bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Legends of the Wild West: Golden Hill comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 29, 09 1:56 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Re:Legends of the Wild West: Golden Hill comments and reviews

[Post New]by bribling on Sep 29, 09 2:17 AM
I bought this. I am a sucker for beautiful graphics and this game has them. I bought that other Western game a while back. I did not like it and it's graphics were miles below the art in this game (it was a dry period and i was desperate for a HOG).

There are some very tiny objects in this game. Some of them are also a bit fuzzy while others in the same scene are very clear. The Hint renews rapidly but I seemed to find a lot of items just by looking and figuring it out without using the list or silhouette (both methods are used).

I have a few annoyances that may not bother others. I wish the Hint and Inventory Bag would quit sparkling or moving. OK, already, I know you are there, give me a break and stop that now (I guess that's telling them). I found some of the ambiant noises annoying and did not always like the music. These can be adjusted in the Options. I just turned my sound off. When you use a Hint, there is a halo around the item and the item rises and revolves. If you click on it during this foolishness, it doesn't count. You have to wait until the item settles down and click on it to get rid of it. The Halo will remain until it is gone and bug you. Twice that halo remained even after the object was gone.

The minis so far (in the Demo) were fun but simple. They can be skipped. I skipped the arcade fishing type game where you drop an anchor (whatever) to grab something. I can't even do that right on a computer. I'd never put money in one of those machines.

I don't like Westerns much and I do not like circuses at all (I have tried, just never have gotten why folks like them). Anyway, this game is both Western and Circus complete with annoying clowns. I like the graphics so much and enjoy the game play so I bought it anyway.

BTW, this game also has an inventory system where you put items into your bag for later use. This system has been done better in other games but is still a fun thing and was another selling point for me. 3 1/2 stars (i'd give it more but i just can't stand clowns).

[Post New]by DynamicUser on Sep 29, 09 2:32 AM
I played the trial of this game and I didn't like it all!!! I played about 25 minutes and it was more than boring. The graphic was ok, but the gameplay was really, really bad.

NEPAT
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by NEPAT on Sep 29, 09 3:27 AM
Generally, I liked the western theme and graphics in this game.
A lot of the items were very small and well hidden ... often had to use hints.
Liked the idea of the inventory bag and being able to store items for later use in the level.

Although the graphics were good, the items were frequently reused -
Lengthy dialog in between chapters...zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Each chapter was rather predictable ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Deleted after demo...No Sale for me

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Sep 29, 09 4:03 AM
I couldn't agree more! Thought it boring, boring, boring.......but then BF have spoilt us over the last week or so with some brill games!

I played the trial of this game and I didn't like it all!!! I played about 25 minutes and it was more than boring. The graphic was ok, but the gameplay was really, really bad.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Sep 29, 09 4:03 AM
I tried this game at another site, but since BF was offering I thought I would give it another go.
It seems everyone is having different problems. I don't have a problem with Inventory but it runs slow, just awkward. The objects I pick up or Inventory items I need to use just seem to float forever before getting to their destination. Just seem buggy. Will not take the chance of buying this one. Customer Service has been very good to me, don't want to take advantage. And also, the game play is so-so.

[Post New]by an9els on Sep 29, 09 4:43 AM
I also, like others, only played abouldhalf and hour of this game!

I try all sortd of games but this one was really the most boring I have ever played.

I just thank god for demo versions as I would have been bitterly dissapointed if I had bought this game!

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Sep 29, 09 4:58 AM
I demoed this on another site and started again here. Both times I ran into the same glitch, so beware all of you. Some scenes cannot be completed unless you use an inventory item with a person listed in the scene. On both occasions the glitch is that the inventory bag is empty so the game cannot be advanced. This isn't a game I'd buy anyway as overall it's just not compelling enough for me. My main reason for the post is to let fish be aware of a recurring glitch.

[Post New]by ChristmasEve on Sep 29, 09 5:41 AM
I played some of the demo and will definitely not be buying this one. There are way too many things in a picture and the objects are so tiny. Spend a lot of time looking for them. Usually if you find one there will be a few more around it. That helps if you are doing the demo. I got annoyed with the gun shot each time you found an object. To those that do or have purchased it, I hope you enjoy it.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 29, 09 6:02 AM
Poppa47 wrote:I demoed this on another site and started again here. Both times I ran into the same glitch, so beware all of you. Some scenes cannot be completed unless you use an inventory item with a person listed in the scene. On both occasions the glitch is that the inventory bag is empty so the game cannot be advanced. This isn't a game I'd buy anyway as overall it's just not compelling enough for me. My main reason for the post is to let fish be aware of a recurring glitch.

That is what happened to me and so I restarted my game from scratch only to run into another glitch.
I had also previously downloaded this elsewhere and had at first resumed the previous game, which Is why I thought the inventory glitch was there. Starting from scratch should have fixed it but I will never know as I did not get that far before something else reared its head with an object disappearing altogether.

I cannot be bothered restarting again, was not enjoying the game that much so will pass.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Sep 29, 09 6:24 AM
I love this game. I actually already bought it from another game club. I love the scenes and the story is intriguing. Each time I come to a new scene, I spend a few moments just staring at the details of it and also locating the main character. The objects are not too hard to find and with a refilling hint system and no timer, I'm happy.

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Sep 29, 09 6:59 AM
govegril wrote:
Poppa47 wrote:I demoed this on another site and started again here. Both times I ran into the same glitch, so beware all of you. Some scenes cannot be completed unless you use an inventory item with a person listed in the scene. On both occasions the glitch is that the inventory bag is empty so the game cannot be advanced. This isn't a game I'd buy anyway as overall it's just not compelling enough for me. My main reason for the post is to let fish be aware of a recurring glitch.

That is what happened to me and so I restarted my game from scratch only to run into another glitch.
I had also previously downloaded this elsewhere and had at first resumed the previous game, which Is why I thought the inventory glitch was there. Starting from scratch should have fixed it but I will never know as I did not get that far before something else reared its head with an object disappearing altogether.

I cannot be bothered restarting again, was not enjoying the game that much so will pass.

It happened to me too. I left the game in the circus scene with 2 items left to see if I would go back to the same spot. When I went back into the game, it asked me if I wanted to do the saved saved game(or whatever it says) I clicked on yes and was taken to a whole new scene, the train station. I needed the key to open the suitcase but there were no keys in my inventory. I had to start all over. That is not a good thing!! They need to "re-vamp" this game if they want people to buy it.

1LIR
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by 1LIR on Sep 29, 09 7:13 AM
I just finish the demo, and I really didn't like it. Most of the objects are just to small to see. The graphics aren't all that. I mostly buy Hidden Object games but this one is really a strain on my eyes. Thank GOD for demo's!

[Post New]by llovin511 on Sep 29, 09 7:25 AM
I demoed this game and perservered until the last 3 min. but am not buying it .

Mine never loaded with a full screen and then some of the objects were at the very bottom where you could barely click on them .

The mini games never opened up so you could see the tools , ie. on the puzzle game the rotate wheel was pretty much hidden , took me a while to figure this out as most rotate things are on the mouse .

Nice graphics but I'm over it.

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Sep 29, 09 7:27 AM
I did get a rerun on the dialogue once, but when I clicked the skip box, it did skip. That is the only glitch I have encountered so far. I don't know if I will buy this or not. I checked out the Magic Academy original as the second is due to come out. It is pretty good, a HOG with pretty rooms in the magic academy ala Harry Potter. I will give serious thought to getting that game instead of this one. Only downer on the Magic Academy was that the tasks were timed. Maybe the second one will not have that feature.

Edited on 09/29/2009 at 11:31:44 AM PST

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Sep 29, 09 8:08 AM
forensicMD wrote:There is a mini-game in the hotel lobby?

LOL! I should have said it is at the Hotel Pablo. There are at least two Hotels and the first one did not have a mini. At Pablo you will see a board of room keys behind the counter, click on it to play the mini. I discovered that if you skip that mini and then stop playing for a while, when you start again you will be back in the lobby and told to use an inventory item with that board. There is no item to use on it. You apparently need to play that mini and win. I played, lost and skipped playing a second time. I went on to play two more screens before stopping. When I played again I was back in that lobby and required to play the mini which I could not do no matter how much I clicked on it (it would not open). I had to start the game over under another name.

This could be a definite sale killer. As others are having this problem, I suspect there might be a new build.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Sep 29, 09 8:11 AM
I give this game mixed reviews.

Pos: The scenes or graphics meet my approval . Something that I enjoyed, that others might not, are that the items are difficult to find. They are small and difficult to find, but not impossible. This gives us gamers a real challenge. Hints are the rechargeable type and are plentiful. The game has variety -- HOs, mini-games, reuseable objectives and inventory. You find objects either from those listed or you're givien the shape of objects to find. There is no timer, so you can relax while playing.

Mixed-Good and Not so Good:
The HOs are small. Items in the different scenes have movement, some might find this frustrating. While hints are plentiful, some might find this takes away from the challenge. Not sure of the lengh. The game has 10 episodes, each with 1-3 missions and a mini-game. The mini-games are fairly easy. -- puzzles, word puzzle, find the right key.

Cons: Typos and more typos, to name a couple. "IIt" vs. "It" and "lipstic" vs. "lipstick." The music was not to my liking. This might be a short game. I played through 3-1/2 episodes in 25 minutes (skipping all dialogue).

Bottomline:
The variety of the game gets my : and the scenes also get a for the challenge of finding small items. But, for me, a game should not be released with so many typos. Worth the demo play, not sure I will purchase.

Harriju
Clownfish
Clownfish
593 Posts

[Post New]by Harriju on Sep 29, 09 8:31 AM
I like the game and would buy it except I have the same glitch as Poppa. I hope it is fixed soon. I won't be buying it until it is fixed.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Sep 29, 09 8:43 AM
Nope. Didn't like this one bit. Very boring. Teeny objects hard to find. And cluttered, really cluttered scenes with meaningless objects just literally crammed into the scenes.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Sep 29, 09 9:11 AM
Couldn't even get through the demo...
-- very annoying music and sounds - I turned them off
-- sparkling hourglass for hints in my peripheral vision was an unnecessary distraction
-- graphics were nice
-- game play - Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
-- too many spelling errors - when I see stuff like this it makes it look like they rushed to get it on the market and forgot about quality - very sloppy
-- tiny hidden objects which doesn't bother me too much
-- not "wild" about the western theme (no pun intended)
-- I'm passing on this one

Edited on 09/29/2009 at 9:11:41 AM PST

Go to: