bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Delaware St. John: The Town with No Name comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 10, 09 1:07 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Delaware St. John volume 2: The Town with No Name. We're sure you have comments you would like to share with the community. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the discussion!

Comments:
Continuing the story of Delaware St. John, Volume 2 has Delaware entering a mysterious abandoned town that is not listed on any map. Some story elements from the first volume continue here, but the stories are new with all new mysteries and locations for Delaware to work through as he unravels what has happened in this town. Players will encounter many ghosts, both friend and foe, in a very creepy atmosphere. I can’t stress enough how great the atmosphere is in this game if you like creepy locations…it really feels like an abandoned town that no one has set foot in for years. Search for clues in a movie theater and an orphanage in two separate but related cases, find the items you need to progress, and free the spirits trapped in the living world. The writing and music is great, and the graphics are realistic yet simple. If this game has any flaws it’s that it occaisionally gives hints that are less than helpful and the player can get stuck going over every inch of a location a second time to find the next clue. Overall it’s a great adventure game that should keep fans entertained to the end!

Game Modes:
Delaware St. John volume 2: The Town with No Name only has an Untimed mode.

Depth:
This game is about Medium length, consisting of two related adventures.

Similar to:
Delaware St. John volume 2: The Town with No Name is in a similar vein as the Sherlock Holmes series of games and the first Delaware St. John game.

Difficulty level:
While Delaware St. John, Volume 2 can be a challenge if you are new to Adventure games, most people familiar with the genre will find it to be be fairly average.

Reviewed by R.R.

Edited on 10/10/2009 at 1:08:39 AM PST

irishlou
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

Re:Delaware St. John: The Town with No Name comments and reviews

[Post New]by irishlou on Oct 10, 09 1:39 AM
When I saw the game on the BF page this morning I thought, great, my kind of game. I then read the comments from the first game in the series and thought, hopefully the people who made the game will have taken all those comments on board. NO, they haven't. Loooooooooong intro and dialogue before you get to any "action". I then wandered up and down the high street to the oil tanker and back, then past a few buildings with locked doors before deciding to uninstall the demo. Not for me, anyway I am far to busy today watching paint dry to have the time to waste playing this one.

Edited on 10/10/2009 at 2:26:17 AM PST

Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Oct 10, 09 2:36 AM
I opened the game and went directly to the tutorial. The dialogue is printed on the screen, evidently there is a voice that goes along with it because the cursor does not work for quite a while, that is, until the voice stops talking. At least that is what I think happens because it takes so long for the cursor to work. The game is useless to any people that cannot hear or that don't use speakers on their computer. One has to "listen" to sounds. In my opinion, the game is not worthwhile without sound.

Edited on 10/10/2009 at 2:37:21 AM PST

[Post New]by boweda on Oct 10, 09 3:36 AM
Oh boy....... downloaded the trial, had a good look around only found locked doors, did find the umberella but only by chance, got into the cinema, saw afew ghosts but when you try to tape,photo anything you cant because by the time you have control of the curser they have gone,very very frustrating, am giving up will not be buying this. Come on BF this is not up to your normal standards.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Oct 10, 09 4:09 AM
I thought the first one was terrible and from the sound of things nothings changed. I'm not going to bother with the demo.

uwflossi
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by uwflossi on Oct 10, 09 4:39 AM
Hallo fishies, I dl this game. Played the demo five minutes, deleted the game. I do not want to go through dark rooms, round and round and round. only closed doors, finding things by chance. No, I am really disappointed. Nevertheless: Happy gaming from Germany.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Oct 10, 09 5:41 AM
i didn't bother with the first one; downloaded it but read the comments while that was going on, and deleted it without even trying. This is one area in which I feel we aren't being heard by BF. The endless seek and find nothing, bounce off the walls, and endlessly, frustratingly, wandering aimlessly about just can't be major sellers. I may give this one a try someday...when there is nothing else available anywhere. I checked the walkthrough and it really doesn't sound like it would be that interesting. Find one coin on a seat in a theater??? and then move on? Not for me. But I am sure there are those who will love it and rave on. And that is ok. Different strokes for different folks. But I really, really was hoping for this to be good. The premise sounds so interesting, but I guess the delivery doesn't deliver.

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Oct 10, 09 5:58 AM
Tried 1st one and un-installed after 1/2 hr. Tried this one; can't skip/fast forward dialogue, couldn't seeanyplace to exit; had to shut down comp to exit. Tried again looking for windowed mode; not there! Tried to exit by doing alt./ escape, still had voice running. I had to close out by doing alt/f4. In 7 minutes I had gotten to the road leading to the Town With No Name.! As you can guess; un-installed!. My trip to the dump today was more interesting.

Anyone who likes it and can play it; I hope you enjoy the game.

tribrach
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by tribrach on Oct 10, 09 6:13 AM
Not only is this game just as frustrating as the first one...( the long long intro. that can't be jumped , the endless trying door handles that are locked or jammed, what a surprise!! )but just out of curiosity I chose to ignore that & run with it...Shouldn't have bothered, because after about 25 minutes, guess what? The game came to an abrupt end & I was asked to....(yes you've guessed I'm sure) BUY, if I wanted to continue.
No way am I wasting my money on something like this , there's got to be something better just around the corner...fingers crossed.

A1psyko
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by A1psyko on Oct 10, 09 6:41 AM
What a loser!! I downloaded the trial, spent 10 minutes listening to dialogue that you can't skip, then watching credits that should be after the game. I found the umbrella, did get in to one building through a window only to find all doors locked. I found a key in the restroom but it was in the toilet and he wouldn't get the key because the water was dirty. No towels or anyway to pick up the key. Very very boring. I read one remark that said they had to go cause they were watching paint dry. I agree. This game isn't a game, it is a loser. . BigFish should review this one first. I am deleting the game.

Edited on 10/10/2009 at 6:45:08 AM PST

chick52
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by chick52 on Oct 10, 09 8:05 AM
After reading the reviews I dont think I'll even bother.
Thanks anyway.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Oct 10, 09 8:10 AM
Agree with all the comments. Lasted about 10 minutes. Won't bother again.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 10, 09 8:15 AM
CYNTHIA wrote: couldn't see any place to exit; had to shut down comp to exit.

Lol, in adventure games you always exit the game by clicking on the ESC button, or move the cursor to the upper screen.

Edited on 10/10/2009 at 8:16:35 AM PST

aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by aalaurie on Oct 10, 09 8:30 AM
I agree with all of the above, but am looking for some kind of walkthrough or at least a "set-up" as BFG does at the beginning of the walkthroughs to orient the player in time and space. Right now, I am bewildered, but game to try with a little help. I did not have any trouble exiting the game as I clicked on the blank square in the bottom middle of the control panel and it took me out right away.

Hope someone "cracks" the shell on this game as it might prove interesting if only I knew what I was doing.

Do love BFG however, and they have provided me with hours and hours of fascinating play. Keep up the good work, even if this one doesn't seem to fit the bill.

Edited on 10/10/2009 at 8:33:17 AM PST

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Oct 10, 09 8:53 AM
Hello Fishies. I tried the first one, and thought that it was pretty bad, this one has not improved -- too much dialogue before you can even get into to game, too much wondering around (and no place to go ), too much moving from screen to screen without having any real since of where the heck you're going. To top it off, once you're into the game, there is still too much talking and no action. Played for 35 minutes, hoping that it would peek my interest, no go! Aside for the halfway OK graphics, this game still needs some work. And to come out with the second one before making needed changes based upon previous feedback -- not good!
4- out of 5. They at least had OK graphics.

HighlandMax
Manatee
Manatee
3,824 Posts

[Post New]by HighlandMax on Oct 10, 09 9:06 AM
After playing and completeting Ghost Town Mysteries: Bodie, I feel I can play any game. So, I will get this one. I played the first Delaware with no problems, I can play this one too. But first I will finish yesterdays TGT, Reincarnation, and then download the demo for this one.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Oct 10, 09 9:13 AM
I didn't like the previous one and this is more of the same, which I think is really bad. Did the game designers not listen to feedback from gamers with the first one?

Oneaddie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Oneaddie on Oct 10, 09 9:18 AM
Love Big Fish, Hate this game!!

SKYEBLUETOO
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by SKYEBLUETOO on Oct 10, 09 10:15 AM
Total waste of time !! Just awful, boring, dark & dingy.
Even the walkthrough is boring, dark & dingy. YUCK !

[Post New]by wendylosangeles on Oct 10, 09 10:16 AM
so I haven't even been able to play this yet. I installed, got through the (long) intro and got the the start of the game. then the screen went black. I can hear kelly and see the pic, but the screen is black...have uninstalled and am currently re-installing...hmmmm

Go to: