rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Great Gatsby

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Jul 15, 10 6:17 PM
I really wanted to like this game. The fact that I brought it was a HUGE mistake. This game is so BORING that it puts me to sleep. Its no fun looking for tiny hidden objects over and over again. This game is so BORING.

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Jul 15, 10 6:31 PM

I PERSONALLY LOVED this game!!!!

( I didn't find it boring at all)

I can't stop playing it and have commented three times so far in heartfelt FAVOUR!!!!!

I-Play...thanks for a WONDERFUL interpretation!!!!

(Fingers crossed for more games based on great classic literature!!!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 15, 10 8:09 PM
immediately, my thoughts turned to the green light across the way...

and there it was! the light, the fun, the music, the sneaking around and the cocktail parties... i have not purchased yet, but know that i will... i have to find out if we'll have to make the "mint julep's" too!

i like the options and the bonuses in this game... you can find the hidden objects in the animated scenes or skip them... you can have the voiceover on or off [you get a trophy for completing so many levels with it on, though] and even skip whole scenes played out from the story... the mini-games are a great mix of stuff you usually don't get in a hidden object game... in addition to the lists of items to find in every scene, there are also books hidden - which if you find, will fill your library - and letters to secret words - which if you guess correctly, earns you bonus points and eventually trophies for certain quantities...

the trophy system is something a little unique also... i've seen the "here's your trophy" and go to the "trophy room" to see them... and i've seen "wow! with these points i can get..." and use your bounty to decorate a house or improve your business... with gatsby... you get both! you're awarded trophies for certain milestones AND with the points you accumulate you can decorate your library - not to mention fill it with the books that you find in the scenes along the way...

no comments on hints - other than if you can go five rounds without using one - you get a trophy! and the mini-game puzzles have skip buttons that charge rather quickly - although there are trophies for those, too...

gee... i guess i'm just a trophy gal! but i love this game and all the happy memories it brings with it... it even gets me thinking a little about jeeves and wooster... love hugh laurie and stephen fry!!

oh, i shoulda been a flapper!

Icky_Etardo
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by Icky_Etardo on Jul 15, 10 10:25 PM
I thought this game was FANTASTIC and such a welcome break from the same-old, same-old HOGs that everyone complains about! Everything about this game was top-notch, and there were so many original mini-games and features! First, there were the playable transitions, which was such a clever idea, and so well-executed! The word-guess was a fun addition to perk this game up and raise it above the standard HOG. The mini games in which you assemble things were also fun and challenging. The animation, in which the characters in the HOG scenes blink and move around a bit, was better than your usual fixed scene that most HOGs have. Even the ragtime music was pretty good! I think this is the best game that's been released for a while, and the best HOG that's been released for a LONG while. For those who are bored with it, I don't know what to tell you, maybe HOGs aren't your cup of tea, because this is a particularly fine HOG! A++

nancehere
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by nancehere on Jul 15, 10 11:18 PM
Zippiddeedoodah! What a fabulous game. Can't remember with the exception of maybe a couple of games that I've been this excited about a HOG game. First, the whole concept is terrific. F. Scott Fitzgerald was a wonderful writer, we're talking about great literature here, and The Great Gatsby was always one of my favorites. He had a fascinating personal life, and his first wife and love ended up in a mental institution....very sad story. He married again and created much gossip over the years. Now, for the game? The graphics are just wonderful, the scenes are like lovely illustrations in a good book. I stopped playing the game quickly after two or three scenes as I wanted to save the game for after I buy it tonight. So far I've thoroughly enjoyed the way the game is set up and the challenge is just fine. I'm obviously from an older generation than many of you are and it feels somewhat familiar as it was my mother's generation. So for me it's a beautiful reminder of a totally different lifestyle both good and bad. If you enjoyed this book, then do explore this game. If anyone cares, Gamezebo gave it its highest rating.

Icky_Etardo
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by Icky_Etardo on Jul 15, 10 11:28 PM
Having nipped off to purchase the game, I thought I'd discuss the subject matter of the game a little for those of you who are unfamiliar with The Great Gatsby and the work of F. Scott Fitzgerald. I think I can do it without spoiling the game.

The Great Gatsby was published in 1925 and is considered one of the greatest American novels ever written. It is indeed required reading in most American High Schools, and is on the Modern Library's list of the top 100 novels of the 20th Century.

The Great Gatsby shredded the concept of the American dream of material wealth being equal to happiness. Tom Buchanan is a rich, spoiled jerk, and one wonders why Daisy married him at all. Oh wait, he has money! That explains why she married him. In the Roaring 20s', it was important for a woman to marry well, and unfortunately for Daisy, Tom Buchanan is every mother's definition of "marrying well" for her daughter.

Gatsby has it all too---wealth, mystery, and popularity, but he's shattered by his experiences in WWI and is incapable of really being happy either. Surrounded by cars, the newest toys, and the fabulously wealthy lifestyle of West Egg, Gatsby is still supremely unhappy.

The novel highlights the shallow and decadent lifestyle of the newly rich residents of West Egg. There is a great deal of drinking and fooling around and some violence, but the book does not make light of this; rather, it highlights these behaviors as part of the corruption fostered by excessive wealth and materialism.

In many ways it mimics F. Scott Fitzgerald's real life; he was a severe alcoholic and married "above his class", and was made to pay the price for it throughout his short life. Fitzgerald's wife, Zelda, was a society lady, and Fitzgerald was forced to write short stories and Hollywood scripts to fund their lifestyle, which was work he considered beneath him. Zelda Fitzgerald suffered from schizophrenia and was eventually institutionalized permanently. The couple had one daughter. F. Scott Fitzgerald died in 1940 at the age of 44 of a heart attack at his girlfriend's house. Zelda Fitzgerald died in 1948 at the age of 48 in a fire at the asylum where she was institutionalized.

I highly recommend the book to any of you who haven't read it yet. F. Scott Fitzgerald was a master of the Jazz Age style of writing and was greatly admired by many of his contemporaries such as J.D. Salinger and Ernest Hemingway. The more you know!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 16, 10 12:25 AM
I see mixed opinions here. I was pretty bored after only ten min. I hung on for 30 min and saw no improvement other than the Hint seemed to renew faster after a while.

I have not read the book. I have tried at least 3 times to watch the movie with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow. Never saw the whole movie. It was boring too.

This game seemed to be slow moving and had a number of too-small objects. I did like the Word Game. I also did not care to mix drinks but that wasn't too bad and is certainly part of the times, location and set of people.

It's obvious that some will like it, some not. The small objects are the main stopper for me but there have also been some much better games recently. I may come back to this one day during a long dry spell (please pass the olives).

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 16, 10 1:28 AM
I do think this thread has been an interesting read, and maybe a heads-up to some who may be sensitive about some issues and haven't read The Great Gatsby to know what it's about. (I, for one, am a college grad who never read it, as far as I recall.) Sometimes movies and games based on books are exactly true to those books, and sometimes they are only loosely based on them. So I appreciate those who are very familiar with the book letting us know which is the case here. Is the broken nose scene taken directly from the book? Or is it fabricated to suggest the tone of the book...

Thanks Icky_Etardo for your info .

(I spent my day yesterday playing Burger Rush - quite the intellectual turn, from that to this forum discussion lol.)

Edited on 07/16/2010 at 1:37:26 AM PST

linssue55
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by linssue55 on Jul 16, 10 1:58 AM
I absolutely "LOVE" this game. Very unique, different HOG, innovative and great graphics. I'm buying it. Keep more like this coming!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 16, 10 4:56 AM
gimmegames wrote:...Is the broken nose scene taken directly from the book? Or is it fabricated to suggest the tone of the book...

That's from the book as well.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Jul 16, 10 7:07 AM
I didn't make it all the way through the trial. Something about the game just didn't "speak" to me. I can't put my finger on it. I loved the graphics and how it stayed true to the book. I may go back to it later. It would make a good 2.99 in the future.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jul 16, 10 7:29 AM
Certainly respect the negative reviews, but I beg to disagree. This game is like a piece of literary history. True to the story, true to the times, true to the settings, and true to the people. Great to scroll over the characters and hear what they have to say. The hidden object searches are suitable, the graphics are first-rate, and the soundtrack is really appropriate. It's not dull, it's just smooth, relaxing, and entertaining. Almost makes you want to have lived back in the "Art-Deco" 1920s.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Jul 16, 10 8:06 AM
Thanks to Janie42 and everyone that posted a REVIEW of gameplay..sorry thats the only one I saw because I got tired of wading through the long discussion posts and trying to avoid spoilers just to see if I could skip minis, no timers etc. Since those are options, its a must buy for me.

My 2 .. I'm a huge book worm and love reading the classics. This is a true classic,ranked second in the Modern Library's lists of the 100 Best Novels of the 20th Century. Its set in a different time and just like how silly it is to put a "smoking kills" message in the new western game (Imagine a wild west tale without smoking, gambling, drinking and "dance hall girls" at the saloon lol wouldn't be much of a western!) any good remake of classic books/stories should stick to the book!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 16, 10 8:39 AM
I don't think the original post by _Angel_angel was particularly judgmental - it was just a statement of how the game made her feel - that it tugged at the fringes of her comfort zone in some ways. Not sure all the comments by others that followed were quite so relevant...

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Jul 16, 10 12:02 PM
Its a comments and reviews thread-- who cares if the posts are particularly relevant? Angel was within bounds to air her apprehensions, others were within bounds to respond to her concerns... My point was simply to read the book. I hate it when people try to police what others should be posting. People have different ways of thinking about and discussing things. Why not let it be? Or why try to craft a simple discussion into an argument?

Edited on 07/16/2010 at 12:03:25 PM PST

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Jul 16, 10 3:33 PM
I purchased this game and have been playing it for a good part of the afternoon. What a fun game! The hidden objects aren't impossible to find, most are in plain sight. I especially like finding the letters in each scene and guessing the secret word. I always wanted a library, so using points to buy furnishings for the library is a nice extra, as are the typing mini-games. All in all, this is a fun game for a novice HOG player. It is nice to play a game without having to refer to a walkthrough for each step.

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Jul 16, 10 3:44 PM
froggie10 wrote:Boy people it's just a Game! And a different one from all the other HOGS,I've never read the book or seen the movie but it is a definite Buy for me

I completely agree!

Edited on 07/16/2010 at 3:45:09 PM PST

sandyca
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
450 Posts

[Post New]by sandyca on Jul 16, 10 3:52 PM
I also will be purchasing this game, I agree that it was cool to have the different extra's in this game, being able to purchase items for decorating and the secret words as well. Great game!

Ridnhi
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Ridnhi on Jul 16, 10 6:00 PM
I love the game!!! And I love what ember89, Icky-Etardo, and Nancehere have said in their posts. Born the last of the twenties I felt emotionally tied in to the game. It is so very accurate. Made me somewhat uncomfortable to remember those old days and yet so very familiar also. Thanks you three for your explanations to those who feel unconnected to these way back times. I think it does us good to see how different cultures, generations, and world views look at life. We can't be so narrow that we think only OUR way is the right way. We spend our whole life becoming who we truly are (if we are true to ourselves) and its a shallow life to only see one way of doing or thinking. I love being able to choose what I know/feel from study, prayer, and experience, is right for me. But if we only know such a narrow way of looking at things...........how can we know for sure its right??? This forum is a great way to hear from others how they feel, and why............I think its great!!! Thanks BFG for a really good game. I'm enjoying it immensely!!!

[Post New]by 1metsgirl on Jul 16, 10 6:08 PM
I read this in high school, and it was a GREAT book! It kinda follows the book, it would be very difficult to make a game out of one of the greatest books ever written. You know how you had to read so many Boring books in HS, this one actually held a 16 year olds attention. Robert Redford played Gatsby in the movie and Mia Farrow was in it too. I liked the hour I played it but I'm still not sure if I'm going to buy it. I don't know how long it is and it wasn't hard to find the hidden objects so I got through it pretty quickly, I got to the part where you're asked to find the days of the week.Take Care fishies and play hard.Lisa

PRAYING FOR ANOTHER MIRACLE SEASON!!!!GO METS!!!!!!

Go to: