Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Off The Record: The Final Interview Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 10, 15 12:48 AM
A thread for your reveiws.

Edited on 10/10/2015 at 7:51:59 PM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Off The Record: The Final Interview Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by 9otters on Oct 10, 15 4:58 AM
Can it be? Has Eipix finally given us a game with some "meat", that will require a bit of brain work? If the demo is any indication, the answer would be a resounding YES, this just MIGHT be a winner!

The mystery grabbed me. Puzzles and HOPs were FUN and required some thought. Even the teapot collectibles weren't given away with the cursor "hand". Well done, Devs!

Plenty of CE worthy content. Bonus game and strategy guide. Morphing objects in the HOPs. 13 HOPs and 20 puzzles to replay. 16 achievements...game and performance related, as well as the standard Eipix Souvenir Room.

Collectibles lovers will be pleased to be on the hunt for 43 EXTREMELY well hidden teapots, as well as 6 hats, and 17 letters. A teapot icon will let you know if you have found each one. Because it is Eipix, we can collect any teapots we miss in the extras.

Finding the 6 hats unlocks 3 bonus puzzles and 3 bonus HOPs from PREVIOUS Eipix games. If we don't find all of them, we cannot go back to get them. Only find two? Only two extra games can be played. No clue about what happens if we find all 17 letters. There is a forum thread suggesting what they spell. There is no opportunity to go back for any we miss.

Graphics were outstanding, with some fun special effects. Jump map shows active areas and the hint button transports. Inventory locks and there is no alternate game to play if you don't care to play the HOPs. The puzzles all have a reset button.

Because this is the final installment of the "Off The Record" series, there is a "Tribute" film to view, as well as the other standard CE content.

IMO, this is the BEST Eipix game to come out in absolute ages. I'd love to see this level of quality in ALL their efforts. I'll admit that I'm pretty excited to get into the game. With any luck, they will have lost the "cookie cutter", and it will be just as good AFTER the demo.

Thanks for the sale, BFG. Happy gaming!

edit: See COMPLETED game review below.

Edited on 10/11/2015 at 8:29:59 PM PST

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Off The Record: The Final Interview Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Oct 10, 15 9:13 AM
Since 9otters has said absolutely everything, all I will say is IMO this is one of EIPIX 5 star games which I am enjoying immensely. Would definitely recommend this game to all level of players. Great job EIPIX just keep them coming and I'll keep buying.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Oct 10, 15 3:29 PM
I going to have too rain on this great review parade. While the game is better than the usual fare that has been passed off recently, I just don't see the "greatness".

The graphics were a definite step up but the voice overs sounded contrived. The HOP/puzzles were also some better than average.

Now to the crux of the matter. The collectibles, hidden & morphing objects. Despite a tutorial (which was no help) at the beginning I never did find any hidden objects & didn't even know there were collectibles to be found. Information is definitely lacking so gamers have no clue what to watch out for. As usual I found some morphing objects by pure dumb luck.

I did like the storyline & will probably wait for the SE too see who makes it to the finish line!!!

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Oct 10, 15 3:29 PM
I going to have too rain on this great review parade. While the game is better than the usual fare that has been passed off recently, I just don't see the "greatness".

The graphics were a definite step up but the voice overs sounded contrived. The HOP/puzzles were also some better than average.

Now to the crux of the matter. The collectibles, hidden & morphing objects. Despite a tutorial (which was no help) at the beginning I never did find any hidden objects & didn't even know there were collectibles to be found. Information is definitely lacking so gamers have no clue what to watch out for. As usual I found some morphing objects by pure dumb luck.

I did like the storyline & will probably wait for the SE too see who makes it to the finish line!!!

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Oct 10, 15 7:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Off the Record: The Final Interview Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Off the Record: The Final Interview Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

[Post New]by NancySusan on Oct 11, 15 3:16 PM
After about 55 minutes of demo play, I'm really split as to whether or not I'll get this, and I'm loaded with game credits, so price is not a problem. The voice overs are absolutely horrendous: I've rarely heard worse English accents. Although this is set in Devonshire, and I'm no expert on the specific country accent there, we have a lot of Cockney accents and just plain awful, barely there accents. The town looks like a compilation of every architectural style in Europe and throughout English history, with buildings with numerous stories. We have cars ranging from the 1930's to possibly the 1970's or later. I still haven't figured out when this is set, given it starts in 1952 and jumps forward apparently to at least the early 1970's, but maybe that's made clearer in the rest of the demo. Our heroic investigator loves hot dogs, not generally an English food, and there are croissants on her breakfast tray. If the actual gameplay were worse than it actually is, I'd dump the whole thing, but in fact, I rather enjoyed it. I had no trouble collecting teapots (they're usually either hidden in or just behind something, peeking out). I found only one letter of the 17 there are supposed to be, and I was just beginning to find hats. I also had no trouble spotting morphing objects in the HOP's, which were interesting and varied. The story so far is modestly intriguing and the gameplay not terribly difficult. I also rather liked the music. But for me the downside really involves actors who've never heard an English accent they could do, and it's distracting. So I'm going to play the rest of the demo, and see if I like this game enough to get it. For those who aren't bothered by inauthenticity, this is probably a good game, but my, partner who never plays these games, heard the soundtrack of this one and just told me that those were the worst accents he'd ever heard.

Final thoughts after returning to the remaining demo after a few days: I actually shuddered at the last horrible English accent near the demo's end, and while I enjoyed collecting teapots and morphing objects (I forgot I was also supposed to look for letters and hats), the accents and the continuing alleged but not really English countryside and the fairly simple game play tipped me over to deciding not to get the game, even for free, and finding out that the game becomes even more simple as I progress, per other reviews, pretty much decided it, so I'm passing on this.

Edited on 10/18/2015 at 6:41:19 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Oct 11, 15 8:17 PM
Based On Completed Game

This will probably be my final attempt to give Eipix a chance to produce a game that, FOR ME, is worth playing. I thought, from the demo, that it would be interesting. I love a mystery. The game was puzzle heavy, which I prefer. The HOPs were varied and entertaining. The graphics were better than their normal. The bonus content seemed worth the CE price. A good sale tipped the scales to "buy".

They just never seem to maintain the better standard produced for the demo throughout the entire game. It never fails...midway through the game I find myself playing the default Eipix cookie cutter game. Any gameplay complexity in the beginning deteriorates into "take this here and put that there...open this with that". It ends up being boring and tedious. I find myself losing interest and not really caring about the outcome.

When things start getting boring, other things that I could possibly ignore become more annoying. For THIS game it was the less than authentic British accents. By the time I was hoping for the end, they had become totally laughable. As for the mystery, pretty early on it was clear who the culprit would be.

I was disappointed with all the "recycled" scenes in the bonus game. Also, the gameplay in the bonus was entirely of the "take and put" variety. The collectible teapots that were SO well hidden in the main game were suddenly larger and easier to find. The graphics were not as good or as complex as the main game. It was obvious from the beginning who that "bad" guy was too.

It isn't that this is a BAD game. It just isn't particularly GOOD. I have plenty of "average" games in my collection. I guess I've reached the point, after so many years, that I want BETTER. And, for me, Eipix is NOT producing "better". They seem satisfied with the same old thing.

What I will say about the final "Off The Record" is that the main game was visually lovely. There were some garden scenes where I would love to spend some time. The HOPs were also a plus. If you aren't rabid for collectibles, I would suggest buying the SE, because of my above comments about the bonus game. Also, I only used the strategy guide to find one of those pesky teapots.

I can see this game appealing to many...just not to me.

Edited on 10/11/2015 at 8:45:55 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 11, 15 8:33 PM
Hello friends. Well, we have #5 in this series...yes, I have the other 4. The graphics were a bit of a disappointment. No where near as clear as in previous games in this series, but still okay. Colors aren't bad. Game play was quite good, no problems during the demo. The demo was extremely short, so you really can't get a feel for the game. The one things I really did not care for was the "blurry, wiggly" lights when you went into your "memory" mode. That was a bit much on my eyes, so if you have problems with bright flashing lights, be very careful with this one. The voice overs aren't bad, but sounded like there was only maybe two people doing the dialog during the short demo. I do like a good accent. Music was okay, but uninspiring.

HOPs were a mixture of lists, fragmented pieces, and riddles. They also have morphing objects in 16 HOPs. These are not difficult to find. The HOPs were somewhat cluttered in most scenes, but the items were not difficult to find. Puzzles were extremely simple and took no thought or time to complete. Hopefully that changes as you get further into the game. Hint system is quite helpful and there is a transport feature. This is helpful, but there really isn't that much back tracking in this game. SG was the standard and really of no use during the demo.

Collectibles: the only thing I found are 43 "symbols" that are actually teapots. These are not easy to spot, as most are very well hidden and in some cases, you only see a very small piece of it. You also collect hats. It says for additional rewards, so who knows what that might be.

I beta tested this a few months ago, and was not kicked out about it at all. In fact, I only gave it a 3.5 even then. It was not a bad game, but not up to par with the others in this series. The devs seemed to have gotten a bit lazy with this one. This game was not challenging, except to try to see the teapots. I did see that the devs came up with some different and clever uses for various items in the game, and not just "find a knife" to open something. I'm pretty sure I know where this one is going, but for some unknown reason, I do find the need to keep playing to see if I'm right or not. I just wish those blurry bright lights weren't in the game. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to get this one now, or wait for the SE. I'll think on it a bit, but I will get one of them. I think this game will probably appeal to most players, especially those with exceptionally good eyesight.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 13, 15 6:33 PM
I found the game slow, boring and tedious. The graphics aren't great, and neither were the colours.

And as for the collectables: Never before did I NOT want to look for the collectables as I didn't want to look for them in THIS game. A bit of white peeking out from behind another white object, it being the teapot !? Never mind the letters, which you simply can't SEE.

I am not a fan of EIPIX, because very rarely do they bring out games that have beautiful graphics, and an interesting storyline.

And why do we get either an ugly large custom cursor, or the same, but so small, it so easily blends in with the background that I often couldn't see it properly. Just give us the system cursor instead.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Oct 13, 15 7:29 PM
I had the most fun with this game. I think it's the best BFG has put out and I've been a member for years. I liked the story line. The country feeling, the horses, graphics, mini games were all fabulous. Some mini- games were hard, but good for the old brain. There is a skip button and a fast hint button. Thank you, BFG and Eipix!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 14, 15 3:24 PM

Quality Control Goes Off the Record

The story is not bad, a little predictable and not always well told, especially regarding the race in question. What bothered me was the automobiles. We're in Devonshire England. Why does the police department have American cars? '70's Mercury's I think. Ridiculous. On the other hand, at the end of the game the police show up in the usual British police cars - so they must have replaced the fleet while you were solving the mystery. Oh, and in the Bonus Game, the Black Stallion suddenly changes to a chestnut one.

I played the game twice because I did not realize there were collectible letters until I was about 2/3rd's of the way through. Despite looking for them the second time, I only found about 8 of 17. I did manage to find all the teapots, though some took quite some time to locate. I like a challenge so that was not necessarily bad. But the letters? Who knows where they were. The SG does tell you though (thanks Valdy!).

This is just an OK game. Since I had higher hopes, I was a little let down. When the Final Interview doesn't go too well, you usually don't get the job.

Edited on 10/15/2015 at 2:44:26 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 14, 15 7:05 PM
steve_san... the SG does show you where to find the letters.

But for me it's no fun if I have to consult the SG for every new scene to see if there is a letter to be found or not.

[Post New]by okristyk on Oct 25, 15 12:35 AM
I was sad to finish this game. I love Eipix games and I really enjoyed this one. Not too many games are based around horses and the story line doesn't involve some dreary house and dark missing friend and ghosts or murderer. This game was interesting and kept me coming back. It ended all to soon. I had a hard time finding the teapots and didn't even know about looking for the hats. A bit heavy on the puzzle end and light on the HOP, but still loved it. Even the bonus game was fun. I rarely finish a bonus game because it becomes boring and repeats what I just did in the game itself. I am sad to hear this is the last of the Off The Record. BTW - I got a giggle out of the funnies put in the credits describing each department. Keep it up Eipix! Love it!!

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Oct 25, 15 2:51 PM
I liked both the game and bonus game. While not a completely unique storyline, it was a nice change of pace from the fairy tale/mystical storylines. Most of the scenes of the grounds surrounding the estate are quite lovely, and I found myself wishing I had access to an estate like that. Most of the puzzles are relatively easy, but I get impatient with ones that take a long time, and skipped the couple that were taking me a while. It may not be the best game from this Dev, or the best in the series. However, this game is not a bad way to end the series.

[Post New]by dancemom22 on Oct 29, 15 11:42 AM
I found all the collectibles and all of the hats and received no extra HOPs or games. I see the blank spaces for the extra HOPs, but they are not available. Not pleased with this outcome.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 12, 15 7:21 AM
Valdy wrote:I found the game slow, boring and tedious. The graphics aren't great, and neither were the colours.

And as for the collectables: Never before did I NOT want to look for the collectables as I didn't want to look for them in THIS game. A bit of white peeking out from behind another white object, it being the teapot !? Never mind the letters, which you simply can't SEE.

I am not a fan of EIPIX, because very rarely do they bring out games that have beautiful graphics, and an interesting storyline.

And why do we get either an ugly large custom cursor, or the same, but so small, it so easily blends in with the background that I often couldn't see it properly. Just give us the system cursor instead.

this review sums it up for me

Go to: