bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

World of Zellians: Kingdom Builder comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 18, 09 1:06 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!
Happy gaming !

Re:World of Zellians: Kingdom Builder comments and reviews

[Post New]by ImJustSaying on Sep 18, 09 1:53 AM
I have played the entire hour of the trial then purchased. Once I tried to access after purchasing I get an Error and the program terminates. I see a fix needed for the game crashing...

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 18, 09 1:58 AM
Just a word of warning this is a large download ... I have been downloading for 55 minutes at 15 Mbps and I have only done 63% so anyone on dial up needs to set it downloading overnight.

I am really looking forward to playing this game unfortunately that won't be until tomorrow due to circumstances.

C

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 18, 09 2:08 AM
I like it!
Its a simple building game, no timer but I am finding it entertaining.

I got through the first two kingdoms in the demo and there is 9 total so still lots of play left.

It is a fun, no pressure game that gives you a list of goals to meet for each level and you can do so at your leisure. You unlock more buildings as you go along and face more challenges, such as fires - not sure what else is in store ... I bought it as I did not want to stop playing.

The graphics are nice and it is fun to see the citizens running around.
There is a freeplay mode that might also be worth playing when finished the story mode.

This is a great family game that everyone could play.

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Sep 18, 09 2:37 AM
Already purchased. It's a very enjoyable game. So far an adorable storyline. Great graphics. I haven't come across any time restrictions. The only complaint I have about it is that it gives these huge buildings to build and very little land. I had one heck of time getting both of the cow ranches built on one level, had to keep destroying and rebuilding till I could get them in there somehow because I made the mistake of building everything but them first. I'm having a great time with all these building games, love them all. They all have a high replay value. But, Wonderburg is still my favorite. I want Wonderburg 2.

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Sep 18, 09 3:31 AM
cherbtoo wrote:Just a word of warning this is a large download ... I have been downloading for 55 minutes at 15 Mbps and I have only done 63% so anyone on dial up needs to set it downloading overnight.

I am really looking forward to playing this game unfortunately that won't be until tomorrow due to circumstances.

C

At 181Mb, it's on the borderline as far as BFG's classification is concerned, but not to the extremes you've described.

I only have a 2Mb ADSL line, and it downloaded in no time.

Sorry, you're having problems, as I found it quite a cute and fun game (with a few annoyances, but I'll try and cover those in a proper review later).

DonnyDJ
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

[Post New]by DonnyDJ on Sep 18, 09 4:18 AM
Wonderful relaxing game that has a time management style to it but there is no timer....

I would give this game all 5 stars if there was a timer option. Otherwise an excellent game!!

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Sep 18, 09 4:31 AM
DonnyDJ wrote:Wonderful relaxing game that has a time management style to it but there is no timer....

I would give this game all 5 stars if there was a timer option. Otherwise an excellent game!!

On each land, there is a bonus level with timer - not exactly what you want, but....

[Post New]by aliciarose111 on Sep 18, 09 8:30 AM
I usually like games with timers too but the adorable graphics and quirky people are keeping me interested. Played the hour demo and also am buying it. Even if I finish it quickly, it'll keep my kids entertained for a long time after I've finished my game

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Sep 18, 09 9:40 AM
I agree with the previous comments. Words that come to mind about this game are -- cute, adorable, no pressure, and family friendly. I enjoyed playing the 60 minute demo. This is a good game to fill-in "no brainer time" in between the more challenging strategy building games. And yes, there are some big buildings to construct, this is where the real strategy of this game comes in. I have not decided to purchase yet, but I'm keeping it in "my games" for later. and 1/2 out of 5.

[Post New]by gamesgal_pt on Sep 18, 09 10:37 AM
I just love this game. I have played the demo and I couldn't resist purchasing the game as I just couldn't stop playing it. There are just so many beautiful levels later on. And the beauty of it is that it can be at the same time relaxing and challenging. I highly reccommend it!!! Can't wait to see what happens in the end with all the kings!

MichGal
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by MichGal on Sep 18, 09 4:19 PM
I bought it! I think it's a cute city building game. I've only played for a hour and still have a lot more to go. I'm glad this is a longer game. We've been getting too many short ones! I also like that there's a free play mode.

adolia
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by adolia on Sep 18, 09 4:37 PM
this is a wonderful building game. Much more than time management you are given free reign over placement, including roads. I have finished the game (took me about 7 hours) I can see this is a game i will play again and again! I am looking forward to checking out the sandbox mode.

Even though there is no timer there are events that will happen (fires, robberies, etc) that keep you on your toes!

I hope they have more games like this one planned, I do not like the ones where the lots are fixed and you are simply racing against time. I need full control over layout and design to be happy! I would love to be able to paint the buildings, etc as added bonus.

ilove2sew
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

Re:World of Zellians: Kingdom Builder Question

[Post New]by ilove2sew on Sep 18, 09 4:53 PM
adolia wrote: I am looking forward to checking out the sandbox mode.

I see this term "sandbox mode" quite often and even though I've been playing computer games since the Commodore 64 was an infant I don't know what this means.

Please will someone enlighten me?

And other than being more freestyle with no timer how does this rate in regards to "My Kingdom for a Princess" which is the best Time Management Game I've played in ages.

Thank you all in advance.

Off to look for toast to have with my new "jelly" fish status.

Ila in Maine

ilove2sew
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by ilove2sew on Sep 18, 09 4:56 PM
adolia wrote: I am looking forward to checking out the sandbox mode.

I see this term "sandbox mode" quite often and even though I've been playing computer games since the Commodore 64 was an infant I don't know what this means.

And other than being more freestyle with no timer how does this rate in regards to "My Kingdom for a Princess" which is the best Time Management Game I've played in ages.

Thank you all in advance.

Off to look for toast to have with my new "jelly" fish status.

Ila in Maine

bfavs
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by bfavs on Sep 18, 09 5:51 PM
wikipedia: In a game with a sandbox mode, a player may turn off or ignore game objectives, or have unlimited access to items.[11] This can open up possibilities that were not intended by the game designer. A sandbox mode is an option in otherwise goal-oriented games and should be distinguished from open-ended games with no objectives such as SimCity

I've played in a sandbox in a lot of RPGs-
I think the term may mean 'safe' in some other computer contexts

[Post New]by Mitzichen on Sep 19, 09 4:30 AM
Ich spiele es aber ich habe den Fehler. Was kann ich tun??

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 19, 09 4:47 AM
I realize I'm la6te to the reviewers party here (any left? ) but had to add that I, too, really enjoyed this game.

LOVED the No Timer (except for optional bonus levels, played one, failed 2nd, won't go further on those), great graphics, pleasant Tetris almost puzzle figuring out how to fit the buildings. Just realized I don't recall about music so if there was any it didn't bug me. For those very well versed in Builder games I could see how this one would be too easy, though later levels do crank up the challenge, but just right for me. For sure I got 8 hours play out of it, even with skipping timed levels, so excellent value. As much as I appreciate the Free Play Mode I don't think I'll go back to it, really. I'm so a "goal oriented" it's hard for me just to play in the sandbox.

I did have technical issues on one level, the one with building the West Palace Wing I see others mentioning, where things got really sluggish and I realized the game had let me build a building that was now red, indicating it shouldn't be there. Which was odd because the rest of the game you simply couldn't build in reserved areas, so maybe a little buggy there, but ran w/o issue otherwise. I restarted that level avoiding the area in question and had no problems.

So anyway, you bet this ones Poodlebear Approved! and earns:

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 19, 09 4:54 AM
ilove2sew wrote:

I have always understood "Sandbox" when referring to game to mean open ended play where you just... play! ...like in a sandbox when you were a kid, no specific task defined. In this case once you've unlocked buildings in the regular game you can then play in Free Mode and just enjoy building a city however you wish with no goal in mind. The game becomes a toy more than a game.

Oh, and I'd have to disagree with the Wikipedia entry above - I'd say ALL the SIm City games are definitely Sandbox games, and I believe I've heard their creator, Will Wright, refer to them as such. Good ol' Wiki...

Edited on 09/19/2009 at 5:01:44 AM PST

bfavs
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by bfavs on Sep 19, 09 8:10 AM
the difference may be between 'can you turn on sandbox mode' (maybe somtimes refered to
as 'god mode' ) and 'a sandbox game' which is open ended playing without making any change in the
original game behavior/goals

Go to: