dog2007
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

The Story (May Contain Spoilers)

[Post New]by dog2007 on Nov 2, 15 11:25 AM
Ok my memory is fading....who was Tanatos?

What I recall from the games is:

Charles married Emma who became sick and was tended to by Rose. Rose is a descendant of the wife of the pirate from 13 Skulls. She had the three children and all 4 women were killed by Charles. In the second RH Charles tries to become immortal with help from Victor and escapes in a time machine. He builds that underground replica of his childhood in Escape (the only one I don't play...too dark and morbid). I remember his father is shown in one of them talking to Charles and saying it's time for another lesson. And in this one the other secrets are revealed and there is some kind of hint after the credits so I don't think this is the last visit to RHM....

That is all I know but other facts from the other games I can't recall....I know Alister kills Fate and says you will never take my Rose...unless that was Charles...which leads me to believe Alister somehow knew Rose....what happened in the other games and how it connects I'm not so sure about...

If anyone can fill in the blanks I'd appreciate it

And I know the first 3 games were simply building a reputation and assisting the Queen....Ravenherst and Fate's Carnival was the "real" start to this story and the pieces are given in each game...I'm just missing a few lol

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

Re:The Story (May Contain Spoilers)

[Post New]by read61 on Nov 2, 15 5:38 PM
As far as I can recall, Charles and Emma never married; he proposed and she refused him. He caused her to get sick so he could take her in and "look after" her. He employed Rose Somerset to take care of her and be her companion. After killing Emma, he imprisoned Rose and her two daughters in the underground "town" he created and he fathered Victor with Rose. Eventually he killed both Rose and her daughters and relied on Victor to keep him alive. I think Charles' mother was Abigail, the daughter of the pirate in 13 Skulls. Between Alister and Abigail it's no wonder that Charles turned out the way he did! After playing EFR I almost felt a little sorry for him - almost.

I have no idea who this Tanatos character is. I am guessing something to do with Black Magic and Alisters' attempts to become immortal.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 2, 15 10:06 PM
Thanks so much.
The story line is so convoluted, and it is great to have someone tie it all together.

KDlala
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by KDlala on Nov 2, 15 11:49 PM
Tanatos is Alistair's raven. His familiar, for lack of a better word. Basically, when you see a raven with red glowing eyes in one of the games, it's either Tanatos or a raven controlled by Tanatos.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 3, 15 4:48 PM
I keep wanting to "correct" the spelling of the Raven's name from Tanatos to Thanatos. They are so close, I feel certain that we are meant to associate the bird with Death anyway.

dog2007
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by dog2007 on Nov 3, 15 6:38 PM
OH ok...missed that the name was the raven...thanks

Hmm....I thought Rose the relative...but it could have been Charles' mother...I've gotta go back and play from the start some time (and I don't play EFR so I'll find it on YT)

I've also got a "bug" with the earlier games...from HV to MF the full screen won't go full screen...parts are cut off and I have to reduce my resolution to even come close to full....

I think BF should create a book or something that explains the story because it is hard to keep all the info straight through all the stories...especially since they come out once a year (roughly...I got hooked in 2012 so no idea how long they were out or what was out up to that point...)

Thanks though...it helps sort a few things out

KDlala
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by KDlala on Nov 3, 15 11:07 PM
tookat wrote:I keep wanting to "correct" the spelling of the Raven's name from Tanatos to Thanatos. They are so close, I feel certain that we are meant to associate the bird with Death anyway.

I do the exact same thing XD

begwood1
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
442 Posts

[Post New]by begwood1 on Nov 4, 15 6:28 PM
The raven as his familiar is introduced in Fate's Carnival, not in any of the Ravenhearst titles, so if you haven't played that game you've missed key info for this one.

At this point, I'm hopelessly confused by the timeline and the character connections and what era is supposed to be "the present" in the story and why the twins are evil.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 4, 15 7:36 PM
Well, the twins had a rather twisted childhood with Charles as their Stepdad and Victor as their half brother....
so, even thought they died and were brought back to life at the end of Escape (I think.....I start getting confused as well).......but, the experience of dying on top of a torturous childhood......a tortuous ghost hood and then the experience of being broght into flesh again?

I could see them becoming twisted....and the Dalimars have shown themselves to be superb at the manipulation of people.

As to what era it is.....I would say maybe 10 years after the Escape from Ravenhearst would be about right.
Era?
It's own......I never mistake game universes for being on our planet, our era.....if anything, it is a somewhat warped parallel universe where at least some of the technology of the 20 maybe the 21 century was developed.....but, with a SteamPunk twist to much of it.

Edited on 11/04/2015 at 7:40:05 PM PST

begwood1
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
442 Posts

[Post New]by begwood1 on Nov 4, 15 9:18 PM
I'm just sorry I invested so much effort into rescuing those rotten little ingrates in the last game, I must say. This is how you repay me?

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 6, 15 11:11 PM
begwood1 wrote:I'm just sorry I invested so much effort into rescuing those rotten little ingrates in the last game, I must say. This is how you repay me?

Lol begwood!

As long as those sweet little girl ghosts grew into typical Dalimar madness once they got back their lives and grew up....I would love to know, HOW that happened?
I refuse to believe that it is "just because the Dalimar blood is tainted".

I am still trying to get my mind around them being the full sisters of Victor, not half sisters. Huh?
I also always had the impression that they came before Victor, not after.....but, can acknowledge how I might be wrong on that....
Obviously, Rose had a more hellish life than we knew....
But repeatedly raped? or seduced by Charles (that is my vote....I know how insidious being the victim in an abusive marriage can be, having finally gotten out of mine and recovered)

I await your theories fellow fishies, on how all this occurred.
who was really the oldest and how it is possible that oldest started youngest....although remaining old when first we met him.
Wouldn't it be delicious to see Victor and the girls as children growing up warped under crazy, charismatic Charles?

Capatin
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by Capatin on Nov 8, 15 3:41 PM
There is a tie in with Dire Grove and if I am not mistaken I think Alistair also showed himself in one of the puppetville games also but it has been a while since I played those but I aslo thought the twins were not fathered by charles based on the earlier ravenhurst games I dunno still really awesome series looking to see what is coming

cwy2009
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by cwy2009 on Nov 9, 15 2:34 PM
The storyline is just a pretext to keep churning out games for this series. As long as the story involves people who make fancy door locks, have tons of objects in disarray (great for hidden objects), and have a penchant for puzzles and riddles, then there will be an infinite number of storylines to make games for.

[Post New]by acanthmike3 on Nov 12, 15 8:21 AM

Edited on 11/13/2015 at 3:29:40 PM PST

Go to: