eliwin1021
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

Nicholas vs Gavin

[Post New]by eliwin1021 on Sep 12, 09 7:48 AM
What are your opinions on Nicholas and Gavin?

Initially, I chose Gavin over Nicholas, but after finding Ava Oneye and Uthar asked me to teach Nicholas some manners, I thought it would be more important to the game that I did, so I kicked Gavin to the curb. I feel like that might have been kind of a mistake because Gavin has much more powerful magic and I think he would be more useful in battle. I know Nicholas has the lullaby which is useful, but his health spells don't do all that much. I don't know, maybe Gavin just looks better because I chose Nicholas (the grass is always greener).

Why can't we all just get along?!

chambord
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

Re:Nicholas vs Gavin

[Post New]by chambord on Sep 12, 09 1:34 PM
You can go on the game maker's website and download something so they can stand to be near each other.

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,357 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Sep 12, 09 3:01 PM
I pretty much always play with Nicholas in my party and never with Gavin. You're right in that he generally isn't very useful in battle, but I find he comes in really handy when fighting the snow wolves. His lullaby spell gets them to sleep quite well, and if I recall correctly (just about to reach that stage again now after not having played for a long time) his sunshine spell, which you can buy in Ever After, works well on them too. Without Nicholas, I seriously struggle getting past the wolves!

blitzen13
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by blitzen13 on Sep 12, 09 4:59 PM
But Gavin can acquire the North Wind spell, which is one of the most effective attacks in the final battle.

And apparently you can marry him to Ava if you do certain things right.

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,357 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Sep 12, 09 6:32 PM
Yeah, I just read that in anotehr thread too! Maybe I should play again and give Gavin another shot

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Sep 14, 09 3:59 PM
I tried so very hard and for such a long time to....respect....Nicholas. Really !!!
But after that unfortunate incident with the beggar in Thais, I banished Nicholas to his room and galloped poste haste to woo Gavin back by my side.
Nicholas is assuredly the greatest healer in the land but the boy couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag.

[Post New]by gamergirl713 on Oct 1, 09 10:49 AM
Gavin sounds like the better of the two. where do u find him in the game? I've been playing for a while and got to thais and got nicholas for the eris quest. Do you find gavin later or did i miss something earlier in the game?

chambord
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by chambord on Oct 1, 09 11:50 AM
He is later in the game. From where you are it is not too far. He is in town that is on a swamp. Don't remember the name of the town but it is full of witches. If you enter the forest on the right of Thais you will encounter two spiders from there go south until you are out in the world. You have to pass through the swamp area to get there.

Plectrude
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Plectrude on Mar 30, 10 5:56 AM
I've played with both, Nicholas and Gavin ... well, I personally like Nicholas more.
Even Gavin can learn healing spell, he is in not strong enough. If you have Gavin as an active in your party when you face the Snow Queen - he'll do, but when Heptitus came - you will not have a big chance to win because they both use dark magic. Nicholas is using white magic and his spells work pretty good in final fight even when you face Heptitus.

Maybe is right that Nicholas isn't useful in battle, but neither do Gavin. His spells aren't so special and they actually make less demage then Emma's attack.
Nicholas can learn shields spells and this is helpful when you fight Heptitus - he can protect you against dark magic spells and hit the enemy with his Sunshine spell.
If Gavin doesn't know the North Wind spell ... he can't do anything special.

I vote for Nicholas

jammer_abc
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by jammer_abc on Feb 27, 11 5:35 PM
I just tried to load the goodie from the developer's web site and it didn't work. Since this game was produced a while ago I guess it doesn't support XP.

jammer_abc
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by jammer_abc on Feb 27, 11 5:45 PM
Nevermind, just figured it out. Needed to talk to Helga after I chose Gavin...

[Post New]by Huntleyhimnher on Nov 5, 11 4:05 AM
My question is ..... Is nicholas essential to finish the game as I didn't take him.

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,357 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Nov 5, 11 11:48 PM
Nope, he isn't. You can complete the game with either Gavin or Nicholas, it's just a matter of battle preference: Gavin has more attack options while Nicholas has more healing options.

[Post New]by Huntleyhimnher on Nov 6, 11 11:39 PM
Ok thanks, I ended up getting him to get past those red fairies, they were hard!!

AuntieRose
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by AuntieRose on Feb 22, 12 8:44 PM
memawclay2 wrote: I tried so very hard and for such a long time to....respect....Nicholas. Really !!!
But after that unfortunate incident with the beggar in Thais, I banished Nicholas to his room and galloped poste haste to woo Gavin back by my side.
Nicholas is assuredly the greatest healer in the land but the boy couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag.
if you talk to enough villagers in thias with Nicholas in your party then eventually someone will throw something at him and he'll be embarrassed enough to apologize to the beggar and has to buy everyone cheese
And if you go to bog wood talk to Dredel Ava will offer him a present. If you make him accept it then it will now be funny to try to watch him make another insult

[Post New]by Ayesha_angel93 on Oct 12, 13 1:33 AM
jammer_abc wrote:Nevermind, just figured it out. Needed to talk to Helga after I chose Gavin...

everytime i try nicolas isn't there what to i need to do to get both without the goodie?

Go to: