bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Curse of the Pharaoh: Tears of Sekhmet comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 11, 09 1:24 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

flo314ca
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

Re:Curse of the Pharaoh: Tears of Sekhmet comments and reviews

[Post New]by flo314ca on Oct 11, 09 2:43 AM
I just finished this demo and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. I love HOGs that add objects that are interactive. Some parts were slightly easy such as when you're looking for parts of the mask it will tell you when your cursor goes over it. Sometimes, the items on the list felt a little predictable- I could pick out some of the objects without looking at the list. I felt like the game wasn't going to end anytime soon which was nice. Probably the only thing I don't like is having to go into the same rooms over and over in a single level. Doesn't have the best graphics, but it was fine for the game. I like that you get coins that you can use in the store. I didn't even get to any levels where I could use the hammer or the oxygen tank yet which makes me believe that there is a lot more of the game to go.

No plans to buy this game immediately because it kept me playing, but I wasn't that excited to play. Not like Reincarnations which I bought right away yesterday.

Not bad, but not great.

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Oct 11, 09 4:03 AM
waiting for poodlebear to give an opinion!! x x

kbebe
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

[Post New]by kbebe on Oct 11, 09 5:03 AM
I ws able to download game but when I click play nothing happens........HELP?

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Oct 11, 09 6:10 AM
This is a long-awaited sequal. I am glad to see Anubis again, he is my favorite part of these games - LOL!

I did find the objects in this episode especially small and sometimes difficult to distinguish. I actually need more Hints as a result and ran out of them. As in the last game, you can get extra Hints by catching Anubis as he darts across the screen. You can also buy extra Hints and other items in the Store. My problem was that the objects were mostly too small for me. Although i was able to catch Anubis I still needed more Hints. You must find the 3 coins in each scene to accumulate money. I was able to buy only one Hint and I needed two so I am stuck. I did get a laugh though. I started just clicking on everything. Some items I could not tell what they were. Were they what I needed? The lights went out! Not to worry, I had a little spot of light. This should actually have made finding things easier because I could only see a few at a time. Did not help me though. I am stuck. I also can't find the third coin in the scene I am in.

I'd like to have this game because I do enjoy it and because I want to continue the story but unless I can find a way to get unstuck, I am afraid I am finished and I am only a short way into the game.

I think this is actually the third game by this company that has the Egyptian theme and uses Anubis as a device and also the coins. I enjoyed the previous game(s). I suggest you try the Demo in order to make up your mind.

nina07
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by nina07 on Oct 11, 09 8:21 AM
OK gamers this is a great HOG. I really like the ones that speak through the games however reading is good practice also. Remember you can't please all the people all the time. This is a great game for the HOG gamer who loves old fashion graphics and thoses big bad Pharaoh story lines. GOOD JOB .

hcopter51
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by hcopter51 on Oct 11, 09 8:58 AM
nina07 wrote:OK gamers this is a great HOG. I really like the ones that speak through the games however reading is good practice also. Remember you can't please all the people all the time. This is a great game for the HOG gamer who loves old fashion graphics and thoses big bad Pharaoh story lines. GOOD JOB .

Have to agree..The last one left me wanting more and this one satisfies...Only thing I have a small problem with is going thru the rooms twice, but I can live with that as I love these games...Now BFG, hurry up with a sequel to Puppetshow please.....

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Oct 11, 09 9:18 AM
Bought it without the demo. Played the first two and loved them. This one is just as good. Same method of play. I love to wait for Wipi to appear at the side of the screen to get extra hints. Very good game.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Oct 11, 09 9:39 AM
I've played about 20 minutes of the demo and came here to see what others are saying. Mixed feelings for me - I like the game play pretty much, enjoy the interactive bits and for the most part find the objects easy to find. However I don't like having to return to the same areas, particularly because there's no reason given for why I am doing this. I am escaping a place at the beginning, why would I back-track? It just feels like padding.

The graphics are fine, if not wonderful. The music is good but is an a loop that just stops at some point rather suddenly, so I found that distracting. The items, at least the ones you're looking for are area appropriate which I like, though I was seeing some odd things for an Egyptian tomb, like a toy train and a bowler hat, in the junk-pile.

The story is nicely fleshed out which is a plus for me, but may be an irritation for others. Personally I prefer the written dialog to badly voice acted, so I'm fine with that as well.

Mostly listed hidden object scenes with a small amount of interactivity and mini-games and Spot the Difference. The one mini I've run across in the Egyptian Tomb (which I completed in 20 minutes and am on to England) was a very simple tile swap.

I do love Anubis popping up and I like the additional things to find like the coins and mask pieces in the Tomb. I have managed without difficulty to collect all these things and have not needed a hint yet, so for me so far this has not proved terribly challenging.

If I'm going to love a game I know withing the first 10 minutes or so and am enthralled until the demo runs out, or I just come and buy right away. This one, however, I left surprised to find I'd only played 20 minutes, it seemed longer. While it is a fine game with some interesting points for me it is just not terribly engaging. So no full approval, but probably worth my $7 and definitely worth:

emmismom
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by emmismom on Oct 11, 09 9:56 AM
Will not download- keep getting errors, have uninstalled and reinstalled - any ideas?

woodentot
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,391 Posts

[Post New]by woodentot on Oct 11, 09 9:59 AM
This going to be a keeper for me. I love Amubis popping up, great to see him again.

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Oct 11, 09 12:28 PM
Poodlebear , where were you all day?

As it frequently happens, I was plating the demo,
someone rang the doorbell, I got sidetracked....and poof,
the demo time was over.
I was waiting for your review.

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Oct 11, 09 12:35 PM
YAY!! I love this games and will most certainly buy it.

Hints: You get 3 or 4 to start but it is easy to get more. I love clicking on Wipi to get another hint. He shows up about once a scene.

You can also get more hints by spending the coins - it takes 6 coins to buy a hint. That is 2 scenes of coins for 1 hint.

The hints are nicely presented too: Wipi runs across the screen and points it out to you.

No timer. Too much clicking gets you a dark screen which you have to inspect with a small flashlight beam. The tutorial says the darkness lasts longer the more you click. I only got it once as a test to see what happened and it lasted a few seconds.

Most of the items are appropriate to the story (canopic jars, scarabs) but a minority are off-the-wall. I had NO problems with items being incorrectly described - a nice change from many recent games. There are a few dark scenes, but overall the objects are average to find - maybe slightly on the easy side.

I finished two chapters (called "worlds" here) in 45 minutes. The first did not recover any of the tears, so I would guess there are 8 chapters (7 tears plus the intro). That works out to about 3 hours of play.

I do not like the spoken dialog, so the text was good for me. You can skip the story portions. The music is appropriate to the story but not especially engaging.

There has been one "find the differences" in each chapter. Those are not my favorite part of any game, but these were not too difficult. There was no "cheating" - a slightly different shape to a crack or a slightly different fold in fabric - those drive me crazy. One minigame so far, not too hard.

The tutorial can be turned off at any time in the game. It is useful at first for tricks specific to this game - the coins and masks for example. It is not intrusive after the first scene.

The interactive is reasonably easy - as an earlier poster said, your cursor changes and a description appears where you need to use something. I did not mind returning to the rooms. The tasks were different ("find 10 sphinx" instead of a list). Once you move on to a new city, the rooms all change. I agree that it was sometimes hard to figure out why you were leaving or revisiting a room, but just ignore the fact that you have been there before.

/

for the historical aspect, good interface and Wipi. (has to be Madame Fate quality to get a 5 from me)

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Oct 11, 09 12:55 PM
Thought I would pipe in with for this game. No, it's not as fancy shmansie as Joyville or Reincarnation, but I really enjoyed the last one and the demo made me remember what a good time I had with that one that I bought this one. It's just a fun game with a decent story that will keep me entertained for a decent length of time.

Kudos on this game, as well as the series. A lovely way to spend a Sunday!

Corie

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Oct 11, 09 1:51 PM
Terrific game! Some areas hard to see but I like the variety of using coins, ****, and other types of puzzles. Other than the dark areas, I thought the graphics were fine and I enjoyed the last of this series and am happy to see another one.--(but boy, that brother is weird)

Charkbite
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Charkbite on Oct 11, 09 2:01 PM
88blyth wrote:waiting for poodlebear to give an opinion!! x x

See, poodles, I'm not the only one who favors your input!

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Oct 11, 09 3:30 PM
I like this game and I, too, like the Anubis popping up every once in awhile. It's cute.
The graphics are nice and well lit, unless you click too much, and the scenes are colorful. Overall, it seems to be a relatively easy game, at least it was for the duration of the trial. I may buy this one later. Right now, I've got my mind on the puppet one. (By the way, does anyone know how long this game is?)

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 12, 09 4:25 AM
It was OK but obviously not a memorable keeper; when I saw this was 3rd in a series I d/l the 1st 2 & lo & behold, my trials had expired. So I guess it didn't make a huge impression on me before. Scenes were very dark & I was irritated at not being able to leave until I found the 3rd coin up in the rafters or wherever. Well, technically you could leave, but it's not considered finishing the level & eventually you have to go back & find it or you cannot advance to the next level. Also didn't care for not being able to skip the mini-game w/o using 12 coins up to "buy a hammer" (& not get the pleasure of smashing those irksome lights with it LOL). That was 2 hints' worth of coins & with it so dark & looking for tiny little things like hieroglyphics & fingerprints & one scene per level being a spot the difference, I did need some & kept missing Anubis popping in. Sucker's too fast if you're on the opposite side of the screen. I think all that tedious coin searching should've given an extra hint as well. I also didn't like how much repetition there was in scenes at the start for no apparent reason. I expected if I found a scarab to slide open the tomb, revealing stairs, it would actually lead somewhere new right away (maybe it will later in the game if they return there). I'm a speed reader so I do prefer that to badly done voices. I think the Egyptian theme has been done to death, though. There are other historical eras.

If there weren't so many better HOGs that I want, I'd consider buying because I only got to Paris (level 3) so it seems like the length is bang for your buck considering there's 5 more tears to find (Anna has one & so does Will & 7 total).

Anyone notice those are the names of the characters in Hide & Secret as well? Which came out 1st?

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Oct 12, 09 5:42 AM
Just finished this game and enjoyed it, fun and not too difficult. I had played the first two in the series and liked those too. Nice way to while away a Sunday afternoon

granraven3
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by granraven3 on Oct 12, 09 11:21 AM
I downloaded it today and it says I've already finished my 60 minute demo! OK, I suppose it is possible for me to make a mistake like that. I could have downloaded it yesterday, played it for an hour and completely forgotten about it. Nah, don't think so! But. . . I went to look at the shots of the game and now I know for sure that I did NOT play this game! Let alone for 60 minutes.

Help anyone know what's up with that?

Go to: