bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

PuppetShow: Mystery of Joyville ™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 1, 09 2:22 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

Edited on 10/01/2009 at 9:43:04 PM PST

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

Re:PuppetShow: Mystery of Joyville ™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by prchalpn on Oct 1, 09 3:06 AM
I love the game and it has great graphic! But I find that it's alittle too easy. Hoping it will get harder as I progress. Will be buying this one for sure.

Antonie7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Antonie7 on Oct 1, 09 4:09 AM
Ever so beautyfull! It's a Must Have!!!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Oct 1, 09 5:03 AM
Art is SO important to me that I'd probably be buying this one if it was a stinker gameplay-wise because the artwork is sooooo exceptional. But 15 minutes in the story has me intrigued, the gameplay is good (if not terribly challenging or unique so far, but like I said, 15 minutes) the game seems solidly built and the music and sound are great. I *wanted* to buy after about 5 minutes, but held off a whole 15...

15 minutes in rating a resounding with the right to change my mind later, BUT artwork alone is worth my $7.

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on Oct 1, 09 5:36 AM
Lovely graphics. Enjoyable relaxing game but too easy for me. Never even thought about using a hint. May purchase later on for a rainy day. Still waiting for the next Mortimer. Soon. Wish BF would carry them.

Blabs
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Blabs on Oct 1, 09 6:19 AM
so glad everyone else is enjoying this game-all I got was an error message-might try downloading it again and hope for better. I went back and got rid of everything on PuppetShow, redownloaded and voila an error message. I sure would like someone from BF to address this.

Edited on 10/01/2009 at 6:40:49 AM PST

mews
Salmon
Salmon
2,854 Posts

[Post New]by mews on Oct 1, 09 6:23 AM
I agree with poodlebear that the artwork alone makes me want to buy this game, it is very good. The objects are quite easy to find but for me, not too easy and the storyline is interesting, music not too intrusive.

I would have liked a timed option (I think I'm in a minority here ).

No-one should be put off by the:- WARNING: May contain disturbing imagery and themes, so far I haven't found anything to warrant it but maybe that depends on how easily one is disturbed and I suppose later on there may be some things that make the warning necessary. I would guess at 'spookiness' rather than 'blood and gore' hopefully lol.

Have played for only half an hour but I love it and will definitely buy it.

eta: hope you get to play it Blabs, it's a good 'un

Edited on 10/01/2009 at 6:24:29 AM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 1, 09 6:44 AM
I agree with everyone who spoke about the beautiful art work and music. I love the game play. Not too difficult but still a challenge at times.
I am also one of the lucky ones (so far) without any glitches. I only played 10 minutes and could not hold off any longer. Just had to get it.
Thank you very much BFG. You are the best (creme de la creme)

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Oct 1, 09 7:18 AM
Ok, just finished this so yep, it's rather short, finished in 2 hours here, but IMO totally worth it for a wonderful ride.

Yes, it does get more challenging (I did skip one puzzle) though not terribly difficult, and yes, MUCH more spooky and disturbing the farther you go, but that's a plus for me not a minus. I found myself at one point, well several points actually, being reluctant to walk thru the next door for fear of what I might find. Still over all pretty tame by today's standards, but if you get scared easily or bothered by dark stories you may want to steer clear.

I had no issues technically at all.

Given the warning about short length this is definitely Poodlebear Approved! and I can't *wait* for the sequel!

Edited on 10/01/2009 at 7:20:14 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Oct 1, 09 7:27 AM
I am about three quarters of the way through the game.
When I read "game of the year" was sceptical as do not always agree with picmans picks and - yes well I would not call it game of the year.

It is a very nice game and has some lovely elements. Definitley worth purchasing.

When you have played games like City Sights Seattle which has outstanding graphics to me personally - it is hard to give others full marks.
The graphics in this game are very good for this style of game.

Gameplay is great- I love the going back and forward and finding things to progress with the story and or open new scenes.
Finding the stuff you need was not difficult, only a couple of times I missed something and had to return to a scene so not a difficult game to navigate.

Puzzles were total waste of time- nothing new and simple.

Story - I thought the story could be more involving. I do like the little touches like the puppets appearing out of nowhere at times.

Game length: Short 2-3 hour game
Personally took me 3 hours playing leisurely not skipping anything

Very nice IHOG

Edited on 10/01/2009 at 9:59:35 AM PST

Lyvia
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by Lyvia on Oct 1, 09 7:44 AM
I loved the game, but am on the fence about buying it only because, according to the walkthrough, I made it halfway through Chapter Nine. And I wasn't hurrying at all, because I thought I'd be buying it. I like them a little more challenging, but that was a minor quibble. I hate purchasing games that take me less than three hours. Not sure about this one only due to length.

michelle_hdpc
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by michelle_hdpc on Oct 1, 09 8:00 AM
Downloading now can't wait to try sounds great. I am alittle disappointed already though when I read it is short game play. I too am a sucker for great graphics and I like alittle spookiness

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Oct 1, 09 8:07 AM
General: Untimed. Interesting but dark storyline. It is an IHOG similar to RTR (but easier)...HOG scenes to search and collect inventory items. Interactive parts to use said inventory items- a fair bit of wandering around. Custom cursor option which I would recommend turning off if you are having cursor issues.
Graphics/sound: Excellent. A real pleasure to look at. As for sound...the soundtrack seemed to be on a short loop and could get annoying after awhile but the music did fit the atmosphere of the game (it had that "creep" factor).
HOG scenes: Definitely on the easy side. Never had to use a hint (except to evaluate how they are used). Random clicking causes your cursor to spazz out a bit. Nothing too terribly "shocking" about the scenes so not sure about the warning on the game, but maybe it gets more gruesome the further you get.
Inventory puzzles: Not too difficult to figure out. The game usually tells you (or hints greatly) at what you need to do.
Hint System: Draws a circle around an object to pinpoint it. Unlimited but need about a minute to recharge.
Mini-games: I only ran across one and it was nothing new or innovative. Mini-games can be skipped but the skip button needs time to charge.
Length/replayability: The length (by looking at the walkthrough) appears to be on the short side, depending on how good you are at these type of games. The HOG lists DO NOT change on replay (I made a new player profile and restarted...lists stayed the same). The inventory puzzles will certainly stay the same. I think the quality of the game outweighs these factors, but if length and replayability are big factors in your decision you might want to take that into consideration.
Overall Impression: This is a must buy for me. Although it was short and doesn't have much replayability I think the quality of the game makes it worth a credit. I don't know if I agree that it is game of the year, but I definitely think it is in the running and worth a look for those seeking a game to buy.

Edited on 10/01/2009 at 8:10:51 AM PST

giggyann
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by giggyann on Oct 1, 09 8:20 AM
Once again thanks for the reviews Poodle and Silly your the best!! I don't know why BFG doesn't hire you both. When I read your reviews I know just what I'am in for in a game. Thanks again.
giggyann

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Oct 1, 09 8:33 AM
Pros-Cons-"Me" Bottomline.

Pros: As others have said, the graphics are sharp, clear and enjoyable. The sound is not distracting from the game. If you enjoy interactive games, as I do, this one has that. I use to not like games without timers, but they're growing on me. So you can relax while playing. Objects are not difficult to find and they are what they say they are, so no dictionary needed . Each scene has lots of items to location and most include an interation. After playing 45 minutes, I did not find the game boring.

Cons: The major one that I have with this game is the length. There are 13 levels and I completed 7 in 45 minutes of the demo.

Bottomline. This is an enjoyable HOG. The graphics are enjoyable and easy on the eye, the items are not difficulty to locate, but are not too easy either. There are several things to do in this game -- ****, mini-games, and interaction. I give it

lauder
Herring
Herring
358 Posts

[Post New]by lauder on Oct 1, 09 8:36 AM
beautiful game I am really impressed with the game. I will buy this 1 when I finish my 60 minutes.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 1, 09 8:42 AM
I agree with the other reviews. I really like this game. I will buy this one!

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Oct 1, 09 9:13 AM
I DLed the game when I got up and played it later; thought it was very good. When it started I said WOW great graphics; detail amazing. Sound is ok, not intrusive and of course can be turned off. Hint refills fairly quickly and highlights item well. This is a definite buy!!!
Sillyfeet; you and poodlbear give great reviews which detail all aspects of the games. You are an invaluable help in game purchase!!

Some of you must play very fast; I just like to take my time and really look at details.

mahbah55
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,025 Posts

[Post New]by mahbah55 on Oct 1, 09 9:38 AM
Played the full demo, but I'm not sure I'll purchase because:

1- Way too easy: hints are not necessary, items are very easy to spot, puzzles are very simple, and I never even got close to being stuck. I found myself flying through the demo, and I prefer more of a challenge.

2- I expected the creepiness factor to be higher due to the warning. Creepiness factor was actually very low.

3- No replay value.

4- Looking through the walkthrough, I see that I got over halfway through the game, which means I have less than or up to another hour of playing. I prefer longer games.

The one reason I'd buy is to see how it ends. Perhaps if I need a game to add to the Oktoberfest promo, I'll buy it. Not sure yet.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Oct 1, 09 10:06 AM
THANKS ....POODLE & SILLY!!

WONDERFUL REVIEWS

I AGREE BFG NEEDS TO HIRE U

PEN

Go to: