purplealikat
Herring
Herring
395 Posts

Re:MCF 2012... Picman's official clues and intrigue

[Post New]by purplealikat on Nov 20, 12 10:17 PM
Woot! MCF!!!! Finally! Whew! I thought MINE was bad! 2:30 to download, 20 min to validate and 10 minutes to install. Finally up and running at 3:00 am. Made it about 15 minutes and I was headed to bed! You get the prize!

sunfish09
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,595 Posts

[Post New]by sunfish09 on Nov 20, 12 10:41 PM
Finished the game. ......... Waiting when and where are we discussing the game???

ramps01
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by ramps01 on Nov 20, 12 11:39 PM
Yikes people are really getting their fins in a bunch.

shanette1706
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by shanette1706 on Nov 21, 12 1:35 AM
The comments for the game are really, er, diverse. (In the simplest word possible)

What did you guys think of it?

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 21, 12 1:36 AM
SabreQueen wrote:

*said in BESt Patrick McGoohan voice*

"Be Seeing You!"

And you! - as close to The Village salute as I can get

[Post New]by kittymaverick on Nov 21, 12 2:38 AM
Heading back here because the Shadow Lake forum is a little...landmine-y right now...kinda scary...and certainly diverse.

I finished the game playing the CE edition, Detective mode, only used help when I am really stuck and on the CE extra content, in about 6 hours-ish, while taking my sweet time (with dinner and all that XD)? Now, the first time I played the last game, EFR, even on Casual mode, I was getting stuck constantly, so I had to use a full walkthrough in the end. So either my sleuthing skills has just increased exponentially, or Shadow Lake is an easier game in terms of difficulty in general.

Except for the moving puzzles...Oh god the moving puzzles. Everything else I either liked, or didn't like but can forgive... but the psychic puzzles...NOPE! Sorry...The first two times I did it was okay, and then it just became "cannot get this physics engine to cooperate. Am now frustrated". The idea of having moving puzzles: awesome. Adding physics as an aspect: innovative. Execution in Shadow Lake? Fail to achieve optimal result... That was the only major beef I had with the game, and then only part that made me slightly disappointed. Not sure if it is easier on casual mode, but things I would have liked with the psychic puzzles...

(Some slight spoilers on game mechanics ahead, beware!)

1. Better way to orientate objects. If you have a block in the center spinning to make it challenging, but make the other pieces easier to change their orientation such as a simple click, or even a click and hold until it orientates to the angle you want.
2. More sensitivity to cursor from puzzle pieces. I spend five minutes just trying to drag a square into position because it was dragging itself along like a snail on the screen. I dread to know how the people with touchpads felt...

That's about all I can think of for the psychic puzzle engine to improve without making it too similar to just...any puzzle...

Not sure if I should leave a full review on the forums...I don't want to make people read a huge block of text from me like this again...XD

[Post New]by mcf_square_eyes on Nov 21, 12 2:51 AM
Shanette, Purpleali- yes my countdown is finally at last in full swing! These darling kids are being packed off to bed in an hour from now and then I can play!!!! Purplerabbit no worries on the tarp. Gotta protect that whaleshark skin of yours.

It's almost in a way like it's worked out for the best with my ridiculous d/l time. I would have never wanted to stop playing and would have been more zombie-like at work today than I already was with my crazy d/l alarms. As it was I was eyeballing the time on my monitor at work today like crazy.

Thankyou Purpleali for the but I wouldn't want to be selfish and win it again next year. I'm thinking of re-gifting it
Shanette Dexter was a fab distraction! One of my favorite seasons so far. Loving the whole Dexter & Hannah & Deb shocker and Laguerta sleuthing at the mo.

As Sunfish and others have asked- where do we catch up from here? I know previous years there has been mention of already established threads which I have tried to use but with little success as they weren't spec thread fish specific (lurkers or posters). Now I really should stop being on BFG before my selective eyesight fails and I do see something I didn't want to so here is a thought.....
Did anyone want to create a MCF 2012 Post-Spec Thread?????

I think it would be awesome to all catch up somewhere where we can comment on the game, catch up with friends and most importantly discuss how everyone's valiant efforts with clue solving and speculation/theories related to the game. Just a thought. I would start it but I really need to head topside and get into the game! Not long now

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 2:53:13 AM PST

Plotbunny
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,042 Posts

[Post New]by Plotbunny on Nov 21, 12 3:27 AM
bella_01 wrote:Hondo,

Did we save Picman?????

Did anyone answer Hondo's last clue???

Yes, is Picman okay? Was he vacationing at Shadow Lake?

I think Hondo's last clue was answered as the musical theme for Shaow Lake. I forget who answered that however ( sorry to that person )

momo2006
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by momo2006 on Nov 21, 12 3:52 AM
mcf~I think a post spec thread would be a fantastic idea! We could call it the "Tweam TripP chat". Anybody game?

Edited because I'm still half asleep.

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 3:56:15 AM PST

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Nov 21, 12 4:10 AM
momo2006 wrote:mcf~I think a post spec thread would be a fantastic idea! We could call it the "Tweam TripP chat". Anybody game?

Either that or do like last year and move this thread over to the game forum. I hope they don't lock it .

Rainbow722
Flounder
Flounder
2,404 Posts

[Post New]by Rainbow722 on Nov 21, 12 4:59 AM
dogmama wrote:
momo2006 wrote:mcf~I think a post spec thread would be a fantastic idea! We could call it the "Tweam TripP chat". Anybody game?

Either that or do like last year and move this thread over to the game forum. I hope they don't lock it .

It looks like they are keeping it open. In past years when they locked it, it was locked within a few minutes of the game release--so we can continue to chat about it here!

I'm almost finished with it. I thought the moving puzzles were a hoot! Laughed while I did them. As far as MOs (possible spoiler) I thought them fairly easy to find going back into the scenes to get them because you are already familiar with the scenes and most of them stuck out like a sore thumb for me.

ETA corrected the errors that jump in after I hit "post"

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 5:00:52 AM PST

momo2006
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by momo2006 on Nov 21, 12 5:41 AM
A little about my experience so far~

The d/l, install and validation took 27 minutes. The game plays flawlessly and fills the screen with no issues. I've played 6-7 hours total and I'm 63% through the game. Having a GREAT time and haven't had to skip a puzzle yet! (Although I'm currently stuck on the combination safe at the sherriff's office). I'm enjoying the moving puzzles, but they do play heck with my carpal tunnel. The game seems a bit formulaic (a la 13th Skull) but I don't mind much. Really NOT loving the strategy guide though. I was really thinking the Ghost Patrol would be playing more of a role in the game...haven't seen much of them so far. I am enjoying the interaction with the psychic though. I wasn't crazy about her portrayal when I played the beta but I'm liking her much better now. Really glad there turned out to be MO. I didn't think there would be since there were none in the beta.

One more thing...I could just kick myself for being too impatient to read about the bonus sale when I bought the game!

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Nov 21, 12 6:11 AM
Momo~ I'm also at 63% . Wonder if it's the same 63% as yours ?

I wonder if you could contact CS, tell them you missed the sale notification in your excitement and they would allow you to still take advantage of it? It's worth a try .

Could someone PLEASE tell me this: Can you actually finish the game but still go back and look for MOs after without starting all over? TIA!

[Post New]by GEORGIAGIRL_MEJ on Nov 21, 12 6:31 AM
dogmama - You can go back and look for the morphing objects after you finish without starting over. I'm glad they did it that way.

weissvonnix
Marlin
Marlin
8,067 Posts

[Post New]by weissvonnix on Nov 21, 12 7:46 AM
Ok, l started it, l finished it and unfortunately l need to say: lt´s just a game.
But it´s not a real MCF. And the first time l´m really quite disappointed.
lt lacks atmosphere, it lacks characters and it didn´t fascinate me for at least one minute. Will write a review later, but don´t expect me to spread the laurels. But l guess l will only post it in the forum, not on the review site. l´m not yet sure, if l really would recommend the CE.

Vultraz
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by Vultraz on Nov 21, 12 7:52 AM
Ok, I got the trial, and besides the black borders (curse them!) it looks exciting so far Played as far as you can in the trial, BTW. Now awaiting a patch for the bars and/or a new laptop before I buy it.

The only thing that really made me sad was the lack of a story casebook. Now it's just your link of tasks.

EDIT: or maybe that's just in Casual mode?

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 7:54:05 AM PST

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Nov 21, 12 8:16 AM
Vultraz~ There is indeed a case book ! It's on the left bottom side a little over the SG. It doesn't just list tasks it shows what you've gotten and keeps track just like always.

Sorry about the black bars . Did you try different resolutions? I've had to do that in the past to get some games to run full screen.

Vultraz
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by Vultraz on Nov 21, 12 8:44 AM
dogmama wrote:Vultraz~ There is indeed a case book ! It's on the left bottom side a little over the SG. It doesn't just list tasks it shows what you've gotten and keeps track just like always.

Sorry about the black bars . Did you try different resolutions? I've had to do that in the past to get some games to run full screen.

Yeah, I know, but what I meant is that it doesn't have the story entries like in past games, only tasks and objectives. Maybe the story entries are there in the harder difficulty?

And no, didn't try multiple resses. But you did say yours worked on 1600x900, which is what my monitor is, so I dunno.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 21, 12 8:56 AM
Vultraz wrote:But you did say yours worked on 1600x900, which is what my monitor is, so I dunno
Yours should work as well with HD ticked, Vultraz.

ETA Is that your monitor's maximum resolution?

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 8:57:39 AM PST

Vultraz
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by Vultraz on Nov 21, 12 10:00 AM
Mr_Russ wrote:
Vultraz wrote:But you did say yours worked on 1600x900, which is what my monitor is, so I dunno
Yours should work as well with HD ticked, Vultraz.

ETA Is that your monitor's maximum resolution?

HD was ticked, still black bars, and yes, that's the max res.

Go to: