j62janet
Clownfish
Clownfish
638 Posts

Accents

[Post New]by j62janet on Oct 10, 15 2:53 AM
I've noticed in this game it's British accents, which is great because I live in Britain, but why do you have to do Cockney accents, or what comes across as a not everyone in Britain has a Cockney accent!!

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

Re:Accents

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Oct 10, 15 3:32 AM
I really did laugh - I'm from Devon(shire) but have lived in Derby (a completely different place), worked for a racehorse owner and owned an MG. That poor copper (who for some reason is wearing an army khaki tunic) appears to be doing an impersonation of DVD in Mary Poppins crossed with a bit of West Country.

I think the devs must have heard of Chatsworth House - the only link between Devonshire (Duke of) and Derby(shire), the county.

Yes I know, it's only a game, but in that case make something up - like the small village of Ambridge in Borsetshire ...

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 10, 15 4:56 AM
nelliegemini wrote:Yes I know, it's only a game, but in that case make something up - like the small village of Ambridge in Borsetshire ...

Hey... you making fun of my home county? Borsetshire is a beautiful county, right between Berks and Bucks. Can't get more posh than Borsetshire. LOL

It's funny about the accent, because whenever you tell peeps you live in the UK, they automatically assume it must be London. It seems to be the only city they can think of. The same probably applies to the East End accent.

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Oct 10, 15 5:31 AM
I've heard about very bad goings on in Borsetshire, It's not all Loxley Hall and Grey Gables! Plus some of the accents you hear there are as outrageous as these!

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Oct 10, 15 6:40 AM
nelliegemini wrote:I really did laugh - I'm from Devon(shire)...<snip>
That poor copper (who for some reason is wearing an army khaki tunic) appears to be doing an impersonation of DVD in Mary Poppins crossed with a bit of West Country. <snip>

Hillarious!
I too find the accents funny (the army tunic outfit just seemed wrong OTOH).

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Oct 10, 15 6:53 AM
Well, I've never been to the UK but even here in the US when they try to make movies with Texas accents everybody comes out sounding like the come from the back woods in Georgia. Not that there is anything wrong with the back woods of Georgia people, I certainly don't want to offend anyone but my God where are the researchers? And knowing that everyone working at Eipix is from Croatia or any of the other similar countries God help them if they are using the movie industry for research regardless if it UK or US.

I'm just d/l now and didn't beta or demo the game so I'm sure I'll have a good laugh at the points all you have pointed out.

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Oct 10, 15 3:30 PM
Yes, it's like setting a game in the vast forests of Chicago where everyone speaks with a Bronx accent, all the police wear white uniforms and all the cars are 1912 Rolls-Royces.

Last time I checked we didn't have fire hydrants and we didn't drive 1950's cars in 'Derby' unless it was for a show. It's odd because if there were historical inaccuracies in a film or book we'd be all over it, but somehow 'it's only a game'.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Oct 10, 15 7:31 PM
If we are going to talk of mangling accents, I have noticed that they seem to delight in giving most Americans southern accents.....that are never done well.

Still, the budget for a film is, I suspect, higher than for a game.....
and even then, I tend to shrug off mistakes because it is not history or something serious.....
and I hope NO ONE, would really try and ever follow game logic....like say, filling lanterns with fireflies to see by.....or using hourglasses in the 21st century.

and thank heaven we don't have to use complicated keys like the ones in the games, or we would all be overloaded with heavy pockets and carrying messenger bags overflowing with tools we just happened to find.

Personally, I think they have a series of dartboards in the games development area and they throw darts at random to settle location, accent, future, past, steam punk or fairytale........

but, I am OK with that as well.

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Oct 11, 15 7:15 AM
Valdy wrote:
nelliegemini wrote:Yes I know, it's only a game, but in that case make something up - like the small village of Ambridge in Borsetshire ...

Hey... you making fun of my home county? Borsetshire is a beautiful county, right between Berks and Bucks. Can't get more posh than Borsetshire. LOL

It's funny about the accent, because whenever you tell peeps you live in the UK, they automatically assume it must be London. It seems to be the only city they can think of. The same probably applies to the East End accent.

Hi, Valdy -- I know just what you mean. I live in New York, and when I say that everyone assumes New York City, even though the county where I live is 75 miles north of NYC with a huge population of 100,000 (not counting horses and cows). The only people here who speak with a Brooklyn accent are on the TV when the shows are set in NYC.

DK

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Oct 11, 15 8:54 PM
toocat said,

If we are going to talk of mangling accents, I have noticed that they seem to delight in giving most Americans southern accents.....that are never done well.

I noticed that too. Especially when the person portrayed is represented as being, perhaps, not the "sharpest tool in the shed".

As for THIS game...the longer it went on, the more ridiculous they sounded.

Edited on 10/11/2015 at 8:56:46 PM PST

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Oct 12, 15 2:24 AM
My father in law grew up in Brooklyn. Up until I met him, I always thought that the films and tv shows where they said 'urster' for oyster and put 'erl' in the car instead of oil, and 'burled' water instead of boiled.....was a joke, until I heard the man speak for the first time.

Still, I haven't come across a game with that accent used yet

But, the world is a wide and interesting place and I am sure somewhere there are people who do say 'tomahto' instead of 'tomayto' just like the hobbits in LOTR did.... when describing a meal of bacon, sausages and some nice red fruits of the vine that are related to the nightshade family.

lol.

j62janet
Clownfish
Clownfish
638 Posts

[Post New]by j62janet on Oct 13, 15 5:50 AM
Hello nelliegemini

I used to live in Devon, in Plymouth actually, now though I live in Cornwall, and when people I speak to say to me did I used to live in Plymouth, they say I've a Plymouthian
accent, I didn't kn ow I had an accent.

Thanks for all the replies, it makes a change to have a thread on something nice for a change, and not for problems, I wish BFG would do a general discussion forum, some where for us to chat

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Nov 8, 15 1:17 AM
Hello Janet - I've just come back here to check after the SE came out. I'm from Plymouth originally - most of my accent has worn away in moving around the country. I always thought the Bristollian accent was obvious - of course us Plymouthians just spoke proper!

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Nov 20, 15 10:14 AM
The accents do sound a bit phony. Time for a cuppa.

Go to: