BoboKat
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by BoboKat on Jul 22, 10 11:24 AM
Hi Fishies! Does anyone know how long this game is? At end of demo time I had collected 3 pieces of amulet with what looks like only 3 more to go. Is it only 6 spirits? If anyone has any info on length I'd love to hear it.
Loved the game play for sure! May buy CE but at a cross roads depending on length.
Thanks in advance for answers!
Have fun!
BoboKat

detecto63
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by detecto63 on Jul 22, 10 11:30 AM
I Really love this game so far. It's really great. Keeps my interest. Reminds me of Nightfall myst.: curseof the opera. I bought it. Sure would love to buy this one. But as I've said before. Being retired and on limited income. I can't afford it. I'll have to wait. I hate that. Oh well!!!

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 22, 10 11:32 AM
You're probably right, annatar, but with my wish list, not
a problem for me.

cll026497
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by cll026497 on Jul 22, 10 12:13 PM
I did buy it after I swore I wouldnt because of the wasted money on Dream Chronicles Air but this one was worth it, thank you for making up for the dry spell.

Icky_Etardo
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by Icky_Etardo on Jul 22, 10 12:20 PM
annatar wrote:Hmmmm, first they frustrate us to desperation with a week of hopelessly bad games, and then they present the CE edition of a very good game? Of course a lot more people will throw themselves head over heels at it now, after a week of starvation - without bothering to wait for the regular edition - than would have happened otherwise.
Just like when starving lions in the Collosseum were finally let loose on gladiators.

I smell marketing tactics behind this... hmmm

So - the next time they give us a dry spell week, we'll know what to expect by the end of it....

It's a pretty good strategy! I'm considering buying the CE because I think I might need the strategy guide, since I've already consulted it once. However, I'm worried that I've already gotten through such a large part of the game that I'll be disappointed if I do buy the CE...Then again, I'm really bored right now, and you only live once...

Blast you, Felix, you're too clever by far for a fish! I think I will buy the CE and start over from the beginning without rushing and trying to beat the 1 hour clock!

Coco157
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Coco157 on Jul 22, 10 12:23 PM
I just played the demo and will definitely buy it when it comes w/o CE. I'd love to have the CE, but alas, am unemployed which is why I have time to play all these great games. I have 4 on my list 'to buy' right now. I really enjoyed the graphics, the quick rate of collecting clues, the task guidance from the book, even the hokey little dialog parts when reviving ghosts were kind of cute. So far, I found no 'dirty tricks' like hiding HOG items in darkness or making them small or poorly drawn. I do wonder what happens if you run out of clues though. TY, BF !

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Jul 22, 10 12:30 PM
Just finished demo of this game and LOVED IT. The first game in this series had also made a hit with me, so I was pleased to see the sequel was available.

I'll be waiting for the standard edition; for, like many other fishies, I don't wish to pay extra for the built-in strategy guide, the concept art and wallpapers. However, I might consider buying the Collectors Edition were there more bonus game-play time. From what has been said, it sounds like there is only about an hour of bonus playing time in this game and that isn't enough to tempt me to purchase it.

I liked the idea someone mentioned earlier about BFG offering an option of the game with only the bonus game-play time for around $10.99. This could, perhaps, be made available on the same day as the Collectors Edition... or the following day. I truly feel that many more fishies would pay that much extra for a deal such as that. I know it would certainly tempt me. I hope BFG will give this idea some thought.

Classicaljazz

prochef
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by prochef on Jul 22, 10 12:48 PM
I just finished the demo and really liked it, maybe even more than the first one, but there is no way I'm buying the CE of any game after the fiasco of the past ones. I will wait for the regular version to come out and afford another two games. I agree with the theory that BF gives weeks of boring games to entice you to buy a great game at a higher price because you are so hungry for a great game. This game seems like a winner but I'll wait a few weeks to buy it. I also liked the origami bird and the bike falling over, for no other reason than pure whimsy! Nice touch!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jul 22, 10 12:51 PM
I really like this game, but will wait until the walkthrough comes out to see how long it is. I don't want to pay the extra money if it is a short game.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 22, 10 1:07 PM
on the main menu screen, there was a tab for "extras" which allowed you to open the strategy guide... i'm basing my time playing at about 2+1/2 hours as i had finished most of the tasks leading into chapter five: the pharmacy... perhaps, this is one of those games where the last chapters are longer than the rest, but i'm not taking the chance with a CE... $7 is lot less to pound the forehead over...

and i looked at the book, ready the story... i didn't use hints, but collected a lot of mirrors... i played advanced... i think i did just about everything to make this game as tough as i could, except for finding items in order... guess i'll just have to find a new way to make it last longer when the regular edition is released...

_Jinxy_
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by _Jinxy_ on Jul 22, 10 1:33 PM
I too played the demo through and loved this game. It is just as good if not better than the first one.

But with that said I will not be buying the CE as I don't want the extras such as the game guide or the wallpaper.

If it were to be sold for a little extra and included the bonus gamelplay i would go for that.

I was so dissapointed with the CE for Briar Rose as the bonus gameplay was not what I expected, so I am waiting on this one for the regular edition to come out before buying.

gilly85
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by gilly85 on Jul 22, 10 1:44 PM
I always say that if after the hour of a demo I say (in Homer style) dohhhh!!! then it's usually a buy for me.
Great story line and a definite tie in with Royal House of Stone so I knew I wouldn't be let down.
Graphics are clear and lovely to look at. The puzzles are interesting particularly the slot machines and I always love it when I know I need to find things but always, by the time I find them I have forgotten where they belong
The music is humalong pleasant with some background atmospherics to break it up a bit.
I took the chance and played without hints and found it challenging enough without being impossible.
As there is no walkthrough yet I can't say how long it is and the CE will not be on my buy list.
The regular game though - oh yes

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Jul 22, 10 2:41 PM
I see a pattern with the CE's - They come at the end of the month so we will be tempted to buy the more expensive games just to get a filled punch card. This time I'm not buying at that price. I played 15 minutes and although I like it, I don't love it.

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Jul 22, 10 4:17 PM
I really enjoyed this game, but once again feel that $19.99 is pretty expensive. Nobody really wants the wallpapers etc. do they? I would much rather pay a few extra dollars for the bonus adventure and leave it at that.

I am not one to play games again once I have completed them, so $20 is a lot for one day of playing. If I hadn't had my real life to attend to, it would have been only 1/2 a day enjoyment.

Thanks for giving us a good one BFG!

cll026497
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by cll026497 on Jul 22, 10 5:07 PM
I just finished the game and it was well worth the money !!!!! I enjoyed every second of it, it was challanging but I only had to use the strategy guide 3 times which is pretty good for me lol.

MSJMOM
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by MSJMOM on Jul 22, 10 5:49 PM
cll026497 wrote:I just finished the game and it was well worth the money !!!!! I enjoyed every second of it, it was challanging but I only had to use the strategy guide 3 times which is pretty good for me lol.

How long did it take you to finish?

vitomojo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by vitomojo on Jul 22, 10 6:23 PM
Everything looked promising. I enjoyed the graphics, the music wasn't intrusive and the gameplay was easy to understand without the tutorial. I loved the first game and was glad that it didn't deviate too far from the type of play in that one. The only complaint I can make is that the demo ends after you find the cap for the guard. It always make me a little suspicious when you don't get to play the full hour and makes me wonder if it is because you could complete the whole game within the demo time. I also noticed that I only had two pieces of amulet to complete at the time that the demo "kicked me out". I wonder if this means that there are only two more people to free before the game comes to its conclusion or if that just starts a new chapter? I don't want another experience like I had with the last Dream Chronicles. I will wait and see what other people say after purchasing the game but if it is long enough I will be buying it.

[Post New]by happygrams18 on Jul 22, 10 8:50 PM
I did the demo of the game. I thought it was marvelous. I did not get far...still trying to get the grate up...can't find the screwdriver and still trying to find the third token.

I just want to add my two cents worth: I really thought this game was done well...at least the demo was. The music was so-so. The graphics great and so were the mini-games.

I will buy this game...not now...but when it comes out at the smaller price. I wish I could support you developers...you deserve it after your fantastic work...but if I did, that means I would be buying quality plus and not quanity plus. I could only afford one $20.00 game a month and yet get 3-6 others at $6.99 and $2.99.

I love these kind of games that you are putting out. More challenging, beautiful and replayable. I own all your really good games now and enjoy my "library" of mysteries and adventure....including Return to Ravenhearst; Dire Grove; Madame Fate, etc.

For those of you who have not tried the demo...give it a try...it doesn't cost anything and that way YOU CAN DECIDE what is good for YOU. I\

Ealo
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by Ealo on Jul 22, 10 9:52 PM
i love this game. I just wish they made maps. I think the graphics are well done and the story also. I also agree with belamba. If they made one of these games a day or at least 1 x a week

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Jul 22, 10 9:54 PM
Half into the demo, and I love this game. The mini-games are different (thank you!) and it's challenging - but not impossible.

That being said, I won't be buying this CE. It's way over what I consider a good value for a game that will only be played once or twice. I don't know what 'concept art' is, but since I've lived this long without it, I rather doubt it has value for me.

And then there are 'amazing wallpapers'. Why would I care (and pay real money) for computer wallpaper? If I was a teenager and the wallpaper was Justin Be...(whatever), then maybe I'd consider it. But, my current wallpaper is priceless (namely my two grandsons) and the web is full of free, cool wallpaper. That leaves a bonus adventure and strategy guide that I should pay $12.96 for? I don't think so.

I'll wait for the regular version, thank you very much!

Go to: