Disappointed & Offended

U25150
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

Disappointed & Offended

[Post New]by U25150 on Oct 3, 09 1:16 AM
It really takes a lot to offend me but this game ... WoW!

The graphics were good. The time travel cut scene was the best. Those are the two good things I can say.

Now, I seriously had to stop and remember if I downloaded this game from BFG or from Trinity Broadcast Network.

Jesus this, God that, we're all saved ... really, now.

People are offended by tarot cards? This is blantant religious. I don't play games on BFG to learn about Christianity. I play games on BFG for mental stimulation, relaxation & escape from the normal day to day stresses.

Now, the biggest WHOA?!? Parents if you are considering downloading this game for your children/minor DO NOT DO IT!!!

There is a mini-game with Socrates & guess what you get to do?

Give him a full body massage while he's only wearing a towel. I was waiting for the boom-chica-wow-wow music.

Seriously, for those that play these games and get a jump on reviewing it, please include whether there are religious connotations & semi-nude scenes.

My kid walked in and asked "Mom, what the heck are you playing?!?" Talk about embarrassed.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

Re:Disappointed & Offended

[Post New]by vicalana on Oct 3, 09 3:08 AM
I found that bit pretty gross too and stopped playing!

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Oct 17, 09 4:17 PM
I tried this game when it first came out and once I got to the dinosaur, I thought it was a kiddy game, so never went on.

Happened to try it today and bought it...been playing most of day and I think it's enterprising and much-varied game.

I had to laugh at some of the corny dialogue and happenings but am thoroughly enjoying it. Didn't find the massage part disturbing at all--it's just a game. And, while I'm not religious at all, I found the "Omniscient" pinball games a riot.

Great game to whittle away the hours on a cold rainy/snowy Saturday.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Dec 19, 09 5:56 AM
I just played the first three chapters and then hit the forums. Wow! I doubt massaging Socrates will bother me -- and I'm a straight guy. Religious pushiness could, but it sounds like it might just be funny (even if not intended that way). Anyway, I'm really curious to find out what those elements are like now and discover if they bug me or not.

[Post New]by orlandomiki on Dec 19, 09 7:06 AM
I am almost done with the game and sure never saw anything like you are pointing out....I have played this game with my 9 year old grandson....

Guess some people just find fault with everything....

It's a game...That's all ....If you don't like it or parts of it DELETE and move on to something else...

Don't usually respond to negative comments but this just hit me as plain silliness...

onelifesdream
Flounder
Flounder
2,271 Posts

[Post New]by onelifesdream on Dec 19, 09 12:13 PM
I am only on the fifth chapter, but so far, I have found nothing christian about it. Not that there won't be later, but not yet.

Funny how you forgot to mention the 3rd chapter with Nostradomus that was FILLED and all about zodiac signs, horoscope, and a magic potion and a crystal ball in the room to boot.

The way you made it sound I expected a completely different game.

These days almost every game out there has symbols of the occult in it, or is about spirits or ghosts, but nobody is complaining about that. Not that I've witnessed at least.

ALL the MCF games I love, but at least from Ravenhearst on, they ALL have some very disturbing images/symbols in them related to the occult.

After playing RTR I had some very disturbing things happen in my house that no one can explain.

I am very sure I have ghosts as ever since I've moved here 5 years ago. ALL kinds of things unexplainable have happened here, but the RTR incident is the MOST disturbing.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Dec 19, 09 2:30 PM
I agree with the last three posts. Parents, try it out and judge for yourself. I never let anyone else choose my game for me or eliminate one. Because of that I've enjoyed many games that others gave bad reviews. I thought it was very clever and inovative. Offensive? I'vr seen things more offensive in cartoons, the violence is unbelievable. I never taught my children that sex (among adults was a bad thing, Not that I went out of my way to have them watch things they were not ready to understand. But I did teach them that violence was always bad and when they were small I made it a point to try to avoid it even in cartoons. As far as religion, I tau7ght them what I believed and what other people around the world believed. My children were never swayed by casual talk and references. I tought them to think for themselves. I think this is a very good game. No game is for everyone. Like I said try it yourself, that's what the demo is for.

BSHADOW
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by BSHADOW on Dec 19, 09 6:47 PM
Disappointed?? Offended?? It's just a game. Good grief! I'm not the least bit religious but I did not find anything offensive about it. Tarot cards and crystal balls do exist and I don't believe Satan himself promotes them. The guy was covered with a towel and anyway you should have been concentrating on the right sequence not the guys naked back or feet! It's this kind of thinking that is causing our kids to be afraid to even talk about their beliefs no matter what they are.

Sorry to jump on my soap box but when someone seems to think they should tell the entire world what's right and what's wrong I just get a little upset.

drummer1961
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by drummer1961 on Dec 23, 09 3:13 PM
I strongly disagree with you disappointed an offended--it's just a game. PLease keep your negative feelings to yourself, we don't need someone telling us whats right or wrong. I feel you're out of line and if you don't like the game---don't play it/ complain to customer service.............maybe you can get a refund.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Dec 23, 09 4:02 PM
I played this very recently and I never found any parts that explains this part of the OP --

"Jesus this, God that, we're all saved ... really, now.

People are offended by tarot cards? This is blantant religious. I don't play games on BFG to learn about Christianity."

I just didn't see any of that, I wouldn't have liked it myself for that matter but ... lol maybe they have two games confused?

U25150
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by U25150 on Feb 28, 10 10:31 AM
Mojave_Rain wrote:I played this very recently and I never found any parts that explains this part of the OP --

"Jesus this, God that, we're all saved ... really, now.

People are offended by tarot cards? This is blantant religious. I don't play games on BFG to learn about Christianity."

I just didn't see any of that, I wouldn't have liked it myself for that matter but ... lol maybe they have two games confused?

No, I didn't have two games confused.

U25150
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by U25150 on Feb 28, 10 10:35 AM
BSHADOW wrote:Disappointed?? Offended?? It's just a game. Good grief! I'm not the least bit religious but I did not find anything offensive about it. Tarot cards and crystal balls do exist and I don't believe Satan himself promotes them. The guy was covered with a towel and anyway you should have been concentrating on the right sequence not the guys naked back or feet! It's this kind of thinking that is causing our kids to be afraid to even talk about their beliefs no matter what they are.

Sorry to jump on my soap box but when someone seems to think they should tell the entire world what's right and what's wrong I just get a little upset.

I didn't tell the entire world what's right or wrong, I gave my opinion which I'm allowed to do. Kinda hard to miss the naked guy when he's right there ...

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Feb 28, 10 10:41 AM
I didn't find anything offensive about this game. The Socrates game was just a memory game. The fact that the playing field was a human being didn't bother me at all.
The games were all imaginitive and challenging.
I was no more offended by The Omniscient one than I was a talking mushroom.
It's fiction, meaning, it's not real.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Feb 28, 10 10:48 AM
Ladies and gents, lets not forget that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It takes different things to upset different people, and obviously, this game is not for her.

U25150, try contacting Customer Service and explaining how you feel about the game - ask them to remove it from your purchase history. They will work with you, they're lovely people. I have yet to have an experience with CS that did not leave me beaming.

[Post New]by songsmith2003 on Feb 28, 10 10:50 AM
I dislike religion shoved down my throat every bit as much as I dislike atheism (though, an argument can be made that atheism is its own religion). Neither Mushroom Age nor any of the myriad games based on the occult offend me because I have not found them blatant in that regard.

However, the OP has a right to his or her opinion. I've seen some strongly worded critiques of other games on here, too, be they complaints about dark overtones or game play or simply "This game sucks!"

So long as they don't expect me to have the same opinion as they do, I don't mind at all. BTW, I liked Mushroom Age (though found the mushrooms silly).

U25150
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by U25150 on Mar 5, 10 10:30 AM
Thank you songsmith2003 & genkicoll for your posts.

It appears that if you don't go along with the general consensus the piranhas magically appear. I've been contacted by numerous fishies who no longer post because of this exact thing. Which is a shame because the non-posters appear to be very nice people.

They may not take the abuse too well. Lucky for me, I do have thick skin & have no qualms about defending myself OR my opinion <--- (keywords there folks). There's a thing called tact when you disagree with a person's post (ex: songsmith's post). I may not be high in the posting ranks but when I do post in disagreement, I am considerate of others feelings.

As far as the game goes, I chalked it up to lesson learned.

I agree genkicoll, BFG's Customer Service rocks. There are other corporations out there that could take a lesson or two from them. There are a few people HERE who could take a lesson or two in manners as well.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Apr 12, 10 5:31 PM
I, too, agree with genkicoll and songsmith. Everyone has a right to their opinion. However, as a Christian, I do approve of the references to God and Jesus. I feel there should be equal representations of things each person believes in. With that being said, I do not believe in forcing any beliefs on anyone. Each person should feel free to express what they believe and be shown respect by others whether they share the belief or not. As someone once said, I may not agree with what you say but I will defend your right to say it. (That may not be a word-for-word exact quote).

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Apr 12, 10 5:41 PM
I was surprised to see this thread re-appear. So, I'll chime in.

I like this game. I find it upbeat, funny, engaging, and relaxing.

And I have a different perspective on the "religious" angle. I think that concern stems from the guy in the sky, right?

To me, it's humor, Monty Python style. When the guy in the sky says "all day, it's...this..and that..." it reminds me of a great Saturday Night Live sketch as well.

There's science, history, health,geometry, humor--just a lot of stuff.Heck, one section even is a great teaching tool for taking good care of your teeth!

So I guess that I'm in the minority--then again, I enjoy subtle humor. And I don't think that a game that winds up saying something about being nice to others is religious, nor do I think it's a bad thing. Some games have vampires, some games have lots of sword fights, some games have murders, etc.

To me, it's just a nice, well-done game.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Apr 12, 10 5:47 PM
Naked guy? Oh yea, the Socrates massage thingy. I have massages. I don't find them sexual or objectionable, even though I'm in my dainties under a sheet that gets moved around.

I was surprised to wind up giving Socrates a massage, but then again, he kinda came off as a spoiled prima donna--again, part of the sly humor, I think. The massage was mostly just a memory game, IMHO.

On a couple of beta tests that I've done, I've commented when I've seen that a female lead, a scientist or archaeologist, is shown in a low-cut top with her "girls" shoved up--an adolescent comic book style that added nothing to the games, the story, or the character, and I said so. That portrayal of independent women going through these adventures bothered me a lot more than massaging an old chubby guy.

Just my opinion.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Apr 12, 10 5:56 PM
I loved every minute of my demo of this game. I came very, VERY close to using my free game credit on this today, but chose Dracula Files at the last second. I am still going to buy Mushroom Age, without a doubt. I look forward to playing it again (and past the 1-hour point! )

Go to: