SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Is Maniac Mode playable?

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Oct 21, 15 7:28 PM
Is it just me, or is the maniac mode pretty much impossible in JM4? I thought maniac mode in JM3 was seriously challenging but I did finish it. Can't do more than two levels on maniac timed here without having to buy time...I gave up on level 5!

Must go to show that even good players meet their match in a game sometimes, but I've never been this completely owned by a M3 ever...

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:Is Maniac Mode playable?

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Nov 3, 15 8:03 AM
I tried untimed limited moves maniac mode and it's sort of barely playable. Looks like it randomly adds in more and more chains and ice cubes in the boards with fewer and fewer moves, so you are forced to buy moves no matter what. If you can manage to build up 300 in gold every so often you can keep on buying moves and not completely die in the levels. But still seems like a very long battle of attrition, and I couldn't be persuaded to keep going after level 15.

allbonnie
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by allbonnie on Jan 24, 16 6:10 PM
I got to level 6 and died. Shop usually never showed up, but at level six, it somehow accidentally showed up when I clicked on something. Does anyone know why it showed up and if it is supposed to show up?

It is a very difficult game!

allbonnie
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by allbonnie on Jan 26, 16 6:40 PM
Actually, I discovered shop was always there, it was just at the top. Have made it to level 8, but usually run out of lives at level 7. Has anyone played it all the way to the end?

allbonnie
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

Manic Mode Jewel Match IV

[Post New]by allbonnie on Feb 3, 16 1:31 PM
I made it to level 23, and within about 10% of getting to 24! Then I died....

Must be a way to play it all the way.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 3, 16 4:54 PM
Are you playing it in timed or the limited moves? I got fed up with both maniac modes after only a handful of levels because it was either ridiculously short timed or very little moves for levels with 500+ tiles to do and more and more chains/ice cubes. What's your secret? I don't know how many levels there are in the maniac modes.

allbonnie
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

I am at level 70 and

[Post New]by allbonnie on Feb 8, 16 12:17 AM
I am not sure how many levels are left. It is a challenging game and it took many attempts and starting over to get there. I am playing it in timed.

Once I started acquiring better chain destroyer, and larger mana I was able to make it to 22, and at that level, I was able to buy a larger hammer. That is the one that will destroy all tiles of a certain color or shape. I have come close to losing all my lives at times, and if it happened I would be truly annoyed, and would not start over.

The larger hammer, chain destroyer and mana have made a difference. I buy lives when ever I can. Before I got that far, I had one level where I lost nine lives!

Have to get up from this chair and exercise soon!!!!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 8, 16 7:26 AM
Thanks for your input. I got your PM - wow, and congratulations on getting as far as you have!

I may go back and try it again sometime, but although I like my M3s hard, I also play them for relaxation so even though I enjoy a challenge I still want the game to be doable, otherwise it just feels like a battle of attrition and not fun. Currently replaying the maniac mode in JM3 which is a challenge, but a fun challenge.

[edit] In case anyone is wondering, the only M3s I've played over the past 11 years that have modes which own me are:

-maniac modes in JM4
-anything past the first iteration of the boards in the first Jewel Quest
-super hard bonus boards in Jewel Quest II
-bonus boards in the CE of Cradle of Rome 2 (I got to level 14 or so and deleted the game when I played on another site, LOL)

If you can finish any of these you have serious bragging rights.

Edited on 02/08/2016 at 7:36:01 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 11, 16 2:36 PM
@allbonnie: Thanks for your encouragement on maniac mode. I made it to level 30 in maniac timed on my current game. It's still a struggle because the ice cubes get in the way of everything, but I did find I was able to keep going if I bought an extra life on each level and traded it for more time. I'm not sure how long I'll keep going since it still seems too hard to be really fun but at least I didn't die right away!

Too bad that you can't break the ice by matching with them or next to them like in some other games. That alone would have made the maniac mode quite a bit more playable IMO...

[Post New]by yokutwoman on Feb 11, 16 3:28 PM
I'm so addicted to this manic mode I have most of the JM games. But for the past 3 weeks, at least i have been playing JWIV in manic mode, timed, do not like the one that counts moves, i have even taken this game off my computer to only put it back on, i have also bought 3 new games from BF that are just sitting on my desktop to be played
I'm able to get to level 6 with not much problem. Level 7 a couple of times, and level 8 once.
This game is kicking my **** but i just keep going back and restarting the level i'm on if i'm seeming to be losing it,
Good luck to all

[Post New]by yokutwoman on Feb 23, 16 2:26 PM
Just a quick note. I have made it to level 38 in the manic mode timed. I do not know how i did it except maybe that i bought more lives when ever i could and used the power hammer more. Will report back when i finish it, hope i did not jinx myself now

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 23, 16 7:15 PM
If you ever do get an "end" in the maniac mode do let the rest of us know...I'm starting to think maniac mode is endless in this game. There are only 54 actual levels in the adventure mode, and from what I can tell, the maniac modes use a limited number of these same levels but they repeat over and over. The first few (very small) boards you get while playing adventure mode haven't ever appeared for me in maniac mode.

Go to: