bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Hostile Makeover comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 16, 09 1:10 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!
Happy gaming !

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

Re:Hostile Makeover comments and reviews

[Post New]by 88blyth on Oct 16, 09 3:33 AM
well, my pc did not like this game..or..this game did not like my pc, one or the other!!..the game took ages to load and then was very slow to play, i gave up after the first scene..then the game would turn off so i had to turn my pc off and on again...anyone else having problems? x x

[Post New]by sassycassierl on Oct 16, 09 6:21 AM
I too am having major problems with this game...the mouse seems to "stick", and I've tried downloading and removing three times so far...am not a happy camper, as I purchased this game.....help!!!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Oct 16, 09 6:22 AM
Another fashion game (yawn). I did not care for it but i had no technical problems with it. You can play this in either Timed or Casual mode. I played the Casual mode. I did not finish the Demo.

This is a HOG with some mini games. In the short time I played there was a Spot the Differences mini. As you find objects, you make money. The money is used to purchase fashions and accessories. There are several outfits that you will have to buy during the game. There is a map which shows the locations that you need to investigate as well as the shopping venues where you will make your purchases. You can access the map from any of the game scenes. I like to shop so this part was enjoyable as far as I could go with it. I did not make enough money to complete any one outfit but was able to purchase items for 3 different outfits.

Some objects are very small which was second in my dislike of the game. The first item i disliked being the fashion theme. That first item is more subjective. Just because I don't like fashion games doesn't mean that they are worthless. Many people enjoy them. I do watch a lot of fashion themed TV shows but i don't care for fashion games.

There is a fast renewing Hint which is good because some items are too small to make out. Too many clicks will take your curser from you or some such thing for just a short moment. There are some highlighted items in the lists of objects. These items will give you clues as to who did the murder or why.

There are 9 suspects to investigate in the murder of a famous model. I worked on but did not finish only one of these. This promises some length to the game. I repeated one scene, I think, so there may be a number of others I never got to.

This is an OK game. It's major drawback is the tiny size of some items. if that is a problem for you, you may want to pass on this game. The cartoon art is OK, not bad but not particularly eye-catching either. The music was unnoticeable. I know that there was music because there is a sound adjustment for it in the Options. there are also some ambiant sounds which add to the mood and can be adjusted.

I give it about 2 1/2 out of 5 stars. I took off points for very tiny, somewhat fuzzy objects and for the use of Spot the Diff (hate those) and for it's being a fashion theme (always boring, so far).

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Oct 16, 09 6:47 AM
I only lasted a few minutes. Cursor very slow. Didn't like the graphics. Items were very fuzzy. Not for me.

purplehaze72
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,258 Posts

[Post New]by purplehaze72 on Oct 16, 09 6:54 AM
i had to cancel my membership awhile ago, so i am not a member anymore but for some reason it let me download this game today instead of tomorrow, but i have not tried it yet.

ktk514
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by ktk514 on Oct 16, 09 7:26 AM
Since this game wouldn't let me disable the tutorials or the dialog, and it's really annoying, after a few minutes I'd had enough.

catlady4
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by catlady4 on Oct 16, 09 8:10 AM
DON'T CARE FOR IT-SHUT OFF TWICE- SLOW PROBABLY BECAUSE OF CUSTOM CURSOR WHICH YOU CANNOT CHANGE- WOULDN'T BUY IT

HOG_ger
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by HOG_ger on Oct 16, 09 11:50 AM
Hostile in title is a good description, my Pc& the game appear to b very hostile toward each other. This is a BIG NO THANK YOU for me.

[Post New]by whivel on Oct 16, 09 11:53 AM
This game stalled after the first investigation. I restarted 3 times - it did no good. It was slow. Also not much of a challenge.

I have had several games that I purchased which are not playable. Wish there was a refund policy.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Oct 16, 09 11:59 AM
whivel wrote:This game stalled after the first investigation. I restarted 3 times - it did no good. It was slow. Also not much of a challenge.

I have had several games that I purchased which are not playable. Wish there was a refund policy.

If you write to Customer Support and they can't get these purchased games running properly for you, they will issue you a game credit for a game of your choice.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Oct 16, 09 1:03 PM
No technical issues for me but this game was very annoying... the soundtrack, the story, and the way each item at the top of the HOG list pulsates was very irritating. For those with tech issues, take comfort - you are not missing anything.

[Post New]by CheekyKaz on Oct 16, 09 1:45 PM
I normally play large file games, which generally are very demanding on your PC and so I cannot understand why this game will not run properly.

As with some of the previous posts, I found that the game was so slow (5 mins to load a scene), that it became impossible to complete the tasks in timed mode.

I did not manage to even complete one complete investigation, despite the objects in view, the time from clicking on the item to it actually registering was unbelieveable. Interestingly the timer clock was ticking away in normal time, shame the rest of the game wasn't working like that!

Strangely once I actually managed to complete a location the 'great job' screen was also running at normal speed.
This is the first time that I've had a problem like this with a game from this site and will give customer support a go.

Edited on 10/16/2009 at 1:46:17 PM PST

freshbrat_
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by freshbrat_ on Oct 16, 09 2:53 PM
Was NOT my cup of tea....only made it through 20 min and deleted. Kinda reminded me of playing "barbie" back when I was a kid....I cant see how this would appeal to many men out there either!!

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Oct 16, 09 5:20 PM
I do not like this game for several reasons. I don't like having the hidden object list presented so that I must find the first item on the list and not another. I don't like the shopping scenes and it may be that I am totally out of touch, but the prices assigned to clothing are ridiculous (not that that matters at all to the game). I don't like the cartoonish nature of the graphics and I agree many objects are extremely small, making it difficult for anyone with vision problems to play. All in all, I am not buying this game. I had no technical difficulties with it, however, not having a problem with loading it as it took a short period of time, two or three minutes, perhaps. There was no delay in loading of individual scenes and no problem with the cursor, which did not shake or move slowly. From a technical standpoint, then, all is fine and it is the design of the game that is a problem!

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Oct 16, 09 8:11 PM
No technical issues here for me - was not slow, no cursor sticking or anything like that. Actually, I thought the game was kinda fun - cool theme with the investigating the murder suspects. I didn't think any of the items were too tiny - however, I did find it somewhat frustrating on some of the show-you-the-shape-only levels as some were just too basic shaped (for example, a rectangle with no other real distinctions). If you click too many wrong items (your only real chance of this is in the above situation where they give you a very generic shape), then you get a freeze penalty on the cursor, which seemed very, very long. Okay, punish me with a time penalty but geez, don't make me sit here for 5 mins waiting for the cursor to unfreeze. Choosing a hint seems to unfreeze it but still.... The outfits come into play as reward items - you go shopping with your points at several boutiques to unlock mystery outfits - then the narrator character can change into the outfit. Woo hoo! (sarcasm) I noticed on the very next level, she was right back to the default outfit. All in all, this game does get kinda fun in a curious type way - after you investigate a couple people, you do wonder who did commit the murder and it inspires you to keep going. I'd give this 3 out of 5 stars

Edited on 10/16/2009 at 8:13:22 PM PST

[Post New]by karadactyl on Oct 16, 09 9:14 PM
I had some technical issues --- nothing major. Just slow to load, some freezing, etc. I didn't dislike this game, but it definitely isn't on my purchase list.
I don't like having almost all the scenes be ones where you have to find the pictured item --- I'd much rather have words.
I didn't like the conversation... and the way certain objects would make it come up. Plus, everytime I would fast forward, it would freeze.
The fashion theme doesn't bother me, and overall I thought the idea behind it was good. Actual execution was a different story.

Overall, I'd give it two and a half out of five. Not good, not bad.

[Post New]by billmill50501 on Oct 16, 09 11:24 PM
sloooooow!!!!! takes forever when u find object for it to react

KathyB
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by KathyB on Oct 17, 09 12:46 AM
I couldnt get this game to load at all. Tried to load it 3 times and got tired Of restarting Big Fish. Sorry. Not buying this one

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Oct 17, 09 1:30 AM
I had no technical issues with this game but just found it boring, I'm not a great lover of fashion games anyway. I'll wait to something better comes along

Go to: