bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Destination: Treasure Island comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 4, 09 1:16 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

Edited on 10/04/2009 at 1:17:09 AM PST

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

Re:Destination: Treasure Island comments and reviews

[Post New]by LilyCat on Oct 4, 09 1:34 AM
I bought this game a while ago, and enjoyed it. Not too difficult, interesting puzzles (though I had to draft my husband in for some of the ones that involved numbers!) and great scenery. If you like this kind of large adventure game I'd recommend it.

pashdi
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by pashdi on Oct 4, 09 1:50 AM

I also bought this game some time ago. Its an excellent adventure game.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Oct 4, 09 6:20 AM
Yes, someone please answer cat's question. I still haven't completed Dracula Origin for that very reason. Even though I've got a printed out walkthrough, it's not much fun if you need it almost constantly.

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Oct 4, 09 6:28 AM
Thanks for the early reviews. I count so much on them for large file games. It looks like a game I would really like. Does it seem like one of those old pc disc games they have formatted for download or does it seem relatively modern?

thnx
Miss Clairol

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Oct 4, 09 6:35 AM
Morning, fishies. Two questions important to me re this game: Are the puzzles skippable? And does it have a timer anywhere in it?

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Oct 4, 09 6:41 AM
I was just reading the review at Gameboomers and it states not timed puzzles or action sequences, no sliders or mazes or sound puzzles and you cannot die. I think this is one I looked at a couple of years ago to buy but didn't want to pay 30 dollars for it. So as a lover of adventure games I will probably buy this one. Thanks BFG for another large file adventure!

ETA....I doubt you could skip puzzles as this is an adventure game not a HOG, but could be wrong as every game is different.

Edited on 10/04/2009 at 6:43:10 AM PST

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Oct 4, 09 6:51 AM
Thanks, Koalanut

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Oct 4, 09 7:03 AM
You're welcome Euskalduna! Also look at MaG's walkthrough there at Gameboomers as she also has a synopsis of gameplay at the beginning of the walkthrough. I always check her walkthrough too when deciding on whether or not this is one I think I would like to play because she usually explains the controls, inventory, etc at the beginning. I have learned the hard way that it is best to check the review there and the walkthrough before buying a 20-40 dollar game and I can't do the controls, the story just ain't my cup of tea, etc, etc. But it seems this game is like the Return to Mysterious Island type which is Kheops too, and I loved playing it so for 6.99, it is a great deal for me. Just waiting for the credit to come in today

darkstarr
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by darkstarr on Oct 4, 09 7:51 AM
I always check out the walkthrough, looks like another mysterious island to me, that was a frustrating game. No trial version, think I will same my money for joyville,
shame though I love anything tropical.

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Oct 4, 09 8:20 AM
It sounds like its an older game, are the graphics newer looking, I love the graphics on Puppet show, but some of the older games dont have very good ones, since there is no preview I hate to download such a big game and not like it. I cant even get past Dracula the very beginning, so the game is a big waste of money, I dont want to buy large file games if I cant play them.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Oct 4, 09 9:16 AM
Euskalduna wrote:Morning, fishies. Two questions important to me re this game: Are the puzzles skippable? And does it have a timer anywhere in it?

No timer.

Puzzles are NOT skippable, but you can check the Blog Walkthrough posted here at Big Fish Games if you need a puzzle solution to continue. Just click on the Try This Game link at the top of this page, then use the link to the Blog Walkthrough.

I enjoyed the game a lot and thought both the story and gameplay were well done. The game was first released on CD just two years ago. The look is quite similar to Return to Mysterious Island 2 (by the same studio). Some of the cut scenes are sepia-toned cartoon panels, but that's intentional, and they only occur in a few places. There are also a couple of animated cut scenes.

You can probably figure out most of the tasks from the in-game clues as long as you have all the objects you need.

The biggest issue I found was that the game is quite restrictive about some common objects. To give a hypothetical example (this is NOT a spoiler, just as an example of the issue that comes up), you might figure out you need a green leaf, but even though there are trees all over, there is only one tiny spot on the entire island where the game will let you collect green leaves. This happens with several different items in the game. Still, once you've figured out that spot, you can go there again and again easily.

The game has a really good navigation feature. Instead of having to make your character walk through 4 or 5 locations to go back and get something, there's a Map on the Inventory Screen that lets you instantly go between any two locations you've already unlocked. This becomes more and more helpful as the game goes along and you've unlocked more locations.

So most of the time rather than there being lots of walking back and forth, you just go to the Map, zip there, do whatever tasks you wanted to do, then use the Map to return.

Robin

Edited on 10/04/2009 at 9:40:33 PM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Oct 4, 09 9:28 AM
I did buy this game, and after I'd worked at it for half an hour it froze and I had an access violation message. Decided to try again as it froze before any game play was saved and same thing happened. Guess I'll never know if I liked this game or not.....................

[Post New]by Aingail on Oct 4, 09 9:31 AM
I just bought the game but it won't start. I click 'play now' and nothing happends. Does anyone else have the same problem?

craskehouse
Herring
Herring
393 Posts

[Post New]by craskehouse on Oct 4, 09 9:51 AM
I had trouble at the start where it froze.But i restarted and so far so good!

[Post New]by Aingail on Oct 4, 09 9:54 AM
Already tried restarting a couple of times, doesn't work

giggyann
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by giggyann on Oct 4, 09 10:45 AM
No trial no sale. Can't you just have like a 15 minute preview??
Oh well.
giggyann

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Oct 4, 09 11:00 AM
Thanks Robin, good review!

Edited on 10/04/2009 at 11:01:26 AM PST

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Oct 4, 09 11:04 AM
Perhaps it is not practical for some reason, but I agree that I would be happy with a preview of even a few minutes to have some idea about the game. I did check the blog walkthrough and the discussion about using/assembling/storing objects made me wonder if this aspect of the game is complicated. Maybe it is not and it just seems that way from the description. Sometimes explaining something is far more complicated than actually using it is. The problem with deciding whether or not to get a game based on someone else's opinion is that the person who is writing may have had a very different history of game experience from mine. Something the writer thinks is easy may be very difficult for me and the opposite might also be true, i.e. easy to me but difficult to the writer. Oh well, having to decide without a chance to play the game is always risky.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Oct 4, 09 11:16 AM
Thanks, Robin, good comments and reviews. I think I will try my hand at this game, sounds easy enough for me. Whenever I play a LF game, which I like because is long enough to last more than a regular adventure or HOG, is with misgivings because I am not very good at this kind of game, but with a little luck and walkthrough help, I might be able to get through it.

Go to: