Running Mystic Inn on Windows 7

[Post New]by dstclair on Sep 7, 09 9:06 AM
I know technically at the time of writing this, Windows 7 is "not supported" yet, but I have the release candidate and I was able to make it work. These are the steps I had to do:

1) Click the "Start" menu (circle). Where is says "Search programs and files" paste in and hit enter: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mystic Inn

2) Right click on Mystic Inn.exe and click properties. Click on the Compatibility Tab. Check the checkbox that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

3) Check "Disable visual themes" and click ok at the bottom.

4) Back in windows explorer (folder view) double click the folder "local". You should have a file called "options.ini". By default this file is not writable. Right click options.ini and choose Properties. Click the security tab. In the box that says "Group or user names:" choose "Users". Underneath that box there is an edit button. Click that. A windows pops up and again you see a box with "Group or user names:". Choose the "Users" group. Down below you see a box that says "Permissions for Users". Check the "Allow" box next to the Full control option. (All checkboxes on the left are checked"). Click ok at the bottom.

5) Right click on the file options.ini and click Edit. (You can use notepad). Change the line: opengl=0 to opengl=1. Save the file.

6) To launch the game you need to create a new shortcut. Right click on Mystic Inn.exe and click "Send To-->Desktop (create shortcut)"

That's it.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

Re:Running Mystic Inn on Windows 7

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Jul 5, 10 6:26 PM
DstClair - Thank you sooo much!!! I had tried this months ago and it still wasn't working but I saw someone else had posted saying your directions were a success. I so badly have wanted to play this game so I actually tried it again - low & behold, it worked perfectly!!!

Loving this game (and the music!! Great song!) - it so different from any other TM I have played with the cool graphical effects and all. Seems very cutting edge - even though the game is probably a few years old now.

Thanks so much again!

Edited on 10/01/2010 at 5:42:04 PM PST

[Post New]by echoshifting on Sep 26, 10 2:48 PM
Had to register to say this worked beautifully for me. I followed these instructions exactly and now it works. Thank you!!

halfadime7
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by halfadime7 on Oct 1, 10 4:39 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. At first I thought it was too much tech for me to understand, but your step by step instructions are spot on. You ROCK!!!

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Oct 1, 10 5:44 PM
Yes! This worked for me too!

Now if Azada had the same file params to fix.

Re: Running Mystic Inn on Windows 7

[Post New]by JenniZen on Dec 24, 10 7:41 PM
Thank you from me as well! I love this game and was soooo disappointed when I uograded my PC to Windows 7 and Mystic Inn would not play. Your instructions worked perfectly and were really easy to follow. Your post here is very much appreciated!

[Post New]by joisukuah on Jan 19, 11 4:44 AM
Im still having some problems understanding how to do the next few steps after disabling the visual themes in properties.

HELP!!!!! i reinstalled the game but still cant play.. sad now..

jbro617
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by jbro617 on Sep 2, 11 9:15 AM
I am unable to play the game using Windows 7, i have tried to make the change you suggest but it will not let me save the changes? any idea?

Go to: