bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Cake Mania Main Street comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 7, 09 1:11 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Cake Mania: Main Street. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Enjoy a wonderfully designed Time Management game full of zany and wacky characters that you surely won’t find elsewhere. In the fourth game from the Cake Mania series, you’ll be able to restore an entire town by baking cakes, making bouquets of flowers, frying burgers and even trying a hand at making sushi. The customers really add a great deal of fun to the game since they’re definitely not the norm and include everything from aliens to vampires. You’ll also enjoy amusing quips and jokes in the story boards for each shop you open up. Since the customers don’t get annoyingly impatient, and you can always give cookies to those on the verge of annoyance, you’ll be able to play the game without getting a headache. You are also able to upgrade most items you have, as well as the shops, so each level offers new abilities as well as challenges. There’s never a dull moment in Cake Mania: Main Street, so don’t waste any time and jump in to help restore the family owned businesses that thrived long ago!

Game Modes:
Although this game is only available in timed mode, you can still enjoy the game without feeling overwhelmed from stress. You can also play in 3D mode, full screen or windowed mode.

Depth:With four different shops to open and upgrade, you’ll have days upon days of gaming fun. Each shop has at least 20 levels so this game offers great depth and has high replay value.

Similar to:
Cake Mania: Main Street continues the story from Cake Mania 3, but since you now have multiple shops, it is also similar to Burger Shop 2 and Youda Sushi Chef.

Difficulty level:
This Time Management title is suitable for any experience level but will challenge a beginner player in the advanced levels.

Reviewed by L.D.

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

Re:Cake Mania Main Street comments and reviews

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Oct 7, 09 3:53 AM
l'm realy pleased this game finally arrived at BF.
D/L right now - comments later.

[Post New]by haileesmother on Oct 7, 09 5:06 AM
i got way too impatient i bought it from sandlot yesterday and when i came on BFG this morning i saw it there....kinda stinks because i would have used a credit to get closer to the free game...ah well, im sure there will be more than enough games ill use credits on, i have to get that free game, lol it has become a mission. this cake mania is one i will play again and again and the play is so laid back, my 6 yr old will be able to play and enjoy it, too im so happy there is a TM game that surpasses the rest.

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Oct 7, 09 5:38 AM
Just a quick warning for those with larger screens. My game was so pixelated it went into two screens and looked like one of the slider puzzles. Once I manually resized the screen it was fine. The game was enjoyable, I like that you get different things this time, it's not just cakes. I also like the new characters.

I'm on the fence with this one. I really enjoyed the game, but I don't know if I want yet another game I have to manually reset the screen for and back.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Oct 7, 09 5:54 AM
I bought my copy elsewhere too. I do not have any problem with my screen however I do have to turn the music back off every time I restart the game

I really like this addition to the series. The variety of the other shops makes the game interesting otherwise it would be same old. The flower shop is my favourite.
Being able to play the other shops when unlocked rather than finish all levels per shop is also a fun idea.
There are 25 levels per shop so 100 all up.

The purchasing of town monuments is another addition but one I personally could do without.
There are new customers to deal with.

I really enjoy the gameplay and variety Mainstreet offers and enjoying the game very much.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Oct 7, 09 7:59 AM
Sante's 2-Cents Worth!

Pros: This game is similar to the other Cake Maina TMGs in it's series -- take orders, assemble cakes from scratch, earn money, upgrade equipment, renovate shops. If you've played others in this series, what this offers that is different from the others is that you also work to revitalize the town as you go. All good!

Cons: After a couple of days "in the shop" it becomes the same old same old -- assemble, earn money, upgrade. Nothing new! After 35 minutes, I was totally bored.

Bottomline: I love TMGs, but for me, these cooking games all seem to follow the same gameplay routine. This one doesn't really seem to offer anything new. Don't think it's worth the game credit -- nothing really new, routine for this game format.

mahbah55
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,025 Posts

[Post New]by mahbah55 on Oct 7, 09 10:47 AM
Well, I'm a foodie, so I love restaurant and cooking games. I think Main Street is a great addition to the series. I love the different type of shops (burger, sushi), customers, and upgrades. This will be a definite purchase.

[Post New]by flutterby_dee on Oct 7, 09 4:30 PM
I had a lot of fun playing the demo - I was very sad when it was over! I really enjoy the variety, and I like having lots of different goals to work towards at once, rather than strictly linear play. I've always been a big fan of the Cake Mania series (was the first TMG I played, and I've been hooked ever since!), so this will definitely be a buy for me.

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Oct 7, 09 9:08 PM
govegril wrote:I bought my copy elsewhere too. I do not have any problem with my screen however I do have to turn the music back off every time I restart the game

I have a 32" screen so that may be a lot of my problem, that I want to upgrade to a 48" which will cause even more problems. At one time the games used to resize the screen which was great because it went back to the normal size after playing. Here lately they haven't been doing that, I don't know why they took away that feature? This way I have to resize the screen, then if I want to minimize to take a break or to look up something, my screen is all squirrely, so then I have to resize it, then remember to resize back to maximixe the game. I also have CRS so I never remember which ones I need to do that with, which means I usually open it, then have to soft boot out of the games, resize then go back. By then I'm frustrated and ready to quit. I don't have a problem with 90% of them they seem to just fit to whatever screen they're playing on. I just wish the ones that didn't would do the resizing like they used too. I have this problem with Be Rich, the first game does it all for me, great graphics. The second one i have to remember to manually resize first or the graphics look overstretched(blurring in spots), jagged and pixelated.

edit: Althought I realize a lot of it is the compression rate at which they save the image to make it smaller in size. I think there should be a reccomended screen size before we begin so we know...hope that makes sense.

Edited on 10/07/2009 at 9:11:47 PM PST

[Post New]by PrincessCoalby on Oct 7, 09 10:22 PM
I loved the other Cake Mania trials, so I bought one (since they're all basically the same) and I loved it. Yet....this new one did nothing for me. In fact I found it quite boring. The upgrading other stores and having a different type of game in there is great and I thought I'd love it, but they were so boring--reminded me of those real simplified games for kids. Ugh! So I will not be buying this one, even though I loved Cake Mania 1, 2 and 3.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 8, 09 8:19 AM
The cake mania series is one of my favourite! I have tried the new part for the trial time and love it. For sure, its really nothing new. But...who cares? I love this game. I give this game /

[Post New]by grubbmom on Oct 8, 09 9:04 AM
I can not seem to save on this game. I have saved three times and have to start all over again.

[Post New]by mcdeluna on Oct 8, 09 9:06 AM
I had the same problem with the game opening in two screens. I saw that some people said that they manually resized the screens, but I don't know how to do that. Could anyone help me? I downloaded the trial from another site and had no problems, only on this one. Thanks!

[Post New]by okletmewin12 on Oct 8, 09 9:33 AM
govegril wrote:... however I do have to turn the music back off every time I restart the game ...

hey gove, same here ... i don't turn music off but always lower volume almost every game i play ... and the game usually keeps your preferences ... but yep every time i start to play, first thing is off to options to reset volume ... only slightly irritating, wonder if they'll do a rebuild to fix it ...

govegril wrote:... The flower shop is my favourite ...

me too, favorite after the cake shop anyway

govegril wrote:... The purchasing of town monuments is another addition but one I personally could do without ...

me too

govegril wrote:... I really enjoy the gameplay and variety Mainstreet offers and enjoying the game very much. ...

me too

After reading your post I'm starting to wonder if we're twins!

tijhea
Salmon
Salmon
2,547 Posts

[Post New]by tijhea on Oct 8, 09 9:58 AM
FairyonPegasus wrote:
govegril wrote:I bought my copy elsewhere too. I do not have any problem with my screen however I do have to turn the music back off every time I restart the game

I have a 32" screen so that may be a lot of my problem, that I want to upgrade to a 48" which will cause even more problems. At one time the games used to resize the screen which was great because it went back to the normal size after playing. Here lately they haven't been doing that, I don't know why they took away that feature? This way I have to resize the screen, then if I want to minimize to take a break or to look up something, my screen is all squirrely, so then I have to resize it, then remember to resize back to maximixe the game. I also have CRS so I never remember which ones I need to do that with, which means I usually open it, then have to soft boot out of the games, resize then go back. By then I'm frustrated and ready to quit. I don't have a problem with 90% of them they seem to just fit to whatever screen they're playing on. I just wish the ones that didn't would do the resizing like they used too. I have this problem with Be Rich, the first game does it all for me, great graphics. The second one i have to remember to manually resize first or the graphics look overstretched(blurring in spots), jagged and pixelated.

edit: Althought I realize a lot of it is the compression rate at which they save the image to make it smaller in size. I think there should be a reccomended screen size before we begin so we know...hope that makes sense.

I agree I also have a 32 inch screen and go through the same problem.. with some games.. It can be a pain in the arse somtimes

shoelesshs
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by shoelesshs on Oct 8, 09 4:05 PM
My review after one hour demo:

Level: Medium, getting progressively harder. They give you a lot to do in the earlier levels.

Playability: Good. Other Cake Mania games tended to run slow on my computer, but I had no problems with this one. It loaded faster and didn't drag down during play. I did have some issues with the burger shop, buns not going on the trays when I wanted them to, but other than that it seemed okay. Also could not figure out how to serve tea to customers - ended up throwing away every cup I made.

Likes: Nice variety of shops - seems like several games in one. If you get bored with cakes, you can make burgers, flowers, etc. Like that a chaining bonus was added (speed-up bonus in the cake shop, for example). Like that you can cook burgers ahead and they don't burn once they are done. Hippie who will eat anything is a great way to earn $$.

Dislikes: Takes too long to earn enough money to buy upgrades. I still don't like it when certain characters affect other characters - I have enough to think about without being everyone's mommy as well! Wish you could put the tea back on the machine if you can't serve it to someone - you have to throw it away before you can pick anything else up.

Recommendations: If you are doing the 1hour trial, buy the new shops as soon as they are available. I didn't and kept playing the cake shop, and I didn't get to serve any flowers Make burgers ahead of time and make the hippie take the most expensive things in the shop (double decorated cakes, for example).

Will I buy it? Definite maybe list! I've had issues with previous Cake Mania games, but this one seems to be well worth the value for the variety you get. I don't think I'd get bored with this too soon.

ahsten75
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by ahsten75 on Oct 9, 09 8:52 PM
I really like the Cake Mania series and liked the fact that they have different stores to play.

I played the demo and found a glitch: finding the spot to click on the "play," "continue", and so on buttons. I had to click all over to get it to start, continue or whatever -- a bit of a pixel hunt. The start button worked if I put the cursor just below it and the continue button worked only if I clicked on the right side of the button. A bit frustrating... so I don't know if I actually want to buy it.

I have CM 1 and have had no problems with it.

[Post New]by LawMama on Oct 10, 09 7:27 AM
Love the game...Enjoy the different shops. Only drawback is the constant freezing. I hope to finish this game...please fix the freezing problem.

[Post New]by grubbmom on Oct 10, 09 12:31 PM
Do not buy this game! Will not save have done what the said still will not save. Also freezes up on you in the hamburger level.

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Oct 10, 09 7:28 PM
I love it but be warned that hippie only pays a few dollars so don't give him anything expensive. Useful if you have something you need to get rid of - e.g. have four burgers and no chicken so give him a cooked pattie or at sushi need to cook a prawn but have two cooked salmon give him a salmon or wait for a chef or vampire to change him (but don't wait too long).

Would love some other shops as only having food and flowers won't make the town survive - need clothes, banks etc. and I am sure the creators can find a way to get them in there.

Go to: