Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by eugefi on Apr 6, 12 2:03 PM
Hi everyone!

I would like to start by saying that I am a huge fan of the MCF series. I have played all the games (all 8 of them) several times and I never get tired of them.

Regarding this one, I have to say I loved playing it, and finished it in just a couple of hours. Loved the new seeking games and the plot. But I must add that I was completely disappointed when I came to the end and found the "extras". Just 2 seeking games? That´s it? Going through all that trouble in the casebook just for that? In 13 Skulls you had an entire new chapter to play after completing the game, with the pirate ship and everything. I expected more from this edition. I know the idea is to have us looking forward to the next edition, but we would have been waiting for it just as much as if we had had something more interesting to do after completing this game...

I don't know... I guess I was just spoilt by 13 Skulls and expected a similar ending or extras...

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by rubies_7 on Apr 9, 12 6:39 AM
Besides the obvious problems with the timelines and some of the things that Dalimar 'supposedly' went through. The best part for me is the marriage section. I think that it is so twisted because, if you read the books and some of previous games give specific reference to the detective as a male, or "uncle" (in the books). So the fact that Dalimar tried to marry 'you,' is in fact, hilarious--since according to his back-story he really 'likes' women, so didn't know he was bi. I don't know, I guess I'm the only one who noticed that...

lilwaif
Shark
Shark
10,082 Posts

[Post New]by lilwaif on Apr 11, 12 6:11 PM
Hello fellow fishies, I'm having a problem in the maternity room I clicked on the tv monitor , I have the babies and I followed the advice of the stradigy book and a walkthrough book and I can not get the dummy to open her mouth what do I do?

Snaffled
Marlin
Marlin
9,392 Posts

[Post New]by Snaffled on Apr 13, 12 2:57 PM
Not sure I'll finish this one some gross parts... what for and why?...

Do like the morphing objects tho...

[Post New]by SimonCoward on Apr 14, 12 3:50 AM
I haven't played a huge number of Mystery Case File games before this one - but the few I have played include both previous Ravenhearst games.

Although I enjoyed "Escape from" it felt to me as though there were too many changes in style from the previous game. Now it might be that the MCF games have been changing gradually over time and if I'd played more of the titles released in between Ravenhearst 2 and 3 the changes wouldn't seem so dramatic. Don't know.

I don't really have a problem with the morphing aspect. The artwork on all the games has been exceptional, and perhaps the morphing aspect makes the images more realistic in the sense that you don't have to have the really peculiar visual non-sequitors that the hidden object games require. So that aspect didn't faze me too much.

I missed the music, although there are occasional snatches of it, the background music from most previous games was largely absent - I don't feel that was a positive change.
Another change which I also found less helpful was the fact that the detective's journal no longer contains any useful information at all - previously once you'd discovered things they'd get noted in the journal for later use and you, the player, wouldn't have to keep notes of everything. Now it seems that you do have to note everything down yourself, and while the journal relates to some of the bonus play in the collectors edition I can't see that it can really have any useful function in the standard edition at all.

More follows...

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition SPOILERS

[Post New]by SimonCoward on Apr 14, 12 3:51 AM
Towards the end there seems to be an inordinate amount of running around but very little actual play. This is my biggest problem with the whole game - very poor management of expectations. You go through the first part of the game - i.e. the free part - and then with some extra gameplay in the bought version you come to the hub with what you quickly discover are five doors. The amount of play behind doors one, two and three is, broadly speaking, in line with what you get from the initial "outdoor" segment and so having completed the first three doors' worth plus the "outdoors" I was expecting to find that I was around two thirds of the way through the game and that there was still plenty more to do. In fact, as long as you've picked up all the right items there's virtually no play at all through door four other than a single morphing object scene and similarly in the final part I expected more than just a single puzzle. From imagining I'd got almost half as much play left as I'd already enjoyed when I walked through door four, it turned out that I was already 95% of the way through the game and only a few minutes away from completing it. For me this was definitely the most disappointing aspect.

There are a few odd logical issues in the game too, which don't seem to make any sense and made things a bit frustrating. A stone which can't be moved by hand, but which can be moved with a small bottle opener. A wobbly grill that can't be levered off with a pickaxe but can with a small ice pick. The business with the prison cells took me a while to work out because I didn't have the ladder. As soon as I'd used the ladder initially I tried to pick it up again and it wouldn't let me - I can't recall any previous instance where this kind of thing has happened. I can understand that there are times where you can't do X before you've done Y, but the game is normally consistent in that you keep hold of an item until you can no longer use it at which point it either vanishes, having been used up, or becomes part of the scenery. To have already had the ladder and then be nonsensically prevented from picking it up again only to discover much much later that you can now pick it up again is very counter-intuitive and, to my mind, cheating.

More follows...

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition SPOILERS

[Post New]by SimonCoward on Apr 14, 12 3:52 AM
There's also some very strange geography that I couldn't reconcile in places - I still can't work out how the window of the prison can be opposite the window of the ECT room when the stairs send you off in completely different directions.

I must confess I found the part with the door tokens thoroughly irritating. To discover, later, that I'd paid extra for that was especially annoying. There also seems to be a bug in the program - which according to the forums was reported some months ago - in that the final page of the journal never appears and so one of the two bonus HOS screens never becomes available. As that's perhaps the only additional game play element with the Collectors' Edition that I'd enjoy playing, to discover I've only got half of what I should have isn't great, to be honest.

But overall, despite this sounding rather critical, I did very much enjoy the majority of the play the game provided. If it had been evened out so that the final two stages weren't so simple and so short I'd have enjoyed it even more. In retrospect, though, I should have stuck with the standard edition - which I'd gone for on all previous games - as the benefits of the CE were either annoying or partly missing and when I got completely stuck (as I did with the ladder and in a few other places) I found the online walkthrough much easier to follow than the inbuilt strategy guide.

Edited on 04/14/2012 at 3:53:28 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Apr 20, 12 6:35 AM
i hope the DEVS make another MCF.------------doug

[Post New]by Leigh2216 on Apr 23, 12 4:33 PM
Words cannot express how disappointed I was in this game. I was looking forward to it for a long time, having always been a huge fan of MCF and the Ravenhearst games in particular. I bought it the CE the instant it was released and after 10 minutes was staring at the laptop in utter shock.

It's beautiful, certainly, and the acting by the live actors was considerably better than in The 13th Skull... Charles' actor was fantastic - really conveyed madness very well. He was delightfully creepy and macabre.

However, nothing but morphing objects ruined this for me. The lack of direction also didn't help. I consider myself a very competent player but I had to refer to the strategy guide almost constantly for this game. I've never had to to that before. I put it aside after finally finishing it (for 14 bucks I was gonna play it to the end if it killed me) and recently replayed. Again, if not for the SG I would not have made it through. I loved the tour through his birth and childhood - yes, it's not for the squeamish, and it kinda grossed me out in some places. But I understood why they chose to do what they did.

It's too bad really - this should have been the ultimate Ravenhearst game. It should have been brilliant. The story is wonderful, but the game is hopelessly crippled with the choice to go with MOs instead of HOs, and the impossiblity of figuring out where to go and what to do with your inventory.

2 fishes out of 5 for this one, which I give with a heavy heart. Hopefully the next MCF will blow me away, because I truly love them.

[Post New]by czeshirecat on Apr 26, 12 8:43 AM
Difficult lovely game. Nice logical atmospheric story. Great graphics.
Along with others I feel there were too many morphing puzzles. After the first one I spent my time waiting on the hint button or using a walkthrough to find the objects
I also had a problem working out what solution I was supposed to be aiming at for the mini puzzles (eg some hint text when a puzzle was encountered). Many were obvious, some just baffling. Again walkthrough needed.
Also, it would have been nice if the journal would have been of more use to suggest that there's actually a problem to be solved in a scene and a hint of where to go to find a solution. Walkthrough again was useful here, but I really don't like using those, and for some of the problems the solutions were so far back in game time and not so obvious that they'd automatically spring to mind.
Loved it anyway. Maybe if I wasn't recouperating from illness I'd have had less troubles.
Lol. Being a brit, born near Manchester, and having taken day trips to Blackpool many many times this game gave me a huge giggle. I thought it must have been a Blackpool in the USA until I saw it supposedly faced the Irish Sea and realized they meant our version.
Blackpool is situated on a very flat part of the UK. It just ain't got cliffs, or thatched cottages. It's got a mini version of the Eiffel Tower, a promenade, lots of sand and several piers. A poor man's wanna be Las Vegas. I don't know about lighthouses, but there's one or two old windmills inland.
Oh, and what extra content is there supposed to be in the Collectors Edition? Didn't seem to be able to find anything once I'd gotten through

Edited on 04/26/2012 at 9:06:14 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Apr 27, 12 9:31 AM
The Game -- finished it in some kind of marathon experience, so it must have been pretty good!

I can't really find too many things to criticize at all. Yes -- it was gross. As a matter of fact Master Detective puts it exactly in those words in his/her journal. If you don't want to get passed that, this may not be a rewarding experience no matter how good the game play. But the game play was good. Obviously, I got caught up in it.

The puzzles -- there was only one that mimicked some of BFG's best efforts in RTR. I so wish there had been more. There was a bit of a let down in the end since I was counting on some big finish memorable puzzle, but instead the finale was rather weak.

The story -- well, Act 6 was very short compared to the rest of the game. If you played RTR you already know the cast of characters. You will learn a lot more about Charles. If we ever return to Ravenhearst, there will be a new twist on the story.

The extra game play -- tasks that required a good memory or a lot of back and forth. Either way, it still added time and another dimension to accomplishing the game play. I liked it, and thought it was worth the extra bucks for the extra play time.

The morphing H0G scenes -- they got a bit tiresome. I did hit the hint button to find that last morph on more than one occasion. There were some other H0G scenes, but they were not "traditional" either.

In total, from visual presentation, game play construction, attention to details, adventure, task, and puzzle content, I think you have to put this game ahead of others. 4.5 s.

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on Apr 28, 12 4:03 AM
i really thought that any sequel to RTR would be something of a disappointment. it's become the gold standard for hopas, some time has passed since its initial release, nostalgia for it is high. i was prepared to be a little disappointed. this turned out not to be the case.

wow.

those who treasured both the interesting puzzles and distinct non-linear feel of RTR will like this game. everything is pretty open-ended, and there is absolutely no hand-holding.

i wasn't certain how i would feel about the pared-down use of the journal in this one. it doesn't record clues for you; instead you have to determine which pieces of information are useful, which are not. but given the nature of the gameplay, i really found that i preferred it this way: the treasure is in discovering just what fits where.

the graphics are rich (if sometimes gross: don't play this one while eating!) the atmosphere is suitably creepy, darkly humorous, and at times, just plain dark. (it deals largely with the upbringing that made charles dalimar what he is. as you might expect, it wasn't pleasant.)

all in all, it was great to hear 'ravenhearst's' music again, re-visit some familiar locations, catch up with old heroes and villains. my only complaint: a couple sleepless nights. if you liked rtr, you may find this one is just as difficult to step away from.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Apr 30, 12 10:59 AM
I won't get into a long review here. Most things have been said. But things that bear repeating are the things I miss, especially things that give value to game replay:
*Morphing objects that are randomly interspersed, not have their own scenes.
*Achievements - what happened to those? Why go back and play again if not to better your "score"?
*"Easter egg" type objects that don't affect actual game play - think gold insignia cards, or hammered bunny, etc that get you in a secret room. Why go back and play again if you don't have a goal to reach for?

Btw, I place the game behind Dire Grove and 13th Skull. Definitely not my top MCF.

ladiedidee
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by ladiedidee on May 17, 12 4:05 AM
This is absolutely, hands down, the hardest game I have ever played. I sure am glad they had a walk through. I d/l on 12/21/11 and just now finished it. I don’t like to use the walkthrough so I would get so flustered I would have to put it up for a while. It was a very good game. I just aint the brightest light in the house.

[Post New]by DarkSnowWhite on May 28, 12 1:52 PM
Just completed this game as I'm a Mac user and we had to wait bloody ages to get it released on Mac us… grumble over!

On the whole it was ok, creepy in places which I love, but I found the ongoing concept of the Ravenscroft saga slightly boring and bordering on irritating.

I waited so long for this game to find MCF have gone down the Trilogy route which I'm disappointed about. Would have liked for them to have come up with a brand new concept and storyboard.. (Maybe next time guys?)

The puzzles were hard which is good.. like the morphing scenes but that and HOS would have worked better…

What really upset me was no extra content, now for a CE game this is a bit out of order really… it should have been displayed/advertised that there was no extra content.. leaving me feeling slightly ripped off…

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on May 28, 12 3:14 PM
What really upset me was no extra content, now for a CE game this is a bit out of order really… it should have been displayed/advertised that there was no extra content.. leaving me feeling slightly ripped off…
Assuming that the Mac CE is the same as the PC CE, the extra content is embedded in the game.

[Post New]by DarkSnowWhite on May 29, 12 8:24 AM
Mr_Russ wrote:
Assuming that the Mac CE is the same as the PC CE, the extra content is embedded in the game.

Sorry to be thick but embedded where exactly??? Cheers Mr_Russ x

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on May 29, 12 9:16 AM
If you have locks to find on each door by matching a part of a scene, that's CE only.
If you have two journal tabs with 15 / 16 morphing objects with two accompanying HO scenes (once you've found all of the morphs: also in the journal), that's CE only as well.

snookataylor
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by snookataylor on Jun 15, 12 9:58 AM
I am a Mac user and was disappointed I couldnt get it to work, so I ended up downloading the game on a PC. I wish I hadnt bothered and what a waste of 2 game credits. I only got a 20 min demo which made it look really good. IT WAS BORING. I got absolutely fed up with going backward and forward all the time, the morphing objects sometimes were too small to be seen, and the strategy guide left a lot to be desired, and apart from a couple of scenes I didnt find it that scary.
I have loved all the Ravenhurst games, but this one was a huge let down.

KATPOR
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by KATPOR on Jun 24, 12 9:52 PM
Being a lover of the Mystery Case Files series I bought this game without playing the demo....won't do that again!

I'm not a big fan of morphing objects and it would have been fine if the morphing objects and typical HOG scences had been interspersed, but just morphing objects are tedious.

I thought some of the content was disgusting...popping pimples, really? I mean, really?

Overall it was a long game, but I getting a little tired of the same old story, kidnapped, almost dead, haunted or haunting spirits....HOGs have started to sink into the "it's a dark and stormy night" type of story and it's time for someone to come up with a new twist. This game isn't it.

Next time a Mystery Case Files comes out I'll be sure and try the demo first and I won't be in a hurry to do it.

Go to: