redrosesdz
Catfish
Catfish
1,691 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Journalistic Stories

[Post New]by redrosesdz on Jul 19, 10 8:30 AM
I am laughing so hard, I've got tears. OK, there have been a lot of games with poor English, but this one takes the cake! Not only is the English horrific in the dialogue and found notes, but the clues, too. Come on! Who knew that a "tier lever" was a crowbar?

Spoiler Alert:

Imogenie, Use the brush on the lantern, to get oil on it. Use the oiled brush on the wall switch. A light shines on the 2nd sack. Use the sacks on the sand and play the mini-game. It creates a 3rd sack that is just right for the rope pull.

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Jul 19, 10 8:32 AM
The reviews certainly save me lots of wasted time...thanks fishies

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Jul 19, 10 8:43 AM
Not a buy for me. Items way to small, poor storyline and too many mini-games that take away from the flow of the story (what little there is). I thought that the Wizard of Oz was a this one is just the same.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Jul 19, 10 9:10 AM
purplemist wrote:I gave up the minute I saw incorrect grammer.
So no buy for me.

Thank you! I am so very glad to know that I am not the only one that finds this extremely irritating. I realize that English is not everyone's first language; but if you are going to market a game to English-speaking people, at least show respect by having intelligible translations. I can put up with a lot of minor imperfections in a game, but dialogue, instructions and object descriptions like we find in this game are not acceptable.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Jul 19, 10 9:21 AM
thistle809 wrote:
purplemist wrote:I gave up the minute I saw incorrect grammer.
So no buy for me.

Thank you! I am so very glad to know that I am not the only one that finds this extremely irritating. I realize that English is not everyone's first language; but if you are going to market a game to English-speaking people, at least show respect by having intelligible translations. I can put up with a lot of minor imperfections in a game, but dialogue, instructions and object descriptions like we find in this game are not acceptable.

People complaining about "grammer" when they can't spell grammar!!! Oh dear.

I didn't mind the bad translations, rather quaint and I knew what they were trying to say. No problem for me. I think this could have been a good game, I quite enjoyed all the puzzles, but I feel that the cursor was very picky and the dialogue came and went soo quickly before you could read it. Very annoying.

A good try is the best I can manage.

[Post New]by lvd162 on Jul 19, 10 9:46 AM
I don't understand why game developers don't read these forums and design games that people will enjoy and buy. This forum by itself is full of useful information for developers.
The problem with the cursor is really annoying, the items are too small and the pop-up dialog is more than annoying; that problem alone would prevent me from buying this game. I only played for 10 minutes before giving up.
This is the second game in a row that is just plain horrible. And what's up with BigFish offering these awful games?

[Post New]by sweetTee12 on Jul 19, 10 10:01 AM
I really like this game, for me it played quite nicely, story line doesn't bother me as i skip through it in games anyway, the cursor did float alittle bit but really wasn't that bad, hint system worked really well for me, and the fact is for me i found if i wasn't sure what the item was being asked for all i had to do was click on the word in the list and it showed what it looked like in the camera to the side of the list, i found the mini games not to difficult.

i will be buying this game soon

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Jul 19, 10 10:11 AM
Two days in a row with games I dont even want to try. I have 5 games so far this month and waiting on the last one to fill my card. Hope something comes up before the end of the month.

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Jul 19, 10 10:16 AM
For us who aren't native English speakers, bad translations and strange names on objects are doubly difficult. Playing a game in a foreign language is challenge enough in itself since many words are new/unknown - but when things aren't even translated right, it gets totally confusing. The "tier level" is just one example... there is no way a non-English person can guess that it should translate to crowbar... it's hard enough remembering what a "crowbar" means in the first place.... LOL!

Correctly translated English in games is an absolute MUST!

Apart from that, I didn't think the game was as bad as the Wizard of Oz, but it's definetely not on my buy-list. The items were easier to see, and there weren't any lack of hints - but the hints didn't do much good. I was totally lost in the lab scene, where things on the counter were sparkling but wouldn't accept any of the things in my inventory. It took me a long time and much angry clicking before that - mostly by chance - resolved itself.

I played it for 40 mins before I had to give up. By then I had been aimlessly walking through several rooms at that theater. Most of the things were found, but I couldn't get the book of translation to work - the hint just indicated it without saying how I could use it after I found the extra page - and there was a cigarette case on the card table that I had no way to reach. The hints kept indicating the table, the list told me the item I should find there, but it wouldn't let me zoom in on the table or pick it up. In the end I just gave up.

No buy for me. Definetely!

Edited on 07/19/2010 at 10:19:00 AM PST

[Post New]by briteredlips on Jul 19, 10 10:26 AM
Wow, pretty bad game all in all. Also that Wizard of Oz game. Two big losers. Anyway, I have plenty of really great games to play so, see ya later.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Jul 19, 10 10:31 AM
Sigh... could've been a good game. I didn't like the translation of objects although you do have the option to look at a shadow and see what they want you to look for. The cursor had a mind of it's own so that made things very jerky. No buy for me. Maybe tomorrow

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Jul 19, 10 10:43 AM
Welcome IVD162 to the pond! What a game to dip your toes into, huh? Thank you for taking the time to comment on the game, and everyone else for their reviews. It saves me the agony of downloading and coming to the same conclusions.

There are just too many other really great games on my list to play!!

BF - you have been very, very good to us this month, so we forgive you for 2 bad ones in a row. Let's not try to make a habit of this, tho!!

cg

lynnie11
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by lynnie11 on Jul 19, 10 10:49 AM
Another really bad game. I'm always surprised when BF releases something this bad. I think a lot of the problem was in the translating from original language. A lot of stuff doesn't make sense. But it's still too hard to play - clicking on items doesn't necessarily get them for you. It takes a long time to combine things. It seems like they just didn't finish putting the game together properly. And the music sucks.

julese53
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by julese53 on Jul 19, 10 10:51 AM
This is the first time I've given a game a super big hands down. The cursor was too wonky, the music was annoying, and I had to read the instructions on the puzzles 2 or 3 times before I could figure out what they wanted, so I'm assuming they were originally in a different language than English.

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Jul 19, 10 10:54 AM
Well all of your reviews have saved me some time 2 days in a row so "Thanks".

nan431
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by nan431 on Jul 19, 10 11:07 AM
should have read review before wasting time to download, didn't try oz and glad of it, this one is a no buy for me nan

linssue55
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by linssue55 on Jul 19, 10 11:11 AM
Win 32 error, cursor is stuck on slow motion, too much talking. Definately won't buy.

smartsue
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by smartsue on Jul 19, 10 12:02 PM
The floating cursor is enough to turn me off! When you can't play a game without fighting with your mouse, it's no fun! Will pass on this buy.

[Post New]by drosati01 on Jul 19, 10 12:13 PM
No buy for me also. I could get past the intro. The screen and mouse were shakey. I have never had this kind of trouble with a game before. Send it back to development.

Jeriann64
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Jeriann64 on Jul 19, 10 12:37 PM
I hated both, journalistic story & wizard of oz. I agree with everyone on the cursor in JS; it floats all over the place & I, also don't like somebody popping up & telling you what to do all the time. I think I played it for 30 mins. tops. As for the wizard, I EXPECTED a cartoon, like Alice in Wonderland. The graphics were Horrible !!!! My all-time favorite is still, Return to Ravenhurst. It seems to me that nobody makes games like Mystery Case Files.

Go to: