bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

10 Days To Save the World: The Adventures of Diana comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 28, 09 2:10 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of 10 Days to Save the World: The Adventures of Diana Salinger. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Pack your bags and prepare yourself for a mysterious journey through ruins that are scattered around the world in this Hidden Object and Adventure game! With beautiful watercolor paintings to enjoy along with the story that is unfolding, this game gives a lovely aesthetic to accompany the adventure. You’re also given the ability to skip puzzles or have hints shared when needed, so this game is definitely a nice stress reliever to play in your spare time. As a warning to players, anyone with a phobia of creepy crawly bugs should be aware that there are two scenes with small bugs scattered around the scene. If that doesn’t faze you though, this is a very fun game that gives the player the ability to find objects and then use them to uncover other artifacts. The storyline is in-depth and offers the player a cohesive escape with hidden objects that actually correlate with the scenes around them. All of the objects are also in plain sight, so you won’t need to squint or peer into dark corners to find them. Rekindle the archeologist within and have a wondrous escapade in 10 Days to Save the World!

Game Modes:
You are only able to play this game in standard un-timed mode and you have the ability to change from full screen, wide screen and windowed mode for customized game play.

Depth:
With seven different locations to explore, each with multiple objects to locate and mini-games, you’ll have hours of puzzling fun!

Similar to:
This game is quite similar to Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine and has similar, but easier, game play to Strange Cases: The Tarot Card Mystery and Princess Isabella: A Witch’s Curse.

Difficulty level:
Although some steps within the game may cause a pause, this is an easier game that is suitable for a player with any level of experience.

Reviewed by L.D.

Edited on 09/28/2009 at 8:48:45 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:10 Days To Save the World: The Adventures of Diana comments and reviews

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 28, 09 2:55 AM
From other topic:

Poodlebear wrote:No review topic up so will add my *very* abbreviated one here (in a world of all kinds of hurt tonite and not up to it) so those annoyed by my editorial style should be happy.

TONS more to this than 10 Days Under the Sea. Like it enough to be buying after 35 minutes. Inventory/adventure/hidden object hybrid. Lots of mini-games worked into adventury bits, nothing new in those yet but early days. Extremely amateurish water color illustrated style on cut-scenes that is both charming and sometimes terrible. They can be skipped or sped up by clicking >> in lower right corner. Slow refillable hints, no timer, no penalty for mis-clicks. Music varies from nice to horrible as it changes with each area. So far no timed elements. Good game, gonna go play.

Poodlebear wrote:SHORT WARNING! I finished in just shy of 2 hours. I did use hints, tho hints are slow to refill, so not many. I did not skip any minis and I read all cut scenes.

Some serious translation booboos add to the negatives. Pieces of a stained glass window you must find are called "grits"???

Still a good game, great gameplay actually, but needed additional polish and *very* short.

Edited on 09/28/2009 at 2:56:31 AM PST

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Sep 28, 09 3:23 AM
Grits? That's a good one - LOL!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 28, 09 3:41 AM
bribling wrote:Grits? That's a good one - LOL!

Indeed! ...and it's a "find 16 grits" with no other clue. I'm looking at the screen going, "Grits!? WTH are grits!?" seeing no bowl of porridgey stuff... ...but I saw something that stood out and clicked and realized what was needed.

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Sep 28, 09 5:48 AM

Poodlebear wrote:No review topic up so will add my *very* abbreviated one here (in a world of all kinds of hurt tonite and not up to it)

Thank you for writing one,,,,,,,,,this is the first place I go and the name I look for,
Before even trying the game,
Hope you feel well soon and keep on writing in your usual style,

willhenry
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by willhenry on Sep 28, 09 6:01 AM
Thank you Poodlebear......I always look for your review.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Sep 28, 09 6:38 AM
I like it! I like the music. Did not get annoying after playing 30 minutes. Goes well with the story. Love the drawings. Beautiful colours. Here you have it all: looking for hidden items; collecting inventory objects for later use, looking for part of statues (etc) to put things together and I really like the hint system. It's rechargeable but not too fast so it gives the player some time to figure things out on their own rather than jump to the hint right away. I am definitely buying this one. Thank you BF.

[Post New]by IslandDaisy on Sep 28, 09 8:33 AM
Grits I can handle... it was the receipt (recipe) which threw me.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Sep 28, 09 8:37 AM
IslandDaisy wrote:Grits I can handle... it was the receipt (recipe) which threw me.

LOL! At least "receipt" is a legitimate term for recipe. That is what our grt-grannies called them. I have never heard of stained glass being call "grits" though

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Sep 28, 09 9:07 AM
There is "some" logic in "grits". If sand can be called "grit" or "grits" and the makeup of glass includes sand...voila! we have grits LOL

Corie

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Sep 28, 09 9:10 AM
I heard them called GRATES not GRITS.....

I agree i was looking for food, we eat them for Breakfast! Made from corn.

I wonder what dictionary they ( game makers ) use?

PEN

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Sep 28, 09 9:25 AM
All about "Grits." I just had to look it up. Believe it or not, the first definition in the American Heritage College Dictionary has "grit" as "a coarse hard sandstone used in grindstones and millstones." on the other hand "grits" means something else

Now my little two cents on the game. I like it! However, I do believe that it will be a short game. I played 60 minutes and made it to the middle of the 5th day. As Poodlebear indicated, she finished in under 2 hours. I thing most players will be able to do the same.

Graphics, so-so. Music, not so. Mini-games while not difficult are enjoyable. The thing I really like about this game is the interaction. I'm glad to see more HOGs coming out with this feature. I give it and 1/2 out of 5. Graphics are not the best, thus, making items difficult to find.

It certainly is worth playing the demo. Probably will not purchase just because I would like to have more play time in a game.

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Sep 28, 09 11:47 AM
I would just like to add today, since I was falling asleep playing the game last night. I was worn out.

I have the first one. The graphics were a little nicer to me in the first one (the drawn part) It may be because I played on 2 different resolutions for my screen setting from the two.

I will say this, this is the first time I have tried a 2nd in a series and it has improved in gameplay 200% and without straying too far from the original story. Everything worked together. You actually needed the objects it called for, for the story. You didn't search for a flying saucer to go on an expedition. You searched for food and tools that you'd actually use on an expedition. I looked at the walkthrough and it seems I'm about half way through in my hour. Still a definate buy for me. I don't even mind the occasional blip in the translations because I at least could still tell what it was they were looking for. Loved the matress one that made me chuckle. The mini games are little different. Ex: You don't have to use every pipe in the pipe game. Jigsaw puzzles are in the shape and odd shape cuts of the images, etc. The only thing I think I could find to complain about this game is the length, but if it wasn't such a great game that I wanted to continue I wouldn't be complaining about it.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Sep 28, 09 12:32 PM
I don't care if they name the "potatoes" - "bananas" . I'll find it through the hint button.

But no hints!!!??? I received only 1 hint during a level, and this was autonomously, only when I was stucked. Outrageous!

No hints - no sale!!!

English is not my first language (I envy you, being able to correct mistakes ). I play with an open dictionary near the comp. I need plenty of hints!

Edited on 09/28/2009 at 12:33:54 PM PST

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on Sep 28, 09 12:49 PM
If this is how we save the world, we are all doomed.
I played 20 min of demo, trying to find the statue pieces was a joke, 1st find a spade then nothing you dig up is part of a statue, not that you really have any idea what your looking for, used some hints to find the bits then I had to find mosiac pieces, which disappeared from my inventory, by then I'd had enough.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 28, 09 12:52 PM
I am going to be in the minority with this game I can see
The game is not bad but it is not for me. You get guided too much on what to do next and the puzzles too simple, matching pairs = boring.
Graphics- ordinary.
Good game for relaxing easier play.
I just felt I was going click click click though the motions.

Shortness of game also a big minus to me- half way through the game in the hour demo.

I think I would not have minded if they had the gameplay as is for those that like relaxed style, but made some trickier puzzles with a skip button for those of us that enjoy some challenge.

I know many people will enjoy this game, just not what I am looking.

No Sale here

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 28, 09 1:03 PM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:I don't care if they name the "potatoes" - "bananas" . I'll find it through the hint button.

But no hints!!!??? I received only 1 hint during a level, and this was autonomously, only when I was stucked. Outrageous!

No hints - no sale!!!

English is not my first language (I envy you, being able to correct mistakes ). I play with an open dictionary near the comp. I need plenty of hints!

Hi- there is a rechargeable hiint button- it is the ring thing top right corner.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Sep 28, 09 1:20 PM
Fairyonpagasus

What was the name of the first game in the series?

Thanks. Jess

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Sep 28, 09 1:49 PM
I haven't played the trial, yet, but I, too, look for your reviews, Poodlebear, as they are always well written which makes it much easier to decide whether the game might be likeable or not. Thanks and I hope you feel better, too!!

engj030506
Flounder
Flounder
2,136 Posts

[Post New]by engj030506 on Sep 28, 09 3:02 PM
Govegril, I am pretty much in complete agreement with you.

I found myself getting frustrated with this game. Digging for pieces of the idol that weren't there anyway? - no thanks! Nothing new in the puzzles. Graphics ok. Also, the story is frustrating at times. Of course every female in the world feels safe with a handsome man by her side and then goes travelling the world with said man whilst knowing absolutely nothing about him. Puhlease! In this day and age?

Game does seem very short. I have 10 mins of my trial left and looking at the walkthrough, I only have 3 more chapters to go.
Don't get me wrong, it is an ok game, (much prefer IHOG's, always glad to see more of these though they have been done much better than this recently) I don't totally hate it but don't love it either. I will keep it as a maybe but for now, I definitely won't be buying.

Go to: