bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Age Of Oracles: Tara`s Journey comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 24, 09 1:37 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

Edited on 09/24/2009 at 1:44:02 AM PST

goldenmish
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

Re:Age Of Oracles: Tara`s Journey comments and reviews

[Post New]by goldenmish on Sep 24, 09 1:47 AM
Nah... sorry... but Nah... uninstalled after approx 10 minutes. Graphically, too messy.

Edited on 09/24/2009 at 1:52:28 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 24, 09 2:24 AM
This game is average.
The graphics are a little fuzzy but not that bad it spoils the game.

The junkpile hidden object screens are fairly easy and so far the puzzles also very simple such as matching pairs and jigsaws.
The screens where you have to place an object back in place are not for me- a bit too simplisitc there.

The story itself isn't captivating but serves the purpose to move the game along.

There is an interactive element which adds some interest from the repetitiveness of the rest of the game.

It appears to be quite lengthy from the walkthrough,
Quck rechargeable hints.

and a half

froggiefly
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by froggiefly on Sep 24, 09 3:00 AM
I guess I like it because I totally lost track of time and went through the demo time!! HAHAHA
Finding out it has 22 chapters was amazing to me!! I have to wait for the developers to fix another game and I don't particularly like the repetitive match 3 so I was Hungry for a good **** and HERE it is!!! I Love everything about it!!
ALL thumbs up!! Definitely a keeper!!

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Sep 24, 09 3:21 AM
I have to go to work so I only played for 10 minutes but I will certainly finish the demo! And I'm glad to hear it might be a long game. The first post was so negative I thought I should follow it with a more positive one.

Warning to those who do not like the occult - the cards look like Tarot cards to me although they are not referenced that way.

No too difficult so far - I have hopes it will get better. I like the talking peacock! I thought replacing the color objects in a b&w white room was different and interesting.

Graphics are a little fuzzy, but not enough to fret about.

What I really did not like was the constant pop-up giving direction or offering a hint. Every time one popped up I would have to drop what I was holding to close it sown and continue. But if that is the worst thing I can come up with I can live with it - I expect the pop ups will lessen with time.

This is the first game since Drawn I have even considered buying.

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Sep 24, 09 3:25 AM
I liked it. Sometimes I get really tired of complicated frustrating games. So this was nice for a change. I would buy it if I hadn't already bought 4 games this month of which 3 were a disappointment. Will I ever learn?

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Sep 24, 09 3:28 AM
Played the demo and bought mainly because I have been hanging out for a new game, silly as I do a too many that I should finish or play again. It is a hidden object with no adventure as such and no hard puzzles. the plus is the hints are quick. but you do not realy need them.

I enjoy the graphics and it is good to get away into fantasy that is bright and pleasant, am enjoying but would not rave about it, just a change,

or 5/10

cheers
ineck

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Sep 24, 09 3:50 AM
I like the game too . II bought it. I like games that not only I will enjoy, but also friends who play games on my computer, but not ones that are too hard, will play. It's nice to play games that are relaxing The graphics may not be up to the graphics on games like RTR and Mortimer Beckett 2, but they are still nice to me. It makes the room look more "natural" Not all games are going to have their high quality of graphics. It looks to be a long game, so at least I will get my moneys worth huh? lol

I hope everyone has a nice Thursday.

(out of 5)

Edited on 09/24/2009 at 3:53:57 AM PST

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Sep 24, 09 4:17 AM
JessF wrote:I have to go to work so I only played for 10 minutes but I will certainly finish the demo! And I'm glad to hear it might be a long game. The first post was so negative I thought I should follow it with a more positive one.

Warning to those who do not like the occult - the cards look like Tarot cards to me although they are not referenced that way.

No too difficult so far - I have hopes it will get better. I like the talking peacock! I thought replacing the color objects in a b&w white room was different and interesting.

Graphics are a little fuzzy, but not enough to fret about.

What I really did not like was the constant pop-up giving direction or offering a hint. Every time one popped up I would have to drop what I was holding to close it sown and continue. But if that is the worst thing I can come up with I can live with it - I expect the pop ups will lessen with time.

This is the first game since Drawn I have even considered buying.

Hi Jess
The reminders for the hints do stop after a short while. That irritated me too and am glad they stopped. I like to find the items myself unless I just can't find an item. There was another game that had the reminders but they never stopped, so I didn't buy the game.

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Sep 24, 09 4:34 AM
just about to start chapter 6 with 10 mins left of the trial,but i did skip all of the dialogue, i really like this game so i off to buy x x

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 24, 09 5:20 AM
Now that the review thread is up I'll repost with an updated version since I've just finished the game.

You know I can tell I'm enjoying a game when I don't want to pause play enough to come buy it, which I did 30 minutes in. Lovely graphics, suuuuper pleasing voice acting (granted I'm an unabashed Anglophile ), pleasant music and great gameplay encompassing both standard listed hidden object and return items to a scene. Add to that some classic mini-games (so far concentration and jigsaw) and some neat little adventure inventory puzzlers and I'm there, fishies!

Granted, it's a junk pile style, which I'm iffy on, but this ones not toooo bad, at least the objects look as if they are in the scene, not just pasted on like so many junk piles. There *is* a lot of repetition - you return to the items from a list hidden object scenes many times, and play jigsaw and concentration many times, but because of the balance with the other tasks this never seemed tedious to me. Mini-games are not skippable. Hints are unlimited, very quickly refilled and no penalty for mis-clicks.

The adventure inventory puzzle bits are not terribly complicated, but they do tickle the brain a little and are very pleasing to work out in my opinion. In fact nothing in this game is particularly challenging but it all boils down to several hours of gorgeous graphics, cool story stuff, fun puzzles, wonderful music, great voice acting (some of the best I've heard) and it's definitely Poodlebear Approved!

P.S. All you folks who freak out over tarot and pentagrams, this is not for you. Which means I love it!

Pinky559
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Pinky559 on Sep 24, 09 5:50 AM
hi all fishies. sorry about the above message. i was trying to see if i could get a smiley face and was glad to see it showed. tara game is a good one and will be buying it. thanks to all for your comments. I always look to the forum before I buy a bfg. have a great day everyone. what happened? I just tried to end with a smiley face and it didnt take. what am i doing wrong?

Edited on 09/24/2009 at 6:00:36 AM PST

Pinky559
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Pinky559 on Sep 24, 09 6:04 AM
hi again. i need to go back to bed. i just read my post and see that the smiley face and the thumb up came. lol. i need more sleep..zzzzzzz

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Sep 24, 09 7:41 AM
Kind of a cute game.

Probably would have purchased it but the hidden object scenes are just piles of stuff. Nothing is really hidden --there is just so much stuff that you can't find anything. Something like a teenager's bedroom. I found that irritating. Some people might not mind that.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Sep 24, 09 7:54 AM
I played the full 60 minute demo, got to level 10 and just when the time was up, I was getting bored with the game. My review is somewhat mixed. I liked the game, but I was also bored after 60 minutes. Items are easy too find and the mini-games are not challenging. They are very easy versions of more difficult games like matching, puzzles and putting pieces together. There is interactive tasks between each chapter. These iare also nteresting, but also easy. True, the graphics are good and the game seems to have some replay value 22 chapters and items will be different if you play under another name. Hints are generous and plentiful. There is no timing to the game. I might be letting some of my bias come through since I like HOGs that provide the challenge of beating the clock and making you earn hints to use them wisely. With this game, you can use all the hints you want. I give it and 1/2 out of 5. Not sure that I will use a credit, but might go with a deal purchase if it appears later.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Sep 24, 09 8:03 AM
Its a great HOG, for a rainy day or a day that you want a simple game to play.

"REST THE MIND DAY!"

THANKS, for the approval Poodle & other fishies
I too, always ck here 1st

PEN

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Sep 24, 09 8:36 AM
General: Untimed. The story has occult tones so those who object to that may want to take a pass. There are 3 levels to every chapter: an intro where the characters talk which then goes black & white and you have to replace objects, then several HOG scenes, and finally an inventory puzzle. Chapters are seperated by mini-games.
Graphics/Sound: Graphics are not as sharp as other games, but they are still good. Music is just enough to know it's there but not terribly obnoxious.
HOG scenes: The usual junk pile. A little on the easy side but good for a "relaxing" foray into a game.
Inventory puzzles: Easy..no need to strain the brain on these. Sparkly areas guide you.
Mini-games: The usual mix of jigsaw and flip the card types. Nothing earth shattering.
Hint System: Unlimited, although they need time to recharge (but they recharge quickly). Pinpoints exact location of item.
Length: I've read there are 22 chapters so it can make this a fairly lengthy game...I say fairly b/c the actual gameplay is on the easy side.
Overall Impression: I give it . This game is going on my must buy list. It is a nice relaxing HOG, great for those days when you don't want to strain the brain too much but just want to while away some time with a game. I was slightly disappointed there were no extras (like a blitz mode) and that it was untimed, since I am one of those people who like to beat my best scores on replay. But I can live with that since it is such a nice game otherwise.

ples244
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by ples244 on Sep 24, 09 8:36 AM
I liked this game, also. It's nice to have a game that is not too difficult, Sometimes after a days work, you don't want to hunt for objects that are hidden in the dark or have to travel back and forth between rooms or spend a half an hour solving a mini game. I think this is definitely a thumbs up game.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 24, 09 8:54 AM
I'm not into all the hidden objects in this game. Plus you almost have to have super human eyes to find half the stuff. I was hoping it would be more like Azada games or something like that, more story and less hidden objects. I guess I'll have to just sit and wait for a game I like.

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Sep 24, 09 8:57 AM
cute game, best suited to youngsters and novice HOGgers. Interesting story line. I usually skip the intros but listened to these as they do advance the story and Tara's quest. I doubt I'll buy this one as I have a feeling it will get old quickly. I figure the replay value will be ok for those who do buy it. I hope for their sake that the puzzles to end each chapter get more challenging because the initial 6 that I did were a snap.
Graphically I feel this HOG very creatively produced. It gets a solid B grade from Poppa but it takes an A grade for me to spend $$$

Go to: