bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Lost City of Z: Special Edition comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 17, 09 1:08 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!
Happy gaming !

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

Re:Lost City of Z: Special Edition comments and reviews

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Sep 17, 09 1:46 AM
This game has nice graphics and the hidden objects are pretty easy to locate. There are two ways to get hints....one that shows picture of object to find and other is a radar finder which seems to have a broad range. The storyline is pretty typical of the lost explorer scenario. The photographs of the different jungle inhabitants are just beautiful and are available as wallpaper. The photograph of the ocelot is breathtaking, I have it set as my background . On a scale of 1-10, I would rate this game a 6.

Edited on 09/17/2009 at 2:29:49 AM PST

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Sep 17, 09 2:58 AM
This is a National Geographic and as such is very natural and the items are so for what you would expect to fnd in the correct places that is a plus.

I have only played 45 minutes the one fault I did find is with the hint, there is plenty of them but even when they give that hint it is sometimes still very hard to find, then they give the message do not click for no reson. (There is a reason I think it is hidden where the hint is) but you do finally find it, and in the whole the items are easy to find.
I have just done two mini games, very easy. I also do not know how many chapters, I want to find out how long and if the mini games get any better before I buy. But if this game goes towards helping National Geographice I expect I will buy anyway, but so far I would give it 6/10 but the visuals are great and the story so far okay.

Had a lot worse but nothing like Drawn.

Cheers
lineck

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Sep 17, 09 3:03 AM
This is a game I want to like. It is disappointing for me. I found the Hint mechanism awkward and did not get the radar, it did not show me anything that I could tell. Scenes are dark and I found some objects difficult to find because i just could not see them clearly. I am not adjusting my monitor for games. If I did that, I could spend a lot of time doing it. I just do not purchase games that I find difficult to see.

I also did not get the History Channel games or the Discovery Channel game (I think there is one) for the same visual reasons - too dark, some objects too small, some objects unclear, poor Hint system. These are all games that I was willing to buy but the Demos disappointed me and I uninstalled.

Another annoyance is that (since I could not see some items and did not figure out the radar) you only need to click on the wrong object once to get a warning message about wrong clicks. Poor visuals for us with poor vision and we are not even allowed one wrong click!

EDIT: BTW, I did not get past the opening. I gave up in anger and frustration after trying to find some of the things needed for the expedition. I was so annoyed and frustrated with the game I did not push on the the next area. I spent more time with annoying tutorial info and error messages than I did in game play.

Edited on 09/17/2009 at 3:07:11 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 17, 09 3:12 AM
Eh. *shrug* Thoughts after 27 minutes of play:

Not a bad game. Not, imo so far, a good game. The graphics are all right, a *little* grainy on my widescreen. The hidden objects are for the most part either really easy to find or really hard. Refillable hints but, as mentioned above, the area shown by the hint sometimes doesn't help on the really tough ones. Mini-games, 2 so far, very easy. Story line so far a little boring. Scenes repeat and objects found earlier in those scenes are back, a pet peeve of mine. Bad hotspot on flashlight cursor makes clicking objects difficult. That *really* ticks me off when you have clicked several times trying to find the right spot and are reprimanded by the game for random clicking. Nice ambient sounds and I like taking the pictures of the animals and the triggered animations. Nothing really wrong, nothing terribly compelling.

Here's the thing - if I exit a game fter only 27 minutes of the demo because it's returned me to a screen I've already played and I just can't be bothered to play it again to move on? Not a good sign. Just felt no compulsion to continue at all. Still, I haven't deleted it. I'll hang on to it for some desperate night of a hidden object dry spell.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 17, 09 3:14 AM
bribling wrote:Another annoyance is that (since I could not see some items and did not figure out the radar) you only need to click on the wrong object once to get a warning message about wrong clicks. Poor visuals for us with poor vision and we are not even allowed one wrong click!

I think it's actually how quickly you click on the wrong thing after the last click. I clicked on plenty of wrong things but only got the error if I clicked quickly from one to the next. But I agree the message is quite annoying.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 17, 09 3:52 AM
Agree with what has been said so far.
An average hidden object game - and yes an awkward hint system.
I had a problem picking up one of the keys in the cave- no idea why but after I clicked on hint it let me pick it up.
The puzzles were very basic so that was disappointing.

The graphics had potential to be spectacular and though whilst not bad- they are ordinary on my PC.
I played the whole trial so was not bored but not intrigued in the story or enjoying the puzzles enough to buy the game to play further.

littletanpom
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by littletanpom on Sep 17, 09 5:16 AM
I too agree about clicking to try to find the "right spot". I didn't get very far into the game because of this issue. I initially liked the looks of the game and the National Geographic theme and would have probably bought it, but can't stand this trying to find the "right spot" to pick up objects.

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Sep 17, 09 5:32 AM
Hi,
I didn't like the "grabbing random things" message either. I seemed to get it every third click. Also very frustrating in the torch scenes where it didn't want to let me pick things up. Also agree with comments about the radar.
Game has potential but won't be buying it.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Sep 17, 09 5:47 AM
I REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS GAME IS BEING RELEASED ON BF & GH THE SAME DAY.GH IS KNOWN FOR RERUNS .OH WELL......HOG...LOVERS ...WE HAVE TO KEEP WAITING ....&.....WAITING.....THIS ONE ISNT IT...SORRY.......

[Post New]by EcclesCakes on Sep 17, 09 6:07 AM
Gosh, you folks are tough! I'm always on the lookout for games to play with my 9 year old grandson. We haven't tried this one yet, but I think, being an animal lover, he'll really enjoy this. The graphics are clear and the objects are appropriate to the settings. Ambient sounds are great, as are the soft background themes. I rather like the hint system, particularly since it shows a picture of an object and its positioning as a first step, and then a general area for a hint if you choose. Even the general area, which has been criticized, isn't a bad idea, since you still have to look a bit in the large circle indicated. My only hesitation on biting the bullet is length. If a walkthrough shows I'm less than 25% through in the first hour, than I'm in for the $6.99. So, based on the first hour, I'll give this 4 thumbs up..

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Sep 17, 09 6:20 AM
At the beginning where the Scarlet Macaws are. it wont let me click on them and pick them up, even tried the hint, anyone have that problem?

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 17, 09 6:23 AM
MissMoraduke wrote:At the beginning where the Scarlet Macaws are. it wont let me click on them and pick them up, even tried the hint, anyone have that problem?

Hi- you need to use the camera to take a phot- is that what you are doing?

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Sep 17, 09 7:39 AM
The game had good potential. But, I won't be purchasing this one. I find the "don't grab random things" message highly annoying ... mainly because I'm clicking on the right thing and it just won't pickup. If it was infrequent, I could ignore it ... much, much too frequent.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 17, 09 8:05 AM
I agree, that random notice is a pain in the ****. I won't be buying this game. I sure hope something good comes out soon cause I'm bored.

bobobear
Flounder
Flounder
2,315 Posts

[Post New]by bobobear on Sep 17, 09 8:46 AM
I tried the demo and I wont be buying this one because it's a little too easy for me. The graphics are beautiful and I can see how some people are going to like it but not for me. I always have a hard time putting down just about any game because the developers put so much hard work into these games. I know I couldn't make anything half as nice. But again, as I'm sure is tired of hearing, I've been spoiled by RTR and now Drawn. Some fishies will be happy with this game I can only say try the demo. you should know if it's for you after the hour.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Sep 17, 09 8:51 AM
As far as HOGs go, for me, this one falls in the average category. Like the other NG games, the scenes are a little dark. You have two options for hits -- roll your mouse over the item and an image appears or click the hit button and you will get a "radius" of the location. This was not usually on target. The objects are often "off the rader." There is no time for the scenes, so no big challenge there. For those waiting for an excellent HOG with challenge, this is probably not the one for us. The mini-games are fairly easy, and you can skip them. I give it and 1/2 out of 5 for seasoned players maybe 3-thumbs for younger plays/ newer players to HOGs. I will not be purchasing this game.

Edited on 09/17/2009 at 8:52:50 AM PST

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on Sep 17, 09 9:03 AM
I think I would have liked the game. I was looking forward to seeing the pics everyone was talking about.

But I couldn't get past the basecamp. The scarlet macaws. I spent 10 minutes trying to click on any and every part of them. Having 1 pixel that you must click on to select something is BAD.

I gave up and would not recommend this game at all.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Sep 17, 09 9:33 AM
EcclesCakes wrote:... I'm always on the lookout for games to play with my 9 year old grandson...

Get Zoo Mystery instead (I think that's the right name). It has lots of animals, is colorful, has some educational value, fun animations, etc. It also has a camera to take "photos" of the animals. I think it is a better game for kids.

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Sep 17, 09 10:13 AM
beckx020 wrote:I think I would have liked the game. I was looking forward to seeing the pics everyone was talking about.

But I couldn't get past the basecamp. The scarlet macaws. I spent 10 minutes trying to click on any and every part of them. Having 1 pixel that you must click on to select something is BAD.

I gave up and would not recommend this game at all.

You don't click on them. You take their picture with the camera.

Go to: