NikkiNox
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air

[Post New]by NikkiNox on Jul 10, 10 3:59 PM
Unfortunately, gotta agree with most of the fishies here, this game was dumb, dumb, dumb! And they talk to you like you are too! I don't post very often (as you can tell) but I felt the need to let fishies know that this game is a pass. I don't know how to do that thumbs down thing, but this is a big thumbs down for me!

[Post New]by terryh0477 on Jul 10, 10 5:01 PM
Really frustrating game, and I am pretty adept at this type of game, have purchased quite a few. I even purchased the strategy guide, so spent 14.00 on both, now am just quitting at the music island spot, sick of trying to figure out how to place the blue stones so they are right and don't have to be restamped 52 times; ack!!!! This game is just difficult in certain spots and guide does not exactly give you enough detail. Wish I had not wasted my money! Should have learned with the first Dream Chronicle game I played.....that one was a bit hard to get through too......I would say pass on this series of games!

Srutko1226
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Srutko1226 on Jul 10, 10 6:09 PM
The voice of the girl was like a bad dream. I wouldn't buy this even at $2.99.

Has anyone noticed that games are getting like movies? The first one is great.The second in the series is not as great and the third is down right disappointing.

Maybe we don't need a new game every day...maybe we just need a great game once a month?

badoodie
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by badoodie on Jul 10, 10 7:59 PM
What a huge mistake to buy this without reading the reviews. I blindly bought this based on my love for the previous Dream Chronicles games. Sadly, the love affair is over.

He look goods on the outside but on the inside it's just fluff.

[Post New]by crusty63 on Jul 10, 10 10:01 PM
I was excited to see a new dream chronicles, but the excitement soon died, why do they frequently do this, it's as they get bored and can't wait to get it over with. I found it way too predictable and I was looking for a few more destinations on the map, but even my magical reveal let me down. Please inventors of Syberia and Paradise don't do this to us.

Cheers Pond Buddies, Crusty 65

JudyAlex
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by JudyAlex on Jul 10, 10 10:52 PM
I just finished DC Book of Air.....I loved the first three, but like most posts, I also agree that this one was way too short and the storyline did not entertain me nearly as much as the first three. Hopefully, the creators of this game will read these posts and develop the next DC more like the first ones. I also bought this game based on how great the first games were, but I will most certainly do the full demo on the next one before I decide to buy...I am so glad that I did not buy the Collector's Edition of this one.

[Post New]by FiveCentFather on Jul 10, 10 10:58 PM
Very short and not very challenging. The only puzzle that took any time at all was the one with the water and the scale.

I'm glad I only used a credit on this one.

[Post New]by soundblaster29 on Jul 11, 10 1:45 AM
I was also VERY disappointed in this newest Dream Chronicles installment. I loved the first 3, and I thought they got increasingly challenging and complex and beautiful with each one. But The Book of Air was so short! I beat it in about 2 hours of gameplay, it was ridiculous. Absolutely not worth the $19.95 I spent for the collector's edition. I really love the DC series so I hope they continue with more games, but they need to go back to the style of DC 3: The Chosen Child - long, intricate, complicated, non-linear, requiring you to often retrace your steps and re-look at situations and environments.

fauxgina
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by fauxgina on Jul 11, 10 1:54 AM
Someone complained about the map not being explored enough. Well, perhaps the girl's travels will continue in the next game, using this same map and travelling in this same balloon!

Yeah, that was me. I did acknowledge the fact that it felt obvious that there was room for at least one sequel to this game based on that feature. Specifically, I wrote:

I liked the idea of using a map to navigate around different areas -- but there was so much of the map that went unexplored! I imagine that future games in this series will invoke the rest of the elements -- water, earth, and fire -- so that goes some way towards explaining why the map was so underutilized in this game.

You make a good point when you say that you take each game as a separate entity. Based on several factors (the shift in main character, the new way of moving around the landscape in the game), I'd say this game is intentionally not in the same vein as the previous three DC games with Faye as the main character-- which is fair enough. "Stand on the shoulder of giants" and whatnot. Unfortunately, whether it's part of the same series or not, it doesn't seem to have met with most players' expectations.

It's great that you enjoyed this game so much, and I think that even though I felt it was a waste of my time to play, developers can only try to make a game they think people will like. It just sounds like they failed to meet the standards they'd set for themselves with their previous games (in the opinion of what seems to be the majority of their fan base). I hope that more people feel like you do about the next instalment, but I think in order for them to do that, the developers need to take some of the quite constructive criticisms we've seen here to heart when they make it! At the very least, for you and others like you who thoroughly enjoyed this game, the series can only move from strength to strength.

cynz1
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by cynz1 on Jul 11, 10 2:13 AM
I usually check out the comments and reviews before buying, but didn't do that this time. What a mistake!
The game was way too short and the story ended up being quite boring.
What a let down.

bluesruley2k
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

Terrible!

[Post New]by bluesruley2k on Jul 11, 10 2:28 AM
Easily the most RIDICULOUS game I have ever tried to play. Impossible...Makes no sense what-so-ever. Even after looking up answers in the walkthrough it still makes absolutely NO sense!

slepless777
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by slepless777 on Jul 11, 10 8:42 AM
Yeah, as much as I love the other Dream Chronicles games, this one was just sub-par. The puzzles were either too easy, too annoying or impossible to figure out. I ended up skipping the last 4, and I usually NEVER skip or use hints at all.
The story is dumb, the girl's voice belongs in a game called Nightmares Chronicles and the game is ridiculously short. I'm glad I didn't actually spend any money on this and used a coupon.

[Post New]by bikerchick3499 on Jul 11, 10 5:03 PM
VERY disappointed in this game. I loved the previous Dream Chronicles games, but this one was such a letdown. WAY too short and just not up to the previous standards of the DC games. I can't believe I wasted a BF credit for that. But, then, what else would I have purchased with that credit? There really haven't been many good BF games for quite some time. Thinking SERIOUSLY about dropping my subscription.

[Post New]by rdjEsquire on Jul 12, 10 8:36 AM
I concur with most of what has been posted. When I saw that the next DC game was coming out I was thrilled and didn't even bother to play the demo. Lesson learned. I am a slow player and rarely finish games in one sitting but I don't even think this took me 2 hours. Graphics were great but would have preferred they had waited to release until they had an interesting story and challenging puzzles. And a better bridge between the end of the 2nd game and this one. Or better yet, a different game set shortly after the 2nd! Very disappointing.

Pleiadestar
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by Pleiadestar on Jul 12, 10 11:47 AM
i am a HUGE fan of the Dream Chronicles games, and was very happy to see that there was a new one out there...however, the game is way too short compared to the other games and also way too easy. Unfortunately for my wallet, I purchased this game untried, because of the name. Now I know better.

tigerbice
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by tigerbice on Jul 12, 10 12:42 PM
I have all the other DC games and I've really got to say that this one is a real disappointment.I agree with the comment about they "dumbed it down".Wish I could get my credit back on this one.

warmbear
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by warmbear on Jul 12, 10 2:25 PM
Here we go.. I have to reiteriate what many are saying on this thread.

1.) Game is far too short, too few puzzles and they are too simple - The game length itself played like it was a demo.

2.) The girl's voice makes you want to run your fingernails on a chalkboard, and her simpleton repetition of what you already know grows more and more annoying as the game progresses. The grandfather's text notes are only fit for a first grade child.

3.) "Dream Pieces" - If you are going to do this sort of thing in a game, make them easier to spot, this was very tedious, and not fun/challenging/interesting at all.

Very disappointed overall with this game, and I guess I should know by now that I need to read the reviews before I buy.

[Post New]by drlnikki on Jul 12, 10 2:51 PM
Agree - waste of credit, pissed i wasted it. The others were much better. Only one decent puzzle in the whole game, the rest my toddler could have figured out. Plus its so short its ridiculous. Like half a game.

togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by togood2be on Jul 12, 10 3:25 PM
Note to self, read reviews before I buy lol I too was also disappointed with this one. The other dream chronicles were better, finding gems in this one is way too easy..and it was over in less than an afternoon. The only thing I did like was filling the fuel tank lol

[Post New]by LadyGreenWitch on Jul 12, 10 4:56 PM
Boy do I wish that I had read these reviews first. I bought after playing the demo, thinkging that it was just the beginning, and they were trying to start off slowly. I didn't realize that they had dumbed down the entire game . It was so dissapointing after the previous versions having been so much fun. Let's hope that they haven't storyboarded the entire trilogy and will take some feedback before moving on with the next game in the trilogy.

I really like having voices in the game, but unfortunately I have to agree with several other comments that the voice over for Lyra wasn't particularly well done. It also would have helped if they had given you the background for her in the game and not just in the description. Wasn't she just a baby when her mother found her at the end of the last trilogy? Seems like they may have skipped ahead just a bit too far.

I'm still crossing my fingers for the next two. It seems to be so rare to have the imagination and interesting puzzles in games these days when most of them seem to rely on HidObs and a few simple side games.

Hope everyone has a super day.

LGW

Edited on 07/12/2010 at 5:02:47 PM PST

Go to: