bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reincarnations: Awakening comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 9, 09 1:08 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Reincarnations: Awakening. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Channel the journalist within to get the scoop and learn more about your past lives in doing so. As with other games in this genre, this Hidden Object and Adventure title offers the ability to collect inventory items that you must use to advance later in the game. What sets this game apart is that the Hidden Object scenes are created with wonderful images and the objects are seamlessly hidden without the use of dark corners, so there’s no need to prepare for long term squinting. The mini-games are challenging and can be quite puzzling, but you always have the ability to skip over them to continue on your way. Set aside the immersive game play and you still have an enthralling storyline that is cohesive with all aspects of the game. You know why you’re there, what you’re doing and everything in the game makes sense to push you onward in your quest. Reincarnations: Awakening takes game play to a higher level with a captivating cinematic experience that leaves you spellbound!

Game Modes:
No need to stress about playing fast with this game because there is no timer to taint your experience. Also, to go along with the usual abilities to play in full screen, wide screen or windowed mode, you can opt out of the custom cursor as well.

Depth:
Get your popcorn ready and prepare yourself for hours of engaging gaming where you get to explore your past lives, dig up clues and solve puzzles. And that just skims the surface of this incredibly detailed game which will keep you glued to your chair for hours of entertainment.

Similar to:
Reincarnations: Awakening has similar game play and even comparable themes to Strange Cases: The Tarot Card Mystery, PuppetShow: Mystery of Joyville and Drawn: The Painted Tower.

Difficulty level:
This Hidden Object title is more difficult than most, but can be played by any level of gamer since you are able to skip puzzles and there is a reloadable hint system set up within the game.

Reviewed by L.D.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:Reincarnations: Awakening comments and reviews

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Oct 9, 09 1:53 AM
Just came to buy the game with 3 minutes left on the demo. I've played through the opening sequences and 2 of the 5 "reincarnations" in that time, so though I expect this will be on the short side (2-3 hours of play for me) it is a well crafted game worth my $7.

Graphics are pleasing and clear. Music is unobtrusive and pleasant. The voice acting is not toooo bad, tho no academy awards pending. The cut scenes are skippable, but I never do.

A hybrid hidden object adventure inventory puzzler with semi-junkpile hidden object screens that also require some interaction to uncover list items - open drawers, water plants, that sort of thing. You are given clues (more than I'd like actually) about what you need to do for both those items and for the inventory puzzles that result from found "special" objects. The tasks are not too difficult to figure out even without the clues so this may seem too easy for some. I don't mind it. I just avoid mousing over stuff to figure it for myself. Some nice mini-games, some very easy some more difficult. Instructions on minis somewhat minimal, more explained if you ask for a hint. Mini-games are skippable with a wait before you can do so. Also endless refillable hints on hidden object hunts.

All in all a well crafted game, pleasing puzzles, graphics and engaging adventure storyline. I'm enjoying it. Poodlebear Approved!

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Oct 9, 09 2:09 AM
Good enough for me, Poodlebear! Unlike so many games which promise so much, with lovely graphics and interesting-sounding themes, this one does seem to deliver. Oh well, one nearer my Oktoberfest six!

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Oct 9, 09 2:19 AM
i played the demo and finished the doctors office and the first reincarnation when my demo was up, so of course i had to buy it. graphics are gorgeous, music not too bad. the hints are rechargeable and the skip button is also rechargeable if you want to skip the mini games. the mini games are a variety and are different, as of yet only had to skip 1 mini game because i couldn't figure it out. it took an hour and a half to finish 2 reincarnations and i believe their are 5, overall a great game, one that i would highly recommend

i give it 1/2

i posted this in the other reviews thread

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Oct 9, 09 3:12 AM
Update: Working on my last reincarnation and need to take a break, so yep, I'll finish in under 3 hours, but it's been very enjoyable so still definitely worth approval imo. For those to whom duration is essential, though, this might be too short.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 9, 09 3:32 AM
I have tried this game for the trial time and I love it! The graphics are great, the music is okay and the story is also good. I have bought it and can highly recommend it! /

michelle_hdpc
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by michelle_hdpc on Oct 9, 09 5:40 AM
Downloading now, sounds like a purchase for me! My favorite are HOGI, with great graphics, can't wait

memaw7
Marlin
Marlin
8,628 Posts

[Post New]by memaw7 on Oct 9, 09 6:56 AM
Thanks Fishies, another one in my Octoberfest basket

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Oct 9, 09 6:58 AM
General: This is an IHOG. Game is untimed. Storyline is interesting. You can choose to play with the tutorial or not; if you don't want a lot of "hand holding" I would recommend turning tutorial off, as the "help" seems to go on for the entire game.
Graphics/Sound: Graphics are simply outstanding, from the active scenes to the cut scenes to the spoken dialogue (I loved the professor's accent!). Soundtrack was wonderful.
HOG scenes: Average difficulty. There are interactive elements within the HOG scene which are listed in orange. These are items that are either hidden, or are only revealed after you do something else. At the completion of the HOG scene you receive an inventory item. Random clicks cause the cursor to freeze for a few seconds.
Interactive elements: Outside of a HOG scene the cursor changes to a hand or a magnifying glass where there is something further to see or do. Some things simply go into the inventory to be used later, and some things are puzzles to be completed. If you are unsure of what to do in an "interactive" scene you can click on your diary and go under "tasks" to see what needs to be done.
Mini-games: Average difficulty. The usual games I've seen before; nothing new. Puzzles can be skipped but the skip meter needs to be charged first.
Hint system: Hints are unlimited but need time to recharge. Using a hint draws a circle around the location.
Length/replayability: According to the walkthrough there are 6 levels to play through including the introduction and the "reincarnations". I got through the intro level and 1 reincarnation during my demo, but I also had to stop a few times. I would say this game could be a bit on the short side, but the quality of it outweighs the short length. HOG lists do change on replay but the interactive items in the HOG scenes stay the same.
Overall: This is a must buy for me. . I think the game was brilliantly done, is a pleasure to look at and is a lot of fun to play.

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Oct 9, 09 7:58 AM
I am happy to see our favourite reviewers were up and at it bright and early this morning. Going to go try it now.

thanxs
Miss Clairol

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

DID'NT KEEP ME AWAKE

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Oct 9, 09 8:44 AM
SORRY...BUT..IT DID'NT....PRETTY BASIC HOG...I LOVE HOG, BUT PREFER SOME ADVENTURE...THESE GAMES HAVE BEEN FEW TO NONE...THE CHOICES HAVE BEEN TERRIBLE...THIS WEEK....HAS BEEN REALLY BAD..NOTHING WORTH BUYING GUYS...WHEN WILL HAVE SOMETHING EXCITING TO PLAY ? WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO ?

thecatspjs
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by thecatspjs on Oct 9, 09 8:52 AM
Thanks, Poodlebear and Sillyfeet. I'm downloading this game now and looking forward to playing it. I really appreciate the thorough reviews and like to know that I'm not wasting my time or going to be really disappointed with a game. Keep up the good work!

snoopy13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by snoopy13 on Oct 9, 09 9:12 AM
2-3 hours for Poodlebear = 2-3 weeks for me! Downloading now!

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Oct 9, 09 9:39 AM
thanks for the reviews, the game sounds like a good one and downloading at the moment, so hopefully a good evenings playing for me

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Oct 9, 09 9:42 AM
Note to all: If you turn the tutorial off at the start of the game you don't get those annnoying "what to do" messages when you mouse over something that is interactive. I think you still do get "hints" in the form of pop up messages, but not as many. But you have to turn the tutorial off from the start b/c there is no way to turn it off from within the game.

irishgreen
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by irishgreen on Oct 9, 09 10:21 AM
Just finished the demo on this and only did 1 door out of 5. So me me a decent length of game play. On the fence about buying though, I had just finished puppetshow and loved it.
This one was okay but on my maybe list. Could have been that I clicked on tutorial in the beginning and like sillyfeet says, you can't shut it off in the middle of the game, it helps you all the way through and I would rather figure some things out for myself.

gemangus
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by gemangus on Oct 9, 09 11:35 AM
a very big plus for me is that it runs perfectly on my old computer! lately, that hasnt always been the case.

i dont think it is terribly exciting and the mini games seem a little easy (at least in the first life) buti will buy it

[Post New]by sassywenchone on Oct 9, 09 12:10 PM
I'm in the third door, the magician. I have completed all tasks except picking up the map piece on the fortune teller. No matter how I click, I can't pick it up. What to do, please?

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Oct 9, 09 12:12 PM
Sante's 2-Cents Worth!

I played 35 minutes of the game and enjoyed it greatly. I completed the first door and didn't skip any of the mini games. This game has a couple of things that I really like -- HOs and interaction with mini-games to top it off. The scenes are good and graphics are a plus. There is no timing in the game, so we can relax, play and enjoy. It seems like the most recent games come without a time option. Not sure this is pro or con. Who cares? . I put this at the easy to medium level of game play. Objects are fairly easy to find and the interactions are not difficult. I'm putting this in my basket for October purchase. 4- out of 5 for good graphics, diversity of game play and interesting storyline. Another thumb if the game was just a little more challenging, but worth the money.

20TN40
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by 20TN40 on Oct 9, 09 12:16 PM
sillyfeet wrote:Note to all: If you turn the tutorial off at the start of the game you don't get those annnoying "what to do" messages when you mouse over something that is interactive. I think you still do get "hints" in the form of pop up messages, but not as many. But you have to turn the tutorial off from the start b/c there is no way to turn it off from within the game.

Thanks Silly! As you and Poodle mentioned, I'd rather have a little less hand holding. Will probably make the game last a while longer. Great reviews fellow fishes! I've had to work so much lately, I'm actually about three days behind on checking out the new games but Reincarnations just seemed so Halloweeny that I downloaded it while I slept! LOL

Go to: