enough, Loved it! My only wish is that ERS could somehow hook people at bit better in the beginning so more would give their games a chance. I am so rarely ever disappointed by ERS when I'm finished with their games.

1357wc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
453 Posts

[Post New]by 1357wc on Oct 3, 15 10:41 PM
Loved this game. I managed to play the whole game plus bonus without any tech problems on Windows XP. Found several challenging puzzles and loved what you get to do with the collectibles. Don't want to put any spoilers here. What I didn't like was the Bonus MG with all of the pieces of letters. It was too frustrating in the game play itself, so wasn't about to do more of them.

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Oct 4, 15 2:08 AM
I think that Bartsister has said it all.....very well I might add and more!

I haven't completed the game....just downloaded it today.....BUT it is definitely a winner!

The suspense in the first scene....racing against the clock....to try and save the first victim had me totally hooked.

This is definitely a Developer that hasn't forgotten what good gaming is all about!

And for those of you wondering about Tech Issues I play on a Laptop with Windows 7......no problem.

WAY TO GO ERS......!!!!!

TeeCee

My review which I couldn't submit to the BF site, and I wonder why

[Post New]by spythere on Oct 29, 15 4:01 AM
Again we set out to save souls from an etheral limbo between crime and punishment. As a special tool we get a clock to turn back time and undo bad things which happened in the past. There are three chapters and a bonus story.

The first story is about hapless Rupert Lee who - in order to save other people - lost his daughter in a train accident. First I was greatly bewildered: dilapidated buildings from World War 2, but diary entries from 1922 ... what the..? I played again, this time paying close attention to find out what's going on.
You travel through the subway station (and back in time) into an underground construction site where a grave accident had happened. Six workers died, one is still missing, as the newspaper dated 10.9.1948 wrote. In the next scene a loudspeaker voice says: „Today is the 20th October of 1946“ (still a bit timetravel?), then you stand before a bombed train station. You clearly arrived in the aftermath of WW 2.

But wait ... the accident of Rupert's daughter Ivy happened at 18th October 1922! So we have a story from 1922 which plays in 1946. And to make the bedlam complete: Rupert and Ivy wear clothes from the Sixties. Hunh? Be it sloppiness or intention: it's just not good. The player shouldn't be befuddled to this extent; the abundant anachronisms are already distracting enough.
Oh well, maybe that's just I, tending to be fussy. I also liked this part, except the execution of Ivy. It is an interesting, enthralling plot, with a happy end as we like it. The best story; afterwards, the game alas goes more or less downhill.

The second tale of the Angelt-Ketensky family and August plays in the 18th century. August wormed his way into prince Ludwig's confidence and is now his counselor. However he hatches a sinister plan: secretly marry Ludwig's daughter Sofia, then kill her and pin the murder on her brother ... So far the story which wouldn't be that bad.

But August is an elderly, grey boor with a bald patch and a potato nose. Why would a prince trust this ugly bumpkin who lacks charm as well as manners? How could disgusting August have the slightest chance with beautiful Sofia who is 40 years his junior? In other words: the portrayal of August made the whole story implausible in its core. August should at least be appealing. To narrate this story properly, he should be a handsome but phony prince charming, a scheming trickster.

Continuing my "forbidden" review

[Post New]by spythere on Oct 29, 15 4:05 AM
The third story (19th century, in a theatre) is a jealousy contest between two actresses, ends in murder and mayhem, and I asked myself again a lot of "whys"? Why an Egyptian sarcophagus? Why the snow blizzard? Why Greek letters? Just to make us chase after snow shoes and vary the puzzles of course, I know. By the way: this puzzle where you have to spell the word theatre in Greek letters made me smile. The correct solution is „thxatro“ instead of "theatro". Why not spend one minute to look up the Greek alphabet, dear devs?

Albeit those unintentional jokes were often the only things to smile about in this gloomy game. Humor is a bit scarce, that is, if you don't count the achievements.

VISUALS, SOUND
Also the graphics are on the dark and muted side, but gorgeous. I was thrilled to see that equisetum, nettle and milfoil were truthfully depicted (nard looked more like marigold).
ERS has a knack for scenery, architecture, interior, details. Not so much for humans, angels and the like. They go from stiff and cartoonish to laughable and unlikely. Death for example. DEATH! It's an interesting idea to let him speak through a blind child-angel, but why must he suffer under a pinhead? This is a serious congenital defect, called microcephaly. Terry Pratchett would turn in his grave if he'd learn that DEATH is mentally retarded

VO are, with few exceptions, mostly horrible. Death-girl speaks like a promoter for nail polish. And Ivy, the brat on the bridge ... sigh. Why is it such a big thing to let a real child speak the part of a child? Nowadays in times of www the child will not even have to travel for the recording.
The music is first off appealing, but alas a constant repetition. Too few (just four) and too short tracks ... which I muted.

HOs are fun to play and well varied: silhouettes, pairs, word conundrums. NO boring lists. Some HOs are actually stories; you must find items which fit high-lighted words. I found the assignment sometimes a bit far fetched, but it might be a mere language thing. For example is a „lantern“ a torch, „window glass“ are glasses, a „broom“ is a paint brush.

EXTRAS
From time to time you get pelted with a cobblestone ... which splits and gives birth to a demonic gargoyle: your achievement. There are 20 gargoyles to earn. But note: This is the game of the cryptic achievements. I strongly recommend to look up every single achievement BEFORE you get it. Afterwards, you'll find merely strange inscriptions which you hardly can assign. Can you guess what „The price for creation is never too high“ was for? Or „Sacrifice is never easy“? My favorite: „Logic is a lost art.“ It is somehow an epigram for the whole game ^__^

Collectibles are silver, blue, green and red skulls. They lie around rather striking - but watch out! If you miss out even one single skull, you will not be able to restore all graves and lose the one or other achievement. There is no going back to pick up skulls.

TECHNICAL ISSUES
I anyway couldn't get every achievement, since I had bugs :/
For example was the T and H puzzle not playable in hard mode, the pieces just would not attach to each other. In easy mode they did.
One skull was not there where it should have been. That is, it was there once, but lacked when I played for the second time with a new profile. I had to forgo several of the gargoyles.

BONUS
The bonus chapter is fairly long; it took me around two hours in hard mode without rushing. It started promising: You arrive back in 1946, at the ruined subway station where the six workers died. There you hit upon the son of the missing worker. He claims to have seen his father roam the tunnels and smash up everything in a rage, as if something evil has befallen him. When you attempt to pursue this possessed father, you get ... a rather funny surprise *laugh*

Unfortunately that was already everything worth getting from the bonus. The rest of the chapter you hang around in the „lost valley“, a whimsical place in an indeterminable Asia. Trying to figure out a muddled story which looks as it was haphazardly assembled from waste material of other games. A cheap last minute-solution methinks, not really worth playing.

The game could have been terrific. If only ERS had picked up the thread again with the six dead workers. Or even with the escaped asylum patients. If only they had kept the stories close to railways, had done without castle, theatre and especially without the lost bonus valley. The obsessed worker was a great idea – and a missed opportunity. Why is this character in the game at all when he has to vanish as soon as he appears?

I think with all the glitches, the mediocre storylines and the Asian jumble in the bonus, this game has no CE quality. However I would recommend the SE.

Go to: