Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Dimensions: Shadow Pirouette Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 3, 15 12:53 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/03/2015 at 7:37:31 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Dimensions: Shadow Pirouette Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 3, 15 4:08 AM
I think I've got to the point where these HOPA's all seem the same and don't really hold any interest for me any more Another 'gadget' that has a repetitive mini-game attached makes an appearance; seems to be the latest gimmick all the devs are using and therefore isn't a novelty any more. I long for the days when CE's were actually a challenge and not just an endless tide of the same old tasks wrapped in a slightly different package.

This game is nice enough in it's way but just so bland and unoriginal. Dark shadows dispelled by a lantern; didn't we do that in another game recently?? And if I see one more missing zipper pull in a game The HOS were very interactive (find this to open that to cut this to get that etc. etc.) but not all the same. The first puzzle I came across was excellent; quite unique and trickier than it appeared (give me a game full of those any day!). The others were not so unique.

The colour palette is quite blue-ish but the graphics are very clear. There is a jump map which is accessed through the journal and shows tasks. There are collectibles in the form of silhouettes. No idea what the extras are or how many chapters as I didn't look at the SG; no need, the game was so easy.

I've been very disappointed with the lacklustre games offered lately. Not BFG's fault, just the developers running out of original ideas and too many games by the same developers (mostly those starting with an E). Last CE I bought was Redemption Cemetery; the rest have been pretty nondescript. And that includes this game. Might go for the SE if I need to use a PCC but this CE is a no-buy.

I had no technical issues with the demo, which for me lasted 58 minutes. Desktop running Win7 Pro 64-bit.

fluffyalso
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Dimensions: Shadow Pirouette Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by fluffyalso on Oct 3, 15 5:19 AM
This game hits all the bells and whistles for a good BF CE game. However, I did not enjoy it at all. Seemed slow, repetitive and boring. No buy for me. No tech issues on my Win 10 AMD laptop. But have to agree with Angelfish106. Although, I wouldn't get it even as a freebie. Hope you like it better than I do.

peh4psu
Clownfish
Clownfish
526 Posts

[Post New]by peh4psu on Oct 3, 15 6:21 AM
Didn't I just play this game? Really weird. Maybe I Beta tested it, but it's soooooo familiar!

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Oct 3, 15 6:52 AM
I did beta this..3 days ago. So much for input. Not even going to bother trying the demo since the time lapse is such. I found the beta mind numbingly easy and unimaginative. The story line disjointed and boring. It was the first beta I ever did where I had very little good to say. If you are a beginner to HOGs this might be interesting. I say might....

As with all games...
Try before you buy!
Happy gaming

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Oct 3, 15 7:00 AM
I would rather games be released less often if that meant they would be more original and more challenging. Starting to think it's over for those of us who have been fans of these games as the only people they entertain anymore are those who are new to them and haven't seen the same thing over and over and not burnt out on the excessive hand holding..YET!! I compare the level of challenge to a paint by number paint set...except in this case your clicking through a story in the same way.
No need to add anymore as i think Angelfish summed it up well

Edited on 10/03/2015 at 7:07:17 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Oct 3, 15 7:39 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Dimensions: Shadow Pirouette Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Dimensions: Shadow Pirouette Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

hollyodie
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by hollyodie on Oct 3, 15 8:51 AM
And if I see one more missing zipper pull in a game
I had no technical issues with the demo, which for me lasted 58 minutes. Desktop running Win7 Pro 64-bit.

...and feathers! How do so many people lose the zipper pull? And why are birds always losing feathers?

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Oct 3, 15 9:54 AM
Yeah, I beta-tested this game, too, twice! The first time was a couple of months ago when I had little good to say about it. Then I beta-tested it again just a few days ago although I'm not sure why as nothing had improved. Extremely easy, nothing original, same, same, same game! Can no one come up with anything new and challenging? I agree, the games we're getting these days may be enjoyed by those who are new to this genre. For us who have played these for years, not so much. I used to purchase these CE games as soon as they came out. Not anymore, though. I bought one a short time back thinking it would be more of a challenge and suspenseful--couldn't even finish it. As for those broken zipper pulls, I have to roll my eyes at that one. Can't anyone give us a real challenge, with a real story line, and without anything "magical"? I've resorted to purchasing adventure games directly from the developer at higher prices in order to be assured a game that gives me a chance to exercise my brain by having to actually problem-solve.

dramajunkie
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,641 Posts

[Post New]by dramajunkie on Oct 3, 15 2:54 PM
One word: SPARKLES!
Too many custom modes give you only a choice of up to 10 seconds between sparkles. This one gives you 3 (or is it 6?) Whichever, 3, 6 or 10, I do not want sparkles on active areas! At all!
And that annoying, constantly glowing lantern...when we need to use it, glow all it wants. Otherwise shut up and stay dark.

As far as general (and this) games. Scary, evil, fantasy, rescue loved ones---zippers, screwdrivers etc. Same old stories... Anyone here have a new idea for HOGS? There's gotta be a compelling reason for a quest/adventure.
Maybe we're all too jaded. My old games are the "same old" stories with less interactive HOS and cruder graphics.
Just a thought. I am way more choosy about the games I buy. This one, for instance - is a no buy, even with a good sale.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 3, 15 8:33 PM
Hello friends! As always, I review on the game play and not the story, as others do a much better job of that than I do. Well, we have #6 in this series. I only have 4 of the other, didn't care for City of Ash. I beta tested this one in August and had some recommendations. I'm sure others probably did too and they finally listened. Graphics are very nice and sharp. Colors still have the blue and pink, but they have been toned down a bit. Otherwise, they are very clear. Game play was very good. Animation and mouth movements were exceptional. Voice overs are well done with emotion and not just reading a script. Music was not my favorite. Seemed like the same 5 notes kept playing over and over, so I turned it down a bit.

HOPs are nothing new but well done and fairly clean. We have silhouettes and "use this to do that, to get something else." Puzzles were quite simple. You have to use a lantern to dispel dark shadows, but before they disappear, you have to untangle ropes. I don't mind these now and then, but they get very old very quickly when you have to do it every time you use that silly lantern. Didn't care for that. Hint system is very helpful and does transport you to longer locations. I really like this feature in a game. The map does jump to locations, but it seems a bit cluttered to me, so I seldom used it.

Collectibles: all I found are character silhouettes. When you collect 3, you play a part of the story, which so far has not given me much insight into what is happening or why. I was annoyed with the box that I could not get rid of, "this is completed, now I can watch part of the show." Just wouldn't go away. Very disappointing collectibles in this one, if this is all we have.

All that being said, with the few changes the devs made to the beta, this game has improved some. I had rated it at only a 3 then, but now I think it would be a 4. It isn't really challenging, but the story has peaked my interest and I find the need to see how it plays out, so I will add it to my collection. I think this game will appeal to all levels of players, but maybe not as a CE. Not sure I will get this now or wait for the SE, so into my puddle it goes for now.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

ginro
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by ginro on Oct 4, 15 12:43 PM
Accident(boring), hospital room(need a screwdriver?here you go), colors(boring), satchel on bed(taken from another game), lobby(looks like the hotel lobby from another game), outside hospital(also taken from another game)!!! ETC!!!!! I know, I think I'll play my older games because 'them was the good 'ol days' when games were exciting and different and fun! Dev's need to hire more people with fresh ideas because the present crew is really tired and have run out of ideas for really good games. I'm off to play the cool games that made me look forward to the next cool games. The End...............

chrelm
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by chrelm on Oct 5, 15 10:43 AM
I demoed for 5 minutes then uninstalled the game. Too dumb for my taste.

[Post New]by mostly_nameless on Oct 5, 15 4:35 PM
The game sounds like something I'll pass on, but I had to laugh about the zipper pull. It's one of my biggest pet peeves.

I especially hate them when I'm standing there with a knife or some other cutting tool and I have to find the stupid zipper pull to open a cloth or leather bag.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Oct 8, 15 9:18 AM
Here we are again. Another game to toss on the "same game, different location" pile. Yet another over-used gimmick/gadget that requires a tedious, repeated mini-game to work. And yes, said gadget cannot be used more than a couple of times before it breaks, and must be repaired. NOTHING about this game trend is interesting, stimulating, or fun, IMO.

Is there a Devs competition for how many activities can be squeezed into a zoom-in window? Or how many needed items can be collected from ONE backpack/ purse/ suitcase, etc.? Or...how quickly each item will be used after we find it? More likely, creating fewer locations and fewer interactions, helps the "bottom line".

I also had issues with the game freezing when accessing the strategy guide, as well as when changing scenes from the hospital room to the lobby, and the lobby to the street.

I got my fill of this game just by playing the demo. Perhaps you will have a different experience. Please try before you buy.

edit: I forgot to add how off-putting it was to see lip movement long after the characters had finished speaking. I would prefer NO animated voiceovers as opposed to BAD animated voiceovers. Just my opinion...

Edited on 10/08/2015 at 2:34:57 PM PST

Go to: