Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

Need recommendation from the pond

[Post New]by Corie60 on Sep 24, 09 9:13 AM
OK, I have one game credit available and am in a quandry as to which game would be better for me to get. Age of Oracles or Slingo, Who's Gold. I have never played Slingo and will try both of the samples for these games, but what do you all think

I want some good game play with not to much brain power being used because I am a bit under the weather. I am just finishing Lost City of Z and enjoyed it very much, like Mustery P.I. games as well as Isabella and Enlightenus. Sooo, pretty much a hog freak, but want something fun and both of these seem to promise the same thing. Any help greatly appreciated.

And thanks to these games I am well into my third month of not smoking . Guess I should do something more productive than playing games....naaah, silly idea

Corie

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

Re:Need recommendation from the pond

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Sep 24, 09 9:32 AM
Have you tried Escape Rosecliff Island...it's along the same lines as the mystery PI ones. I liked Age of Oracles btw and would recommend it (but I have not tried Slingo)

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Sep 24, 09 9:34 AM
Have not played either one.I am downloading Age of Oracles.Will let you now.

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Sep 24, 09 9:43 AM
sillyfeet wrote:Have you tried Escape Rosecliff Island...it's along the same lines as the mystery PI ones. I liked Age of Oracles btw and would recommend it (but I have not tried Slingo)

Yup, sillyfeet, did Rosecliff and loved it as well. Any decent hogs at least 2 weeks old I have played. I think this makes me a fanatic . But then I always told my sister that when we turn 60 we can do what we want. When you are young they call you crazy, when you are "more mature" you are eccentric. I LOVE being eccentric hehehe

Corie

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Sep 24, 09 10:56 AM
i brought this game just before the demo stopped and changed my profile name to start again and some of the items are different in the h/o scenes so it does have replayable value x x x x

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Sep 24, 09 11:01 AM
I haven't played Orales yet, but did buy and play Slingo Mystery. I really enjoyed the Slingo Mystery. Played through 2x and it really isn't different as far as items to find/things to do. Still very enjoyable, imo.

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Sep 24, 09 11:11 AM
Just trialed Age Of Oracles and was disappointed when It ended; said ahhh out loud. It is on my have to buy list. I enjoyed it very much nice scenes, sound not to bad, skippable dialogue. I have not tried Slingo.

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Sep 24, 09 11:22 AM
I have played about an hour of each game.

I would choose Slingo Mystery because it is something a bit different for a HOG and is a lot of fun.

Edited on 09/24/2009 at 11:23:12 AM PST

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Sep 24, 09 1:56 PM
Well...I have played about 40 minu tes of Slingo and climbed through the vent to the storage type room and turned off the alarm. This game seems very interesting and different. Slingo seems to be a pretty simple game. I kind of like the game play. I am going to try the same length of time on Age of Oracles and see how I feel about that one.

One other question , is Slingo a relatively long game? It seems that folks are saying Oracles is pretty long and that would make a difference as well. I know, I know, I'm a real pain in the *** , or "eccentric"

You know I really do love all of you guys here at the pond . You have always been so willing to help. Thanks again, and I truly mean that

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 24, 09 6:44 PM
Corie, Slingo is a pretty long game too, longer than average, I would say.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 24, 09 6:52 PM
How important are graphics to you? Age of Oracles is gorgeous. Slingo Mystery is... not remotely gorgeous. Also the objects in Slingo are occasinally difficult to find as they are grainy and small. Oracle is much easier on the eyes, both in prettiness and strain-wise. Given your love of the hidden object part of HOGs I'd recommend this over Slingo, but I bought 'em both and enjoyed them both. Prefered Oracle.

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Sep 24, 09 7:39 PM
I just finished 40 minutes or so of Oracle and really enjoyed the visuals in that game. It seemed more calming to me. Thanks for the recommendations Poodlebear and Howatch. Always appreciate your input. Buying Oracle...and then maaaayyyybe will get Slingo as well . I'll see if anything else is out there after I finish Oracle. It's a very nice game and I didn't feel like I was running like I did in Slingo. Probably the bright colors jazzed me up!!!

Corie

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 24, 09 7:54 PM
Yeah, Corie, when you mentioned you were under the weather I thought Oracle would be much better. Lovely calming music, slower feeling game play, soooothing pretty graphics. Slingo has a much more tense vibe for sure, tho *technically* no actual timed elements, still sort of feels like it when characters keep saying, "I must hurry!".

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Sep 25, 09 9:59 AM
Thanks again Poodlebear. You are right on the money with your recommendation. I'm still fighting a cold today and still enjoying the soothing nature of this game. I couldn't put my finger on why the other game made me feel rushed, but you nailed it lol.
One more day in bed and then this bug better be gone cause I can't tolerate another day of doing nothing.

Corie

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 25, 09 3:18 PM
Poodlebear offered very good advice, Corie--and I hope you feel better soon.

Burgy
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by Burgy on Sep 27, 09 7:18 AM
Like you, I am also a fanatical HOG/Puzzle/Mystery fan, but sometimes need a change of pace.
Recently I've been playing "Ancient Quest of Saqqarah". For some reason I love this silly game.
Give the demo a try and see what you think about it.
Oh....don't give up too soon. Each temple plays differently.
Now doesn't that peak your curiosity??????
Have fun..

TeachumWell
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by TeachumWell on Oct 23, 09 9:34 PM
Hi! By now I guess you've made a game choice, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. Go Slingo if you like "real-world" mysteries with a tv feel. The mystery element is good, re: I couldn't figure it out without playing through the game, & the end was cool, inviting a sequal (hear that, BigFish?),. Oracle is fun, but no discernable storyline & rooms repeat albeit with different stuff to find. Slingo game itself is fun (for awhile at least) & dialogue is worth reading. Margrave Manor 2 is also gritty but very good, worth a look. Hope this all is helpful. I'm at the eccentric age, too, & my friends who gawk at my gaming just haven;'t tried it! Better on-screen dillemmas than my own anytime. Happy gaming & feel better soon!

Kegggie
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by Kegggie on Oct 30, 09 3:56 PM
I'm wondering about buying Oracles too but wondered if anyone knows how many chapters there are as I've already got to Chapter 4 using the trial versoin. (Apologies if this question has already been answered elsewhere but I'm new to HOGs forums).

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on May 7, 10 1:23 PM
If you're looking for a really nice game, gorgeous graphics and not too demanding but with just enough challenge to keep you interested, then this is the game to try. I needed a change of pace from the super challenging ones and this one does the trick. It is a game anyone can play and I think it would be a good one to play with older children. Very enjoyable game and I'm loving it.

[Post New]by Karolea on Dec 14, 10 7:12 PM
Age of Oracles is awesome...always changing, extremely easy, then you think you got down pact and it gets really hard. Love it. Great graphics and game.

Go to: