KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Pirate's Treasure: An Oliver Hook Mystery

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Jul 21, 10 9:13 PM
Thanks for all the reviews! I cannot get this game to install - and after reading the reviews, I won't bother figuring out the problem.

Thanks fishies!!!!!

JudyAlex
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by JudyAlex on Jul 21, 10 11:47 PM
Well, I also got the white blank screen during the game.....but I am not going to buy this one either because it is just plain boring. Everyone is right in that the last few have just been awful. I did just finish Elixir which was great fun...now that one was not boring. I, too, love HOGs, but especially those with a story and some adventure. Please keep those type coming....thank you much!!

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Jul 22, 10 8:20 AM
I was surprised to see how negative the comments were for this game.I thoroughly enjoyed it and may end up buying it. I liked the relaxed play, having almost unlimited clues no clicking penalties and enough of the objects able to be found without help. I also found the background music to be very soothing. If you want a game full of challenges, this may not be the one for you, but if you just want to spend a bit of time kicking back relaxing this is great.

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Jul 22, 10 11:16 AM
I really wanted to like this one! The fact that there is no story is fine with me. And, the graphics could have been great, but after the first HOG or two they got hazey and frustrating. I liked the puzzles, but how about some info on how to play! Plus, the jewel game (without directions) crashed my computer. So it's a no buy for this HOG-er.

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Jul 22, 10 11:22 AM
wow i'm surprised by all the negative comments. I thought the game was fine. Not the quality of MCF, but then few are.

There were no dark scenes i ran into, the items were not fuzzy, the music was okay. So what if it didn't have a plot. Alot of ppl just blow by dialog that reveals the plot anyway.

What i wanted to know (and the reason i came to the forums) is how long is this game.

I enjoyed my hour. I particularly liked collecting the gold I like games where there is something to look for besides the stuff on the list. So, i give it a

silkywings
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,043 Posts

[Post New]by silkywings on Jul 22, 10 11:31 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:Ah, such impassioned plea's for more, you Oliver's out there. More adventure, more story, more challenging puzzles, more levels, more length . . . more more more. When did we become so in need for satiation? When did we all become so cynical if a game didn't rise to the occasion or pass muster with those of us who demand it meet every critera we have come to expect or that each of us has a fondness for? We are all different with so many different tastes for any particular aspect of a game, that the demands we make and the criteria we want met, and the appetite we all want whetted is virtually impossible for game developers to assuage. And when did "junkpile" become a dirty word?

It wasn't all that long ago when there was this fun little game which was a seminal and pioneering game in the genre of HOGs and paved the way for almost every HOG since. So much so that gaming sites had to actually dedicate a category to HOG's alone. That game was Mystery Case Files: Huntsville. A simple premise, go to locations and find the hidden objects, a few puzzles thrown in, with the idea being you can figure out who the criminal was. A game so many so thoroughly enjoyed that we soon got Mystery Case Files: Prime Suspect. And the market was soon being inundated with copycat HOG's, different stories, different pictures, but the premise was the same. And then we had to have objects to find in different areas, or broken pieces to put together, and use somewhere else, and then interactive puzzles and object placement, and more and more and more and more to the point MCF came out with Dire's Grove, one of the most complex, memory-gobbling, graphics/video straining and difficult adventure games out there. It could not be classified as a true HOG any longer, nor any of its kind.

People criticize Spintop Games (Amazing Adventures, Mystery PI, and Escape From) and the Agatha Christie games for coming out with the "same old junkpile hog" with too-easy puzzles, no real story, and no challenging tasks to complete. However, these are games that respect the original concept of what an HOG game was supposed to be, finding hidden objects. And they continue to produce these games why? Because these games have found a bigger fan base than one might think and are being bought and played around the world.

So let's all take a deep breath, realize that we can't have everything we want every day we want it, and just be glad we have computers and DSL to play the games we do love.

silkywings
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,043 Posts

[Post New]by silkywings on Jul 22, 10 11:38 AM
I agree with you Goofy...we all sound so spoiled with the games. I was just thinking of the tremendous pressure BF has to put out a game every day for a year and every year after that...365 games...are that many being made? What is the percentage of HOGS, Adventure, Match 3, card games, etc.

I love the more intricate games but lately I am getting tired of all the work necessary to complete them. I bought an old game on the daily deal caleld "Something Special"...just a special find the objects game and it is nice to play for me now. I don't understand the distain for "junkpile" games..not sure what that means. I appreciate the graphics/artwork and the clever ways items are put in a scene.

It seems so many comments are whining about content. I go back and play the early games quite often...MCF Huntsville, etc and other games from a time when we were so lucky to have this entertainment.

BF is still the best for me. The only time I have bought from others is the Little Shop Series (5 or 6 of those) because BF doesn't carry them.

Let

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Jul 22, 10 1:22 PM
I played the hour and mildly enjoyed it simply because it was a string of puzzles. The underwater coral scene was almost impossible to play, and I'm good at the match the scenes games. Very simplistic outside of the oft mentioned tiny graphics. However, I have insomnia and it was an excellent cure for that. Took me a few tries to get all the way through the hour, which is probably why I didn't hate it as much as others seemed to. I wouldn't waste computer space on this if it was a freebie.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Jul 22, 10 4:09 PM
Does anyone at BFG read these reviews? Wizard of Oz, Journalistic Stories, and now this! What's going on? I thought they Beta tested these games. I signed up for that, and haven't received any game to test. If I had received this one, you know what my response would have been. So disappointed! Will the 5th time be the charm?

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jul 22, 10 8:42 PM
I only played 20 minutes and decided this is a No for me. First it is a junk pile style of HOG and I do not like junk piles. I like 'Spot the Differnence', 'Pipes', etc puzzles and this game has them. I also feel if we are in a certain era, I do not like items from a future era in the **** scenes. I had other issues with this game but others have already said them.

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Jul 23, 10 7:20 AM
Hi Fellow fishes, how I wish I'd read all your comments before downloading the trial for this game. I couldn't believe just how boring it was. Agree with you all about the lack of story line but thought the underwater scenes may have enchanted me (some hopes!). No, this one is not for me and I definately won't be buying.
Love Pat_ric_ia x

popookaka
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by popookaka on Jul 23, 10 12:55 PM
this is a horrible,horrible game. The graphics are the worst ever. blah..........

NouniSmile
Koi
Koi
281,317 Posts

[Post New]by NouniSmile on Jul 23, 10 8:20 PM
Graphics are bad. Puzzles are too easy.
No buy for me...

Nouni

Emmmms1974
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Emmmms1974 on Jul 24, 10 2:40 AM
Only got to the 3rd place to search on this game as it kept making my pc crash on that level (4 times in all!) must say of what I had played I didn't really like it and couldn't really see me buying it either!

[Post New]by knickknackblue on Jul 24, 10 2:58 AM
BossBrat wrote:After the 'stinkers' of the past few days, I really, really made myself try to like this one. Well, I lasted 15 minutes and I HAD to quit! It was quite horrid.

1. I decided to see how the hint system worked so I clicked on one of the items in the first 'find the difference' scene. It showed me an area and no matter how many times I clicked in the general area - nada! So, I tried again. It showed me a different area. And, to see if I was right, I wanted for the hint to refill (very quick) and clicked until all the differences were found and not one time did it go near the spot it showed me the first time.

2. The puzzles were so simple a 1st grader could do them. I mean, come on, 4 pieces of rope to turn to finish the puzzle?

3. The graphics were okay but the items were just tossed about and I spent more time looking for 'treasure' than I did the items I was supposed to find. I got rather tired of it, to be honest, but you had to find the coins, necklaces, etc. to have money to spend in the treasure store.

4. And, last but not least, my BIGGEST turn-off on any hidden object game: there were SEVERAL of the same type of item you were supposed to find. I remember one was finding a globe and there were 2 and the other I recall is finding shoes, 2 different kinds of pair, and there were at least 4 or 5 pair and some of them were, of course, the same!

THIS IS ANOTHER BIG THUMB'S DOWN! I love BF, but come on already! We want a good game! Stop putting out junk just because you promised a game a day. If you can't give us quality games, don't give us anything at all. We don't really care if you put out a game every day, just that the games you put out are worth our time to download and play!

Ditto----this one was a snoozer!!

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jul 25, 10 2:31 PM
I didn't think this was a bad game and if it were a DD I'd buy it. Overall it is way too easy for an experienced gamer. The one really big downfall for me is the spot the difference games... I really, really don't like those. And although the graphics were a bit grainy the objects were still relatively easy to find. I would encourage the developers to keep working at it, they are on the right track... just improve the graphics and work on developing the story a bit more.

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Jul 26, 10 2:35 PM
Not a bad game but I won't buy it now...when it becomes the DD I will consider. All in all, just a regular HOG and mini games easy too.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Jul 26, 10 10:56 PM
goofyduck77 wrote:Ah, such impassioned plea's for more, you Oliver's out there. More adventure, more story, more challenging puzzles, more levels, more length . . . more more more. When did we become so in need for satiation? When did we all become so cynical if a game didn't rise to the occasion or pass muster with those of us who demand it meet every critera we have come to expect or that each of us has a fondness for? We are all different with so many different tastes for any particular aspect of a game, that the demands we make and the criteria we want met, and the appetite we all want whetted is virtually impossible for game developers to assuage. And when did "junkpile" become a dirty word?

It wasn't all that long ago when there was this fun little game which was a seminal and pioneering game in the genre of HOGs and paved the way for almost every HOG since. So much so that gaming sites had to actually dedicate a category to HOG's alone. That game was Mystery Case Files: Huntsville. A simple premise, go to locations and find the hidden objects, a few puzzles thrown in, with the idea being you can figure out who the criminal was. A game so many so thoroughly enjoyed that we soon got Mystery Case Files: Prime Suspect. And the market was soon being inundated with copycat HOG's, different stories, different pictures, but the premise was the same. And then we had to have objects to find in different areas, or broken pieces to put together, and use somewhere else, and then interactive puzzles and object placement, and more and more and more and more to the point MCF came out with Dire's Grove, one of the most complex, memory-gobbling, graphics/video straining and difficult adventure games out there. It could not be classified as a true HOG any longer, nor any of its kind.

People criticize Spintop Games (Amazing Adventures, Mystery PI, and Escape From) and the Agatha Christie games for coming out with the "same old junkpile hog" with too-easy puzzles, no real story, and no challenging tasks to complete. However, these are games that respect the original concept of what an HOG game was supposed to be, finding hidden objects. And they continue to produce these games why? Because these games have found a bigger fan base than one might think and are being bought and played around the world.

So let's all take a deep breath, realize that we can't have everything we want every day we want it, and just be glad we have computers and DSL to play the games we do love.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Jul 26, 10 10:59 PM
Spankings are not in order for all of us who share opinions or just tell-it-like-it-is ... rather the contrary.
The opinions and comments here are of value, and I am appreciative of the time taken to share. To be so discourteous to interject by saying (in so many words) -my opinion matters but yours does not- is not only supercilious, it is unproductive.

[Post New]by MsGretchen on Aug 15, 10 9:12 PM
Lot of misspelled words.

Go to: