Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Lost Lands: The Golden Curse Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 7, 15 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 11/07/2015 at 7:33:46 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Lost Lands: The Golden Curse Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by 9otters on Nov 7, 15 7:22 AM
Ooo! Looks like a good one. I'm not knowledgeable about the Devs who produced the New York Mysteries games, but the graphics, map, and gameplay are so alike, I'd bet they created this one too. LOVE their games! Brain food!

Good graphics, mood appropriate music, and voiceovers.

As in the NYM games, the HOPs are entire rooms with silhouettes of items that we find to interact with the others that eventually gives us the item we need to continue.

A collectors dream, with 28 manuscript pages (in plain sight), 35 morphing items in the scenes, and 24 statuettes/figurines. The morphs and statuettes are given away by the cursor "hand", but some are not easy to spot. We can have more of a challenge by trying to SEE them first, without the "helping hand". Finding the statuettes unlocks a "cache"...hopefully another mini-game or puzzle to play.

We also need to locate 14 items that fell from our purse when we went through a portal. There is no way to miss them, because they are needed for the gameplay, but it is nice way to introduce the use of "modern" items in an ancient place.

This Dev makes great, user friendly maps. Morphs and statuettes have an icon on the map so you can be sure you have found them. Hint button also transports. Strategy Guide can be accessed by a tab in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. They have included a journal for important info, including the manuscript pages.

Extras include the regular stuff as well as 7 puzzles (I believe they are calling the HOPs puzzles), 25 mini-games, a Lost Lands quiz, strategy guide, and bonus game. The last game I played from this Dev had an extra bonus...a series of increasingly difficult versions of one game. Maybe accessed by the statuettes? We will see...

Loved the puzzles/mini-games. Some thought required. No re-set button, but you can re-set by backing out of the puzzle and re-entering.

There are only 3 levels of difficulty, but all are customizable. Locking inventory. No alternate game if you don't like HOPs.

Just played the demo to get an overview for this synopsis. Skipped the puzzles so I could do them in a relaxed manner later...and STILL used up all but 12 minutes of the 90-minute demo. An instant buy for me!

Happy gaming to all who choose to play! Enjoy!

edit: I clicked on "More Games" and saw that this Dev IS the one that created NYM, among others. There are times I just can't see the forest for the trees...

Edited on 11/07/2015 at 5:36:02 PM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Lost Lands: The Golden Curse Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Nov 7, 15 7:35 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Lost Lands: The Golden Curse Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Lost Lands: The Golden Curse Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Nov 7, 15 11:50 AM
Thank-you 9otters, brilliant review as always
It's a buy for me, loved the last Lost Lands, so this is so nice to see, and so quickly too
Try this one you fishies

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 7, 15 12:54 PM

Golden Curse May Fill A Golden Purse

The production standards for this game set a benchmark for others to strive for. The cut scenes are fantastically real and the level of detail is incredible - extending even to rendering the reflection of the sky in an ordinary puddle.

The quality of the game play is equally high. It is quickly evident that a great deal of planning and design went into each puzzle and hidden object scene. This is not a click-fest, a little thought will be required, but it is not difficult. The collectibles are also well hidden. The use of inventory items is creative, but stays within the bounds of logic.

The story involves a treasure of cursed golden coins: the curse being that when the coins are touched, powerful beasts are unleashed upon the Lost Lands. There is a lot of story to absorb, especially with the collectible manuscripts. There is also a fair amount of dialog. Be prepared to take your time and enjoy the slower pace, at least in the beginning.

A terrific map is provided. It is a "tabbed" map, with an individual tab for each Lost Land, just like in the first game. And that's important because you will be using the map a lot.

Based on just the demo, I highly recommend this game and believe it is a candidate for GOTY, It's that good - as good as gold.

OCD edit for spelling

Edited on 11/07/2015 at 6:57:49 PM PST

jfog
Clownfish
Clownfish
991 Posts

[Post New]by jfog on Nov 7, 15 2:50 PM
I don't have a lot to add to the excellent reviews by steve_san and 9otters except to join the chorus with more praise.

I have both of the previous Lost Lands games, Four Horsemen and Dark Overlord. Somehow they had slipped to the bottom of the pile and I'd forgotten about them until last week when Dark Overlord came up as a group play at another gaming site. We played Dark Overlord and I was thrilled. As soon as I finished, I started Four Horsemen. Today was like Christmas with the new addition to this series.

Steve_san is right. These devs have raised the bar on casual gaming and HOGs in particular. These devs are story tellers. These devs have taken a lot of tips from movie making; the music and sound effects are more cinematic than most games which makes for a more immersive experience. The hidden object scenes are my least favorite part of any casual game but these are different. No mindless comb/spider/feather/compass hunting here. One step leads to another until you find a useful item so I felt like I was searching an area to advance the plot as opposed to being forced to participate in game padding. The dialog and voice acting is excellent in all three games. The cut scenes, the interaction with characters and the manuscript pages flesh out the story and makes it more interesting. The art work is spectacular. This is a new world with more detail than I've ever seen in a casual game.

Bravo to the devs! Run a search on them and you can see a picture of the staff with their smiling faces. They are now my very favorites with the wonderful New York Mysteries series and Lost Lands. I may even replay these games which will be a first for me.

Novella2
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by Novella2 on Nov 9, 15 12:42 PM
Don't really have a "review," am almost done with game. It's been fun. I did want to ask if I am the only who'd like to see the harpy keep the annoying little girl? Totally unnecessary to the game.

[Post New]by bridgettb on Nov 9, 15 5:02 PM
I do love the game but am having issues with the tea in the bonus chapter. Don't know if I put the items in too quickly and it isn't registering but it is stuck and will not let me finish making the remedy for father. I even checked the strategy guide and according to it, I did everything right. All ingredients are there but it will not let me pick up the mortar. Hmmm???

Calicohorse
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

Best Game of the Year (for me)

[Post New]by Calicohorse on Nov 9, 15 6:47 PM
An absolutely lovely, looooonnnnng game. I've been playing it for several days and still not quite done the main game. Everything makes sense, the storyline is engaging with good voice acting, and the games all seem fresh and new. I especially liked the insanity room - really, really clever. Best of all, it's far from too easy. I don't play with any sparkle indicators and I had to hit 'hint' more than a few times to find some non-obvious spots to check out. It's not one long 'find it-use it' format that I find tedious. The HO scenes are really-really interactive, having to find and use all items, and the artwork is spectacular with just the right amount of creepy. Zombie Leprechauns? For reals? Yes, please!

This is the most I've enjoyed a game in a long time. Best of the year for me!

Loonz111
Clownfish
Clownfish
876 Posts

[Post New]by Loonz111 on Nov 11, 15 3:56 AM
I just finished the game, took me 4 days, so yes, it's very, very long. Usually I finish CE games in one or two days. In fact it was so long, I had to keep notes about what had to been done where to keep track of things (played hard mode, so no map indications).
I loved it, I'm not going through the details as others already did great reviews. Loved the HOP's, although they were difficult at times (didn't get the achievement for no extra clicking
Only (small) negative comments: opening the map and menu is very mouse-click-sensitive and at times it was very difficult to decide which item you had to use where. Just as an example, I believe I needed 4 to 6 levers at some point in the game.

Martyheinz
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,130 Posts

[Post New]by Martyheinz on Nov 12, 15 3:44 AM
An excellent game. It was long for me also. The only real criticism I have is that in one scene when the gold jeweler was talking the voice was of Fiora. Didn't make much sense. I don't usually go back and replay games but I will certainly replay this one.

[Post New]by Lituya on Nov 12, 15 5:44 PM
I am also having the same problem with the tea in the bonus chapter.

bridgettb wrote:I do love the game but am having issues with the tea in the bonus chapter. Don't know if I put the items in too quickly and it isn't registering but it is stuck and will not let me finish making the remedy for father. I even checked the strategy guide and according to it, I did everything right. All ingredients are there but it will not let me pick up the mortar. Hmmm???

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 15, 15 8:14 PM
Hi all! Excellent review twin. Don't have much to add to this review. This is #3 in the series and yes, I do have the first two and liked them both. The graphics weren't bad at all. At first it seemed like an older game, but it was just how it looked. Not a lot in the way of animation, but the sound FX are well done. Game play was very good, with no problems during the demo. Colors are bright and true and well done. If the music doesn't grab me in the beginning, it gets turned down...this one was turned down. Voice overs aren't bad either, but the little girl's voice started grating on my nerves very quickly. I think it was just too high a pitch. It has been quite a while since I played the other two, but it seems like this one sort of picks up where the other left off. I play so many, it's hard to remember for sure.

HOPs are the standard interactive silhouettes and lists. They are fairly clean and items are not difficult to find. I did not see that you could switch to a different game is you did not like the HOPs. Puzzles were not all that difficult either, but you did have to use your brain on a couple. SG was the standard, but only showed the one chapter, so you had to "accidentally" find out what the collectibles are. The hint system was helpful, when it actually gave you a hint. More than once, it didn't do anything when I clicked on it. The map is a jump and areas are identified very well. It also shows the areas where you have a collectible or a morph item.

Collectibles are many, which is what I like and what I think a CE should have. So far, I see that there are 24 figurines, which are very difficult to spot in most cases. They blend and are very small! We also have 35 morphing items, which morph fairly fast, so be on the lookout. The plus here is that your icon turns to a hand when you roll over one. Then we have 28 manuscript pages. These pages give you more information about an area and/or the story and are not hard to spot.

I was surprised by this game. At first, I didn't think I would care for it, but the collectibles changed my mind. You don't just play a game, you have to work at it. The only thing I didn't care for was when you clicked on a building or place, one of the characters would tell you what it was...every time you click on it. This became very annoying when I was looking for the morphing item. Tell me once and be quiet, thank you. Anyway, not a deal breaker. I think this would appeal to all levels of players. Naturally, I am going to add this one to my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Nov 15, 15 11:10 PM
Wow, wow, and more wow from me. Fantastic graphics (many of which reminded me of the great Mr. Sokal, especially the cut-scenes), very good puzzles, progressive HOG's which I enjoyed tremendously, and a great solid fantasy story line. The main game took me well over 6 hours (hurray!!# and the bonus almost 2. There is so much to do, see and accomplish here that you will want to set aside at least a couple of hours at a time to play. Bonus chapter has all new locations (THANK YOU BN for not going cheap on this like so many other developers!); although it has no bearing on the main story, it is a welcome add-on to one of the characters from the main game. There is quite a bit of to-and-fro, but, like the previous game, the jump map should be your favored choice of transportation. Game of the Year as far as I'm concerned!!! Looking forward to their next release!

[Post New]by LMSchwartz01 on Nov 18, 15 9:56 AM
This is a beautiful and well-done game. Unfortunately, the glitch in the Bonus game (see the forum protests) means that it cannot be finished as is.

kes_d
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

[Post New]by kes_d on Nov 20, 15 1:18 PM
I'm a big fan of the Lost Lands and this one did not disappoint. It's a fairly long game which I love and the storyline / graphics are of a good quality. I didn't have any of the technical issues that some others reported, all actions worked fine and no issues with needing "hot spots" to complete actions.
Varied puzzles and HOPs which differed from easy to challenging and generally made me think about the next step. I am an experienced gamer who tends to find these type of games too easy, but this was of an excellent quality and definitely recommended.

[Post New]by tkdlady on Nov 23, 15 4:44 AM
Loved the game, but mine got hung up in the bonus round while trying to make the medicine for father. Anyone have a solution?

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Nov 25, 15 10:11 AM
Everyone else has said a lot in regards to this game, but I just wanted to say THANKS....I play a lot of these and this is is by far a real winner. Even the music!

I hope it does win game of the year, as they did a fantastic job on this game. Can't wait to see more like this.

Ci

By the way, this has been out for a few weeks, but I keep going back and playing it.
It is that good.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Nov 30, 15 4:38 PM
Good game and I agree with the positive posts. My only problem was I played it immediately after playing it's predecessor (Lost Lands: The Four Horsemen CE) and it being a holiday weekend it was a little too much game for the time I had LOL
I usually try and play a SE after a good CE but this time I did not :/
This one is getting out of possible 5

I had no problems playing on a new desktop PC running factory installed Win. 10

Zork1
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Zork1 on Dec 7, 15 4:25 PM

Edited on 12/08/2015 at 5:57:16 PM PST

Go to: