Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Canvas: A Murder Exposed Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 26, 15 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 09/26/2015 at 7:03:28 AM PST

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Canvas: A Murder Exposed Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by greenshade on Sep 26, 15 4:27 AM
I don’t know why I was impressed w/beta.. but it was a horrible demo w/54 mins left.. no attempt at lip moves, expressions on faces don’t always match situation, (i.e. groom smiling when bride found dead in dumbwaiter at end of demo), simple tasks, I do like that the photo album records codes, etc.

Oh and voice overs completely went away at the end of the demo.

Won't be a buy for me

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Canvas: A Murder Exposed Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by 9otters on Sep 26, 15 5:04 AM
This is the first game in a couple of weeks that I was moved to play, BUT...had three tech issues in the demo alone. Uninstalled. Installed. Same issues...listed in the Tech Issues thread.

Very disappointing. Especially since I was interested in the story, gameplay was interesting with some thought involved, collectibles aren't "handed" to you...among other things.

Such a shame.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Sep 26, 15 6:03 AM
PART ONE OF THREE:

KILL ME!
Without question, the WORST game I've played in over a year. Perhaps in the two years since I purchased the last Dark Canvas game. Two years to get it right. Epic Fail.

In this episode of The Bad, The Bad and The Ugly, the role the gamer takes on, the protagonist of this game/story, is as a photographer at a wedding. In the early stages after the photographer's (my) arrival, I'm being toured around the house by the sister of the Bride-to-be.

OVERALL RATING:
One star is too generous by one star. Unfortunately zero stars is not an option. Negative stars even less so. But it deserves a negative rating. It has set Hidden Object/Puzzle/Adventure games back a decade (before the first one was published. Indeed, before the first HOG/Puzzle/Adventure game was even conceived).

FUN FACTOR:
The most fun I had was finding the review of the previous game from Dark Canvas and confirming that my sense of what's good and what's not hasn't changed...and that I'm not nuts for thinking this game is terrible.

VISUAL/SOUND QUALITY
I. WHAT YOU HEAR
a. When I started the game I had the highest of hopes: the soundtrack was great. It began with a couple of Jazzy musical numbers, not unlike the great music from the Cadenza series. It was straight downhill after this.

Once the intro was over the real soundtrack began in earnest. Stark piano playing a single, high-pitched note, repeating quickly and additional music from a stringed instrument meant to sound scary. After listening to it for 58 minutes it was really just way too much.

b. The single good thing to report about this game is the voice acting: they absolutely had great acting talent. These people sounded like professional voice actors. Sadly, there wasn't even an effort at lip-synching. Games these days are incredible with abundant features. There is no excuse for there not to be lip-synching and for it to be done well. Perhaps knowing their own limitations they opted not even to take a stab at it.

II. WHAT YOU SEE
I didn't see a lot because I didn't make much progress in the game. What I saw wasn't bad. It was dark, certainly. Perhaps that's why it's called Dark Canvas.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Edited on 09/26/2015 at 6:10:03 AM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Sep 26, 15 6:06 AM
PART TWO OF THREE

LEVEL OF CHALLENGE
a. The first game required moving discs, without obstacles, from their incorrect placement to the correct place. The discs had a symbol on them and I had to match up the symbol on the disc with the symbol next to the space it should occupy. There were five total discs, if memory serves. They spotted two of the five. And just in case I wouldn't know if I had matched the symbol on the disc to the symbol next to the target location, the disc lit up when placed. My two-year old could have done this....My two-year old dog, Stanley.

b. The second game required arranging 4 large Ws (located on the cover of a roll top desk) into the same position as 4 large Ws located in the front yard of the house where all the action was taking place.

WHAT I LIKED:

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

I took notes as I went along. I had to. I couldn't believe the game was as bad as I was experiencing...surely I was wrong. (I even took a photograph with my phone of one screen shot. I thought my hour was running out and I didn’t want to miss one more reason not to buy this game).
By the way: I was not wrong.

a. "I'd love for you to take a picture of Carol and I." If English grammar means anything to you, then "...of Carol and I" is like fingernails on a blackboard. "Of" is a preposition. The noun and pronoun which follow are "objects of the preposition." "Of Carol and ME" is the proper grammar.

b. Later (evidently I developed the pic I took...even though I haven't changed the expired red light in the developing room) because the sister of the bride says to the shutterbug: "I'd love to see the picture of Carol and I. Go check it out." OK. Once again there's the preposition-object of the preposition problem, but more than that: "I" would like to see it. "YOU" go check it out. WHAT???? Maybe "I would love to see it, let's check it out." Maybe. "I would love to see it. Show it to me." Probably. "I would love to see it. Check it out." No. Not ever.

c. As I (the photographer) continue the tour of the house, I make a stop in the kitchen. I see a pot of soup and what looks to be an empty recipe holder and say "I can cook something up myself once I have a recipe." Wait. I thought I was the photographer, not the caterer.

d. I spot an open door and say: "God. Did whoever was out there get in?" Well, that's what doors are for, right?

TO BE CONTINUED

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Sep 26, 15 6:09 AM
PART THREE OF THREE
e. I spot an open window and say "Why is the window open? Did someone leave? Or come in?" Of course. I usually make my entrances and exits through windows. Doesn't everyone?. (I know it's a murder mystery, but at this point in the proceedings the murder hasn't happened yet).

f. As I snoop around the house I see a note left by the Carol's sister. It's her crib sheet for the speech/toast she's giving at the wedding reception: "I strive for a life as good as my little sister Carol's. She has a charming husband and a father who loves her. I hope to have these myself one day." WAIT. YOU'RE CAROL'S SISTER. YOU HAVE THE SAME FATHER. EVEN IF HE HATES YOU, YOU'RE NOT GETTING ANOTHER ONE. THE ONE YOU HAVE IS THE ONE YOU KEEP.

My point here is that there's so much bad about this game, if there were anything good it's obscured by the total lack of attention to detail in every other aspect.

One of the "features" of the game is a little camera that the gamer takes photos with...photos of clues which will help solve the mystery of who murders whom. It's beyond me why this feature would make the game interesting to a photographer…but it’s been suggested that it would. That's an insult to photography. And it’s an insult to game-players and game developers anywhere. Everywhere.

Finally, and correct me if I'm wrong, but, doesn't dark "canvas" refer to a painting? A painting and a photograph are two completely different things. From the very beginning this game has mixed metaphors.

You should not buy this game. In no circumstance would I suggest you buy this. These reviews are to be instructive. If I did recommend this game, you would rightfully ignore any other review I ever write.

Do not buy this. There is no deal good enough to justify it. Free is too much money to spend on this...BECAUSE. YOUR. TIME. IS. VALUABLE.

I'm sorry this game deserves such a negative review, but it does. I've looked at the "Tips for writing a helpful review." I'm not reporting technical issues. I'm clearly focused on the game and the game play. I'm being specific about what I liked (almost nothing) and didn't like (nearly everything). I have not revealed any details that will spoil the story. The game does that well enough on its own.

I have definitely shared my real opinion.

RUN.

Edited on 09/26/2015 at 6:17:06 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Sep 26, 15 7:05 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Canvas: A Murder Exposed Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Canvas: A Murder Exposed Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

sollys
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by sollys on Sep 26, 15 8:18 AM
I am impressed with the demo. I had no problems at all. I love the storyline and the graphics are awesome. Definitely a buy for mje.

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Sep 26, 15 9:13 AM
When it began I just knew there would be a car accident , was surprised there wasn't , going along pretty well until stupid things started happening ....HELLO ! Martha walking around with the door knob to the kitchen pantry , then the bride gives you the knob for the washer !!! HAHAHAHAHAHA !!! Yes that did it for me !

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Sep 26, 15 11:42 AM
Especially one fishie has given very detailled review(s) on why she/he would never recommend this game.

Ok. This is one opinion.

I played the demo and I like what I played so far. Of course there are the typical illogical things (a person comes along and hands you what you need....) but this is a game, not a report. It is a nice story in a suiting atmosphere.

I'm looking forward to play more. A game should be relaxing and this one will be.

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 26, 15 1:19 PM
Going Against The Grain Here.

I have read the reviews here and on the game page and my review of the game is different, but as I have only just submitted it on the game page which can take 72 hours to appear - here it is and I hated it!

Absolutely nothing in this game interested me as it is complete boredom!

The graphics were good and I liked the butler‘s voice although I preferred looking at the dog. I also found that the butler asking the wedding photographer’s help in getting rid of the slobbering dog absurd, he/she doesn’t live there so why should they deal with the dog?

I did not like the two HOS I played although most items were easy to find some were very obscure so had to use a Hint several times, something I have not done in years.

I think at this point I fell asleep from boredom at approx 9.30am and about 20 minutes later Dax (my dog) woke me up, and I was determined to finish what was left of the demo. It never happened as the game continued to lack anything, i.e. excitement, anticipation, suspense, so as there was nothing of interest I stopped playing!

As for the camera - ditch it as it’s totally irrelevant.

As for the bride and her sister - ditch them too!

Voices - no lip synch!! I think this should be a requirement for all CE games.

A dreadful game which I definitely do not recommend.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Sep 26, 15 2:05 PM
Well I liked it.

Not the most brilliant demo ever, but not exactly the worst. I played one not that long ago that was much worse than this one.

The graphics were clear, not too dark, and no pinks and blues, and fairytale stuff going on.
A good murder mystery.

Edited on 09/26/2015 at 2:09:01 PM PST

siscokid
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by siscokid on Sep 26, 15 5:35 PM
Sorry. Not to offend anyone or receive backlash for this but.....I quite like the game. So, I bought it. This opinion is based on playing a portion of the demo, so I guess that there is room for change on that regard. That being said, so far, it's entertaining and engaging. Lip synching aside, (for me anyway) it's not that big of a deal if it's somewhat off. Or grammatical errors. For me, stuff like that in a game can be overlooked. I'm not sure how translation factors in, if it was originally in another language. If so, I would think it would be a small challenge to provide excerpts. If I was in a classroom well....That's different, although I did learn something new today insofar and objectively, how the English language is proposed properly. Thank you for that. Knowledge is always a good thing. I kinda felt like, "Are you smarter than a Fifth Grader?" Which, if anyone has seen the show, sometimes....I'm not!

Anyhoo, like I stated above, I went ahead and purchased the game. As an Addendum, more to follow after perusing the game some more.

All is well.

Addendum: After playing the whole way through, I see what other's meant by the character's lip synch and facial expressions. Where there was horror expressed, the character still had this huge grin on their face. Weird and very off-putting. Also, the game was super easy...
With that being said, I'm glad I did not pay full price for this game. Do not be fooled by the demo which is the only part of the game that is interesting. It's all downhill from there. I regret this purchase and cannot recommend this game.

sfr8rfan: Boy, do I wish I had listened AND took heed! I could've saved myself some money for a much worthier game. You sure knew exactly what you were talking about. Next time I'll pay more attention!

Edited on 09/28/2015 at 11:46:34 AM PST

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Sep 26, 15 9:24 PM

Edited on 09/28/2015 at 9:35:17 AM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Sep 27, 15 7:42 AM
First of all, I want to thank sfr8rfan for a wonderful and funny review. That said, while I don't think this game is as resolutely awful as sfr8rfan's and others reviews, it has some real problems, including the complete absence of voice over at the end of the demo, which, by the way was, on my computer, 59 minutes, not 90 or anywhere near. However, let me start with why, if the wedding took place on the estate, the photographer is going there in her (most likely a her, given the bare arms) car, which doesn't look like it belongs in 1955, the probable date of this game, but in the '30's or the 'early 40's. Why is she even there at all at this point, when everyone has gone, and nothing really looks like a wedding has taken place -- no actual staff, no massive clean-up, nothing indicating a lot of people were just present. As a professional photographer, she should be able to develop her photos at her own place, instead of using outdated equipment in her client's back room. I noticed that the burners on the rather more modern stove than the era had, were extremely modern, the kind that have no coils or gas. Not even invented. I thought the movable keyhole game was interesting, but kind of ridiculous. I'd like one of those keyholes myself. People in this game carry around all kinds of odd things, including knobs to washing machines. I wonder if Martha was going to take that on her honeymoon?

I actually liked the use of the piano, which had a tinkle, some chords, and now and then an actual measure or 3 played, although at one point all sound stopped, which was disconcerting. Having "I" be the object would never have been said in the 1950's, by the way -- people were far more rigorously schooled in grammar, and who thought "Whittle" was an interesting name for a mystery story - Whittle? Really?

I agree that the photographs as a gimmick weren't that interesting, except now and then, and the photos of the special spots which turn into photos of different points in the mystery had no explanation at all. I had no idea what we were doing or why. I only found one morphing object, and I don't know if there were more I missed. Ultimately, although I generally like mysteries, and it's mostly what I read, I found this kind of clunky, with too many black screens at the end of a scene or cut scene, and with all the technical problems, and the utter lack of any kind of lip synch (this is a CE after all), I doubt I would ever buy it.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 28, 15 12:21 PM
Hello friends! I really wasn't too thrilled with the graphics in this one. It made me think of paper dolls, being one dimensional and not much in the way of animation, except for the dog. Colors were nice and game play was very good. I had no problems during the demo and the game fit my large screen very well. The voice overs sounded like there might have been only 2 and possibly only 3 people, as they all sounded the same. They were trying to change their voice, but it just didn't work that well and there seemed to be an echo or tinny sound to them. There are some sound FX, but this is supposed to be a "thriller," so it could have easily been done a bit better and with a little more "scare" to it, especially through the music.

The HOPs were okay. Items were not difficult to find. The demo was so short that I didn't make it to the attic to try out the pictures I had taken. Even on custom mode, the camera flashes enough so that you don't miss when you need to take a picture. Puzzles were very simple. I didn't run across many HOPs or puzzles during the demo. There is a jump map, which comes in quite handy, since you do back track a lot and there doesn't seem to be a transport feature.

Collectibles...morphing objects that are not as easy to spot as you may think. However, if you think you missed one, just look at the map and it will show a gold star if you didn't find it the first time through. Fortunately, you can go back. As I said, you do a lot of back tracking, so you'll have plenty of chances to find it if you missed it. You also take "hidden" pictures. The camera will let you know when you need to take a picture, so you don't have to remember what the icon looks like when you find one. I was quite disappointed in the collectibles. I did like the challenge of finding the morphing objects, but it just needed something extra to keep me interested and make it CE worthy.

This was not a bad game, but I did not feel it was CE worthy. The story was somewhat interesting and for some unknown reason, I find the need to see how it plays out. I just wish the demo had been a little longer. It makes me wonder how really short the game might be. I think a number of people will find this one fun and/or interesting. This is one of those games that I sometimes buy just because and for no other reason. Yes, I will get this one, but I'm not sure yet if I want to spend the

[Post New]by moonwalker97478 on Sep 29, 15 2:49 PM
It is a really good game.I liked all of it but especially the last of the bonus,i actually had goose bumps on my arms the way it ended.Very good story.

JellyRage
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by JellyRage on Sep 30, 15 9:58 PM
I am enjoying this game. I have been a member of BIgFish for years so I find that I have become jaded and picky with games. But this is my type of game. I am not finished, but paused to post a review.....Mostly because I read so many Negative reviews before playing. Agreed as others have mentioned that alot of games start with a crashed car etc..but i have found that those are the best games. I didn't try the demo so I haven't experienced any querks others have mentioned. I really like this game. I don't need to write three essays to critique, although some may feel the need to write three essays. Happy gaming.

JellyRage
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by JellyRage on Sep 30, 15 10:57 PM
also, the atmosphere is awesome. It feels like you're in the house. There is a rainstorm outside. It sets a great mood and ambiance.

j62janet
Clownfish
Clownfish
638 Posts

[Post New]by j62janet on Oct 2, 15 6:34 AM
I loved the game, and the ending is spooky, I hope there is another game soon, to finish off the story, as it cries out for one

Go to: