bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Empire Builder - Ancient Egypt comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 15, 09 1:04 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

toast
Salmon
Salmon
2,618 Posts

Re:Empire Builder - Ancient Egypt comments and reviews

[Post New]by toast on Sep 15, 09 4:23 AM
No disrespect intended, but what are the reviewers doing if they aren't reviewing games?

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 15, 09 4:44 AM
They reviewed Once Upon a Time - hey that must have taken some time so give them a chance

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Sep 15, 09 6:48 AM
No review yet from me since I was too sleepy to play except a few minutes but I will say the graphics are very nice and there is an untimed option.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Sep 15, 09 8:31 AM
Overview: I will start off by saying that I really like this TM/Strategy game. You start off as an apprentice builder, constructing buildings, temples and monuments in Egypt. In the building category, you have houses, infrastructures, cities, and monuments to build. As with most TM building games, you also have tools to demolish, repair and clear demolished materials. You have both timed and relaxed mode. With the timed mode, you have 3-days to complete the level. As you earn money, you can purchase workers, materials, and amulets, which can add additional resources. Periodically throughout the level, you will get a "Bulletin" letting you know that you have received added resources. These are great! The tutorial is helpful. However, for those who play these games, you can probably skip this.
Graphics: I love the graphics and the moving workers and camels. Both the graphics and images seem to be true to the time period. Moving camels, Ankhs and the terms used, like "Haggle" rather than "negoiate" for the purchase of homes. Once you build a temple, the temples look like they're going to "jump" of the page. These too look true to the time period.
Bottom-Line: I will purchase this game. While it's similar to other games TM games (Plan it Green, Aquapolis), it stands well above them. If you've been waiting for another challenging TM/Building Game after playing "Be Richer" and BAL-4, I recommend this game.
--Sante001

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Sep 15, 09 12:06 PM
I am loving this game! You can play it in timed or untimed mode. I'm going to do untimed first run through so I can relax and enjoy the graphics, the game play. The graphics are beautiful. I only made it through the first two cities, probably should add there are three quests/levels per city/region, but this is a keeper for me. I'm loving all these TM building games. More, More, More! Sorry got a little over excited there...

I also love that when you get a new assignment or when you earn something it's in a little scroll that you open at your convenience. It isn't flashed or a take over of the screen where you're trying to work at. I love all the building games, but some of them make me frustrated when I'm in the later levels and clicking like a nut, then they want to take over a portion of my screen to tell me something silly. Like, Oh I like that new billiards room. Then you always have to click on them to get them to shut or they'll stay open for minutes. Minutes that are critical to you making it in time. Who cares, get out of here. I think this one will go right up to the top for me with Wonderburg. I love all the building games, but that has been my favorite so far, that I've played the most.

Edited on 09/15/2009 at 12:09:24 PM PST

margeryk
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by margeryk on Sep 15, 09 2:13 PM
OK, I just finished all the levels with three stars and I must say I am a bit disappointed. The game ended far too quickly, and the challenges seemed to get easier as it went along. I opted for the trial version before I actually bought the game and I was excited by the prospects. The graphics are very nice, and there is some new and interesting game play (like the mini games, but even they got boring). I also liked the historical context. But overall, I did not find it challenging in the least. I guess I will have to wait for BAL 5 or Be Richer-er...

mk

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 15, 09 2:34 PM
I do like this game and think it is a nice BAL game, has some new ideas and I do like the Egyptian theme.

I can play a lot of HOGs, a lot of TM games but as some stage the BAL type do get old for me. This game is a nice one and I will put it on my maybe list when need a BAL fix but there does seem to be such a big influx of them at the moment which is really making it hard for me personally to give this game a fair hearing. It also seems quite short - approximatley 30 levels by the looks of it which is another minus.

Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Sep 15, 09 3:44 PM
I've gone back to it a couple times now and what I've learned is that in spite of telling us that it will "save" the game, that's sort of ambiguous. It will save the game, but only to the level you are at. If you are in the middle of a level, it takes you back to the beginning and you have to start all the building over again. Would be nice if it saved *exactly* where you're at.

MichGal
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by MichGal on Sep 15, 09 5:01 PM
I played it for about 5 minutes. It's not a bad game, but it's the same ole game, just a different theme. Why don't they give us a city building game with land to build on, not just a one screen area. Also, I'd like to build where ever I want, not designated places.

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Sep 16, 09 12:29 AM
I was bored after about 10 minutes as it was same-old same old thing.

kkt4451
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by kkt4451 on Sep 16, 09 1:29 AM
I played this game in the beta for bfg and loved it but the beta only went to a few levels couldn't wait for it to come out. I love the game and it came at a perfect time. Seeing as I'm done with all the build-a-lots, monopoly, be rich, be richer.

dandunte
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by dandunte on Sep 17, 09 11:02 AM
I also found the game entertaining but it is far to short. I really was excited about the game but If I had known it was not a long game I probably would not have bought it, but it was fun.

[Post New]by porcelainrose on Sep 17, 09 4:50 PM
I am stubed in mission 16, where you have to get 200 happiness and 8 homes
with level 4 upgrades. How do get the 4th upgrade? Do I have to go back to another mission and builded it up. It tells me in can not go to level 4 in upgrade.
Can someone please help me?

[Post New]by mattfalcus on Sep 18, 09 2:57 AM
To get to level 4, build a Garden. Then click on the garden and then on the workers tab. Train a garden worker. You can now upgrade all houses to level 4

diannec21
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by diannec21 on Sep 19, 09 7:50 PM
Dear BigFlounder is there a walkthrough yet I am tring to raise my happiness level
in level 3 or 4 but can only get to 45 adding upgrade all buildings but that is not
doing it. I check the municiap buildings but by adding gravel pit, lunberyard or
workshop happiness goes down 10-20 points everything else is locked.
Help!
Sea Anemone

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 22, 09 1:24 PM
Its a so la la game. It gives much better games from this building genre like Build a lot, Be Rich, Wonderburg etc.

If you like this type of game, I recommend to you to try the trial time.
I haven`t purchased this game and give it only 2 1/2 stars (from 5 stars).

[Post New]by alexia0071 on Sep 24, 09 8:37 AM
diannec21 wrote:Dear BigFlounder is there a walkthrough yet I am tring to raise my happiness level
in level 3 or 4 but can only get to 45 adding upgrade all buildings but that is not
doing it. I check the municiap buildings but by adding gravel pit, lunberyard or
workshop happiness goes down 10-20 points everything else is locked.
Help!
Sea Anemone

i have the same problem

any help ????

Kadra
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by Kadra on Sep 29, 09 9:33 PM
well i have to admit i enjoyed it but having the match up minigame all the way through was tedious got a little bored didn't even bother going for the 3 star ratings on some levels. only bug issue i had was on level 23 when the game would exit as i approached the end of the level it did this 3 times so i just let the timer click over to the next day before i finished it seemed to resolve it.

i have to say that the technical help section saying that i had to update my video drivers i found hilarious as i play all of these games on a laptop and my drivers had a update only recently not to mention that its rare to actually get updates for video drivers for laptops as this is only the 2nd time in 3 years that i had to update.

I liked the historical aspects of the game so that was fun but the ending was disappointing.

reeny08
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by reeny08 on Oct 11, 09 10:15 PM
margeryk wrote:OK, I just finished all the levels with three stars and I must say I am a bit disappointed. The game ended far too quickly, and the challenges seemed to get easier as it went along. I opted for the trial version before I actually bought the game and I was excited by the prospects. The graphics are very nice, and there is some new and interesting game play (like the mini games, but even they got boring). I also liked the historical context. But overall, I did not find it challenging in the least. I guess I will have to wait for BAL 5 or Be Richer-er...

thats fantastic that u managed to do that. can u please tell me how to do mission 26 - memphis. i cant seem to pass this one. it 's driving me nuts

Go to: