bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Magic Ball 4 comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 6, 09 3:19 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

alexcarl
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

Re:Magic Ball 4 comments and reviews

[Post New]by alexcarl on Sep 6, 09 6:18 AM
game stops during the 1st game. it wont start again.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 6, 09 6:55 AM
I had not played this type of game before so gave this a try.
I was expecting instructions but did not see any, Took me lots of game over and restarts to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I got through level 1 and started level 2 but the control at bottom of screen kept sticking so I found this too frustrating.
This game is not for me.

gemangus
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by gemangus on Sep 6, 09 7:10 AM
this game wont even start for me. disappointing because i like arcade games and gamezebo gave this a very rare five stars. i am going to try magic ball 3

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Sep 6, 09 7:14 AM
think i will pass on this one.

tribrach
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by tribrach on Sep 6, 09 7:25 AM
When the game ran correctly it good arcade fun, but several times the "pointer" became sticky ( for want of a better word ) & therefore it was impossible to continue playing!
Think I'll pass on this one

kissthis
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by kissthis on Sep 6, 09 8:43 AM
I have always liked the graphics on all the magic ball games. While most games with sequels seem to get boring and decrease in interest magic ball doesn't. I have never bought one however, as I have always played them online for free. I have not tried this demo yet but am looking forward to it.

Toffifee
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,383 Posts

[Post New]by Toffifee on Sep 6, 09 11:15 AM
Though Vista told me something to be defect with the game (couldn't get the message so quickly) it ran without fault.

This weekend the first Xmas cookies were to find in the shops, so it's also time for a game with icy landscapes, Santa and his reindeers

Well, if you like games where you have to destroy and collect everything, you should give this a try. It's true, there isn't a tutorial, but after some levels you know what bonus to collect and what not (it's obviously you shouldn't collect a skull, isn't it?) And as soon as you can risk an eye to read the descriptions coming up at the bottom of your screen when collecting something, you know which purpose the items have.

The round shape of the paddle makes it easy to aim; on the other hand, there is so much action on your screen, that it's sometimes difficult to see your ball (a little challenge MUST be

I sat before my screen with a big grin and felt very much entertained; from my side

lilorange
Flounder
Flounder
2,206 Posts

[Post New]by lilorange on Sep 6, 09 11:31 AM
I enjoy the Magic Ball series, and am hoping this one is also great. I was a little leary as many are having problems, but I'm going to to give it a try anyway since Toffifee was able to. Keeping fins crossed!

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Sep 6, 09 12:03 PM
Fizzball is one of my favorites so Magic Ball, which is a lot like it but better, should be a lot of fun, too. And it was! Lots of action, color, funny and effective upgrades. Caught a skull just by reflex, maybe two. Then, along about level five or six I was running out of time. Figured I'd have to play the level over but all of a sudden time ran out and "GAME OVER"! Oh no, I can't play a game that makes me restart. That's no fun and too much pressure. Is there a do-over or relaxed mode? I hope so because I really love the game.

I have to stop for a while but will try the game a little later, looking for untimed mode or loopholes of any kind.

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Sep 6, 09 2:04 PM
Good news. It seems when you start game you can select any level to return to, or replay or move on. Really love the game now.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Sep 6, 09 3:05 PM
I'm a big fan of arcade/breakout type games but this one really disappointed me.

First of all, it kept locking up. The first time, at the end of level 5, it locked my computer up totally except for that inane music which just kept on playing. I tried everything and finally had to do a hard boot.

But even when it wasn't locked up it stuttered and the paddle kept dragging. One of the most important things in these types of games is that the paddle moves quickly and smoothly and that the ball physics are good. This game let me down on both counts.

I didn't mind the lack of a tutorial because I've played lots of these game before. But there really should at least be a page showing all the bonuses/maluses so that you can know what to catch from the beginning. Instead of wasting a bunch of lives trying to figure it out.

Another problem is that your score doesn't carry over. If you exit the game, then go back in to play again, you can start from the level where you left off. But your score is reset to zero.

I love that you can replay any level. Great idea. But what's the point of the game if I can't build up a big score? How to I compete against myself (or someone else, for that matter) if it just keeps resetting the score to zero every time I have to go back to my real life.

Frankly, with great games like Ricochet:Lost World and Fizzball out there, I really can't see any reason to purchase this one.

[Post New]by Annabelle0926 on Sep 6, 09 4:40 PM
I really like this game. This is the first breakout type game that I've been successful at playing! I'm using Vista 64 bit and haven't had any trouble at all. I'm putting this on my to buy list because it's fun. Now I'm going to download the other ones! Thanks.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Sep 6, 09 8:26 PM
Annabelle0926 wrote:I really like this game. This is the first breakout type game that I've been successful at playing! I'm using Vista 64 bit and haven't had any trouble at all. I'm putting this on my to buy list because it's fun. Now I'm going to download the other ones! Thanks.

It's wonderful that you found a game in this genre you enjoy.

Have you tried Fizzball? It's a really fun game and it has a kids mode thats easier (you can't die!) and that mode is a great way to learn the game.

You might also want to try Chicken Invaders. It's really goofy with great sound effects. Loads of fun!

2easy
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by 2easy on Sep 6, 09 11:15 PM
I give up with these BFG games lately.....should be called Big Freeze!

[Post New]by juanita1965 on Sep 7, 09 11:43 AM
Magic 4 was fun and the graphics were great !

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Sep 7, 09 4:19 PM
I ditto SublimeOne's recommendation of Fizzball to Juanita1965 and Annabelle0926. If you're enjoying Magic Ball 4, give Fizzball a try. I play in kids' mode because in the more challenging mode, I'd lose track of the ball in tight quarters and lose a life in a blur.

The concept is simple and fun. You help pick up animals with the small transparent ball to take them to a sanctuary. The ball starts small but gets bigger and bigger as you pick up the frogs and duckings and move all the way up to the bigger rhinos and polar bears. All of them tumble around in the ball as it scoots around. Occasion mini games break up the levels which are similar but still fun. Cheerful music, graphics and animal sounds make it a nice, little game, one you can pick up and play any time.

SublimeOne, I'll have to take a look at Chicken Invaders. Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited on 09/07/2009 at 4:23:15 PM PST

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Sep 7, 09 8:29 PM
Chicken Invaders is a little harder than FIzzball but the chicks you rescue are just so darn cute that I never seem to mind dying.

Plus, even if you run out of lives you don't have to start all over at the beginning again. You can just pick up from wherever you left off. Which I personally love!

Now if you want a more serious breakout type game you should certainly try the Ricochet series. There's 3 or 4 of them now, I think, with the last one being the hardest.

The real highlight for these is that there are thousands and thousands of user created level sets you can download and play. All of the additional level sets are free once you've bought the game.

The Reflexive website (they are the developers) has all the levelsets listed and you can sort them by ratings, date, creator, etc. That way you can choose only the easiest ones if you want and work your way up. They even have ones rated especially for kids.

It's definitely worth a look but I probably wouldn't start with the latest version because it's a lot more complex. Try Lost Worlds or Extreme first. BFG sells them all so you can demo all the versions and see which one feels best. But there are thousands more levels for each of them so you'll have no problem finding levels you like to play.

Hope you find something you like.

gemangus
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by gemangus on Sep 8, 09 4:41 AM
SublimeOne wrote:Chicken Invaders is a little harder than FIzzball but the chicks you rescue are just so darn cute that I never seem to mind dying.

Plus, even if you run out of lives you don't have to start all over at the beginning again. You can just pick up from wherever you left off. Which I personally love!

Now if you want a more serious breakout type game you should certainly try the Ricochet series. There's 3 or 4 of them now, I think, with the last one being the hardest.

The real highlight for these is that there are thousands and thousands of user created level sets you can download and play. All of the additional level sets are free once you've bought the game.

The Reflexive website (they are the developers) has all the levelsets listed and you can sort them by ratings, date, creator, etc. That way you can choose only the easiest ones if you want and work your way up. They even have ones rated especially for kids.

It's definitely worth a look but I probably wouldn't start with the latest version because it's a lot more complex. Try Lost Worlds or Extreme first. BFG sells them all so you can demo all the versions and see which one feels best. But there are thousands more levels for each of them so you'll have no problem finding levels you like to play.

Hope you find something you like.

thanks for new ideas. i appreciate hearing about more than HOG

[Post New]by craiga on Sep 9, 09 8:12 AM
I love the game - - but I can't save high scores for some reason. Each time I quit, and resume the game later, my previous high score has been zeroed out - - yet, I'm still directed back to the level I just completed.

What's the story? There's no reason to play if you can't accumulate high scores....

Go to: