bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Bumble Tales reviews and comments

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 13, 09 1:10 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Re:Bumble Tales reviews and comments

[Post New]by ecblisa on Sep 13, 09 1:21 AM
Have to go to bed after playing a short game, but so far this one gets no from me. A dull square game board with nothing particularly attractive about the art, and constant interruption of game play to take "upgrades," which are mostly just an excuse to mention silly text. Someone somewhere will probably like this game. So far, I don't. Sorry -- I was waiting for another good match-3 like Babylonia.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 13, 09 2:03 AM
That would be me, ecblisa!

I find this a very pleasing little Match 3, great bright graphics, NO TIMER, funny story line and very friendly upgrades and power-ups you can choose on the fly as you play. Yep, this one is geared towards kids I'm guessing as it's very easy, at least for the first hour, but I like easy Match 3s as I tend to play them when listening to an audio book doing a little pain management and what I *don't* want is pressure.

True, not challenging in any way so far, but I enjoy building the little town and seeing all the teeny bumbles running around and reading/listening to their goofy stories. It will take something amazing in the Match 3 genre to come close to The Adventures of Mary Ann - Lucky Pirates for me, but for what it is, a simple, friendly, bright and cheerful Match 3 for everybody, I think it's a gem.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Sep 13, 09 5:10 AM
I'm not a fan of match 3 games. Usually, they either are too hard for me or they bore me. I like this one. The story is cute enough to keep me matching so I can get more characters and hear their story. I'm buying it.

rainroosty
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by rainroosty on Sep 13, 09 5:12 AM
It looks to me like this is going to be one of those "you either love it or you hate it" games. :-)
I just played it for 20 minutes. I read the "how to play" instructions twice over.
I find the game to be pointless and the instructions serious lacking detail. I also feel that the control of swapping tiles is clumsy.
My final verdict is that I'd rather burn myself on the oven. I wouldn't ever play this one if it was free.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Sep 13, 09 5:43 AM
I enjoy Match 3 games as a rule but this one is not for me.

Played for 10 minutes - upgraded the Mayor & the town hall, but when I selected the cat, the game froze up, gave me a black screen and I had to open Task Manager to exit.

That alone would prevent me from buying it. But I would not have done so for several other reasons:

Very short levels on a very small screen only requiring a few matches to complete
Too 'cute' for my taste
Too much time spent upgrading
No interest in reading or listening to the stories

Yes - this is a love it or hate it game. Actually, there hasn't been much on BFG for me lately at all - the last game I bought was Drawn.

ETA - I've noticed BFG has not had time to review many games lately - wonder why!

Edited on 09/13/2009 at 5:44:49 AM PST

[Post New]by liverpoolsquatte on Sep 13, 09 6:59 AM
Can't say I'm impressed with this one, maybe ok for kids. It;s a bit too easy and short levels. Won't be buying this one...sorry.

asquared
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by asquared on Sep 13, 09 8:19 AM
It's a cute game, but the response time for me is horrible. (Yes, I have the latest drivers and upgrades. I've seen this problem in a few games; apparently my system is just not designed for them, and the solution is not to buy them.)

To be specific: screen updates do not happen very quickly. I'll make a match, and I can see some little starbursts about matches, but the redraw doesn't happen quicly enough to really see what's happening. Also, after a match, I have to wait a bit before the mouse responds. It's a slow game, so that's tolerable (barely), but it's not fun.

Does anyone know what the "M" and "?" squares are for?

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 13, 09 8:45 AM
An internet search revealed that this game has over 120 levels. What I need to know is whether or not the match-3 play in this game gets more interesting.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 13, 09 9:06 AM
asquared wrote:Does anyone know what the "M" and "?" squares are for?

When I clicked my mouse on the "M" just now, one of the characters told me it was a magnet, but I remain unenlightened as to what I do with it, or when.

Edited on 09/13/2009 at 9:15:45 AM PST

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Sep 13, 09 1:04 PM
I usually like M-3 games, but this one did not make my list. Not enogh or any challenge. No timer, easy goals and no real story line. I must admit that I only played for 5 minutes when I said, "what's the point. Out of 5-stars, I give it "0".

[Post New]by NessieQ on Sep 13, 09 2:10 PM
Howatch wrote:
asquared wrote:Does anyone know what the "M" and "?" squares are for?

When I clicked my mouse on the "M" just now, one of the characters told me it was a magnet, but I remain unenlightened as to what I do with it, or when.

The M squares are for your bonus power-ups. Quick overview for those too lazy to read the instructions, or simply couldn't understand them without playing for an hour to figure them out like me:

You have to make matches in 3's of each type of item (bricks, sticks, gold, water, leaves, etc) in order to have enough items to purchase or upgrade your town buildings and characters. Once you reach the minimum amount of items you can purchase/upgrade your characters and buildings to progress in the story and unlock other features.

Once you've earned a building and character, they each provide a different type of help to you within the game.

The buildings each deliver their own type of power-up, which can be activated when there's an M tile on the playing field. If the power meter is filled, simply right click on an M tile and it will execute the powerup (remove all the green tiles, remove an entire row, etc depending on the building you selected to use).

The characters each provided extra assistance to you as you play the game (For every match 3 of bricks you make, the nerdy looking kid will give you an extra brick for example while the mayor when fully upgraded will give you an extra stick and 2 extra bricks for each match). Look to see which tile type you're missing the most of, and pick the character who helps give you freebies in that area.

The storyline itself is too childish for me, but I like the idea of being able to upgrade and unlock additional characters and buildings. However, that too gets annoying by the design of the game play itself with the constant interruptions at each leveling up (what's the point? It doesn't give you anything or bring you to the character upgrade screen, and after an hour of trying the game I still hadn't figured out the purpose to that cut screen). Even with 120+ levels to play, I didn't notice the actual playability of the game improving or getting more challenging aside from needing 100+ bricks, leaves, water, etc to upgrade my buildings instead of only 50+ in the lower levels. I played through pretty fast, and at the end of my 60min free trial had already made it past level 50.

Overall, cute game but not challenging enough and annoying game play.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Sep 13, 09 2:22 PM
I didn't care for this one for much the same reasons as others of you mentioned. I do like some match 3 games but my main interest is the hidden object/adventure ones. I just could not get interested in this one. One of the things that irritated me, was you no longer get a very few matches and all of a sudden the score screen interrupts the game and along with it buying items for the game, etc. I didn't like that.
It wouldn't be so bad if it only showed up in between levels. It would be good for kids, though.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 13, 09 2:41 PM
I appreciate all the info.

I would have really liked the game if they had made the match-3 portion of the game progressively more challenging. As it stands, I'll probably have to give this game a pass.

[Post New]by akmurray on Sep 13, 09 6:34 PM
The Story Mode is easy. The Arcade Mode is pretty tough, but the progress in Story Mode carries over to Arcade Mode. The M blocks give +1 to every resource type. The ? blocks are Wild.

Edit: I called Arcade mode the wrong name

Edited on 09/14/2009 at 8:09:38 AM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 13, 09 7:07 PM
Is Challenge Mode the Arcade Mode? Or am I missing something?

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Sep 13, 09 7:58 PM
Cute fun game, great to do while watching tv. lol

Edited on 09/14/2009 at 7:27:09 PM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 14, 09 10:32 AM
Gamezebo has put up their review of this game, giving it four stars. They agree with Poodlebear.

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Sep 14, 09 7:21 PM
I would say I have to agree with poodlebear and Gamezebo too! Not the hardest of match 3 but that is not it's charm! I am enjoying it. Esp. after the Drawn and I do love match 3's.

Edited on 09/14/2009 at 7:24:29 PM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 22, 09 1:33 PM
I agree with castellerin, its an good match 3-game, but not the greatest. I give this game 3 stars (from 5 stars). I will wait for a better match 3-game

Go to: