9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Demo time only 60 minutes?

[Post New]by 9otters on Nov 5, 15 1:16 AM
Shouldn't we have 90 minutes to demo a CE? Has this changed and I missed it?

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Re:Demo time only 60 minutes?

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 5, 15 1:38 AM
My demo time was 56 minutes, not that I minded as I am not going to buy this boring game.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Nov 5, 15 2:19 AM
It is odd that when I downloaded the demo, it only showed a total of 60 minutes available to play the demo. Shouldn't there be 90 minutes available?

Normally, I just use the demo to note all the features and extras for a quick overview/synopsis review. From the very start there was only 60 minutes available.

What happened to the other 30 minutes? By the time I was finished, I didn't have enough time left to figure out what all the extras were about. Lots of extras, but I'm confused about what the majority of them actually ARE.

My sister played the demo with me and she is just as confused as I am. Most of the extras could not be viewed. I kept getting the "will not be unlocked" until the entire game has been played.

Edited on 11/05/2015 at 2:21:44 AM PST

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 5, 15 5:57 AM
Haunted Legends: The Queen of Spades is one of the first games I bought when I came to Big Fish.....and I was so delighted.

This morning, a little kitty told me to buy the game without playing the demo....and my little kitty is rarely wrong, at least for me. The sale from yesterday was still working and I probably could have waited, played the demo, and STILL bought the game at 6.99, but the kitty didn't want me to wait.

ERS has obviously been listening to the comments and complaints of the players....
certainly, many items I have complained about have been seen to......and if not everything is changed....well, let's face it. You cannot please everybody, and the Devs have to work to please themselves.
This game is a labor of love.
They have included numerous visual references to the previous haunted Legends games throughout this game.
The SG contains the locations of ALL the collectibles.
There are morphing items....in scenes, not HOPs.
There are cakes to eat....apparently, if you find them all, you get a recipe.
There are immortality symbols to collect.
Then, in the HOPs, there are Cats....and if you bother them enough, you might get something to happen or said to you.
If you collect enough Cat Points, there is a bonus game that looks like a cats match-3. I think this is why the kitty said I had to buy the game.

Also, there is a section in the SG on "Choices" because different things happen depending on certain choices you make....but, they warn you and give you a chance to decide.

There is also lots of Concept Art (my favorite)
Photos
Wallpapers
Facts.....different things talking about characters or the series.

Four chapters and a bonus chapter
There is a jump map....and it shows if there are collectibles left...supposedly.
achievements
the cat match
a bonus game....I don't think it is the same as cat match, but it could be.
Hidden Object reprise
Mini game reprise
Movies
Music

So, there are a lot of extras.
I would have bought it anyway, because I am a fan of that nasty dwarf St Germain, who starts off the game as a rather good looking man...albeit, a sick one.
But, I have hopes we will see enough of St Germain as dwarf, snarling, having tantrums and throwing magic around.....and doing gleeful capering when he thinks he is winning.

oh yeah....
BE WARNED
the Extras page has two ways to leave....MENU and EXIT....
they mean exactly what they say....exit closes the game completely....lol!

Edited on 11/05/2015 at 6:02:05 AM PST

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Nov 5, 15 6:14 AM
Although the demo time was 60 minutes, I got to the "cut-off" point with 30 minutes left. I really couldn't play long enough to decide if the game is worth the large black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. I'll wait for the SE and rethink the game.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Nov 5, 15 6:39 AM
Years ago the demos were 60 minutes. Then they changed to be a "certain point in the game" which could take any amount of time. Sometimes I reached that point in 30 minutes, sometimes 90 minutes. Just depended on how challenging I found the game or how slowly I played. I haven't decided yet on this one, I have all the others so the sale is absolutely no good to me (and I wish the developers wouldn't offer sales in that form) but I have found that the games have gotten progressively easier in this series. The first one (Queen of Spades) is one of my all-time favorite games, the others not so much. I may wait on this one and just use a pcc when the SE comes out. Or wait for a really good sale.....However, just my opinion.

bluejen
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

[Post New]by bluejen on Nov 5, 15 9:30 AM
I've never seen a demo longer than 60 minutes.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Nov 5, 15 11:59 AM
tookat! Thank you very much for all the game extras info. ERS certainly outdid themselves on this one.

bluejen? I didn't find BFG until last year. For all that time, from then until now, 90 minutes has been the maximum time limit for CEs.

SE time allotment has been 60 minutes. Is it possible that you are thinking of SE time?

In any case...I haven't seen anything about the time allotment having been changed on CEs. Was it announced in some way? Am I just experiencing a fluke?

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Nov 5, 15 12:46 PM
9otters wrote:In any case...I haven't seen anything about the time allotment having been changed on CEs. Was it announced in some way? Am I just experiencing a fluke?

Hi 9otters,

On the game page under the download free trial button, it says "free sample." Whenever a trial says that, it just means its a certain amount of game play. If it takes 90 minutes, great! If it only takes 30, then that's it. Demos still work on the 60/SE and 90/CE format, but free samples are different.

Hope this helps!

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Nov 5, 15 12:47 PM
If you don't have a good feeling about playing a game from reviews plus knowing what that developer produces and a 30 minute game time, then you probably shouldn't be buying. There is enough other information to check to confirm your thoughts or not!

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Nov 5, 15 3:07 PM
Bartsister said,

On the game page under the download free trial button, it says "free sample." Whenever a trial says that, it just means its a certain amount of game play.

And there we have it! The answer I was looking for. I had never heard of a "free sample" as opposed to regular demo time.

Its a GOOD day when you can say you've learned something new. Thank you for the clearing that up for me, Bartsister.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Nov 5, 15 3:58 PM
9otters wrote:
Bartsister said,

On the game page under the download free trial button, it says "free sample." Whenever a trial says that, it just means its a certain amount of game play.

And there we have it! The answer I was looking for. I had never heard of a "free sample" as opposed to regular demo time.

Its a GOOD day when you can say you've learned something new. Thank you for the clearing that up for me, Bartsister.

Any time!

[Post New]by blueeyedgirl1301 on Nov 20, 15 2:47 PM
tookat wrote:
I would have bought it anyway, because I am a fan of that nasty dwarf St Germain, who starts off the game as a rather good looking man...albeit, a sick one.
But, I have hopes we will see enough of St Germain as dwarf, snarling, having tantrums and throwing magic around.....and doing gleeful capering when he thinks he is winning.

Tookat!!! That was a great review of the game, but I haven't played it yet. I was only reading this to find out about the demo time and am extremely disappointed that I now know before even starting the game that St. Germain is the dwarf from the other games. PLEASE... type "spoiler" before writing something about the storyline on a general forum page.

Go to: