bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Insider Tales: The Secret of Casanova comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 15, 09 1:06 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Insider Tales: The Secret of Casanova. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
In Insider Tales: The Secret of Casanova, you assume the role of Francesca di Porta once again. This time you must uncover secrets left behind by Giacomo Casanova, the Venetian adventurer and world renowned “ladies’ man.” In order to find what Casanova left behind, you must follow his path, solve puzzles and locate the four pieces of a key to the truth – a heart-shaped amulet. Most of the scenes are well-designed, though some have dark corners and a bit of a hazy cast which make finding some items a bit difficult. Fortunately, there is a hint feature, though it takes quite some time to refill before you can use it and mis-clicking only results in a temporary loss of ability to click. The puzzles vary from relatively simple to challenging, but each mini-game offers a skip option (though you have to wait for the “skip” bar to fill before you do) and story scenes can be skipped as well. Overall, this game has beautiful scenes, gentle, relaxing music and no timer, which provides a nice escape for those that enjoy playing games to wind down at the end of the day.

Game Modes:
Secret of Casanova has only a story mode, but offers Hidden Object scenes, Spot the Difference levels and mini-games.

Depth:
This game starts players in Milan then takes them through Paris, Vienna, Prague and Venice. Players new to the Hidden Object genre will get plenty of play time out of this title, but experienced Hidden Object gamers can complete this game within seven hours and unchanging objects make for little replay value.

Similar to:
Players that enjoyed Insider Tales: Stolen Venus and Hidden World of Art 2: Undercover Art Agent will enjoy the serene music and beautiful scenes of Secret of Casanova.

Difficulty level:
Secret of Casanova may be a bit difficult for those hard of sight or those with darker monitors but overall is moderately challenging. Some items are hidden in darker corners, behind other items and are often very blended into the scene.

Reviewed by E.G.

Edited on 10/15/2009 at 8:58:06 AM PST

Re:Insider Tales: The Secret of Casanovacomments and reviews

[Post New]by flyingsquirrely on Oct 15, 09 1:20 AM
Deleted

Edited on 01/06/2010 at 6:57:16 PM PST

Prima2339
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by Prima2339 on Oct 15, 09 1:45 AM
I just started the game and already I'm stuck!?
I need a key for the diary which shows Lamp + = Key
The lamp is obvious, but where's the lightbulb?? I can't find it anywhere?
When I try the hint button it just shows sparkles around the lamp, but I can't click on it for anything?
I'm sure it's something very simple, but I still need help.

sanpry
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by sanpry on Oct 15, 09 2:14 AM
is there a walkthrough? how many levals? thanks as i always check here before purchasing,

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Oct 15, 09 2:22 AM
I'm on the fence for this game. The art is lovely, but the gameplay is somewhat inconsistent -- the hidden object challenges are on the difficult side, whereas the mini-games are far too easy. The game response seems to be sluggish, the cursor seems "heavy" and there is a half-second delay when doing some tasks, like rotating puzzle pieces.

I didn't really enjoy the previous game much (Insider Tales: The Stolen Venus), so I guess I'm likely to pass up this one. I love the theme (a European historical mystery) and I love the tales about Giacomo Casanova, however it still lacks a little something. It's a great romp through Europe, though! Lovely scenery and artwork! Enjoy it, fellow fishies!

[Post New]by nubmyt on Oct 15, 09 2:23 AM
Hi, I have installed but cannot play when I click on play now I get a message about recommended screen resolution so I changed to 1280x1024 60Hz (what it suggested) but still no joy. Any ideas?

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Oct 15, 09 2:31 AM
Enjoying the demo, but don't think it's one I'm going to buy. Agree with other comments here - minigames far too easy, and yes, I hate the spot the difference games too. And it sounds to be on the short side as well.

Most annoying thing for me is that if you make just three or four mis-clicks the cursor goes wobbly for a couple of seconds. Really frustrating in those scenes where you aren't sure what to do next and just want to explore...

But lovely pictures, relaxing music - worth an hour of your time if not $6.99 of your money.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 15, 09 2:45 AM
I love the plot, looove the graphics, and I like easy puzzles! Won't hesitate even a second if to buy it or not, of course I'll buy ("there's a hole in my pocket, dear Lisa, dear Lisa" ) -

Eta: Still waiting for Edgar Allen Poe 2 - hurry, hurry!

sawadee93
Koi
Koi
128,219 Posts

[Post New]by sawadee93 on Oct 15, 09 2:46 AM
dvdiva wrote:I'm on the fence for this game. The art is lovely, but the gameplay is somewhat inconsistent -- the hidden object challenges are on the difficult side, whereas the mini-games are far too easy. The game response seems to be sluggish, the cursor seems "heavy" and there is a half-second delay when doing some tasks, like rotating puzzle pieces.

same here, game is running very slow ...not sure about this game, it's good but maybe not enough to buy .....

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Oct 15, 09 3:06 AM
Hi,
I bought this game after playing the first level and now regret it. Too slow moving for me and some sneaky hidden objects like a misshapen spade on a road sign. I'm also finding the cursor cumbersome which I normally don't have a problem with.
I much prefer more interactive games and agree with the comment about exploring.
Pity cos it looked like it had potential!

flo314ca
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by flo314ca on Oct 15, 09 3:08 AM
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with the slow running game. Loading took a while and waiting for the dialogue took a while too.

Mini games are pretty simple. Even the spot the difference ones which I also dislike were fairly easy. I did enjoy the game mostly. It does seem like it will end quickly as there only seems to be those 4 cities to go through. I liked the interactive parts such as finding keys to open certain areas. The graphics aren't bad either.

Good for an hour, but I'm going to save my money.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Oct 15, 09 3:21 AM
Not having any problems with game or cursor. It is an easy game and the music is nice. I read on another forum(other site) that there is more than the 4 cities but that it is a short game. Still debating to buy or not.

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Oct 15, 09 3:48 AM
sanpry wrote:is there a walkthrough? how many levals? thanks as i always check here before purchasing,

The walkthrough will be posted on the Big Fish Blog today, in a few hours.

Margie B

Edited on 10/15/2009 at 7:33:51 AM PST

flo314ca
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by flo314ca on Oct 15, 09 4:11 AM
prchalpn wrote: read on another forum(other site) that there is more than the 4 cities but that it is a short game. Still debating to buy or not.quote]

Good to know that there is more than the 4 cities. Thanks for the info!

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Oct 15, 09 4:42 AM
Started the beta and never finished due to computer crash but this game just lacks something for me, didn't really hold my interest.

I might buy it for $2.99 but never $6.99.

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Oct 15, 09 4:46 AM
Just did trial and liked it. A bit slow in some parts and loading but good story, sound and graphics. Some scenes have dark places. It goes on my To Buy List. I skipped one mini-game; the betting one on the roulette wheel.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 15, 09 4:47 AM
Objects just WAY too tiny on small screen for me. Game ran normally, cursor fine (Vista laptop wide screen 15") Oddly spot the difference easy which is usually my downfall, at least visible. And mini games easy except one I skipped for more time. I don't think "hidden" objects should be invisible. I shouldn't have still been in first city Paris cassino in an hour but still looking for that last playing card, pointer still spinning at me. Shame, if easier to see would have been a nice pretty game with good theme but...

No sale.

Still have 2 game credits left but think I'll just wait for the 2 new surprises to come.

cberr
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

[Post New]by cberr on Oct 15, 09 6:02 AM
Cant play "the notes collected" on the piano. Help please.

ninja3311
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by ninja3311 on Oct 15, 09 6:37 AM
Downloaded the trial but only get the message about recommened screen size. Have never had that pop-up before. What's the deal?

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Oct 15, 09 7:33 AM
I have the same problem as "auntiec30".....split screen, cursor barely moving, running extremely slow. I wish all games had the option to use your own cursor because this seems to be an issue with my computer. If they do not offer it as an "option," is there somewhere where you can turn off the custom cursor?

Go to: