tjwilson
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

Concerned About Coins

[Post New]by tjwilson on Nov 5, 15 10:53 AM
I am seeing a disturbing trend in Midnight Castle, where it appears we are going to be FORCED to buy coins just to play the game! The requirements to make items is getting larger, but the coin rewards is not. In addition, new item #47 requires 20,000 coins to open. That more than double your previous requirements. Sure, a person could spend $30 to get his amount of coins, but I'm a poor person who can't afford to do that.

If the trend continues, I will have to report this game to the feds. This is a FREE game, but the FREE means that those who can't (or won't) pay are not disadvantaged. Paying for coins will obviously give someone an advantage, which is fine, but you have to be very careful about the use of the word FREE. I was an advertising exec for years, and the feds are serious about this kind of abuse of the word FREE.

I suggest that the game be made to go on as BEFORE, where requirements were in the 600 coin to 2600 coin range for making items, and that it requires less than 10,000 to open a new room.

Is anyone else concerned about this turn of events?

As many people are concerned about you trend to making money, money, money, think of those of us WHO DON'T HAVE ANY!

Edited on 11/05/2015 at 11:03:48 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Concerned About Coins

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Nov 5, 15 11:26 AM
Hi tjwilson,

I see that there is some concern regarding game play in Midnight Castle and the purchase of coins. Midnight Castle is a free-to-play game and can definitely be played without purchasing any in game currency. Many players have continued to play this game without making a purchase. Purchasing extra content such as currency in the game is completely optional. Players can purchase this extra content to enhance their gaming experience if they choose to. I can see the concern regarding the requirements to craft items, so I will definitely pass this along to the appropriate team.

For more information regarding our free-to-play games, see the following help article:

Free to Play Games

Feel free to PM any of the moderators if you have any questions.

bfgBellerophon

FudgeChi
Flounder
Flounder
2,380 Posts

[Post New]by FudgeChi on Nov 5, 15 11:37 AM
I've never bought coins, there really is no need to. I've been playing almost 2 years and if you are getting short of coins then stop the quests for a time and just do the rounds to build up your coins. They soon add up.
As players always say, it's a marathon and not a sprint.
I sometimes buy a few diamonds just to support the game, but I have no need of those either.

[Post New]by BrenHawk on Nov 5, 15 11:38 AM
On one of the MC games I'm playing (I'm running one on a desktop and one on a tablet) I'm at level 55, and I've been running into this situation. I refuse to spend money on a free-to-play game. My solution is simple: I don't sweat how long it takes me to accumulate enough coins to craft something or open a space. As I see it, this is a game, not a job. So what if it takes me a few days of hour-long sessions (which is what I set aside for MC) of doing HOS's, sending out airships, and feeding pets before I can finish something?

c0c0_nuts
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by c0c0_nuts on Nov 5, 15 11:52 AM
The game is free. No one is forced to pay. Buying diamonds or coins is optional. I have made it to level 66 without buying anything. It just takes longer to progress when you have to do the rounds to accumulate coins.
There are people that choose to pay for two main reasons: 1) to speed up their progress in the game and 2) to show their support for the game.

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Nov 5, 15 12:39 PM
Let me just say the further you go, the most costly the levels are. If you choose not to purchase coins or gold, you can still be successful in this game. But you must constantly play round after round, accumulating as many coins and as much inventory as you possibly can. It is a balancing act between completing quests to level up and amassing coins and inventory. Sometimes it's better to forget about the quests and just play the rounds.

This game is actually unlike many of the FTP games where you have to wait for energy levels to build up before continuing to play. You can play Midnight Castle around the clock if you want to...there are no energy bars to fill up.

There is no rush...no competition. So far, there is no end in sight. Play to get more coins than you need, then open one area, then play again to get coins. Don't look too far ahead. Slow and steady.

begwood1
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
442 Posts

[Post New]by begwood1 on Nov 5, 15 3:59 PM
"Free to play" does not mean "easy to play without spending money." Obviously the game is designed to encourage the impatient to buy coins and diamonds with real money, but I think it plays fair. I haven't paid a penny and I've made it to level 33 so far. You can earn coins with every hidden object scene you do -- there's a built-in mechanism in the game that rewards you with coins.

Trust me, the federal government doesn't care if it takes you longer to advance in Midnight Castle than you want it to. Honestly, I think it's the least money-grabbing "free to play" game I've seen; many of them, you simply CAN'T complete levels without buying powerups (Candy Crush and so forth).

chellewalker
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by chellewalker on Nov 5, 15 7:17 PM
tjwilson, have you ever thought that the reason they may be increasing the price of everything in the game is NOT to have people spending money, but to have people slowing down and having the game last longer?

It seems that almost as soon as an update comes out, there are already people finishing it, asking for another update (some even complaining that it's taking too long). I'm not a game developer, but I know I don't have much imagination and I know I couldn't keep coming out with new things to add to this game every week or two, on demand (and that's just me coming up with it, they have to develop it also).

If everything costs more, than that's more rounds players have to do, longer it takes for the non-paying players to finish the update, longer the developers have to come out with a new update. It doesn't mean they are automatically money hungry.

Before threatening the developers, maybe take a look at ALL possible reasons for the game play, and then if you're STILL not happy, just don't play the game. It's not mandatory.

Edited on 11/05/2015 at 7:18:41 PM PST

begwood1
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
442 Posts

[Post New]by begwood1 on Nov 5, 15 9:10 PM
that's a good point. That's why I don't usually spend my diamonds -- there's no point in speeding up, I'll just finish the available levels and be left with nothing to do in the game.

[Post New]by BlazeDuskdreamer on Nov 6, 15 6:13 AM
On top of what all the above comments state, you're flat out wrong. There is no misinformation here, no fraud, since you can play for free. Nothing's to stop you from reporting it but nothing's going to happen because they are not breaking the law.

I play an MMO that advertises as free and gets away with it because the first few areas (about a half dozen out of about a few hundred) are free forever with no time limit. If they can do that, this game where you only pay to go faster is certainly in the clear.

I may spend diamonds now and then to support the game but I have come to realize I totally don't need to and gold is certainly not something I'm going to buy as it's so easily earned in game -- not just the HOS, but the morphing objects, feeding pets, playing the wheel of fortune and the dice game and Trinia's slot machine and even when you craft you usually get some. Heck, you even earn diamonds free and that's their premium currency.

This game is definitely free to play and no ads or anything. I've long been a BF customer (since they started in business) but I've already bought one game specifically because of this one -- the prequel -- and I am hoping they make more prequel games.

tjwilson
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by tjwilson on Nov 14, 15 12:20 PM
chellewalker wrote:tjwilson, have you ever thought that the reason they may be increasing the price of everything in the game is NOT to have people spending money, but to have people slowing down and having the game last longer?

It seems that almost as soon as an update comes out, there are already people finishing it, asking for another update (some even complaining that it's taking too long). I'm not a game developer, but I know I don't have much imagination and I know I couldn't keep coming out with new things to add to this game every week or two, on demand (and that's just me coming up with it, they have to develop it also).

If everything costs more, than that's more rounds players have to do, longer it takes for the non-paying players to finish the update, longer the developers have to come out with a new update. It doesn't mean they are automatically money hungry.

Before threatening the developers, maybe take a look at ALL possible reasons for the game play, and then if you're STILL not happy, just don't play the game. It's not mandatory.

Go to: