Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Fear for Sale: City of the Past Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 22, 15 12:34 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/22/2015 at 5:47:19 AM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Fear for Sale: City of the Past Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Oct 22, 15 4:28 AM
Part One of Two

Like Déjà vu All Over Again!
Three weeks ago I played Fear For Sale: 13 Keys. It was released a year ago to the week but sat in my inventory unplayed. It turns out to be not such a great thing...I fear.

Fear For Sale: City of the Past and Fear For Sale: 13 Keys are like books from a prolific murder mystery author who changes names, dates, cities and even crimes but basically writes the same book over and over again. Out of habit I might say it's "more of the same." In reality, it's less of the same. What was fresh and exciting the first time around is less so this time.

Worse than this, the excusable flaws from a few weeks ago are repeated rather than corrected and therefore are all the more damning and not at all excusable.

As a series, Fear For Sale places a lot of emphasis on story lines and their presentation by employing great writers who produce great lines for great voice actors. This is usually a winning formula for me: I like playing a game heavy on storyline and featuring well-integrated HOS and mini-games. Games with 36 HOS and 24 puzzles loosely connected by a poorly conceived storyline will seldom get a passing grade from me.

So what's wrong with Fear For Sale: City of the Past? Lack of Challenge. A couple weeks ago I was charmed by the developers' attention to detail in 13 Keys: the great storyline, the perfectly integrated background music, puzzles and HOS that sprang naturally from the story. I was very impressed with the attention to the details of the set design: hovering a cursor over a tree and left-clicking a mouse resulted in the leaves shaking. Do the same on a clock and the hands spin; do it on a dog and he barks or a cat hisses.

The phenomenon of the prolific writer? Exactly the phenomenon of the prolific game developer. The SAME THINGS HAPPEN IN City of the Past: left click your mouse and multitude of eyes blink; bats stretch their wings; and, yes, a dog barks.

In an industry where extraordinary strides are made by developers from one game to the next, if you're not moving forward, you're taking a step backward. City of the PAST.

To be continued...

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Fear for Sale: City of the Past Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Oct 22, 15 4:29 AM
Part two of two

In my last go around I excused the cursor which morphs into a hand, robbing me of the challenge of really searching for and discovering a beyond item or a collectible. No excuse this time. I PAY a lot of money for the challenge when I buy a Collector's Edition. In the last "episode" I excused games which were so easy that my trusty helper, Stanley the Labrador could have solved them. This time these challenge-deprived games are not at all excusable. They are a staggering disappointment.

In City of the Past, the HOS and puzzles don't spring naturally from the storyline so much as they interrupt the storyline. They are an annoyance rather than an adventure. They're easily solved in near record time. That is a problem. Despite my attraction to "story" and "book," if an HOS or puzzle is not a challenge, I grow tired of the game as a whole. Why? Because, after all, these are GAMES not BOOKS. A classic book needs a great storyline and timeless characters. A great game needs more: The compelling storyline must be accompanied by creative, challenging HOS and puzzles. Sadly, this is not the case with this most recent episode of Fear For Sale.

Stanley Yawned. And so did I.
And that is my verdict for City of the Past. This game could not have a more apt title.

Edited on 10/22/2015 at 4:33:07 AM PST

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Oct 22, 15 5:33 AM
Is this a review of the whole game or of the demo only?

I happened to replay the 13 keys episode some weeks ago and I didn't detect any similarities. To be true: it is a different story. Here we deal with statues coming to life because of...

..... will continue, when played further!

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Oct 22, 15 5:48 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Fear for Sale: City of the Past Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Fear for Sale: City of the Past Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 22, 15 8:12 AM
I had a good chuckle at sfr8rfan's excellent review, picturing Stanley the Labrador at his PC solving puzzles but not having played 13 Keys recently, this newest Fear For Sale didn't seem overly familiar and I must admit to quite enjoying the demo. I do agree though that having the cursor change to a hand when passing over a collectible or morphing object takes away the challenge of searching for them.

It was a touch dark in places but the graphics were well done and the voices seemed suited to the location. The mini-games were mostly easy to solve but one or two got a bit tricky and I skipped one completely. There are many different types of collectibles to find as well as morphing objects but as I said, it's not much of a challenge to locate them.

The map shows where there are tasks to complete, as well as whether or not you have found all the collectibles/morphs. I think it transports too. I did like the idea of statues coming to life; anyone who has seen the Dr Who episode 'Blink' will know exactly how menacing they can be! I didn't look at the SG so I can't say how many chapters there are or what extras are included.

But the real draw for me with this game are the HOS....or rather the option you get to not actually have to play a single hidden object scene if you don't want to! I like the occasional search but the jigsaw puzzle option is for me what makes this developers games so playable. The uniquely cut shapes make for such interesting jigsaws that I never play any of the HOS and that suits me perfectly

It's a buy for me

ETA: No technical issues with the demo (apart from one jigsaw having to be played twice as it didn't clear the object list first time round). Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 10/24/2015 at 12:42:25 AM PST

janey1806
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by janey1806 on Oct 22, 15 10:08 AM
[Removed by Moderator]The game is not the same storyline as 13 keys. I liked the demo and enjoyed clicking on everything to see it move. The demo flowed nicely and loved the hogs. [Removed by Moderator] Its better than most of the games that have come our lately. At least is looks to be a decent length. Yes, it is easy, but thats not always a bad thing. Some of us like to relax and go with the flow. Well done elefun games!

Edited on 10/22/2015 at 3:53:48 PM PST

[Post New]by shelterhill on Oct 22, 15 12:22 PM
I'm on the fence about this one.
At first I loved it, especially when the things reacted when you touched them, the HOS were nice and a bit different.. Minigames easy but I like that.
But after a while it got a bit overboard, too many things in one scene and some a bit silly, why dressing a mannequin doll??? What is the point??
I will get it but not right away. But with a darn good sale I might consider it.
Because I liked the gameplay itself.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 22, 15 1:17 PM
Hello friends! Well, here we have another addition to the Fear series. Yep, got them all, but not necessarily in CE version. I beta tested this one a few months back and gave it a 4.75 at that time, simple because of the muted blues. Very tiring on the eyes. Graphics and game play were very nice, no problems during the demos. Animation was nice, but not a lot of it. Voice overs weren't too bad, but the male voices seemed quite monotone and somewhat boring during the demo. Hopefully they pick up a bit as the game progresses.

HOPs have a little variety, e.g. standard lists, interactive lists and seem a bit like junk piles. However, they are not so messy that you can't easily find what you are looking for. If you don't care for HOPs, then you can switch to a jigsaw puzzle. I like this, but then again, I love jigsaw puzzles. Hint system is helpful, but is a bit overdone with the very large circle that shrinks as it get closer to the item you are looking for. Puzzles have not been difficult or taken any time to complete so far. Did anyone else notice that the numbers on the radio in Mom's house were on backward? Took me a second to figure out why it looked odd. I did note that in order to open the map, I had to put my cursor on the word "map" before I could open it...just a weird side note. I do like that the map shows whether you have all the collectibles/morphing objects in that area. Didn't bother with the SG, but I seldom do anyway.

Standard achievements, but lots of collectibles. This is what I like about this series. You need to find 6 pieces for 5 categories of items, e.g. toys, postcards, ocarina, actress items, doctor items. They aren't difficult, but you do have to look for them. There are also 35 morphing objects throughout the game. Again, not difficult, but morph fairly quickly.

I do like this series and liked this story line, even though I did only see one statue come to life during the demo and all it did was have eyes that lit up and spoke a few words. They don't tromp around smashing things like giants...at least not during the demo. Yes, it is pretty much the same as all the others in this series, but as I said, I do like all the collectibles and the challenge of finding them. Even though I gave the beta a 4.75 because of the color, I need to down grade a bit more because of the voice overs and give this one a 4.5. Still a nice game and worth the extras. I have the need to play this one out and see if I'm right in where I'm sure it's going. I think this game will appeal to all levels of players. Yes, it is a definite buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the review.

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Oct 22, 15 3:09 PM
I like this game. True, its not terribly difficult, even with all sparkles turned off. But, I like the fact that I can customize the game and therefore turn off the sparkles in the first place! I also like the color palate and the interactive backgrounds. Lots of fun. I like the collectibles and morphs too. Gives me something more to do in each scene.

I actually don't care that much about the story line in a game. I think they are all kind of ridiculous. It's not like I expect great literature from a casual HOPA. Besides, what the devs are doing is merely inventing a reason for you, the player i.e., the character, to performs tasks to achieve a goal. Otherwise, you would not be involved. If it was somebody else's sister who was kidnapped or son who wandered away, you would just say aw, so sad, and then go back to whatever it was you were doing, unless of course somebody asked for your help. Like if you were an investigative reporter or a mystery detective! So, I'm not too invested in the story line. To me, it is just a sort of an impetus to solve whatever disappearance or mystery or catastrophe currently needs to be rescued, fixed or averted.

Aso, I almost always play with the sound off, so I don't care about accents or music.

To me, the overall atmosphere and the quality of the games and HOP are much more important. I like a customizable game, with lots of bells and whistles, such as collectibles and morphs, like this one And interesting quirks, like this game.

So, I like lots of things about the game. I've only played the demo so far, but I hope it is nice and long, because I am off to buy it!

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Oct 22, 15 3:57 PM
Hi Everyone,

We really appreciate the feedback that players have provided for this game. Please keep in mind when posting in the forums, the Forum Rules and Review Guidelines, specifically,

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

Keep in mind that this thread is designated for Reviews Only. We encourage players to post in this thread their game specific thoughts. Thank you for your understanding everyone!

Happy posting!

bfgBellerophon

[Post New]by NancySusan on Oct 23, 15 6:38 AM
I'm not going to go into a description of the technical aspects, since others have covered that very well, other than to say that the color palate was fine with me even if the graphics weren't exactly always the highest quality, but I did encounter a weird delay when I tried to click on the map icon. Sometimes the icon acted as if it hadn't been clicked on, then when I tried again it worked, but the delay is a little worrying. However, other than that, the game worked fine, and I'll most likely buy it. I do have several in the series, although there are two I didn't buy, including the last one. To my surprise I pretty much enjoyed the game. The story of a game is important to me, and I noticed my interest did increase when I realized the goal was to figure out a mystery (not all that mysterious though, pretty obvious, but still interesting getting there) and clear someone's name. I played the entire demo, liked collecting various things, morphing objects fairly easy to find. There was the typical somewhat meaningless running back and forth while someone is in dire peril, which I've come to expect. Ultimately, I can get this game for free and it kept my attention going, I also like the choice of playing HOP's or switching to jigsaw puzzles of which I played one. Some of the voice work was surprising lackluster considering the situations people found themselves in, but oh well.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Oct 26, 15 4:26 AM
Very good game, based on the demo, no tech problems , fluid, entertaning and beautifully done, worth the CE!

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jan 5, 16 2:20 PM
I have always been a fan of the FFS series and own all of them, can't put my finger on it, but got a bit bored on this one, felt like I was just going through the motions, instead of actually enjoying, the game play, in this one .
It is just MHO, of course, I didn't find it to easy, and I just LOVED the different collectables, that was a bonus/plus, along with the morphing objects .
For me, the more collectables, the better, it was the actual game play, that at times, I felt I would fall asleep , never had this happen in other games in this series, this was a first, for me .

We all like different things in games, others may love it, so I would suggest trying for yourself ...this one just wasn't my cup of tea, my least favorite of the series .
I played the main game and bonus, because I hate to leave a game unfinished, that is a personal problem though..lol but it was a struggle at times to get through, SORRY to say .

Go to: